Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Clarste posted:

I wouldn't call that "highlighting it" so much as that's the character's nickname for this person he doesn't know the name of. Probably sounded shorter and less awkward in Japanese.

It would be better if there was a "flight attendant with an even nicer body" so that at least you got kind of a short joke out of it. Otherwise it sounds like you're needlessly sexualizing a nameless, faceless side character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: No matter how much they're trying to make us view this organization as the bad guys, they still come off as the underdogs who are forced to use guns and gas bombs against loving literal wizards.

I have no idea why they're starting a school shooting though. Other than "they're evil" and "the plot says so".
That "debate" was one of the most painful things I have seen on television. And kendo girl needs to stand the gently caress up and complain about administration if it's poo poo. Yes, hire more loving teachers if that's what it takes! I wish she actually had a point and went through with it, instead of turning into putty like every other female when confronted with Greater Demon Lord Tatsuya.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing it's popular among the Japanese audience for its nationalism and for the batshit insane obsessive sister.

You know, the one who regularly murders the object of her affections because she gets jealous of any girl who interacts with him.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

The school itself isn't actually doing anything wrong though, the Course 1 students are, and that's addressed. The lack of teacher's also isn't a problem that can be solved by just hiring more. There isn't enough to hire in the first place.

It is something you can absolutely protest as a student. If there's a structural/staffing problem in your school, you can protest and bring it up to the people running it. It's not the students' job to solve such issues, no matter what Tatsuya the Lifethread-Keeper has to say about it.

Here's how the conversation approximately went

KG: We want the school to improve the conditions and fix the discrepancy between the two courses.
Tatsuya: The main difference between Course 1 and Course 2 is the availability or lack thereof of instructors. Do you take it to mean that you want the school to add more faculty?
KG: (suddenly embarrassed) I don't intend to go that far...

I mean you can read between the lines here, right? Particularly the girl's response? This is the author trying to say that everything about existing infrastructure is fine. If you want to change it, you are wrong and will embarrass yourself.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh, and the oh-so-benevolent reforms from the student council president? Exactly which course 2 student do you think they recruit to the student council?

...gently caress.

This loving show goddamnit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apparently this anime is really popular in China. People are watching it and loving how awful it is and how their nation is portrayed as almost comically evil. So there's that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In their defense, that ninja fight did look pretty good.
The show will never do that again though and it will just be He Who Walks Through Walls annihilating everything with one-hit-kill magic waves.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

My main gripe with the show is that there's too much Gary Stu and not enough seito kaichou :colbert:

Why choose when you can combine? :unsmigghh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wark Say posted:

That sounds like Liberation Maiden: The Anime. :v:

It's made by Goichi Suda, so I would instantly buy the blu-ray if it came out. Just so that the dude can continue making more video games that gently caress with the player.

darkgray posted:

I hope you'll be this passionate when Dainihon Samurai Girl becomes (?) anime. It's about a hyper-right-wing 16-year-old girl who wants to become dictator of Japan in order to arm the nation with nuclear weaponry, so they can take on China and whatever, and she's persuaded to become an idol first, since it's the fastest way to the political top. Great stuff.

It already sounds more self-aware than Mahouka. I'd give it a three episode test :v:

VVV Welp! Nevermind!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 9, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is actually pretty weird. Tatsuya is at least a martial artist so I can see why you'd put him in a fighting game.
On the other hand Miyuki has yet to do anything. She only reveals her powers during comedic temper tantrums.

On another note, someone here read the LNs, right? Do they have any cool sympathetic villains?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'll explain why he wants to bring down the yotsuba clan if anyone cares. It is a doozy.

Oh! Oh! I bet I can guess! It's because they allegedly committed some awful genocide somewhere which prevented China from growing! But it wasn't actually them but the US!

Am I close?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Postal Parcel posted:

1)Why was Mibu embarrassed by the suggestion to increase faculty or whatever? Were this Higurashi or some bumfuck town like that, I could understand, but this is the biggest, richest Magic School in Japan. The hell?

The reason is basically "because you should shut up and be a nice little cog in the machine. The system is perfect and only you have a problem with it so maybe you should just shut up and not bother important people with your useless bullshit."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A misunderstanding. It was all a loving misunderstanding. Hahaha. Oh this is great. Oh this is fantastic. "I caused the school to be invaded by terrorists over a misunderstanding" Excellent.
I want to see how the author tops this. This is the laziest loving way to resolve a subplot. And yet...I get the feeling I'm going to be wrong :unsmigghh:

And we get a shot of Miyuki's imagination spot where she and Tatsuya are naked. Greeeeeeaaat.

