Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

There's some serious anti-communist social commentary in this series.
"The higher income brackets are made up of people whose skills are crucial to society" and "They don't know that using magic required long years of study and training, not just ability?" were good little gems that I took out of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

In the manga and LN(I'm still only up to the magic duel with Hanzo and am probably going to stop reading there), it's noted that the counselor looks at him a weird way and he thinks she might be trying to be flirtatious with him. I was spoiled on this, but she's actually a ninja and is there for a secret purpose I forgot.

I still like the series but this was certainly the weakest episode.

From what I've read of the manga, the spoilered part is spot-on. She was being flirtacious to try and control him (what straight guy wouldn't do anything that a provocative older woman wanted unless their brain was re-wired so they're incapable of any emotion aside from platonic love for their sister?)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ha ha, the viewer. This is masturbation fodder meant for exactly one person. Lemme dig up some of the creepy loving descriptions of female characters from the LN's.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be :ohdear:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not a big fan of "the villain doesn't really believe his ideology" in general; it tends to strike me as an easy "out" to avoid the protagonists having to engage with the villain's arguments.

They aren't the villain. They are the post-Lenin Russian communists that thought they were fighting against the evil bourgeoisie, not knowing that they were blindly doing the bidding of the paranoid, power-tripping Joseph Stalin.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

None of that changes the fact that a large portion (most?) of the population would never have those opportunities to begin with. It's like saying that it's okay for white people to be richer/more successful than minorities because they still have to work hard.

Imagine being born to a rich family, and you want to start up as a florist or someshit, but you can't because your bloodline dictates that your career options include:
-Soldier
-Doctor

Sure, the majority of the population can't be doctors, but they have a lot more than two or three career pathways.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

In that case couldn't the person in question just run away from home to try to start their flower shop or even just get a job at one? Heck, that would probably put them in the same situation as those poor people with career freedom.

In that instance, they wouldn't be complaining about "those rich assholes", because they know that it's not so grand to have your entire future dictated by your bloodline.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

However, one thing you should keep in mind is that magic, careers based on magic, and most especially military careers based on magic are almost always portrayed as wonderful things to do with your life.

Of course they would show it that way. In Australia, everyone was fine with conscription during WWI because we'd never been to war before and the government made it sound romanticized as hell. If people knew what war was really like, people would've been jumping through hoops to get out of it. There was no "being conscripted will mean you'll likely catch various diseases, spend months in confined and unhygenic trenches, lose limbs or even your life" disclaimer at the time.

If something is made compulsory by the government, they're not going to tell you about the bad things it involves, it's just counter-intuitive.

Srice posted:

Yeah but it's really hard to make that sort of thing sympathetic! There's a reason why the "rich person forced into a certain lifestyle by their parents" trope in stories usually goes with an arranged marriage to someone they don't care about. Kinda hard to care about someone not getting their ~ideal job~ when they live a life of luxury and have a lot of freedom other than that.

It's already been stated, but magicians kinda do have arranged marriages to an extent. Not only being forced into a job you'll probably not enjoy for the rest of your life, but having to marry another person you probably have no emotional connection to solely because together you can make more wizard babies isn't exactly my ideal life, but I'm sure there's some people out there would love to just have a job and a partner, even if they don't like either :shrug:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Their opinion of being shoehorned into a career hasn't been elaborated in the anime or manga so far, they're just on their own little power trips because teenagers are arrogant by nature. Given the spoilers elsewhere in this thread, the second part seems very believable though.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Pyronic posted:

As silly as the protagonist in this series is, I really enjoy incredibly overpowered main characters sometimes.

Mondaiji would also be right up your alley if you like overpowered MCs

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Apparently this anime is really popular in China. People are watching it and loving how awful it is and how their nation is portrayed as almost comically evil. So there's that.

Really? This anime shits all over left-wing politics so it's a bit of a surprise that this one slipped under their censorship radar.

e:

Namtab posted:

2.) Think about why the author specifically chose to put China in his story and make them evil. Not the justification chosen in universe, but the factors behind the author specifically choosing china and the impression of them he wants to present to you, the reader.

To be fair, you can't say "the author has an unreasonable, deep hatred for x country" just because they are the bad guys in the setting. China is often portrayed as an enemy in anime, in the same way that every regurgitated 21st century FPS uses Russians as the evil, airport massacring bad dudes.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 7, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Shere posted:

"Magi High School" anime just makes me wish Mx0 were an ongoing manga series with an anime adaptation.

