Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«212 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just bring your ass to where they got me
So you can feel the hand of the dead body

IRQ posted:

It's like they don't even realize what happens now. It's pretty drat hard to SLAPP a company as rich as HBO.

It's also safe to believe that HBO's lawyers checked every word that Oliver said in order to make sure that any lawsuit would be rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014




Tortured By Flan

I was wondering if there was a legal drive behind ramping up the satire to ultrawhimsical levels in this segment.

Any jury would see this and categorize it as satirical. More, each fact was presented with citation to publicly-available information outlets.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005



You don't sue to win actually money, you sue to extort smoeone into just settling so that they don't have to go through a long legal deal. HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~


I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor


tsob posted:

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

We know where everyone lives and how they are most likely to vote so we can project easily how the remaining 19% will vote based on the previous 81%

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!



tsob posted:

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

In theory it could, but in this situation it "could" on the level that Trump could fire his entire staff and let Bernie run the country.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011




Veskit posted:

You don't sue to win actually money, you sue to extort smoeone into just settling so that they don't have to go through a long legal deal. HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so...

Murray has a weird combo of cynical foresight and incompetent lawyers. He's personally bankrolled the election of every judge in his county to benefit his lawsuits but his lawyers keep filing for amounts that automatically trigger a change of venue from county court to federal as long as one party asks for it. As such he's lost like 95% of his lawsuits in summary judgement. In the case of the Huffpo lawsuit, if his lawyers filed for $1 less they would have kept the trial in his home county.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just bring your ass to where they got me
So you can feel the hand of the dead body

Veskit posted:

HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so...

If anything HBO lawyers probably has the most fucks to give of them all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.


The system works, unless it doesn't.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007


I didn't ask for this Coyote myth.

I like how they also shoehorned Hillary Clinton into the indictment. Because that's obviously an important point.

Invalid Validation posted:

I hope it's because of black lung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiop...fibrosis#Causes

quote:

Cigarette smoking is the best recognized and most accepted risk factor for IPF, and increases the risk of IPF by about twofold.[11] Other environmental and occupation exposures such as exposure to metal dust, wood dust, coal dust, silica, stone dust, biologic dusts...

coyo7e fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 18:32

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004


tsob posted:

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

In addition to what other people said, the percentage of the district in isn't 81% of votes, but 81% of precincts in the district. Given that Georgia's 6th District covers parts of 3 counties, and the only one of the 3 that majority voted for Ossoff also had the least votes, the precincts remaining unreported at 81% of reported likely were in Republican leaning/controlled areas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."


So they did sue Joh, huh. I'm not quite sure what makes them think that picking a legal fight with Time Warner is a good idea, this is basically bringing piss to a poo poo fight.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008


tsob posted:

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?
As an American, I thought that election was totally overblown by pundits and traditional partisans who believe RESIST means merely throwing money at any Democratic candidate. The Montana race should have been a sign that people shouldn't have put a lot of eggs in one basket.

Compare that to the virtual lack of national coverage of the New Jersey gubernatorial primary to replace Chris Christie.

Also, John Oliver was probably the only guy who took any interest in the UK election, which I thought should have been way more interesting across the pond... compared to the French election which did get quite a lot of interest in the US.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Let me tell you why I stopped being a Libertarian so you can condescendingly tell me why I'm wrong.

Echo Chamber posted:

As an American, I thought that election was totally overblown by pundits and traditional partisans who believe RESIST means merely throwing money at any Democratic candidate. The Montana race should have been a sign that people shouldn't have put a lot of eggs in one basket.

Compare that to the virtual lack of national coverage of the New Jersey gubernatorial primary to replace Chris Christie.

Also, John Oliver was probably the only guy who took any interest in the UK election, which I thought should have been way more interesting across the pond... compared to the French election which did get quite a lot of interest in the US.

The big difference is the French election involved literal fascists, while the UK election was the same old poo poo. People were concerned France was about to pick up a ticket to crazy town, while the UK was expected to keep on sinking in poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH


Echo Chamber posted:

Also, John Oliver was probably the only guy who took any interest in the UK election, which I thought should have been way more interesting across the pond... compared to the French election which did get quite a lot of interest in the US.

US news smelled it for "Brexit Vote Part II", found it wasn't quite that sensational, and walked away. Also we don't understand parliaments and multi-party coalitions and minority governments and confidence votes. That poo poo is weird. We know it'll probably never get TOO out of hand because any policy to stoke hatred around the world isn't going to happen because it would cause a constitutional crisis when it doesn't get royal ascent, and then and only THEN would we be interested.

I don't know if you've noticed, but countries led by offices of a Presidency are turning into flaming shitburgers, so France is our closer brother in democracy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You wildly underestimated my liver's ability to metabolize toxins.

Eat poo poo, Bob.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.


It's fun to watch a story like this unfurl. Check out this wealthy CEO on Fox whine about being picked on by an elitist. Also notable is that he's very vague about what exactly he's suing over. I guess it's unproductive for his ends to provide any real information.

According to CBS, he's suing Last Night Week for not mentioning the fact that Murray helped with the rescue and cleanup for that mining collapse that he probably caused, as if that makes a difference. He's also complaining that John Oliver made childish insults at him, but thankfully that is a right enshrined in our nation unlike say, Turkey.

So yeah, eat poo poo Bob.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013



Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Murray has a weird combo of cynical foresight and incompetent lawyers. He's personally bankrolled the election of every judge in his county to benefit his lawsuits but his lawyers keep filing for amounts that automatically trigger a change of venue from county court to federal as long as one party asks for it. As such he's lost like 95% of his lawsuits in summary judgement. In the case of the Huffpo lawsuit, if his lawyers filed for $1 less they would have kept the trial in his home county.

Maybe they don't actually like or want Murray to succeed and know Murray is not legally versed enough to figure out their trick? It's a silly theory but we live in a stupid world and I like to believe sometimes the stupid is actually for a good cause.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH



No one should check out a Stuart Varney segment. Ever. That guy is outraged that the poorest 20% of the country gets to eat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.


I've always described Stuart Varney as a Charles Dickens character.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.


STAC Goat posted:

I've always described Stuart Varney as a Charles Dickens character.

Only less easy to believe that he actually exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004


STAC Goat posted:

I've always described Stuart Varney as a Charles Dickens character.

Seems pretty unfair to Charles Dickens characters.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«212 »