Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I tried playing Diablo 1 last night, and this seems more than a little bit rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

looking at the D2:R thing and it's mindblowing that they didn't crib the expanded charm inventory for this thing. filling your entire inventory with charms and then having to tetris stuff around for eternity is terrible. thinking about getting in the car and driving down to irvine to give these folks a piece of my mind

:hai:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Roth posted:

I tried playing Diablo 1 last night, and this seems more than a little bit rough.

i never played the first one at all, i dont think it has aged as well as 2 though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Roth posted:

its sick & there's a mod called belzebub that makes it widescreen and stuff. wont take u long to play thru it and its worth it... for the LORE

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

D1 represents a divergent path where the game is slower, basic monsters remain threatening throughout and packs of archers are murderous. It's closer to its roguelike roots than D2 and the modern genre, which are fast-paced lootfests and power trips.

Nothing wrong with either style imo, but D1 is really showing its age and I'd love to see a modern successor.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Smythe posted:

its sick & there's a mod called belzebub that makes it widescreen and stuff. wont take u long to play thru it and its worth it... for the LORE

Ah, this is handy.

I finally started playing Diablo 3 with a friend, and it just feels so simple. Like, it's entertaining, but it just feels so basic by comparison.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Roth posted:

Ah, this is handy.

I finally started playing Diablo 3 with a friend, and it just feels so simple. Like, it's entertaining, but it just feels so basic by comparison.

its a very old game my friend

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

D1 represents a divergent path where the game is slower, basic monsters remain threatening throughout and packs of archers are murderous. It's closer to its roguelike roots than D2 and the modern genre, which are fast-paced lootfests and power trips.

Nothing wrong with either style imo, but D1 is really showing its age and I'd love to see a modern successor.

agreed

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Smythe posted:

looking at the D2:R thing and it's mindblowing that they didn't crib the expanded charm inventory for this thing. filling your entire inventory with charms and then having to tetris stuff around for eternity is terrible. thinking about getting in the car and driving down to irvine to give these folks a piece of my mind

If they touch literally anything people will have meltdowns left right and centre.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

If they touch literally anything people will have meltdowns left right and centre.

its already happening and its making me lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wanna watch that guy go to a grocery store or some other mundane task.

I think the inventory thing for me depends on the size of the shared stash. I must hoard everything. Charms taking up half the space is fine. I just pretend my character makes the charm jingle with every step.

The entire loot issue could be solved with instanced loot but that might make people like the above mad.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I might be wrong here but I think that changing inventory size doesn't involve dll injectors, so it should be fairly easy to mod in. If it goes well and is popular I'm sure you'll see a flurry of mods adding in QoL features

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the problem with that was always that you couldn't use mods on battle.net, and personally i never liked playing single player.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

badass

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smythe posted:

yeah I played a bazillion hours of the HD beelzebub mod recently, it's good. game holds up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Probably a dumb question but does D2 work on the latest version of MacOS?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I guess I'm not really excited for the remaster. Especialy considering it will be a vanilla experience. A 3d engine slapped onto d2 won't fix the endgame. We already have access to some pretty insane mods. Besides, with the graphics slider, it doesn't seem to change the resolution? As far as I can tell this will just break mods. Mods that are so divergent from the vanilla experience, that I highly doubt anyone will put in the work to translate them to a "new" project.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but this is clearly a cash grab to keep us interested until d4 comes out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kazvall posted:

Sorry to be so pessimistic but this is clearly a cash grab to keep us interested until d4 comes out.

That's the thing to do right now. The Nintendo model. Buy games you already have played... Again! Cash in on the nostalgia that our generation is too dumb to not give in on. :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

every d2 mod sucks because youre at 600x800 and they cant fix it. making mods for d2 also requires you to download 15+ year old tools and hack together database files to get it to work. lmao if you dont think this is going to spark a massive influx of modders and players

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

That's the thing to do right now. The Nintendo model. Buy games you already have played... Again! Cash in on the nostalgia that our generation is too dumb to not give in on. :v:

Nintendo really struck a goldmine with the switch.

You can now play your favorite childhood games... on the crapper!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

Nintendo really struck a goldmine with the switch.

You can now play your favorite childhood games... on the crapper!

Hell, I'm in

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder how many people who praise the Switch for its portability never let theirs leave the house.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Star Man posted:

I wonder how many people who praise the Switch for its portability never let theirs leave the house.

The switches portability is for playing on the toilet and sometimes on the bed, not for taking outside! :catbert: I'm not taking a $500 console outside it might get broken or stolen, I have a $2000 laptop for that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I mean, gently caress both the Switch and Nintendo and their following.

But I was also raised to think that taking my stuff with me anywhere would get it destroyed or stolen and I'm from a place where showing sincere interest in video games past the age of six months old was worthy of scorn, shame, and abuse.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

Who leaves the house?

I'm sure mine will leave the house a lot when kiddo is old enough to play.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I replayed Diablo 1 a year or two ago and found it a ton of fun but yeah definitely showing its age

It also reminded me of when Blizzard had stories that were entertaining in a pulpy sort of way and moved the game along nicely without getting in the way of it with stupid poo poo

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

MarcusSA posted:

Probably a dumb question but does D2 work on the latest version of MacOS?