Don't remind me. I miss that manga so much and the ending was the most ham-fisted "Got cancelled, better wrap it up in 2 chapters" I have ever read.
I forsee this thread turning into a list of anime/manga that people should be watching/reading instead of this show. So far we've got Mondaiji and Mx0, so I wonder how many more we'll add to this list by the end of the season.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

My main gripe with the show is that there's too much Gary Stu and not enough seito kaichou :colbert:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Why choose when you can combine? :unsmigghh:

That'd be shipping him with someone other than imouto, and we all know how that's going to end: Antarctica, anyone?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

darkgray posted:

I hope you'll be this passionate when Dainihon Samurai Girl becomes (?) anime. It's about a hyper-right-wing 16-year-old girl who wants to become dictator of Japan in order to arm the nation with nuclear weaponry, so they can take on China and whatever, and she's persuaded to become an idol first, since it's the fastest way to the political top. Great stuff.

I don't suppose it's translated, I can't find anything on BakareaderEX for it. It actually sounds kinda interesting.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

darkgray posted:

Doesn't seem like it. Still fairly new, as the first book came out in 2012, but the series is up to 7 volumes already. I've never seen it on the sales ranking lists, so I guess it's pretty niche. It's probably the most absurd light novel I've come across, and I've read quite a few titles. Strange blend of incredibly detailed business deals and political babble. And in spite of that, it's highly entertaining. Well, the four volumes I've read. Easily the most interesting light novel title in print right now.

A shame, it sounds pretty interesting but it looks like I'd have to learn how to read moon or wait for the inevitable adaptation.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ahahaha, all of the comments are from people who genuinely like Tatsuya and want to see more of him. I'm dying here.

Haha as expected, one guy is complaining that he's only a supporting character is also relieved about 'based Kirito' being playable.
Judging by that post, he'd probably squeal like a schoolgirl if Ichigo or Naruto was in this game :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

10 pages later and WickedHate is still trying to defend the series?
Just turn your brain off and watch the pretty colours, people :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Gerty posted:

goatman was here

was

Traveller posted:

And I like that you like it!

Your posts are leagues more entertaining than the actual series.

This guy gets it.
I'm unironically enjoying it, but it's already established that I have poo poo taste in anime and I find the right-wing slant to be kinda amusing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

uuuummm posted:

I'd already started comparing Mahouka to Twilight due to the bland personality of the protagonist. I guess that makes me mean spirited :(

Not a bad comparison at all, Tatsuya can pull off a few more expressions than Kirsten Stewart though.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's more that ADTRW Reads Too Much Into Things and Doesn't Like A Good Show.

Dammit WickedHate, stop trying to defend it so much. It's got a terrible story and several characters' backstories exist only as red herrings while their only real purpose is their :stonk: reaction whenever the MC does something, to proclaim how amazing he is or tell him to stop being so modest about his flawless talents.

Just turn off your brain and watch it for the artstyle and cute girls, if you weren't taking this show so seriously this thread wouldn't be anywhere near page 11.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I genuinely do like the plot and characters.

It's ok, I also have poo poo taste in anime. I watch pretty much everything with the romance, harem and/or comedy tags each season and the shows I like most usually have all 3 :v:

e: Seriously, even I think the story is horrible. I'm just hoping that the stuco president gets more screentime

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

darkgray posted:

Dude, stop posting unspoilered spoilers. Now I know they'll hug and stuff.

Calling it now, a few more novels in and they'll probably hold hands.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

I'm just morbidly fascinated with the show because it's legit one of if not the worst anime I've ever seen.

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, even if you don't like Mahouka you can't have seen that bad for it to be the worst.

I'm starting to think it's WickedHate's Satō-given mission to make you like this series by the end.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Using China as the bad guy could be nationalist but not necessarily.

This. Japan vs China exists for the same reason USA vs Russia is the basis of so many novels, movies and games. There's history of war and violence between them, and any negative portrayal of the Taliban/Islam is a no-go as far as mainstream media is concerned.

e: Medal of Hono(u)r was a great example of this, where there was a huge outrage over the Taliban being a playable faction in multiplayer.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Except in the instance of USA vs Russia, neither side had committed genocide against each others civilian population, raped and pillaged each others territories and those within them, or committed other wartime atrocities as the Japanese did leading up to and during World War II. What's particularly infuriating to me is that these events are downplayed or ignored in Japanese history curriculums and they whitewash the events of the war to paint the Japanese in a better light. While it's common for history to be distorted for the benefit of the country it's taught in, it's inexcusable for the Japanese to do this with the amount of innocent blood on their hands. Had they taken an example from the Germans and taught the dangers of hypernationalism, I'd be far more forgiving towards the Japanese and wouldn't be nearly as offended about Japanese nationalism.

Hey, most German historians say the holocaust was either not as bad as everyone says or they flat out deny it happening. Like you said, they've gotta save face. Can't be having people realise how evil they were during WWII.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

You should all stop watching this ironically and go watch/rewatch Chaika and Mondaiji respectively. You're welcome.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Considering he hyponotized people into carrying out a terrorist attack on their own school with automatic weapons and rocket launchers, he's lucky.

