Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She inherited her mother's unique ability to gently caress with minds. She doesn't have access to it at all with the limiter. That's probably for the best, as she is deranged, jealous and vindictive. Random chinese guys aren't nearly as disturbing as the crazy girl who is probably going to rape and/or murder her brother one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
She has already 'killed' Tatsuya multiple times, hasn't she?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Tatsuya just went super saiyan.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A sick beat stars the show as some kind of armored bus bust through gates and some guards to blow the gently caress up at the giant tower that is constantly in the background. It was apparently “self-detonating”. The moored ship that the Japanese have been ignoring for some reason launches some landing craft to start the invasion/terror attack.

The Tatsyua power hour seems to start, a handful of brown coated terrorists burst in using rifles the size of bazookas to shoot .90 cal bullets it seems like. They shoot at Tatsuya and he effortlessly catches them. First guy goes down when Tatsuya magics off his arm. Now that noble hero has shown them they can fight, the few hundred or so of Japan’s most powerful magicians realize they can fight back too. The phrase “foreign institutions” is dropped, referring to the US I think. Star pupil from maroon coat school is shocked by what Tatsuya can do, claims it was some super secret tech, demands to know how Tatsuya knows it, is ignored.

There’s a really boring scene with former school pres and new school pres in an auditorium and how she tells people they can either head to a shelter, or flee to the docks. It takes up an insane amount of time for information the audience does not need.

Back to Tatsuya, he has his sister freeze all the bullets in the guns, so he can proceed to mercilessly and brutally murder the poo poo out of the now unarmed and mostly defenseless terrorists. I’m not even kidding the second they guns don’t work he starts ripping off their limbs and tearing them in half.

There’s some special secret room that’s a information hub that is just now mentioned that one of Tatsuya’s followers has access to where they can go and get updated on what is going on in the city. A bunch of red circles pop up on an overhead map showing that the terrorists have some sort of foothold. They briefly chat, head back to the main hall where they run into the schools magic disciplinary committee talking about the tunnels, boring, boring, boring chat back and forth and back and forth and holy poo poo this is such a completely poo poo anime I can’t even believe this skirts the border of “appeals enough to die hard otakus that it’s technically popular”

I’m not exaggerating, the bulk of this episode is just standing around and talking, there’s a brief action scene, it quickly ends and back to more talking.

Another one of the armored buses is heading towards the school. Tatsuya magically becomes aware of it with plenty of time to do his magic vanishing act but leave the driver alive.

Head magic school discipline guy meets some random army guy, they chat, that’s it.

Some JDSF guy shows up to where all the named main characters are and starts infodumping then orders the magic school students to deploy with the army. Tatsuya goes to leave and start murdering the shot out of the no good dirty foreigners when his sister does her creepy, blush/look down, makes physical contact, kisses his forehead and unseals his true power.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What is even the point of that? He has already shown he is an unstoppable death machine. What could unsealing his powers possibly accomplish?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
And now we see the payoff of the puerile power fantasy. There is no point in being just plain the best at everything and doing all sorts of supposedly cool stuff if no one knows about it! Yet, it would be immodest if Tatsuya revealed it on his own, because Tatsuya isn't supposed to be a braggart even though that is his defining trait. The answer to this shallow dilemma is of course for an authority figure to come in and explain to everyone who might care just how cool and awesome Tatsuya really is for no reason. If you break this episode down to its constituent parts it seems like something a nerdy teenager would fantasize about. Foreigners bust in and threaten the class with guns, but the fearless ubermensch starts catching bullets and killing them with karate chops and that's just the start. It is frankly pathetic for a grown man to write this dreck.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Serious Frolicking posted:

And now we see the payoff of the puerile power fantasy. There is no point in being just plain the best at everything and doing all sorts of supposedly cool stuff if no one knows about it! Yet, it would be immodest if Tatsuya revealed it on his own, because Tatsuya isn't supposed to be a braggart even though that is his defining trait. The answer to this shallow dilemma is of course for an authority figure to come in and explain to everyone who might care just how cool and awesome Tatsuya really is for no reason. If you break this episode down to its constituent parts it seems like something a nerdy teenager would fantasize about. Foreigners bust in and threaten the class with guns, but the fearless ubermensch starts catching bullets and killing them with karate chops and that's just the start. It is frankly pathetic for a grown man to write this dreck.