It does not.

Also;

Diablo II Eastern Sun server up and running

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960054

Khorne
May 1, 2002

every d2 mod sucks because youre at 600x800 and they cant fix it. making mods for d2 also requires you to download 15+ year old tools and hack together database files to get it to work. lmao if you dont think this is going to spark a massive influx of modders and players
there's a widescreen mod that's real good and gets good scaling at 1440p and 1080p. All of the big mods use it. Talkin trash about what you haven't even played!! Also, 800x600 scales real nice to 1600x1200 in windowed mode and d2's graphics have aged okay mostly because they were real dated even when the game came out 20 years ago. There's also some shaders that are commonly distributed with pservers/mods these days, but I think they look worse than not using them.

Also, mods have ascended beyond the tools and do straight asm edits and dll injection now. It's highly unlikely d2r is going to allow you to do what median xl and to a lesser extent Project Diablo & Path of Diablo have done.

The one thing I hope they fix is the framerate. D2 runs at 20 something fps and it really stands out on non-crt monitors. Even when it reports it's running at higher fps it's not really. If they added a way to lock animations to the 20something fps they exist for in classic but render world/screen updates at 120+ fps it'd be amazing and worth $40 alone. Already d2r seems to have issues with contrast, impact, etc compared to the original but it lets you go back to classic graphics so provided they do everything else right it should still be awesome.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 23, 2021

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I turned the autoscaling off on PoD bc it looked horrible at high res. They also said the fps lock is fixed in the reveal video w. mr llama.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

It does not.

Also;

Diablo II Eastern Sun server up and running

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960054

Ah oh well!

Hopefully the remaster gets Mac support.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Ah oh well!

Hopefully the remaster gets Mac support.
D2 runs amazing in a VM. You can create a windows xp vm with a 1 core limit, 512mb of RAM (or probably less), and no gpu pass through and the game will run identical to a modern gaming pc.

There's even some positives like you can then run extra vms for multiple clients, use proxies for different vms to get around ip/cdkey limits, scale the window to any size you want, easily click around in multiple clients at once, etc.

edit: vvv m1 will certainly complicate things.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 23, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khorne posted:

D2 runs amazing in a VM if you use VM software that doesn't mess up sound drivers. You can create a windows xp vm with a 1 core limit, 512mb of RAM (or probably less), and with no gpu pass through and the game will run identical to a modern gaming pc.

Yeah problem is I have an M1 so that complicates things a bit. Good tip though!

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

in order to make the remake good blizzard should bribe the FBI to seize d2jsp and delete it from the planet

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I really am curious about what they're going to do about the rarity of items and trading. I'm not cynical enough to think that an auction house is going to arise, but I do wonder if they're going to make things like high runes and items of a similar rarity easier to find.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Khorne posted:

D2 runs amazing in a VM. You can create a windows xp vm with a 1 core limit, 512mb of RAM (or probably less), and no gpu pass through and the game will run identical to a modern gaming pc.

This reminded me that my first computer part upgrade was adding ram to the family gateway desktop from 32 to 64mb (maybe? It's been awhile) so I could enjoy d2 without choppy fps. :allears:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

I really am curious about what they're going to do about the rarity of items and trading. I'm not cynical enough to think that an auction house is going to arise, but I do wonder if they're going to make things like high runes and items of a similar rarity easier to find.
pservers did this by setting nodrop to 0 making all drops more or less like a 7-8 player game with 7-8 people standing on screen. They're still pretty rare but not that rare. It would be super nice if they did this on bnet too.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Flunky posted:

in order to make the remake good blizzard should bribe the FBI to seize d2jsp and delete it from the planet

I made a lot of good friends on that site 10 years ago. I’ve also been banned for a decade so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Khorne posted:

Also, mods have ascended beyond the tools and do straight asm edits and dll injection now. It's highly unlikely d2r is going to allow you to do what median xl and to a lesser extent Project Diablo & Path of Diablo have done.
Official word is that DLL injection stuff isn't a goer due to modern Battle.net's increased security, but they're moving a bunch of previously-hardcoded stuff out into data files for modders to play with so hopefully it won't be as big a problem.

Khorne posted:

The one thing I hope they fix is the framerate. D2 runs at 20 something fps and it really stands out on non-crt monitors. Even when it reports it's running at higher fps it's not really. If they added a way to lock animations to the 20something fps they exist for in classic but render world/screen updates at 120+ fps it'd be amazing and worth $40 alone. Already d2r seems to have issues with contrast, impact, etc compared to the original but it lets you go back to classic graphics so provided they do everything else right it should still be awesome.
Official word is that they're doing just that - gameplay logic still runs at 25fps, but the HD graphics etc. animate at a modern framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Star Man posted:

I'm from a place where showing sincere interest in video games past the age of six months old was worthy of scorn, shame, and abuse.

Can you imagine someone telling you as a child that there would be big titted women dressing up as characters from literally every game you ever heard of in the future? I mean how many Lady Dimitrescru cosplays have you seen and all we got is like 3 seconds of trailer footage of that bitch yet. Unreal.