Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I get like 100 ping minimum to slash diablo or I would've played a ton of it. I need to try path of diablo at some point though, hopefully i can get some non-miserable latency
They added game servers in the following locations:

quote:

GS1 - US East (New York)
GS2 - Europe (Amsterdam)
GS3 - OCE (Sydney)
GS4 - US West (Silicon Valley)
GS5 - US South (Dallas)

Just put "gs4" in the description of your game to use them. It's all one realm. They're notably missing SEA/Asian servers despite having some players from there, but 100 ping is too low to be from that region.

Median XL and Path of Diablo have crazy server lists with so many people playing. PoD even has web-based trading now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Think I just found the most euro-jank Diablo II thing on the internet, so thought I would share it. Losses a point for no Haseen also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP7DnOKG7xg

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I think I'll be jumping on us east for this ladder reset playing a barb.

I was considering playing sorc but I've got too much nostalgia for my barbs of yore and I guess iron maiden was removed from mobs at some point so I won't instantly die

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 3, 2020

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Its been a long time since I played this game - very amusing its still got an almost 8000 game queue to create a ladder game.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Man does it still feel good to find loot in d2. Found MAGE FISTS and I am jumping out of my chair like it's v1.0

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
for me, D2 was the first game with a loot system like that, and it is a huge reason why I spent so many hours in years past

when you know the odds, and some real good poo poo drops (even if it's not for your char/build) it always gets me excited. no other game in the genre has scratched that itch

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Anyone know if there's any difference between Median XL online vs offline? Like ladder only items/runewords/events?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

wet_goods posted:

Man does it still feel good to find loot in d2. Found MAGE FISTS and I am jumping out of my chair like it's v1.0

I wish I could describe why I miss items like this and Bloodfist in newer ARPGs where every unique has some wild and wacky property.

Like, I understand why the genre has moved away from these sorts of items, "common stat but in a gear slot that doesn't normally have it" isn't terribly exciting design, but somehow D2 made getting a pair of gloves that make your character cast spells a bit faster and a little bit harder absolutely thrilling.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I wish I could describe why I miss items like this and Bloodfist in newer ARPGs where every unique has some wild and wacky property.

Like, I understand why the genre has moved away from these sorts of items, "common stat but in a gear slot that doesn't normally have it" isn't terribly exciting design, but somehow D2 made getting a pair of gloves that make your character cast spells a bit faster and a little bit harder absolutely thrilling.

Yeah that's why I hope there is a trading scene again in d4. I traded up and I'm rocking a full ik set now and I put a pul rune in the armor, peak beefcake achieved and it started with that find a few days ago

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Kinda in a weird slog now, I have good gear on my barb and sorc (full class sets and supporting items and torches) but I'm trying to get hrs for big rune words which is taking forever. It seems like the next big power jump on my sorc is getting an infinity on the Merc. And the barb would need a botd axe and a ton of other poo poo to get a power jump beyond ik.

What I am saying is hr farming is painful.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
In like 10 years of Diablo II - ing I only ever saw one high rune drop in person.

It was a Ber rune in a hell cows game, and I did not get it.

It is really annoying to have one part of a huge upgrade runeword, and never see the other part drop and nobody will trade it to you for ANYTHING, even overpaying with perfect roll uniques etc.

I remember it being a lot easier to get "godly sockets" sup/eth elite base items than getting even one high rune. It is really easy to run pits act 1 / ancient tunnels act 2 on Hell difficulty and they can drop god tier base items. Maybe do that and try to trade for a high rune? I got a few high runes back in the day from using my socket quest in a superior or ethereal base from those areas (they are max item level for slot rolls so you will get max possible slots if using the quest reward)

If you are doing solo/self found, lol. Just kill 6 billion demons. High rune, easy peasy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
high runes are farmed by opening one specific chest (sometimes 2 spawn) on lower kurast near the campfire that has like a 10,000x higher chance of dropping high runes. if you just do 10,000 lower kurast runes you'll get a few high runes.

here's a vid of a guy who did 10k kurast runs (0 bers, btw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzUMPtxQNw

It sucks how much of d2 is locked behind needing high runes because vanilla d2 would be an almost perfect game without that poo poo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 7, 2020

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

high runes are farmed by opening one specific chest (sometimes 2 spawn) on lower kurast near the campfire that has like a 10,000x higher chance of dropping high runes. if you just do 10,000 lower kurast runes you'll get a few high runes.