The guy who wrote this is basically the Japanese John Ringo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What exactly is even the point of the seal? The Moonlit Reaper probably has enough power to take down the rest of the families even with his seal on.
God I hate to keep bringing this up, but Hellsing did this so much better. Alucard losing his seals actually became incredibly monstrous, culminating with a giant bloody flood from which an army emerged (that consisted of everyone he ever murdered throughout the ages).
I've never been so unenthused about a sudden anime power-up. Weelllllll, okay Air Gear got to me too, but that was after like 300 chapters of everyone pulling new abilities out of their asses.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, he went from invincible to invincible-er.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Foreigners bust in and threaten the class with guns, but the fearless ubermensch starts catching bullets and killing them with karate chops and that's just the start.
It bugs me how none of his classmates gives a gently caress that he can do all that. The dude just sliced off a guy's arm, and nobody questions him about it.

Having recently gone through the light novel translations, the novels are at least a bit better 'cause it explains technical poo poo.. However, I'm also bugged by how, in the following school year, his classmates seem to have largely forgotten about his display of powers during the Yokohoma event and the fact that he's some god-like kid in the military 'cause I guess that's become totally irrelevant. And, if I recall correctly, none of the students have ever questioned the nuclear explosion thing 'cause I guess the students don't care about that either.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Namtab posted:

E: I never did post what her strongest magic is, I think it basically stops the brain but leaves the body alive.
Of course her ultimate freezing skill is to "freeze" something metaphysical. I guess we're lucky she can't freeze time.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
this show is terrible and I love watching it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

What is even the point of that? He has already shown he is an unstoppable death machine. What could unsealing his powers possibly accomplish?

He can't nuke china or heal allied soldiers while sealed. It's the difference between tatsuya being unstoppable and the entire glorious nippon army being unstoppable.

Btw if this keeps to being like the books enjoy like 3 episodes without tatsuya because every other character needs a bodycount (except kendo girl)

E: gently caress it, I'm resuming bookposting today. Got the end of the wizard olympics, the filler novel and one and a half volumes of this between me and the anim so the guy with the pepsi avatar can't bitch about spoilers anymore.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 15, 2014

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Is it even possible to spoil poo poo? This show and its source already stinks to high heavens, I don't think it's possible to spoil it any worse (other than warning off people that worse poo poo is coming).

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I think I have....the first 12 volumes?

I'm only midway through the 4th one anyway. still enjoying it more than watching battle mango.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

He can't nuke china or heal allied soldiers while sealed. It's the difference between tatsuya being unstoppable and the entire glorious nippon army being unstoppable.

Btw if this keeps to being like the books enjoy like 3 episodes without tatsuya because every other character needs a bodycount (except kendo girl)

E: gently caress it, I'm resuming bookposting today. Got the end of the wizard olympics, the filler novel and one and a half volumes of this between me and the anim so the guy with the pepsi avatar can't bitch about spoilers anymore.

gently caress the guy with the pepsi avatar. I've been posting unmarked spoilers the entire time outside of the OP.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There was a guy next to me in Starbucks watching Mahouka, I had to resist the urge to throw ice at his face.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Compendium posted:

There was a guy next to me in Starbucks watching Mahouka, I had to resist the urge to throw ice at his face.

Someone I was sitting next to at school once was watching Sword Art Online. Don't they have enough shame to do this kind of thing in private?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress y'all I've watched Girls und Panzer in public.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

Two things I really love are anime and tanks.