EDIT:Oh man this author just doesn't let up. It's not over until the one who is wrong is reduced to tears and begging Tatsuya the Seer of Planes for forgiveness.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 11, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Don't forget Miyuki's "So long as at least one person appreciates you for whatever quality you have, it's perfectly fine. Even if it's a superficial one like beauty. Take my brother for example; even if people still hated him, he would be great because I love him!"

I don't have an :ironicat: big enough for this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cool post, except you broke some tables bro :waycool:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"An absolutely pure and wonderful teenage girl is in love with a perfect, brooding, invincible teenage (for all intents and purposes) guy. They try to go through life while facing supernatural dangers that threaten their existence. None of these dangers are much of a problem due to plotline-related stupidity. The guy and girl remain pure as the driven snow for at least most of the series, daring to show affection only at times of extreme crisis due to the author's beliefs and lack of writing skill"

Yeah, you can make a case for it. If so, the "book 4" of this series promises to be pretty wiiiiiiiiiilllllllllld. I'm talking Paranoia Agent levels of insanity. :magical:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How are people missing the incest theme? :psyduck:
The sister literally said that she wished her brother saw her "as a woman", while she was in her underclothes no less, before murdering him in a jealous rage because he rebuked her advance.

gently caress me now there's a sentence goddamn anime

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

would it still be nationalist if it was Canada instead?

Yes. Also, this needs to be an anime :swoon:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

aers posted:

Its from the preview for the next arc.

I'm still waiting for them to get to the first arc :coffee:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

im watching darker than black for my soulless overpowered MC needs

I use Hellsing for that myself.

Man this show would be so much better if it was more like Hellsing. Alucard never has to loving explain how his powers work or why he's special.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem is that she didn't get him a history book which had texts and images of famous massacres of the Chinese.

And my god the author cannot write a will-they-or-won't-they story to save his life. An important part of such stories is to not constantly refer to the sexual tension between the two leads. Castle does this very well (or at least did it, I haven't watched it recently) as it is a police procedural first and romantic comedy second. It helps that both leads are charismatic and their characters are interesting in their own right. Neither of which is true for this story.

EDIT: Okay so waitwaitwait lemme see if I got this sequence of events.

1. The sister comes in wearing a sexy and impractical dress and carrying a bottle of champagne (when the gently caress did teenagers ever drink champagne? From my experience it's beer, cheap vodka or bust)
2. The sister apparently reminds him that it's his birthday
3. The sister awkwardly tries to get him to kiss her
4. He almost does she turns away in the last minute.
5. They have a toast
6. Nothing else happens, end scene.

Really? A girl who murders her brother for talking to other girls does not spit out what she thinks while she's under the influence? So what does she just say "boy gee whilkers that was fun Onii-chan, see ya tomorrow!"? This makes no sense to me :psypop:

And her birthday present is the most goddamn :jerkbag: thing ever. Don't break the bank now, Miyuki. That's writing wall-of-shame material right there.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 19, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Namtab posted:

The book makes it clear that he's only knocked out for a second, the anim took longer so I assumed murder.

Either way she still attacked him with magic for talking to other girls.

I thought the subs mentioned something about "life-threatening damage sustained. Commencing self-diagnostic and repair" or something of the sort. It's still hosed up on every level.

EDIT: Got around to watching episode 7.
Well.
Congratulations Mahouka. You made me somehow sympathize with the terrorists who shoot up schools.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 20, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

A knee-jerk response to jealously is one thing, openly expressing emotions is another.

She changed from her school uniform into a fancy dress after the party was over just for him. She was about to go through with it all, but decided against it in the last second. Then the two had some champagne and the chapter ended. Her gift to him was a goddamn 3-D picture of herself in the dress with planets and poo poo for the frame Seriously Miyuki? What, Tatsuya the Weeping Prophet wouldn't accept a loving gift certificate?

That's not expressing emotions. That's the author trying to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to have romance between the two leads, but doesn't want either of them to act on it because that would be icky. So you have this bullshit will-they-or-won't-they game, where the leads act increasingly out of character to keep the charade going.

pentyne posted:

For example, during the Muv Luv anime, the MC and the main love interest are in a fighting robot in a building being swarmed by the enemies, minutes away from certain death, and when he calls her by her first name she spends an entire minute sputtering and saying how its not appropriate.

Which is also dumb and only happens in anime. People who are facing death tend to forgo formalities.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Holy poo poo, they're dismembering these poor fucks now

I know right? And only one guy helped that guy out by magically stopping the bleeding of what was left of his arm.

Also did anyone catch Tatsuya the Tear-drinker's reference to some Ukraine-Belorussian conglomerate? It seems the loving Russians are conspiring against the great and illustrious Nippon :allears:
I bet those Kuril Islands will be referenced. More importantly, I can't wait for people to start speaking Russian with a Japanese accent :allears: :allears: :allears:

(Wazdat? Neither Ukraine nor Belorussia is part of Russia? Yeah. So? You honestly think the author knows that?)

