Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«223 »
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Interesting thing about the whole "you can't erase history" argument is that the Confederacy existed for a grand total of about 4 years. Reconstruction, which has largely been forgotten about, lasted 12. Three times as long.

During Reconstruction, a lot of great things happened that seem like a fairytale now. Blacks were actually able to vote, and many of the legislatures in the south elected black officials. After the halcyon days of Reconstruction is when rich, white hegemony reasserted itself, chasing out the pro-black legislatures, often literally, with violence. Notably, in one of the many attempted coups, James Longstreet, a prominent former Confederate general, played an important part of leading the defence of the democratically elected government against the White League militia attempting the coup. Longstreet is also conspicuously absent from all the confederate memorials, erased from the southern nationalist narrative for his temerity in participating in and supporting Reconstruction era government.

And of course, after Reconstruction ended and whites seized power again, it all got forgotten, if not outright covered up. Most people just assume that the sharecropping pseudo-slavery and Jim Crow laws just popped up immediately after the civil war, and they don't know that before the civil war ended, there was a proven example of how protection of voter rights could work before the civil rights movement had to rebuild everything from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Samopsa posted:

The same with firearm in the US: the NRA actually opposed assault rifles and other guns that are overkill for hunting before a radical libertarian group took over in 1977, which helped create the current (quite insane) gun culture.

Really want a video with Wayne LaPierre's head in place of the Joker's in Suicide Squad when he says to Harley Quinn, "I need a machine gun."

Maybe it's about time I learn After Effects.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

I want to read the other articles in That Isn't Even Remotely The Point magazine. "Hitler: Great with Dogs!" or "Is there a Wage Gap in Child Labor?" seem like interesting reads.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

geeves posted:

Really want a video with Wayne LaPierre's head in place of the Joker's in Suicide Squad when he says to Harley Quinn, "I need a machine gun."

Maybe it's about time I learn After Effects.

Nit even sure you could call it Libertarian. The coup was funded by Colt and Daewoo who suddenly had a large AR stockpile after Vietnam ended.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

I also really like that suicide pact between a few of the remaining cabinet members. The typical fascist strongman strategy is supposed to be making your cronies fight against each other for your favor, and here they are ganging up against him, since they're more capable human beings and they're not idiots.

Don't know if that's actually going to stop the White House steadily emptying out though, especially when the government shutdown or default or however the budget gets screwed up comes along.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also really like that suicide pact between a few of the remaining cabinet members. The typical fascist strongman strategy is supposed to be making your cronies fight against each other for your favor, and here they are ganging up against him, since they're more capable human beings and they're not idiots.

Don't know if that's actually going to stop the White House steadily emptying out though, especially when the government shutdown or default or however the budget gets screwed up comes along.

Gotta love how this might be what actually happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_AzEeIGznU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMPIN' ON INTO THE POWER LINES

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gotta love how this might be what actually happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_AzEeIGznU

That was made in 2010.... gently caress

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight...768552416186368
https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight...768523261362182
I'm really sick of capitalism at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Slippery Tilde

I went through with a credit freeze with the four agencies (Innovis is the lesser known fourth) and it only cost me $10. All told it was pretty painless, but I also knew that at least for my situation where I didn't need any new lines of credit or (hopefully) new employment any time soon it seemed like the prudent course of action to take.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Here's something I don't quite understand about the whole Equifax/credit report situation in general: Where do they get that information in the first place? It seems weird to me that a corporation can just have your very important identification information without you actually giving it to them (I assume that when you apply for a credit card with a bank there's probably some clause in the contract that mentions that the information you give the bank will also be given to the credit agencies, but that really seems like something you should be able to opt out of)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Here's something I don't quite understand about the whole Equifax/credit report situation in general: Where do they get that information in the first place? It seems weird to me that a corporation can just have your very important identification information without you actually giving it to them (I assume that when you apply for a credit card with a bank there's probably some clause in the contract that mentions that the information you give the bank will also be given to the credit agencies, but that really seems like something you should be able to opt out of)

The SSN is the one unique identifier every single person with credit has. That's how they know which "The Cheshire Cat" you are to report your credit score/history back to the companies that request it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sure you can opt out of the credit system, as long as you don't ever need a car/house/utilities/credit card and sadly more often lately even a job as some of them have started credit checking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

socialsecurity posted:

Sure you can opt out of the credit system, as long as you don't ever need a car/house/utilities/credit card and sadly more often lately even a job as some of them have started credit checking.

I never understood why they run credit checks for a job. Like, I get it if you are gonna me handling/managing large sums of money or trusted with secure info that could be sold to get out of massive debt. But why does someone working middle management or in HR, sales, marketing, etc. need one?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Basically they get information from banks/employers/whatever source that they can find to determine whether or not you're a reliable debtor. It's a tradition that goes back to 1874. Nobody's ever established the legal right to privacy, so there's plenty of companies that just go around and do this whenever. NPR did a nice piece on this.

And of course, Equifax has all this data, but they have no real motivation to keep it secret. Fear of identity theft makes more people buy their protection services anyways. Like all white collar criminals, especially in the financial industry, they screw you coming and going. Technically their only crime was insider trading, although you could make a case for gross negligence.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

It also gives racists another possible reason why they can't hire a person with dark skin.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I've been binge watching previous seasons on HBOGo and got to the episode where they briefly mention the Ebola cases of 2014. I didn't remember much from back then so I decided to look the nurse up. It turns out she sued the poo poo out of the hospital she worked at (also the hospital that took care of her) for not properly training staff to handle this kind of disease, they settled last year. The statement John read in the show is likely PR bullshit, as she had wanted to remain anonymous, but the hospital went behind her back and used her to try and save face.

e: Wyatt Cenac is getting his own HBO show too, with John listed as executive producer.

quote:

Wyatt Cenac has been set to star in a 10-episode late-night comedic docuseries at HBO that John Oliver is executive producing. The network said the series will take a satirical look at social and cultural issues from the former Daily Show correspondent’s unique perspective. Rather than sit behind a desk, he will undertake a journey to understand some of the big issues of the moment and investigate real-world solutions. It is slated to bow in spring 2018.

Ignis fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2017 around 05:58

Afro
May 29, 2007

Neil de Tyson

i literally work at dunkin donuts and i completely agree. gently caress maple pecan, pumpkin spince 4ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

You don't belong in this world!

Afro posted:

i literally work at dunkin donuts and i completely agree. gently caress maple pecan, pumpkin spince 4ever

That was easily the funniest “And now,” since “Ayn Rand: Why is this still a thing?”

«223 »