Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Also the main character is the only one who can do both.

That's a pretty good analogy, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

aers posted:

Also it got animated because if you go look at list of the top selling light novel series in 2013, the entire top 20 has an anime except Mahouka. Which is #3. The series has been in a state of "getting an adaptation sometime because they've adapted everything else" for years now.
I wonder if the reason it took this long is that it's tricky to adapt the setting's magic to a visual medium because it's mostly silent and invisible, yet supposedly very complicated, and the novels often take paragraphs of narration to explain what's going on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, that episode reminded me of something. Some entertaining LN spoilers: when Tatsuya mentioned wanting to work in "energy" what he meant is that he wants to create magic cold fusion and solve the world's energy problems forever. It wouldn't surprise me if he does by the time the series is over because it turns out he's already invented magic flight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The rings are devices created using that ultra-rare material that can generate antimagic fields that was mentioned earlier. Why Blanche was willing to commit dozens of those to the attack but only one gun is a mystery I can't recall if they ever explain or not.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 11, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Unsurprisingly, the entire Yotsuba family seems to exist to be dicks to Our Hero.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

Tomorrow: I imagine Tatsuya will win monolith code, find and murder the evil gangsters, and First High will win the magic olympics. Tatsuya will be humble throughout.
Truly, you are the Taurus Silver of predicting Mahouka's plot.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 5, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

Nothing about Tatsuya's characterization is consistent unless you view it as always pushing towards "he's awesome, everything he does and says is awesome, the end." He displays irritation, boredom, a sense of humor, sadism--all emotionally derived behavior. To be honest it's almost impossible to imagine what a being "without emotions" would be like. To make the obvious comparison, Data was programmed by his father to possess something like curiosity and desire to learn and experience, otherwise he would never have entered starfleet to begin with, or wondered what it was like to experience emotion. Tatsuya on the other hand, has no programming other than protecting his sister. He should be almost completely inert, not the driven and manipulative mastermind portrayed in the show.
It's been a while since I read the first few LNs but I'm pretty sure at some point they clearly say that he didn't get all his emotions scooped out, just the strong ones (except for familial love for Miyuki). He can like or dislike people but not love or hate them.

Of course, while that might be an interesting premise here it's only used for two things:

1) To explain why he's a super unflappable badass who never loses his cool
2) To occasionally have Miyuki muse on how it's so tragic he can never love :qq: except for her

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 10, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man that would have been a great twist.

I can't think of any homosexual characters in the series at all. Do any ever turn up in the novels, or have gay people, like skimpy clothing, been eliminated in the enlightened future?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think you're on to something. Tatsuya gets pressed into service to help the school culinary club compete against them and he ends up ruthlessly disintegrating all their dishes when Miyuki takes a bite.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's the Future. Transparent cubes look very futurey.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Is that Tatsuya's super tacticlol body armor suit in the new OP? That looks exactly like what a teenager would design for himself, good job artists.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Of course the American agent has to cheat to get away from a few Japanese high schoolers and then gets casually slaughtered to make it seem like evil Chinese guy might actually be a credible threat to Tatsuya.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

E: I never did post what her strongest magic is, I think it basically stops the brain but leaves the body alive.
Of course her ultimate freezing skill is to "freeze" something metaphysical. I guess we're lucky she can't freeze time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Apparently this god like magic has a downside, where Tatsuya instantly feels the 150x pain as the wounded he had canceled. Yet he does it without sweating, hesitating or missing a beat, and does it to multiple people at once, so apparently the “downside” only applies to him using his powers to save lives that aren’t people he needs at the moment.
I love this. It's the very essence of giving your Mary Sue's ultimate technique a drawback that isn't really a drawback and actually only shows what a self-sacrificing badass they are.

Also, if anyone made it this far in the novels, why did the president's ice shot disintegrating knock wacky tiger armor guy out?

• Locked thread