VV Nope! It was because she was having second thoughts about freezing people, but Tatsuya told her that it's all cool.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 20, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

You really don't need to watch any more than the first episode. Hell, you don't even have to watch the whole first episode, but I think at least that much should be required viewing because I have never seen anything so perfectly bundle up all that is bad in anime within a single episode. This show is truly remarkable.

No, you really do. Skip to Episode 4, that's when it becomes magical :allears:
See our heroes get to discussing Blanche and they drop a few zingers such as "Don't they know that magic folk work hard for their wealth" (while being part of a super-powerful clan) and "they nourish themselves with sweet tales of equality"

It becomes pretty great/bad

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You guys will note that as of the latest episode it's not just China but Russia as well who are ganging up on innocent little Japan.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

He's still sympathetic to some degree, which is more than I can say for a lot of the cast, despite the fact that he's a gigantic strawman. Especially considering how ill-equipped his group was. It was like watching a grown man kick a helpless baby, and then deciding to steal its candy to rub salt in its wound.

WickedHate posted:

Considering he hyponotized people into carrying out a terrorist attack on their own school with automatic weapons and rocket launchers, he's lucky.

Terrorism implies that they cause terror. The students were more than a match for them, so the message a viewer gets is that this group was not only right in bearing arms, they should have brought even more firepower with them!

This is pretty much my trip report for that section:
-Oh cool the school council president is going to ask everyone to try harder and to stop the bloom/weed thing. Good poo poo. That will totally solve all the complex sociological problems their society has and they willingly overlook.
-WHOA A loving BOMB!? Jesus that's a little much! I mean I know they're dicks but you don't have t-guns!?
-Man the one faction I wanted to root for are strawman terrorists. I suppose I should have seen this coming. Oh well at least the anime is doing something other than loving talking.

NEXT EPISODE

-Oh so the students are more than a match for the terrorists even if the latter have cast jamming.
-Seriously how are you getting beaten!? You have a weapon that renders them into normal people and you have guns! I know you don't stand a chance against The One Who Shatters Worlds, but against the common chumps you should be more than a match.
-Wow this is...really unfair. So the guns were a reasonable use of force. In an attack on this school, guns and explosives were a reasonable use of force. thisfuckingshow

FAST FORWARD

-"ONII-SAMA" HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR

FAST FORWARD

-Because it's not enough for Ubermensch Tatsuya to be right, Mibu must be emotionally broken down, hypnotized and crying into his big, strong chest. After all, she's a woman amirite fellas :mrapig: :jerkbag:

FAST FORWARD

-Wow this humvee part is actually pretty cool
-Yeah dude I'd run. Seriously don't negotiate with this cock.
-Yeah of course their guns are pointless saw that coming.
-OH JESUS WHAT THE gently caress MIYUKI
-This is not a reasonable amount of force. In this universe, guns are an UNREASONABLY SMALL amount of force.
-This is a one-sided slaughter. I mean you can't even call these guys terrorists. That would imply they inspire terror in some way.
-JESUS gently caress WAS THAT NECESSARY!?
-SO ARE YOU ALL GOING TO JUST WATCH HIM BLEED FROM HIS STUMP!?
-Okay at least he stopped the bleeding. You're actually kind of cool, Big Dude.

That's amazing :golfclap:
Seriously wow that is so loving tatsuya.txt I'm not sure they didn't actually get it from the show itself.

WickedHate posted:

I keep hearing Chaika described as a "lolibait" anime.

It's not. Chaika is loving awesome and if this show put at least as much care into its fights as Chaika does, I would unironically enjoy it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 23, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Basically the author thinks "No no, the poo poo that happened in Bioshock is wonderful and a sign of resounding success within society."

Oh hey speaking of which, what's crime like in this setting?

VV Oh that's really good. That's so wonderfully naive. Crime is just magically eradicated and society has united together against a foreign threat. After all, at times like this, there's no way countrymen would try to screw their fellow men over, right? :jerkbag:

Yes they totally would it is the prefect time for illicit businesses to prosper holy poo poo did the author never open a history book?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 2, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

There is nothing even vaguely like that in the show.

Not yet, but it's in the backstory. Just a few posts above we had genesplicing and a Big Daddy scenario with Tatsuya.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WickedHate posted:

By the bad guys.

No, the bad guys are the foreigners. The Yotsuba family are supposed to be the morally grey third party in this conflict. What they do is awful, but "justified" by the crimes the foreigners committed.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This show is just not fun.

Hellsing is fun and a great example of a power trip. There are actual stakes and when humanity is about to be totally hosed, Alucard crashes down on a high speed jet and brutally murders all of the aggressors. He does this by letting them have the first shot.

