Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Plot
WIXOSS is a popular trading card game in which players battle against each other with fighters known as LRIGs, using cards to support them. Ruko Kominato, who receives a WIXOSS deck from her brother, discovers that her Lrig, which she names Tama, can speak. She soon learns that she has been chosen as a 'Selector', girls who must battle against other Selectors. Should they be victorious in battle, they will be able to have any wish granted, but should they lose three times to other Selectors, they will lose that chance and lose all memory of the game. As she and four other Selectors battle it out for the sake of their wish, Ruko finds herself drawn into the dark sinister world of WIXOSS.

Characters

Ruuko Kominato
The protagonist. Has the LRIG card, Tama.

Yuzuki Kurebashi
One of Ruuko's friends. Has the LRIG card, Hanayo

Kazuki Kurebashi
Yuzuki's brother and introduced her to WIXOSS. He isn't a selector but knows the true nature of WIXOSS.

Hitoe Uemura
A shy and timid girl. Has the LRIG card, Midoriko

Akira Aoi
A model who might not be as nice as she appears. Has the LRIG card, Piriluk

Iona Urasoe
A model at the same agency as Akira. She can sense what a selector's wish is. Has the LRIG Urisu.

Tama
Ruuko's LRIG.

Hanayo
Yuzuki's LRIG.

Mirodiko
Hitoe's LRIG.

Piriluk
Akira's LRIG.

http://i.imgur.com/ff597cU.png
Urisu
Iona's LRIG.

Where can I watch WIXOSS?
Non-americans can watch it on Crunchyroll. For americans it's on Funimation.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
I actually enjoyed the first three episodes. I never thought one of the shows I'll be looking forward to this season would be a card battle anime.

Also, that OP is pretty catchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPp7QY6bMM

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
For some reason I keep feeling like the background music in parts of this is something I've heard in Minecraft before. It's the weird echoey piano.

But yeah this show's pv intrigued me and I enjoy the psychological intensity it portrays, even if it goes a bit overboard with 'stuff is supposed to be spooky, look at our camera angles and staticey noises in places!'

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, my money on what happens if your soul gem turns black you lose 3 battles was you either die, or your wish would never ever come true. I wasn't far from the mark!

This is very much more PvP centric than Madoka's PvE.

If I had to compare their MCs, Madoka had no wishes because she loved the world and wanted to do everything. Ruuko has no wishes because there's a nihilistic part of her who wouldn't care if the world burnt.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
And finally poo poo becomes a semblance of real. I am so very looking forward to Ruko fighting Akira, because so far Akira's success has come from psychological warfare, which it seems Ruko is immune to...orrrrrr, deep inside, she has some awful, terrible wish that she can't even admit to herself. Either way things are definitely getting more interesting.

I really do hope the show doesn't back off and get all 'well okay if you wish for something REALLY HARD these rules with terrible outcomes can be bent I guess' and they make friends with Hitoe again through sheer force of will. That would be lame.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Things just got super Mai Hime up in this bitch. I just hope for an ending that isn't a giant deus ex machina.

It'll be interesting to see what kind insight Akira can get into Ruko, if at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
She wants to destroy this town.

I'm half expecting Aki~lucky~ to win the next battle, just so the show can demonstrate the consequences of winning 3 battles.

Also, looks like Hitoe's the origin story of 1 week friends!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well I went marathoned the five episodes so far and I'm hooked. Aki's card said that winning isn't enough and there's conditions that need to be met for each wish. The other model girl better be running a black deck.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 3, 2014

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I've had the impression from the start that the condition for winning is that everyone else must lose. They've only said anything about there being one Eternal Girl, I'm presuming there can't be multiple. So to win the game, you must be the only Selector left.

The LRIGs are only giving the impression otherwise because they're secretive little asshats with ulterior motives to try and make sure they remain competitive, because if most of the girls found out about the secrets of the game (namely, of course, by winning and advancing your own wish, you horribly, horribly gently caress up the dreams and lives of countless others), they'd be all 'well hell if I am playing WIXOSS and making people suffer', and then there would be no Eternal Girl. And actually, there's probably something in it for the LRIG as well should their Selector win. Something like them being actual people trapped in cards, and only the one that wins can be set free, whilst all the others will die, or so.

