Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FilthyImp posted:

Actually the problem was she had an Indigo Child so of course the normie tests were uncalibrated for his particular biorhythms.

Or some poo poo like that.

No, she cured the autism. She wrote a book about that I only read the blurb on the back up to the point where her son was no longer autistic and how big medicine lies. Then I put it down and never picked it back up lest my brain explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gyges posted:

cured the autism

:fuckoff:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

coyo7e posted:

If you see many conservative politicians in action, they will often use "but" like a bludgeoning instrument all the time when they want to make a wink-wink-nudge-nudge point to bolster their arguments.. "I'm not a scientist, but I don't see how global warming can be caused by humans," or "I'm not an expert, but I don't see how pitting mantis shrimp against each other in a shrimp fight club, has any military applications" (when there's actually a super high strength polymer maerial which was recently patented for use in aircraft, which came from investigating how mantis shrimp tail plates won't break under the absolutelly insane amounts of pressure and repeated strikes they receive durting fights, up to and including somehow ignoring cavitation pressure and degradation) well, then loving ask a scientist, dipshit!

You say something like "they're almost certainly incorrect about the link bewteen autism and vaccinations however, I do understand that it's a trigger point for many parents who are searching for an explanation of why their child is not a perfect snowflake, which could lead to overreactinos or incorrect reactions or onus of blame being placed on the wrong thing."
If you can't replace the word 'but' in a sentence like that with a period, it's weaseley.

"They're almost certainly incorrect about the link between autism and vaccines. I do understand that it's a trigger point for many parents who are searching for an explanation of why their child is not a perfect snowflake, which could lead to overreactions or incorrect reactions or onus of blame being placed on the wrong thing. The issue with incorrectly blaming a non-factor because it 'feels right' is that a) you then ignore the actual causal factors, thus not actually solving the problem, and b) divert time, effort, and resources away from fruitful things. Money being spent to run yet another experiment on vaccines and autism might better be spent on studying other possible causes for autism.'

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

coyo7e posted:

It was part of a segment. Specifically, the quack autism vaccine dude, iirc. Either the politician or the doctor said it in a way that made it very obvious they were using it as a get-out-of-what-i-just-said-free card. FWIW I didn't notice gutabomb's post however, he also used "but" to negate the first half of one of his sentences about autism not being caused by vacciens BUT it's a still serious health problem that causes parents to stress out (which is basically giving a free pass to peolpe overreacting and acting stupidly)!

If you see many conservative politicians in action, they will often use "but" like a bludgeoning instrument all the time when they want to make a wink-wink-nudge-nudge point to bolster their arguments.. "I'm not a scientist, but I don't see how global warming can be caused by humans," or "I'm not an expert, but I don't see how pitting mantis shrimp against each other in a shrimp fight club, has any military applications" (when there's actually a super high strength polymer maerial which was recently patented for use in aircraft, which came from investigating how mantis shrimp tail plates won't break under the absolutelly insane amounts of pressure and repeated strikes they receive durting fights, up to and including somehow ignoring cavitation pressure and degradation) well, then loving ask a scientist, dipshit!

Robert Anton Wilson has a lot of thought excercises about removing certain words from your vocabulary, such as absolute statements where it'd be more correct and safer to say "in my experince, this seems to be-" instead of "this is -" and the word "but", because when you use "but" you are basically shutting your mind off from the previous thing you said, which is obviously not going to hold up, and as was mentioned, is a huge cognitive dissonance as well as a good way to just say any old crap and then hand-wave it away. The recommended alternative to "but" is "however," because you have to think a little harder about what you're going to say to fully qualify the statement.

You say something like "they're almost certainly incorrect about the link bewteen autism and vaccinations however, I do understand that it's a trigger point for many parents who are searching for an explanation of why their child is not a perfect snowflake, which could lead to overreactinos or incorrect reactions or onus of blame being placed on the wrong thing."

Point taken. I'll make sure to use however instead of but, since the second half of my sentence certainly didn't negate the first half. It was in reference to the guy saying autism is "no big deal" and wanted to convey that I disagreed with that part, not the part about the vaccines which is clearly not the cause.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

GutBomb posted:

Point taken. I'll make sure to use however instead of but, since the second half of my sentence certainly didn't negate the first half. It was in reference to the guy saying autism is "no big deal" and wanted to convey that I disagreed with that part, not the part about the vaccines which is clearly not the cause.

"They're almost certainly incorrect about the link between autism and vaccinations; numerous legitimate studies have failed to draw a link, while the famous Wakefield study was fraudulent, and Wakefield was stripped of his medical license. I do understand that it's a trigger point for many parents who are searching for an explanation of why their child is not a perfect snowflake, which could lead to overreactions or incorrect reactions or onus of blame being placed on the wrong thing. The issue there is that the time, effort, and money being spent on yet another study into vaccines and autism isn't being spent on research that could potentially lead to breakthroughs in autism treatment and prevention. The second is that in incorrectly stating that vaccines are causing health issues is causing real and harmful health issues. It's 2017; no child should be dying of measles. It wouldn't surprise me if polio starts popping up again within my lifetime, and that's disgusting."

