Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«212 »
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just bring your ass to where they got me
So you can feel the hand of the dead body

IRQ posted:

It's like they don't even realize what happens now. It's pretty drat hard to SLAPP a company as rich as HBO.

It's also safe to believe that HBO's lawyers checked every word that Oliver said in order to make sure that any lawsuit would be rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Tortured By Flan

I was wondering if there was a legal drive behind ramping up the satire to ultrawhimsical levels in this segment.

Any jury would see this and categorize it as satirical. More, each fact was presented with citation to publicly-available information outlets.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You don't sue to win actually money, you sue to extort smoeone into just settling so that they don't have to go through a long legal deal. HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

tsob posted:

I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

We know where everyone lives and how they are most likely to vote so we can project easily how the remaining 19% will vote based on the previous 81%

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

In theory it could, but in this situation it "could" on the level that Trump could fire his entire staff and let Bernie run the country.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

Veskit posted:

You don't sue to win actually money, you sue to extort smoeone into just settling so that they don't have to go through a long legal deal. HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so...

Murray has a weird combo of cynical foresight and incompetent lawyers. He's personally bankrolled the election of every judge in his county to benefit his lawsuits but his lawyers keep filing for amounts that automatically trigger a change of venue from county court to federal as long as one party asks for it. As such he's lost like 95% of his lawsuits in summary judgement. In the case of the Huffpo lawsuit, if his lawyers filed for $1 less they would have kept the trial in his home county.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just bring your ass to where they got me
So you can feel the hand of the dead body

Veskit posted:

HBO lawyers might not give a gently caress though so...

If anything HBO lawyers probably has the most fucks to give of them all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

The system works, unless it doesn't.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't ask for this Coyote myth.

I like how they also shoehorned Hillary Clinton into the indictment. Because that's obviously an important point.

Invalid Validation posted:

I hope it's because of black lung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiop...fibrosis#Causes

quote:

Cigarette smoking is the best recognized and most accepted risk factor for IPF, and increases the risk of IPF by about twofold.[11] Other environmental and occupation exposures such as exposure to metal dust, wood dust, coal dust, silica, stone dust, biologic dusts...

coyo7e fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 18:32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

tsob posted:

In addition to what other people said, the percentage of the district in isn't 81% of votes, but 81% of precincts in the district. Given that Georgia's 6th District covers parts of 3 counties, and the only one of the 3 that majority voted for Ossoff also had the least votes, the precincts remaining unreported at 81% of reported likely were in Republican leaning/controlled areas.

«212 »