I very much imagine Ruko and Tama are spanners in the works or elements otherwise loving up the balance - Ruko has no real wish, unlike all the other Selectors, and Tama is very much not like the others, as she doesn't seem to know of the rules, and doesn't have desires to be set free most likely, she just wants to battle the others and be with Ruko forever. It's just not certain what the nature of those two is by now - either it would be a Very Good Thing if they win, since Ruko's lack of a wish means that her victory will end or undo the suffering of others (as in, the power to grant that wish comes directly from the hope ripped from the ones who lose - no wish, no hopelessness), or it would be a Very Bad Thing, since Ruko's secret wish could be awful and ruin everyone forever, or Tama is some sort of abomination whose memories were wiped because she's super powerful and dangerous and her getting set free would mean awful things, like her wanting to keep battling and fighting in reality, and Ruko would secretly enjoy that.

Her battle with Akira should definitely serve to make that more clear, Piriluk is bound to have some sort of reaction to Tama, after all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phobophilia posted:

I'm half expecting Aki~lucky~ to win the next battle, just so the show can demonstrate the consequences of winning 3 battles.

I really hope not because I want to see her burn.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I came into this show expecting a kinda half-baked Madoka the TCG The Anime... and maybe that's what I'm actually getting. That said, Wixoss has me pretty much hooked via Ruuko.

It's a totally subjective taste and I'm still not super sure that they'll even go there, but she strikes me as being a similar type of character as Rock from Black Lagoon or Mikado from Durarara, both of whom are some of my favorite characters across all media. The "apparently normal and average" character who has been brow-beaten into that normality by a culture that discourages standing out, but when they are put into extraordinary circumstances they are willing to go way farther than most people would be comfortable with.

I first got the impression from Tama apparently only caring about BATORU (when most of the other lrigs seem to share some characteristics with their partner) and there have been other small details too, but this last episode provided even more evidence to keep me interested. The fact that Ruuko, when pissed off by Akira, was more than willing to grab her by the collar and shove her into a wall says a lot to me. A slap would have been one thing, but that is a clear "I'm willing to take this farther if you push me" sort of move, even if she didn't consciously mean it that way.

Seriously looking forward to the next few episodes to see if I'm right.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sakurazuka posted:

I really hope not because I want to see her burn.

So does everyone else, but as the show so succintly states,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thankfully I was wrong and we got some great scenes out of it. I also like how they linger on the aftermath of Hitoe's loss: parents have been notified, and they are mystified by what the hell is going on. It's like Madoka breaking into tears at an egg's yellow hair, or Sayaka's funeral.

And I know people call Ruuko a sociopath because that's the internet's favourite word, but it's really not as simple as that. Ruuko is only a little off, she's too inhibited to be a classic psychopath. She feels empathy for her fellow woman, but not quite as much as usual. She doesn't respond as quickly to other's feelings as you'd expect. She's kind of a bad person, but not in an irredeemable way. She's no Aki or Yuzuki.

Actually I can't recall a named selector in the show who can actually be called a good person.

Anyways, lets talk about the LRIGs (GIRLs backwards, geddit???), and compare them with Kyuubey. Kyuubey was amoral in a patriarchal way, as basically lied through his teeth, and sought to reinforce his inhumane system. Kyuubey knows best, it's all for the Greater Good, and besides, without me, you'd have nothing. The LRIGs are immoral and overtly lie at the expense of the selectors so they can achieve their own objective, and yet at the same time, are just as trapped by the system as the selectors.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Tama is basically Conan in his "What's best in life" phase. Doesn't exactly make them evil. Or at least not irredeemably evil.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

An apology from Akira wouldn't have meant anything to Hitoe thanks to her memory loss. Ruuko just used it as an excuse to fight again.

e: Betting Chiyori is the real sociopath in this show.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The final LRIG is voiced by Satomi Arai. :swoon:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

New episode is out
I thought you lost all your memories about the whole Selector business if you lost 3 times?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Demicol posted:

New episode is out
I thought you lost all your memories about the whole Selector business if you lost 3 times?

I'm going to go with Hitoe only lost her memories because she got friends through WIXOSS.

Really liking the way the series is progressing, Tama gives me hope that Ruuko will embrace batoru and fight forever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Maybe Iona was lying about finishing Akira off?

For a second, I thought that the mask meant Akira's face fell off or something after she wished for beauty. I have no idea if this show is in the mass market or weirdo nerd TV timeslot, but if it were the former, that would have been a thing to behold.

Edit: something I'm confused about, did Ruuko actually win against Iona, or did she get interrupted?