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This week's episode was so great. The finish with the movie trailer was brilliant.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
That was a very good, very important episode.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol of course they managed to get Nixon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That was also the most aesthetically kind depiction of Nixon I'd ever seen.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

"Hey, multiple award nominee Anna Kendrick, you want to film a bit for John Oliver for a day?"

"sure, what do I have to do?"

"gently caress a wax president"

"poo poo I'll do that for free"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wanna make a bet that they hired a now unemployed wax president maker to make a glistening trump. Peak Trump. Overweight, too long of a tie, making a dump face and arms flailing as if trying to communicate their disdain at the individual they grew from.

At first I thought they were going to blow up said figure, but now I know they have far grander aspirations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am sure the Reagan one is being used as a sex toy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wax stuff was funny but the Sinclair story is absolutely maddening. :negative:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The wax trailer was worth sitting through a much-ado-about-nothing rant again (we should regulate TV news content, you say? Outstanding insight!)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

basic hitler posted:

The wax stuff was funny but the Sinclair story is absolutely maddening. :negative:

The Sinclair story reminded me of something that happened with my local CBS affiliate. They ran an incredibly infuriating story about Pizzagate that tried its absolute damnedest to lend credibility to that bullshit.

They later retracted the story because so many people ripped into it, but it came out that the reporter that did the story is a right wing conspiracy nut that came from Russia Today and that it was a must-run from the right wing leaning Meredith Corporation that owns CBS 46.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Vanderdeath posted:

it was a must-run from the right wing leaning Meredith Corporation that owns CBS 46.

No.
That seems to be entirely stupidity restricted to your local studio. Meredith's known mostly for a small handful of boring stations and owning a bunch of magazines like Better Homes & Gardens and the "Eat This, Not That" series. They're also going to or not going to be swallowed up by Nexstar depending on the phase of the moon.

Sinclair is an exception on it's own. There's a lot of similar giants like Nexstar in terms of stations, but the culture and political grandstanding is uniquely them and has been for about 15 years minimum. They didn't even produce the news locally 12 years ago when I moved here, they produced it in one studio for all their different affiliates, so no matter where you were in the country you had the same Midwestern person reading headlines, and then just cycled certain bits in or out for different regions based on relevance. By comparison, Nexstar is even bigger pending Sinclair/Tribune, but is known mostly for just cutting budgets and refusing to pay the kind of money that popular anchors in a region will often get from local ownership and causing them to go elsewhere, not for overt politics. Meredith's just kind of there, their Fox station in my region has the most vocally liberal anchor on TV here.

That early 2000s Sinclair thing where the news is the same across the nation, with just certain segments jumping over to a local caster at a desk to sprinkle some hyper-regional story and then throwing it back to the national reel, is exactly how the BBC does it, by the by. It's just that it's regulated over there.

After watching enough Canadian and British TV feeds and news broadcasts, I've come to the opinion that independently-owned affiliates are loving stupid but exist because our population is sprawled out into so many different little regions. BBC can cover the entire United Kingdom with twelve English broadcast offices and one each for Scotland, Wales, and NI. Their private competitor, ITV, started out with independent ownership until they all merged together into one mothership corporation. The British right seems to have this obsession for years with bringing US-style station variances and differentiation in ownership to their media market, to which I can only ask why the hell would you.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 3, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The british right probably wants it because, as evidenced with sinclair, they have an easy in to snatch up stations and subvert programming choices, while maintaining a veneer of independence.

It feels almost sinister to me, and i'm not the kind of person to go in that direction with people I disagree with politically. But I manged to get a right wing friend to watch that sinclair bit and he was massively creeped out by their behavior too.

The fact there is a company quietly buying up stations, not reporting it, and forcing these stations to run this programming without disclosing what it is, seems like its really subversive

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Bobby Baccalieri aged well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > LWT: Jon Stewart's Mannequin Sex Dungeon

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It sure is an Orwellian future we're building. It's utterly bizarre to see a man on the news railing against "Social Justice Warriors" and calling them "snowflakes." That's the sort of discourse that's normally restricted to the internet.

Don't those wax figures need very specific temperatures to be maintained properly? I wonder if they'll end up getting ruined under their new ownership.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

It sure is an Orwellian future we're building. It's utterly bizarre to see a man on the news railing against "Social Justice Warriors" and calling them "snowflakes." That's the sort of discourse that's normally restricted to the internet.

Don't those wax figures need very specific temperatures to be maintained properly? I wonder if they'll end up getting ruined under their new ownership.

Warren G Harding has already gone face-first down a staircase at least once; somehow I don't think they're concerning themselves with long-term maintenance beyond "keep this vaguely recognizable until we think of enough bits to use it in to justify its purchase"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

The british right probably wants it because, as evidenced with sinclair, they have an easy in to snatch up stations and subvert programming choices, while maintaining a veneer of independence.