It sucks how much of d2 is locked behind needing high runes because vanilla d2 would be an almost perfect game without that poo poo

Is this something that is actually true or is it the same as "dying or TPing on Countess runs means you only get basic runes" level of bullshit?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ah, okay.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is this something that is actually true or is it the same as "dying or TPing on Countess runs means you only get basic runes" level of bullshit?

It is very true, certain chests use different rng for drops. The kurast ones are far, far easier to find because of the map generator though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Countess dropping runes whenever she's killed was a thing that was deliberately put into the game by the devs for the purposes of making it easier to acquire (some lower-end) runes.

The part about her drop quality becoming worse because you died or TP'ed is bullshit.

The Lower Kurast chests aren't specifically programmed to drop runes: they just happen to be the right kind of chest, in the right level of area, to have a chance of yielding high runes.

Since their location and consistent spawning means you can farm them, you can just play the odds and click them often enough to get high runes, even if all you're really doing is using "standard" drop chances.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah it's real. They're super chests and they pull from a table of different possible chest content combinations that include some high runes. They're still extraordinarily rare, but they're vastly more likely there than from any other place in the game outside of hell hellforge

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ok, got it, thank you!

Its really cool that smart people are still figuring out parts of this game

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It was all figured out about fifteen years ago. I think the chests at the dead ends of the Arcane Sanctuary can drop runes as high as Cham. But I just open every chest I come across and attempt to fight every elite group of monsters I find as long as they're not immune to lightning.

I've managed to find a Zod rune once in a walk-to-Baal game that someone didn't notice in the mess of items on the ground. It's the only time I've ever seen a rune higher than Gul drop. That happened in 2006 before the increase to high rune drops in 2010. During my last spurt playing this game, I found a handful of Ist runes from the Countess while doing key runs and I was frankly surprised I even found that many.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you can farm efficiently on players8 you can do cows / chaos sanc for high runes. If you can't and are playing single player, I'd look into modding no drop to 0 so you get players 8 drop rates all of the time. It's genuinely a better experience playing that way if you're just farming high end loot. Even if you're not, all of the extra potions that drop are awesome.

I don't think kurast chests are the most effective way to farm since they upped high rune drop rates a while ago. They were back when high rune drop rates were dreadful. But, the chests don't have great drop rates for other loot or give exp so it's arguable whether they were ever really worth it.

also worth noting an 8p game is not the same as the players 8 command in single player and will have a worse drop rate

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I did grail to ~70?% percent completion or so and I dropped a bunch of mid-high runes, but the top 2 or 3 high runes are almost impossible to find outside of really insane time investments. There are a lot of people with thousands of hours who have never dropped a ber.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I can tell you that after who knows how many bot hours that the super chests in A3 actually yielded me less HR’s than A5 nobody jabroni’s. Mephisto’s council guys were better too.

Now the stats are screwed though because my bot probably murdered A5 jabronis by the billions.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
All this rune talk is good, I'll give it a shot.

I have been farming tunnels and the pit, although I think part of the problem is that my sorc has too much mf to effectively farm for socktables.

I can't say I have had the worst luck, some dude traded a sorc torch for my druid torch and that was pretty great.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Star Man posted:

I've managed to find a Zod rune once in a walk-to-Baal game that someone didn't notice in the mess of items on the ground. It's the only time I've ever seen a rune higher than Gul drop.

I think in the twenty years I've been playing (on and off) the highest I've found was a Gul rune. I doubt I'll ever find one of the top eight.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I got a Cham rune in single player after the patch in 09 or 10 that upped the drop rates.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The only reason any high rune trade happened in D2 was the rampant duping, botting, and other exploits

The drop rates were completely unreasonable for normal players

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ohm was as high as I ever saw. That and a couple Ist.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Hah I was going to mention Kurast chest runs in my post, but I have only ever done them on the Slashdiablo Resurgence server, which is like a fan patch / mod thing. I couldn't remember if that was part of vanilla D2 or not.

