Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ArmZ posted:

the reality of most privacy issues is no one cares about your stupid life except for the money in your pocket

bingo

did you know that when you walk down the street someone can record your every move? did you also know that nobody gives a poo poo about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ArmZ posted:

the reality of most privacy issues is no one cares about your stupid life except for the money in your pocket
unless you're trans or an immigrant or w/e

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

THC posted:

also, a woman

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

THC posted:

computer privacy issues

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

do you think that stalkers and racists don't use computers?

have you heard of a thing called "doxing"?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the nsa and cia have already made it abundantly clear that they want to capture and index every single unencrypted thing on the wire they can get their hands on as well as acquiring taps to bypass encryption to get at even more things that aren't in the clear. the likelihood that you as an individual should be targeted with such information is small but we as a society should be opposing and subverting such systems that would be so easily abused

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ArmZ posted:

computer privacy issues

oh yeah I forgot the EULA said they can't use computers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the nsa and cia have already made it abundantly clear that they want to capture and index every single unencrypted thing on the wire they can get their hands on as well as acquiring taps to bypass encryption to get at even more things that aren't in the clear. the likelihood that you as an individual should be targeted with such information is small but we as a society should be opposing and subverting such systems that would be so easily abused

we should ban free software so they have to go to proprietary companies for their tools. then we would know what they're up to and they could be held to EULAs banning the use of that proprietary software for spying.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

can someone point to a case where a person was targeted because they were trans/gay/etc. based on either unwarranted government computer surveillance or computer info from a private corporation?

doxxing by other people based on info someone posted online doesn't count.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

we should ban free software so they have to go to proprietary companies for their tools. then we would know what they're up to and they could be held to EULAs banning the use of that proprietary software for spying.
if the govt ignores it's own laws (copyleft code without attribution is one example) what's even the point of having them, might as well dehumanize now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ArmZ posted:

can someone point to a case where a person was targeted because they were trans/gay/etc. based on either unwarranted government computer surveillance or computer info from a private corporation?

people who've been blocked by various groups have used targeted advertising to hit them w/ more harassment. this is really funny when its used against some people but not so much when its used against others.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArmZ posted:

Peter thiel/gawker

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i know ppl irl who had digitized private info used against them by parents/exes/etc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

richard stallman was and is absolutely right about everything.

eating stuff off your foot seems like the wrong thing to do

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theres also chechen gay roundup squads/concentration camps but i guess that doesn't "count", its the gays' own fault for being gay online

also women in KSA etc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

THC posted:

i know ppl irl who had digitized private info used against them by parents/exes/etc

saw your edit, pretty sure you were right the first time too

e: yeah that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

THC posted:

theres also chechen gay roundup squads/concentration camps but i guess that doesn't "count", its the gays' own fault for being gay online

also women in KSA etc

Yea wasn't there also some random Russian guy that met some other guy online and when he went to meet him he got kidnapped and they videoed beating him and poo poo and posted it on youtube

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

i make exactly this argument when i explain to people why their stupid phones don't belong in my network and why privacy in the 2010s is largely an illusion and i have yet to reach the end of that sentence without someone asking how to fix it, because they weren't listening and completely missed the point

its always funny when people try to be like "but altairs didn't have any software with the kit", "but you had to know how to do basic on your commodore 64" or "but you could open up your 1997 windows pc and change things"

when we all know most people with a commodore 64 were just running pre-made software, and the average pc owner of 1997 was terrified of opening it and relied on My Nephew Tim Who's Good With Computers to handle that for them. oh and basically like 5 people had altairs and the majority of computer users at the time they were relevant were employees or students at large institutions/companies using terminals to a big machine they definitely had no admin access to

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ArmZ posted:

Documents released due to the 30 year rule showed that MI5 had load of files on old UK labour politicians because they were "dangerous trade unionists" including investigating their sex life for things to black mail them on. Just loving lol if you think your intelligence services aren't doing that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jre posted:

Documents released due to the 30 year rule showed that MI5 had load of files on old UK labour politicians because they were "dangerous trade unionists" including investigating their sex life for things to black mail them on. Just loving lol if you think your intelligence services aren't doing that

Did it to mlk

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

jre posted:

if they weren't doing it under obama they sure as poo poo are now or will be soon

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jre posted:

if you believe your intelligence services aren't doing that you're literally dumber than a computer, and you should feel as though you've failed a test of some sort

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 1, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

if you believe your intelligence services aren't doing that you're literally dumber than a computer, and you should feel as though you've failed a test of some sort

Reverse-turing test

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Blue Train posted:

Peter thiel/gawker

i'm pretty sure that was just like, something someone heard at a party. no one outed peter thiel based on surveillance.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

i'm pretty sure that was just like, something someone heard at a party. no one outed peter thiel based on surveillance.

Gawker is a website and thus computers, geez dude

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

flakeloaf posted:

*In ArmZ voice* "if you've nothing to hide why do you need privacy?"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why are you always locking the door when you go to the bathroom? you building a bomb in there or something?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

why do you have curtains ? are you a child molester ?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

shagger was right?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wheany posted:

eating stuff off your foot seems like the wrong thing to do

don't knock it until you try it :grin:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

THC posted:

also women in KSA etc

http://yournewswire.com/palestinians-arrested-social-media/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

None of that counts as it is not America

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

such freedom, very democratic, wow

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

why are you always locking the door when you go to the bathroom? you building a bomb in there or something?

One time as a childe I was spending the night at a friend's house and locked the door as I used the bathroom. My friend's father then appeared from nowhere and said from outside the door that they don't allow locked doors in their house. It was very unsettling and I learned later that this is apparently a thing among some people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blue Train posted:

One time as a childe I was spending the night at a friend's house and locked the door as I used the bathroom. My friend's father then appeared from nowhere and said from outside the door that they don't allow locked doors in their house. It was very unsettling and I learned later that this is apparently a thing among some people

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

well in my house we don't allow strangers in the room where children have no pants on but if you feel so strongly about this we can talk to our teachers about it tomorrow

mamma taught me malevolence early

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blue Train posted:

congrats on narrowly avoiding getting molested

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Blue Train posted:

nnnnnnnnnnnnope

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Management posted:

congrats on narrowly avoiding getting molested

Yea in retelling it that was an extremely bad look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Blue Train posted:

My friend's father then appeared from nowhere and said from outside the door that they don't allow locked doors in their house

huh, that's weird, because i found this lock on this door that you own and it seems to work?

• Locked thread