Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

the language used to describe scoring a crushing victory over someone in a videogame has historically not been very good either.

sometimes i think to myself "why is pc master race acceptable?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
because the alternative is filthy console peasants, not undesirable console racial minorities

tbf it is a mixed metaphor

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i hate nazis

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

because the alternative is filthy console peasants, not undesirable console racial minorities

tbf it is a mixed metaphor

then again, gamers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

akadajet posted:

it’s not

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

pretend the race part is actually about benchmarking

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

"pc patricians" would be more alliterative and also fit better with filthy console peasants

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the real answer is that it hails from a simpler time, when we were dumb and stupid fascism was roundly beaten and nazis were a historical joke rather than a serious political force

anyone still using it in 2018 is pretty sus

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

or the normalization of nazi themes in something dull like video games ultimately helped normalize nazis themselves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

the real answer is that it hails from a simpler time, when we were dumb and stupid fascism was roundly beaten and nazis were a historical joke rather than a serious political force

anyone still using it in 2018 is pretty sus

lol yeah the person that coined it was also known for wearing a fedora so it predates even that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

the language used to describe scoring a crushing victory over someone in a videogame has historically not been very good either.

do kids still use "raped" in video games to describe a brutal or seemingly unfair defeat?

because that's what we did back at the turn of the century and i and bunch of my friends at the time used it casually in contexts like "i got raped by that exam." problematic

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

or the normalization of nazi themes in something dull like video games ultimately helped normalize nazis themselves

what if the gamers became the nazis

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Sagebrush posted:

do kids still use "raped" in video games to describe a brutal or seemingly unfair defeat?

because that's what we did back at the turn of the century and i and bunch of my friends at the time used it casually in contexts like "i got raped by that exam." problematic

definitely on twitch yeah

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Or, just maybe, not every societal movement is related to gaming.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

impossible they're the most discriminated against minority in today's society

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

https://twitter.com/hardrock2016/status/1012457357136289798

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

I yelled at a dude for saying he got raped on a hot dog purchase at PNC park in SAS and someone bought me a transphobic avatar in response. some people never grow up or mature.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

we know gamers don't run, they probably can't

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

does this mean that honor matters, or it doesnt. i guess the military cemetery means it does but i dont see how the quote contributes to that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think the creator of that image macro was operating on the intellectual level you are

I imagine it went like this

ME LIKE TROOPS
TROOPS = HONOR
WHO TALK ABOUT HONOR?
VIDEO GAME MAN SAY THING ABOUT HONOR
PERFECT

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that's the magabomber suspect btw

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

free with purchase of 4 or more funko pops

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that is probably the most cogent thing on his timeline :stare:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

please, it's "unaboomer"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

please, it's "unaboomer"

q-nabomber

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

graph posted:

did you know? people, like, login to chome with an account (lol) which then logs them again into youtube (lol)

even better they log into gmail which now automatically logs them onto chrome which logs them into yt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m using a browser made by an advertising company. what could go wrong?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

https://twitter.com/gooffkings/status/1003696849159507968?s=21

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just lol if you're not using Vivaldi.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I find safari very needs suiting, even for development. annoyed I have to keep chrome installed just for hangouts since they blocked any other browser from using it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am now unironic in using edge

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am now unironic in using edge

a person who own they own self

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Today, the radio station that normally has angry middle aged right wingers yelling about immigrants had some sort of feature where people were calmly discussing how they are sad ie is on its deathbed but that their needs are well- suited by edge on Windows 10

e: one of the hosts mentioned that she uses edge, Firefox, and chrome. another host was like "yeah I don't like that. They're [Google] too nosy"

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 28, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the Kim Kommando show, probably. the big right wing talk radio station in my area carries her show, and that and Dave Ramsey are the only two worthwhile things they broadcast between literal hours of right wing screeching

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

only boomers still listen to the radio because it's all garbage in between ads for garbage

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
radio will be helpful when I need a 20 minute notice of my impending nuclear annihilation

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

radio will be helpful when I need a 20 minute notice of my impending nuclear annihilation

with five minutes of ads for car dealerships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
pfft i got one of those alerts over my phone earlier this year

• Locked thread