The maphack that is part of that server would highlight the "high rune chests" so you could dart right to them from the waypoint. I did way less than 10,000 runs and got a handful of high runes. I got a Zod rune and had no specific use for it, so I made the ugliest Wirt's Leg I have ever seen:

This is possible in vanilla D2. For some reason, you can use the act 1 "imbue item" quest on a Wirt's Leg. You can also use the act 5 "add a socket" quest on Wirt's Leg. You can also put a Zod rune in that socket, because at that point gently caress it

req. lvl :69snypa:

I also had fun making recursive items. You know how rare and crafted items have a random part1/part2 name? Very rarely, you can get one that has the same "name" as the type of base item it is made of. So you can get a demon heart (type of sorceress 1H wand) that is named Demon Heart. You can then level up a character named DemonHeart and use the act 5 "personalize an item" quest to put your character's name (DemonHeart) on the Demon Heart demon heart:

but nothing else will compare to when I found a boneweave (elite chainmail) and made the Bone runeword in it, then personalized it on a necromancer named Boneweaver

just going through my old d2 images, i find it really funny that if you put a poison facet into a piece of Trang'Oul set, there are so many affixes that it makes the text all tiny

this item just sounds so magical...

I might have posted some of these way ago in this thread? Had a good chuckle going over them though and felt like sharing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So what maphack are you using for us playing at home and does it work on Bnet, or is this solo?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

If you’re not looking to bot you should check out slashdiablo. Launcher automatically includes a mh.

New ladder in 2 weeks

Khorne
May 1, 2002

So what maphack are you using for us playing at home and does it work on Bnet, or is this solo?
Slashdiablo's maphack is a great iteration on the bh maphack but you'll get banned if you use it on bnet. I don't think there are updated offsets for 1.14x but I don't pay attention. It works for 1.13c and 1.13d.

Some single player streamers use it without the maphack and without things on minimap as a loot filter. PoD's loot filter is based on the code.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 14, 2020

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

D2MR. It will false positive as a virus, but I’ve been using it for like a decade with no problems. It’s no frills, but that keeps it from getting you banned. Also, be sure to run it as admin so it can find your game window. And only hit reveal when you’re in a game or it will crash your window.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It appears the community is basically remastering D2 in real time and is probably going to have a better and more complete product than whatever blizzard ends up releasing.

basically they're going to have to really knock it out of the park if they want to compare favorably to what people are doing for free.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 14, 2020

Vakal
May 11, 2008

It appears the community is basically remastering D2 in real time and is probably going to have a better and more complete product than whatever blizzard ends up releasing.

Are you referring to this video? If so I think that is just an upscaled video of recorded gameplay and not something the game engine is capable of doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxSRAhp6TYg&t=750s

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat that looks good. that plus some ui stuff is really all I want from a remaster. make it easier to use more than one skill, but keep the same itemization and all the old breakpoints. i guess i've always thought more could've been done with the synergies system, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I currently have an installation of Diablo 2 with plugy and the widescreen mod, working on a 21x9 ultrawide resolution, and it looks phenomenal! I don’t need no remaster.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah plugy d2 solves 90% of my issues with d2 outside of the non-existent high runes.

Vakal posted:

Are you referring to this video? If so I think that is just an upscaled video of recorded gameplay and not something the game engine is capable of doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxSRAhp6TYg&t=750s

partly, but i was referring more to the D2 modding scene as a whole.

I've been playing Median XL lately and it in particular is probably one of the most impressive semi-overhauls of a game i've ever played. It's still very much D2 but they added a crafting system and an endgame to D2 (including a ton of new zones and skills), both of which are quite well done

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 15, 2020

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Diablo 2 modding makes no sense to me.

Want to completely replace all of a classes's skills along with new icons and the skill tree UI? Go right ahead.

Want to remove the defense penalty while running? Ha, Ha, Go gently caress yourself!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Laslow posted:

D2MR. It will false positive as a virus, but I’ve been using it for like a decade with no problems. It’s no frills, but that keeps it from getting you banned. Also, be sure to run it as admin so it can find your game window. And only hit reveal when you’re in a game or it will crash your window.

Sweet, thank you

I think the advantages of a mh outweigh *maybe* getting some free gear if its not a spammer honeypot (is that still done? Games claiming free Sigon and then its just some bot spamming?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

Diablo 2 modding makes no sense to me.

Want to completely replace all of a classes's skills along with new icons and the skill tree UI? Go right ahead.

Want to remove the defense penalty while running? Ha, Ha, Go gently caress yourself!

that's because some things in the game are exposed in the MPQ files and can be changed readily, while other stuff is buried in the game's executable and can't be changed short of getting the source code