Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I saw ep. 4. 1-3 were like, meh Gary Stu fantasy. 4 was baaaad. It really was people slobbering over the MCs dick and his sister was the worst offender, which is awful. That said, part of me wants to see how much worse it gets.

HiveCommander posted:

There's some serious anti-communist social commentary in this series.
"The higher income brackets are made up of people whose skills are crucial to society" and "They don't know that using magic required long years of study and training, not just ability?" were good little gems that I took out of this episode.
That was the best thing. It's like, "sure our family is rich and born with super powers, but we worked hard for that poo poo! gently caress the poorpowerless"
e:Also like the dig at political movements in general. "They use magic even though they're against it. Hypocrites :smuggo:"

Amstrad posted:

Well you see, she's got to be a totally hot and flirtatious older woman that the Gary Stu rejects at all turns in favor of the romantic interest character (who in this happens to be his sister).
Older...Half the student council looks older than her

Rangpur posted:

Yo so when does the blatant racism and/or Japanese nationalism kick in because that poo poo is never not hilarious to me.

They've already started with the "Someone(EqualityEgalité) is trying to undermine this country's(Japan) power"

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

Well the deal with the class 1 and 2 system is that only the class 1s are actually physically taught magic, whilst class 2s are just given access to books and rooms and left to get on with it. This results in the class 1s becoming more adept at magic as time goes on, thus furthering the divide

That is...amazing. So, in the main characters(The Family Incest) mind, those poorweak magic havers are just jealous, even though being in class 1 and class 2 is equivalent to 'segregated but equal' schooling in the US. Great.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So I caught ep.5 of this show because it really is strangely fascinating in how nationalistic it is. It's practically American.

Anyway, I've got a few things I noticed and questions that may have been answered already in this libertarian infodump thread:

1)Why was Mibu embarrassed by the suggestion to increase faculty or whatever? Were this Higurashi or some bumfuck town like that, I could understand, but this is the biggest, richest Magic School in Japan. The hell?

2)I loved the reaction shot of the Course 2s at the debate when the class prez went on her big speech. They are LITERAL idiots.

3)Loved the prez's speech by the way. Don't use violence and just work within the system, regardless of how much is stacked against you. Malcolm X was literally the devil according to her*.

4)I also love the implication that "Weed" is the literal "W" word in this (school)universe

5)I still think glasses girl is the best character, but god, her Tatsuya is so great speech nearly killed it for me.

6)Finally, was Tatsuya literal defense over why the school shouldn't change "As long as I can study research papers, I'm fine. Maybe you should deal with it too" Like, he literally was born into a rich-rear end family with a super-magic bloodline and already has literal superpowers. And the only reason he doesn't want to help out the other weeds is that he already knows what he needs to and just wants to study? This is past FYGM, it's "gently caress you for not being born in the right family shitlord"

*On a sidenote, Miyuki or w/e is supposed to be the literal most beautiful character in the show, but she's so drat plain it doesn't come through. The prez makes me think of a Clamp character and I really like the design.

• Locked thread