I keep hearing Chaika described as a "lolibait" anime.

AHAHAHAHAHA what? You're thinking of Black Bullet, which is also loads better than this despite being loli-city

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

"Once again you achieve the impossible, onii-sama! :fap:"... It never stops, does it?

E: with luck Erika will get more screentime (preferably not drooling over Tatsuya's accomplishments) to make up for what Tatsuya and Miyuki are lacking. Seriously, why does everyone in anime with ice powers have to have 'yuki' in their name? It means snow, we get it, it was clever the first couple of times but for once can someone's powers not be advertised in their name?

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 28, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wow, people are still arguing with WickedHate as to why this show is bad?

I'll put this simply; strip out the creepy incest from NGNL and you have some cool-rear end games and the main characters testing their limits to win these games in creative and awesome ways. There's also a good bit of comedy and clever game/japanese pop culture references which is just gravy for the show.
Strip the creepy incest from Mahouka and you have an invincible MC, Chinese who are evil because they are Chinese, Japanese terrorists being manipulated by the 'evil Chinese', and a supporting cast whose primary purpose is to have :stonk: expressions whenever the MC does something 'amazing' or 'impossible'. Also, technobabble to try and justify why the supporting characters are so mystified by absolutely everything Tatsuya does.

OP characters are only good in a few series. Hellsing being one, because Alucard has character flaws and a personality, as opposed to being an operating table autist. Jojo is another, despite also sharing the issue with supporting characters having to narrate everything we see happening on the loving screen.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

But apparently this is also #2 among girls in Japan (I think #1 was Haikyuu, which is a pretty strange pair to be at the top of the ratings). It's pretty bizarre.

Part of it might also be that the more right-wing/nationalist elements appeal to nerds over there. Aren't Japanese otaku at least somewhat right-leaning?

Simple; Tatsuya is almost every shoujo lead male ever. No character flaws, extremely competent in everything he does, is a genius inventor who achieves the impossible, and best of all he doesn't feel those negative emotions like anger or frustration at all :v:

That's one thing that pisses me off with anything shoujo; Japanese females are encouraged to idolise males who are utterly flawless (which don't exist), at least my lovely shounen/seinen romcoms give the girls character flaws. Every shoujo male MC is the same person with a different look.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

That's not really confined to shoujo. Girl's media in the west tends to have overly perfect male characters too.

True, but at least poo poo like Twilight has obvious character flaws, usually with characters being at least mildly psychotic.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I haven't read this yet or seen the anime, but from reading the thread is my assessment of this as Ctrl-Alt-Del: The Anime/light novel correct?

If Ethan was a Japanese super genius capable of discovering human flight (among other things) and Lilah is his super-jealous magical time bomb sister, fighting against the 'evil Chinese' and their brainwashed Japanese henchmen then they'd look kinda similar if you squint a little.

It's understandable that Japan use China as the enemy in manga/ln/anime in the same way America uses Russia for the same purpose, but Japan were the aggressors in WWII when it came to anything involving the Chinese so it's kinda funny that the Chinese are the evil ones.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MrCinos posted:

10th episode was probably my favorite despite little happening. I liked how Erika and Mikihiko were slowly being fleshed out as characters via dialogue/monologues.
Yes, it really took 10 episodes for side characters to get lines that aren't "That was amazing, Tatsuya!".

WickedHate posted:

It's still early on in the series, but right now a lot of his character arc is focused on how he deals with living with his lack of emotion and all the responsibility that's been thrust on him since he was born, while dealing with his sister's affections and trying to balance keeping her safe and making her happy without giving into the desires she has, which is harder when basically the only emotion he feels is sibling love. At the same time he still manages to be heroic and isn't amoral in things not having to do with Miyuki.
Early on?
Early on?
I'm sorry, but this is just too much. It's 10 episodes in, it's nearly at the half-way mark given that it's a two-cour series. Establishing the main character is something that's usually done by the second or third episode, tops. If we have trouble describing the character halfway through the loving series then either the writer or the director have hosed up big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Weaboostomper58 posted:

So my understanding of this thing is that the sister wants to gently caress the brother and they're still in school and likely underage and it made 27 pages without a gas?

It made 27 pages due to WickedHate's wickedlove of the series until about page 25-26 where the LN spoilers made him realise just how horrible and badly-written the source material really is.
For the most part, MC was lobotomised to have only one emotion; platonic love for his sister. He is also a ninja, a world-reknowned inventor and part of a spec ops group, all at the tender age of 17. Yep, he's 17 years of age and is the smartest, strongest and most talented person in the entire setting.

• Locked thread