That show still didn't appeal to me at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

god drat it we already convinced wicked hate this show was bad, now we need to convince him Girls und Panzer is good?

Because Girls und Panzer is good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

Well, Girls und Panzer is actually good. SAO was only decent when they were in Aincrad and the only thing this piece of poo poo-shower show has going for it (and even then, the writer still managed to cock it up spectacularly with his boring prudishness and hard-on for Japanese nationalism) is the setting.

I'm actually sincerely surprised that this actually got as popular as it did. Then again, I got surprised when the Overly Long Title trend got big on LN's so what the hell do I know.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

god drat it we already convinced wicked hate this show was bad, now we need to convince him Girls und Panzer is good?

Because Girls und Panzer is good.

We have a long road ahead of us

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
itt we chitchat about better more interesting animes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
haibane renmei was better than sora no woto or girls und panzer

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I watched every episode of Infinite Stratos.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This thread is a real race to the bottom.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This thread is a real race to the bottom.

It reflects the state of the show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Famous smart guy: "Hey what are you doing and how can you be so awesome and perfect?"
Awesome and perfect guy: "Pssh, I don't have time to explain slowly enough that you can understand because I am actually smarter than you, a famous smart guy."
Famous smart guy: "Oh no, I have been owned and am actually very dumb. I will now disappear from existence."
All the girls then gaze adoringly at awesome and perfect guy, but they don't approach him because they aren't like those FILTHY loving WHORES who run around with exposed calves and boyfriends and openly express disdain toward light novels, anime and nationalism.

It kind of breaks down when it goes back to the incest stuff, though.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Famous smart guy: "Hey what are you doing and how can you be so awesome and perfect?"
Awesome and perfect guy: "Pssh, I don't have time to explain slowly enough that you can understand because I am actually smarter than you, a famous smart guy."
Famous smart guy: "Oh no, I have been owned and am actually very dumb. I will now disappear from existence."
All the girls then gaze adoringly at awesome and perfect guy, but they don't approach him because they aren't like those FILTHY loving WHORES who run around with exposed calves and boyfriends and openly express disdain toward light novels, anime and nationalism.

It kind of breaks down when it goes back to the incest stuff, though.

Wow thanks for spoiling the whole series spoiler tag that poo poo. seriously every single time... If it happened once I would let it slide but noo we have to hear it every single arc and make tatsuya more perfect

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Eddain posted:

How

Eddain
May 6, 2007

It was a dark time in my life. :(

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Eddain posted:

same

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
s1 i can understand

s2 how

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I can't really judge that too harshly. After all, for like a year I avidly played an mmo with anime running on a second monitor. When you barely pay attention, you can end up watching some awful stuff. Though really, 'avidly playing an mmo while also watching anime' is a pretty harsh thing to admit to all on its own.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

http://puu.sh/bHbwm/c778f23cb4.webm

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Anime of the Year 2014.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is quite literally pro-oligarchy propaganda. I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around that. The overt racism and power fantasies, sure, no problem. Satou is a vile sack of poo poo, no mystery there. But a self-appointed hereditary oligarchy with no oversight being pranced about like it is the greatest loving thing on earth just baffles me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dramatic music starts; we get shots of other school’s ace magic guy effortlessly slaughtering the terrorists with their lovely firearms. He steps out from cover, is protected by an impenetrable shield, and the terrorists stand there shooting at his front causing no effect to him and he casually disintegrates them one by one while walking forward.

We go back to the magic school committee using crazy magic martial arts to kick terrorist rear end, again effortlessly, the dozens of heavily armed men are literally powerless to stop mages in any capacity.

Now we’re with the JSDF, head magic school committee guy, and the woman with some connection to Tatsuya, there’s something about the Kanto magic association, and then it cuts back to the magic school kids running to the shelter. Naïve and bubbly orange haired girl sees the entrance and runs to it, ceiling collapses.