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 16, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Maybe Iona was lying about finishing Akira off?

For a second, I thought that the mask meant Akira's face fell off or something after she wished for beauty. I have no idea if this show is in the mass market or weirdo nerd TV timeslot, but if it were the former, that would have been a thing to behold.

Edit: something I'm confused about, did Ruuko actually win against Iona, or did she get interrupted?

They were interrupted. Neither had actually dealt any damage to the other.

E: the white lights on their tables represent their life cloth cards. To win you need to wipe out all seven of your opponent's life cloth cards and then deal one more direct hit.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 16, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So who else wants to play WIXOSS as a result of this anim?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Based on the rules it seems like a weird hybrid of pokemon/commander from magic the gathering which is totally a thing I could get into.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

That's one twist I didn't see coming. LIRG was quite literally GIRL switched around.

Based on the beginning of the episode, I think Aki-lucky might also have herself a new LRIG.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
You know, that twist should have been glaringly obvious all things considered.

The Madoka comparisons are gonna be inescapable now, though.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Can't say I was expecting that. Really looking forward to where this is going to go now. Going to guess Ruko finds out and her wish will become a Madoka-esque reverse everything/make everyone happy again type deal.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ha. Haa. Hahahahaha.

I was slowly getting inklings that this would be the outcome, over the course of the episode. The moment Yuzuki started behaving odd. The moment Hitoe got a new deck of cards. The sheer cageyness of the LRIGs: they're not just withholding information like Kyuubey, they're actively lying.

Infected suddenly makes a great deal of sense.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Namtab posted:

So who else wants to play WIXOSS as a result of this anim?

I mean, it's probably going to be a thing if this takes off to any extent, we just have to hope it gets translated afterwards.

(cough cough paging Ewen Cluney cough cough)

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Going to be fun when Ruuko starts trying to batoru Grandma all the time

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Although the card game looks really tedious, the show seems to be quite fun to watch. The pandering is surprisingly tame for what it could be.

You can totally tell they made the show to appeal to the audience with money though.

In any case, I'm glad Hitoe never went the suicide route. I felt like she was going to kill herself while her mom was out, and I was surprised when it did not happen.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
Can't wait for Hitoe to suffer all over again.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Zackcat posted:

Can't wait for Hitoe to suffer all over again.

Judging from the preview, it looks like it's Ruko who'll be suffering this time.

Since she has to fight both her friends at the same time.

Maybe she'll snap and start trying to crush everyone to save them from the result of becoming an eternal girl.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Aw poo poo's hosed now.

Edit: they're totally going to pull a lain on us aren't they and Tama was the original Ruuko

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...oh god what

is this going to literally be Madoka as a card game

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Now that they know how it works, the girls should wish for the opposite of what they want and lose on purpose.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's weird that we really have no information on who's setting this whole thing up, nor why.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I kind of feel like that's what Ruko will end up doing - the thing at the beginning of the first episode kind of would make sense like that.

And I do imagine Puella Magi Kyubey is the one who's setting this up, and the why of it will come later.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Mordja posted:

It's weird that we really have no information on who's setting this whole thing up, nor why.

I'm suspicious of that little girl Yuzuki battled at the playground. I don't think we'll be getting answers anytime soon, though, since there's going to be a second season.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...There's going to be a second season? News to me. I am glad all the shows I really like of this season seem to be getting one (unless Sidonia doesn't for some reason? they're nowhere near even halfway into the manga and it's a few episodes away from ending). I was wondering what the deal was with the small kid anyway, she's all in the openings and everything but the show is getting into the endgame and all we know of her is 'she is a small child'.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

...There's going to be a second season? News to me. I am glad all the shows I really like of this season seem to be getting one (unless Sidonia doesn't for some reason? they're nowhere near even halfway into the manga and it's a few episodes away from ending). I was wondering what the deal was with the small kid anyway, she's all in the openings and everything but the show is getting into the endgame and all we know of her is 'she is a small child'.

I don't think it's been officially confirmed anywhere. It was initially listed as two cours on Showgate's website but was later changed to one. Studio Pablo has a project with JC Staff on their schedule for Fall that people have taken as further evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I haven't completely caught up yet, but which episodes/what dialogue in particular implies Ruko is a bit of a nihilist? I'm think I missed something.

As of Episode 5 my thinking is we should add to the title: "The EULA Agreement: The Animation".

• Locked thread