Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The Kins posted:

Official word is that DLL injection stuff isn't a goer due to modern Battle.net's increased security, but they're moving a bunch of previously-hardcoded stuff out into data files for modders to play with so hopefully it won't be as big a problem.
This is a hollow talking point when their esports title have hacks that do just that and have for years & if you're playing on bnet you can't really play that type of modded anyway because games are ran on their servers already in non-remastered d2 and will likely be in d2r as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

This is a hollow talking point when their esports title have hacks that do just that and have for years & if you're playing on bnet you can't really play modded anyway because games are ran on their servers already in classic d2 and will likely be in d2r as well.

They arent saying dll injection wont exist, just that you cant make mods with it in an official capacity. I would wait to pass judgement on modding servers existing, if they're supporting and expanding modding I'm hopeful for some level of support. They arent getting a monthly fee so they might even release server software. Probably not, but who knows.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

codo27 posted:

Can you imagine someone telling you as a child that there would be big titted women dressing up as characters from literally every game you ever heard of in the future? I mean how many Lady Dimitrescru cosplays have you seen and all we got is like 3 seconds of trailer footage of that bitch yet. Unreal.

There already were people into cosplay when our parents were kids as far back as the sixties. Women not only saved things like Star Trek and Gundam, but they also organized the first cons.

It's just extremely difficult to learn about those things or meet people like that when you're from central Wyoming, even in a world where geek poo poo is acceptable now because it's insanely marketable. We were all just pressured into not displaying it, even if the people doing the pressuring were into it themselves. My sister's a bigger geek than I am, even though she's just the impulsive consumer type while I'm the bitter and unlikeable goon type. She's been to E3 and smaller regional comic cons a bunch.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2021

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Star Man posted:

I really am curious about what they're going to do about the rarity of items and trading. I'm not cynical enough to think that an auction house is going to arise, but I do wonder if they're going to make things like high runes and items of a similar rarity easier to find.

they already said in that interview with mr llama that they don't want to change any of this

which stinks

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

yeah I don't think there's much hope for trading reform when they're saying stuff like this

quote:

The fact that you collect charms that make your character stronger but are eating up your inventory space, it gives you this tension of 'do I want that +15% magic find at the cost of three slots in my inventory?' Those were interesting and meaningful decisions while you're playing. The idea of, 'this will be great for quality of life' became 'no no, we're actually breaking the game mechanics.'"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Flunky posted:

yeah I don't think there's much hope for trading reform when they're saying stuff like this

lol

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Flunky posted:

lmao

Any chance they're at least fixing the Fend bug? "Certain melee Amazons can't use their main defensive skill or else they become unplayable" can't be contorted into a meaningful decision no matter how hard they try, right?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
No auction systems is great because you can snowball trade a Spectral Shard into an SoJ with face to face ingame wheeling and dealing. You just need enough gumption and moxy, the 2 most important unlisted stats.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
releasing d2r without cribbing maps for endgame or at least some kind of infinite dungeon is a big lol. low energy poo poo from the boys in irvine.

not even a duel arena. drat bro. smdh

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah honestly I'm probably gonna stick with pd2 but I'll give d2r a look when it drops

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Smythe posted:

not even a duel arena. drat bro. smdh

I cant stress this enough, pvp is completely void of meaning and worth in a genre where skill is out the window and its all about who has had more time (or money) to sink into their imaginary digital avatar

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

I cant stress this enough, pvp is completely void of meaning and worth in a genre where skill is out the window and its all about who has had more time (or money) to sink into their imaginary digital avatar

I don't think you've ever seen what pvp actually looks like.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

oh, word? how much dueling did you do in d2?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What is the point of getting so much gear if you arent using it to destroy the digital proletariat? Serious question

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

lmao

Any chance they're at least fixing the Fend bug? "Certain melee Amazons can't use their main defensive skill or else they become unplayable" can't be contorted into a meaningful decision no matter how hard they try, right?

Also the Amazon block animation

Also the Zeal and Feral Fury bugs

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
And swapping conviction and fanaticism at just the right times.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

codo27 posted:

i had straight up so much fun in the 76 legit dueling league in 1.09 bro. bone and poison necro, zealot, and fistadin powah. also hydra sorc

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

What is the point of getting so much gear if you arent using it to destroy the digital proletariat? Serious question

you mean owning the chuds and nazis right

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The one thing that is really bothering me about the reveal is it looks like the people see the monsters first.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

i can't believe they're charging twice as much for this as their last remaster which was a no-effort failure lol

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

i vomit kittens posted:

i can't believe they're charging twice as much for this as their last remaster which was a no-effort failure lol

As nice as the in-game graphics look,

and the fact that they absorbed an outside company that has done good remasters before,

and the fact that Starcraft remaster worked out well,

WC3 Reforged (both on launch and support/updates) has me feeling real pessimistic.