Back to the JSDF woman and the magic students, 2 huge mechas approach them and former school prez and Tatsuya’s sisters effortlessly stop them.

I had to actually pause the show, because at this point its been 5 minutes, and the show is spending less then 40 secs per character group before just jumping to the next one and so one. In the time it takes you to read my descriptions you’ve probably spent more time then the show did. This seems like a really lovely format, and I don’t know if the director just doesn’t give a gently caress, but at far as LN to anime adapations going, the actual direction of this episode is one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Even with 24 previous episodes assumed to have been watched its almost impossible to get a hang on what’s going on because it jumps around so quickly. The only message I’m getting is “Mages effortlessly kill non mages and all who oppose them”.

Cut to JDSF/students looking down at the collapsed shelter wondering if they are safe. Once they see they are safe, magic cops from earlier show up and tell JDSF to go fight while the cops protect the people. I guess it’s supposed to be one of those “Do your noble duty” types of things. Oh, and said cop is the red-haired girls brother and brought her some secret sword wrapped up so we don’t know what it is yet.

Tatsuya rolls into some fancy lab, suits up into his magical batman suit that makes him literally invincible oh and he can fly. So now we get poorly animated scenes of Tatsuya flying around effortlessly destroying things. The animation also tends to focus on his crotch. Like, a lot. His magic triggers are located there I guess.

More of other school’s ace effortlessly killing terrorists. Guy plans to head to the Kanto association and join an assumed volunteer army that Assoc. is forming (or so he thinks) gives a impassioned speech about how its his duty as the head of the ten clans to fight for people. Younger guy who was arrogant towards Tatsuya tries to join ace, gets told to protect the students. This is the longest scene by far its literally “noble hero goes to fight, tells no. 2 to stay back to protect comrades” paint by numbers, including a lovely piano music trying to emphasize the emotional impact of the scene.

Back to magic school kids with magic cops. There’s 5 of them total, about 6-8 20 feet tall mechas coming at them, and they defeat them all effortlessly.

Cut to another group of kids, something thing happens. Also the mechas bleed when cut for some weird reason.
Tatsuya meets up with other spec ops soldiers. They’ve found a Sorcery Booster, proof that the Great Asian Alliance is leading the attack. You know what, good. If anything this show makes me go “gently caress Japan” because everything about it is nothing by the most juvenile power fantasies where the world unites against them, they worry about it, then when the fighting starts the Japanese effortlessly slaughter all those who dare to dirty their shores.
A magic bug swarm shows up to attack some helicopters, the kids’ magic can’t do anything, then Tatsyua shows up and one shots the bug swarm. Oh, and while he’s reporting in, he glances and sees a terrorist with an RPG aiming at the helicopters, casually points his gun and disintegrates him.

So we’re at the Kanto association, and for some reason they are incapable of defending themselves as well as the magical school students. All it takes thought is one mage guy (head school guy) to crush some mechas, yell at them to defend noble Nippon from disgusting foreigners, and turns the tide.

Other school’s ace is continuing his wanton slaughter, never once at any risk of danger or harm.

School kids in helicopter pick up the gang of kids killing mechas, Miyuki is with them

Cut back to the other gang of kids effortlessly killing mecha, suddenly they think they’re done, but a bunch of soldiers pop up from the wreckage and shoot at them, the males hurl themselves to protect the women and get brutally shot for it before Miyuki drops from the sky and ices all the terrorists. Then Tatsuya shows up and heals them like he’s loading a previous save state from a game. This means there’s a hilarious scene not shown where the guy who got his leg shot off has a new leg, and can look over to see his old leg on the ground.
Tatsuya hugs his sister, praises her, then DBZ flys off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's like someone played Drakengard and decided that the heroes were the good guys.

quote:

The animation also tends to focus on his crotch. Like, a lot. His magic triggers are located there I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7heVIEyvQ4

• Locked thread