Jiraishin has a pretty much invincible protagonist, but everyone calls him out on his poo poo and the people he fights are fairly unsympathetic (and the ones that are sympathetic highlight how nuts he is). It also fits the show's setting; it's a bleak, dreary world where humanity is awful.

Fullmetal Alchemist has tons of science and explanations, but it works because the world is consistent and the audience can basically fill in the blanks. Ed is shown to be a prodigy, but ultimately fallible. He is also immature, childish and easily angered. Additionally, he is obsessive, first with resurrecting his mother, and later with helping his brother.

This show can't manage tone, can't present credible (and unsympathetic) villains, doesn't have any stakes and it can't even do a power trip correctly. Again, this show manages to make me sympathize with terrorists who shoot up schools. How can you gently caress up this badly!?

By presenting the "terrorists" as desperate people who do not have the power to face the heroes head-on. They do not commit enough crimes to be unsympathetic and the amount of force they use does not even begin to match the other side's power. Meanwhile, the heroes wantonly neutralize them without any compunction or care.
Seriously, in any proper anime, Tatsuya's band of warehouse raiders would be the team of villains. You got Tatsuya as the leader and Sephiroth stand-in, you got the obsessive crazy chick with ice powers, the insane psychopath with a sword, and the gentle giant who is the only decent person of the bunch. Our heroes are basically Wild ARMs villains.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

(to this day, the New Soviet Union denies their connection with the militants that invaded Sado)

:allears: I cannot wait.

Seems the author doesn't think much of women, or at least modern day fashion. There seems to be a constant theme of "if you dress provocatively you are a slut (or at the very least, weird)"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Not really. Other than the verbal diarrhea, the two are very different and awful in their own seperate ways.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How on earth would they prevent it from fogging up completely?

Magic.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Remember kids, war crimes are fun!

If the whole book was self-aware at how much of a villain Tatsuya is, with people actually reacting to his poo poo, I would probably enjoy the material.

Miyuki is awful and I wish she was removed from the story.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

How does one deeply kiss someone's forehead???

Okay, you know those facehuggers from Alien? It's sorta like that.

Alternatively, it might be just a quick peck because in this author's world, holding hands is the equivalent of hardcore BDSM. Satou would probably love the society in Analogue.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 18, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's a whole lotta words for
"Tatsuya your universe-destabilizing powers are needed elsewhere!"
"'kay"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On another note, I am starting to understand why this show looks so good; they never have to animate any action what-so-loving-ever. Most of it is just people talking and giving boring exposition.

So I wonder if that's the show's secret sauce: get a talky nationalistic anime, make it cheap as possible, throw in virgin sister lust and serve. There's just no substance to be found here. And minimal amounts of style if I'm being perfectly honest.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Sweet. Guess I have some weird, messed-up games to go hunting, then!

Don't. Read TheDarkId's LP of it. Drakengard was interesting, but it plays so badly that it deserved to be forgotten.

The_White_Crane posted:

Speaking personally, I would far rather watch a show with actual incest (assuming it wasn't just treated as a titillating fetish) than one with this kind of insipid sibling-crush bollocks.
Something in which the problems with that kind of relationship were actually addressed, whether it was portrayed ultimately as good or bad, would still at least be more interesting.

I agree completely. Koi Kaze comes to mind, with both the brother and sister being shown as psychologically broken people. Even though the two of them decided to continue their relationship, it was portrayed as a dubiously happy ending (particularly since this came after they talked about committing suicide together). If Mahouka actually explored this idea, that Miyuki was an obsessive person who is completely co-dependent on Tatsuya, it would be a better show and I would gladly watch it (Sounds pretty Eva now that I put it that way).
But of course that would inject realism into the fanservice and we can't have that!

EDIT: Hell, another idea! Tatsuya brought Miyuki back from the dead, right? I'm not spoiling this because nobody cares, it's in the show's OP and come on it's loving Mahouka.
So go full Lovecraft with the concept! Make it so that Tats brought her back wrong; that when he did the ritual he wanted his perfect mage sister who loved him dearly to be brought back, and instead got this obsessed, possibly false, mockery of a human being. However, since she is basically exactly like his sister, and he has obligations to the Yotsuba clan, he puts on a poker face and carries on. He also does this because internally he is wracked by guilt and doubt.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Look, you can do Spineless MC right: Watch / Read Kokoro Connect. The anime has Miyuki Sawashiro doing some of the best goddamn VA work she's ever done. Alternatively, just watch Nozaki-kun, which has Yuuichi Nakamura (Tatsuya's VA) using the exact same loving voice he uses for Tatsuya while also being funny as hell. Also, potentially Miyuki out-doing herself.

Holy gently caress that's the same guy!? :psyduck:
The difference is like day and night! Poor dude is choked to death by Mahouka's script.

• Locked thread