If they release a 1:1 remaster where it plays exactly the same but with modern graphics, good for them. I hope they can do that, it's within their power. Thinking about anything beyond that makes me sad, because it feels like no matter how low I set my expectations it will still be underwhelming. Maybe instead of extra features they will just accidentally disable/remove parts of online play that has been stable and working for 15 years and completely destroy the modding/customization scene.

The graphics look nice but thinking about anything else gives me a bleak foreboding feeling.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’d pay full price for a solid remaster of Diablo 3, which is what this looks like will be. So I’m pumped!

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm hopeful because it seems like they understand why the WC3 remaster was hated and are trying to avoid that. Not replacing the original game, changing as little as possible, and they seem to be quite good at the art changes. For everything else, I'm pretty confident that this will spawn a bunch of mods that add QoL stuff and more down the line.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Not changing how the inventory works while adding shared storage is a poor compromise in my mind, but if it will play well on the controller and finally come out on consoles, I'd actually be fine even playing normal Diablo 2, let alone the remastered version.

Of course, if the known bug stay not fixed that's another story, since console versions won't get mods. But even then...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m fine with the inventory as it is. I played a new game of D2 with my son just last summer, and I didn’t have any issues with it.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

I think they're right to start with just graphics/QoL changes, hopefully they can do some skill/item rebalancing and add some minor content stuff after the first ladder seasons though.

In the meantime Project D2has a new season coming out March 12. S1 was fun; its more of a expansion mod rather than a full conversion like medianxl or eastern sun. Plus it has vaal/corruption orbs and slamming items is fun as hell. Probably as close to a remaster that has content/gameplay changes in the next year or two.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 26, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no idea how ppl play this game on a controller

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i cant imagine you can use teleport very well

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Smythe posted:

no idea how ppl play this game on a controller

well i'm gonna find out because the constant clicking and moving of the mouse in diablo games gives me carpal tunnel lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Probably goes the direction the character is facing. D3 did some hit box or targeting help on console if I remember right.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
There was a video with a Diablo player, MrLlama, in which they answered some questions, but one if the points was actually how different playing on a controller would be - and Teleport is one such example, you move a set distance in the direction the character is facing.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

There was a video with a Diablo player, MrLlama, in which they answered some questions, but one if the points was actually how different playing on a controller would be - and Teleport is one such example, you move a set distance in the direction the character is facing.

Yea here's the part of the interview where they talk about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dL7ZeIAsE&t=1304s

PoE came out for consoles not too long ago and they had to try and solve many of these same issues so hopefully Blizzard looks at that for some inspiration. Abilities like Teleport and Leap are challenging but I think Necro will probably be the hardest to play on controller because he has a lot of spells where you specifically want to target one thing. Console PoE tried solving this issue by adding a glowing circle that you can move around to revive the target you want, but you have to stop moving to play hide-and-seek with a pile of corpses and its definitely a downgrade over mouse and keyboard.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
diablo 3 has been out on console forever and by all accounts may actually be the superior form of diablo 3

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Diablo 1 was quite playable on ps1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

diablo 3 has been out on console forever and by all accounts may actually be the superior form of diablo 3

It 100% is.

It’s actually fun to play with a controller.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Setting my Paladin's aura to the right trigger where it will do... nothing

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I'm so stoked for D2R, I started playing D2 single player again. Tried PlugY, with stash featured disabled so I could keep using my GoMule 5,000+ item stash from 10+ years of play. Would recommend, it's fun to gear up a new character with random poo poo I've packratted. Also did the Uber Diablo / Uber Tristram events for the first time ever, not that much "fun" but it's neat to progress my characters a little more than I ever did before.

More than anything, I'm excited for the world to pay attention to D2 again later this year. It'll be a nostalgic treat to see forums, guides, streams, etc. filling up with D2 content.

Star Man posted:

I really am curious about what they're going to do about the rarity of items and trading. I'm not cynical enough to think that an auction house is going to arise, but I do wonder if they're going to make things like high runes and items of a similar rarity easier to find.

If they can keep a lid on botting, the bnet economy will be unrecognizable. The single player community has to do absurd things like cheese chest drop seeds in LK to have anything like a reasonable rate of high run discovery.

If we get more security and no drop rate increase, that game would still be fun. I love D2 because it's just as awesome decked out in silly runewords or scraping by with random self found stuff and exploiting every game mechanic to crawl through hell.

Very curious how the meta gets shaken up. Even little thinks like auto gold pickup will move the needle. I rarely I pick up gold while doing gotta-go-fast runs, having it auto-vac will make gold have a different vibe unless they also reduce its drop rate.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

coelomate posted:

If they can keep a lid on botting

lol

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ok fair... but modern battle.net has to be better than whatever anti-botting D2 currently has, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
d3 is nothing but bots on the leaderboards with the top positions shamelessly having public playtime records of 24/7 for weeks on end