It feels almost sinister to me, and i'm not the kind of person to go in that direction with people I disagree with politically. But I manged to get a right wing friend to watch that sinclair bit and he was massively creeped out by their behavior too.

The fact there is a company quietly buying up stations, not reporting it, and forcing these stations to run this programming without disclosing what it is, seems like its really subversive

It's basically the same strategy used by the political right via groups like ALEC. Make a bunch of noise at the national level to draw media attention, while quietly taking over all the local legislatures and passing identical bills everywhere.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they also do poo poo in hiring mgt that will always lead with the "OMG a .12 cent gas tax increase by DEMOCRATS - we talk to ANGRY drivers!" over the burning plane crashed at 3PM on the local freeway causing hours of delays.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Thank God, I'm glad to be proven wrong on that. Sinclair bought one of our news affiliates back in my hometown in Kansas and its editorials and stories went from standard fair to left wing-bashing over the years. The Ben Swann story here made me worry that it's happening to the bigger affiliates in major metropolitan centers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

basic hitler posted:

They report it. It's just up to the viewers to actually give a poo poo. Some affiliates are also network-owned, and in certain rarified cities like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, all the ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC stations are actually owned by ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC. In the industry, these are called "O&Os" (owned and operated).

However, independently owned stations often hide behind the logo of their national network, and networks themselves sometimes help them create graphics and brand identity for their local news. Which is why in so many towns, the local FOX station uses what I've come to term the vertical Fox box for their logo. They also usually use the web site domain, myfox[citynamehere].com

The big example of an uproar over this recently is that KTVU in San Francisco went O&O after many years of ownership by Cox Media, and over the years their news broadcasts (which were often #1 in ratings over the decades) have stressed when dealing with a story about Fox News Channel or something that the affiliate isn't owned by Fox but is independent. So when they went O&O, they adopted the Fox graphics and sound package briefly and their logo was given the bog-standard Fox treatment, and people complained and ratings dipped. In fact, the natives began to figure out just through the sudden changes in the graphics and sound that the station ownership changed. Not good if your audience is northern Californians that largely reject the GOP.

They're still not using the old theme music and stuff from the past 30 years, but at least Fox was smart enough to bring back the old call letters and logo.

In general, Fox wants affiliates in NFC football cities to be O&O, so they can make the ad money from the NFL games. They bought KTVU by trading Cox the ownership of the Fox affiliate in Boston in exchange for San Francisco. This is because the 49ers are an NFC team, but the Patriots are an AFC team and their games air on CBS.

Here in Nevada, Reno and Las Vegas used to have NBC affiliates owned by a local millionaire who was fiercely liberal, was briefly UNLV Chancellor, and frequently pushed the state Republicans to not gut the public education system. The local news, within reason, reflected his viewpoints and he actually did Opinion pundit pieces just like Sinclair does, usually showing up in person and giving a speech in support of teachers or climate change or some other left-leaning cause. He died a few years ago, and the estate sold his stations to Sinclair. The political tone has swung dramatically in the past two years.

So it does swing to both sides, but ultimately if you just want impartial news you should be pushing for increased regulation like we haven't had since Reagan ended the fairness doctrine. The problem is that the Democrats are also a big money party yadda yadda yadda Bernie would have won.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SlothfulCobra posted:

It kind of looks like they removed the statue's head and arms for that bit? Personally I would love to see a slowly melting nixon just stand behind John for the rest of the show.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

It kind of looks like they removed the statue's head and arms for that bit? Personally I would love to see a slowly melting nixon just stand behind John for the rest of the show.

Replace Nixon's hair with a Trump wig, but don't comment about it at all.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Replace Nixon's hair with a Trump wig, but don't comment about it at all.

No, I think have 4 Nixons in total to equal Trump

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Trump makes nixon look legit

Caros
May 14, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That was also the most aesthetically kind depiction of Nixon I'd ever seen.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That's the kind of handsome psychopath who looks like he'd propose to a girl on their first date.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would let young Nixon use me and then dump my body in a river any day.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Young Nixon makes me feel weird like young Stalin. :smith: Stupid sexy Stalin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just go look at young Biden until you feel better.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, tons of progressives were beautiful in their youth. See also: Tim Kaine

Time rots us all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tarlibone posted:

That's the kind of handsome psychopath who looks like he'd propose to a girl on their first date.

And then chauffeur her around on dates with other men until she finally agreed.

Also, Alex Jones used to look like a stand-in for the Kobra Kai teacher from the original Karate Kid.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 4, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm starting to suspect that GoT isn't HBO's most expensive show.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alhazred posted:

I'm starting to suspect that GoT isn't HBO's most expensive show.

Because they bought five wax statues and shot a ridiculous 2 minute trailer?

I mean this in the kindest possible way: are you high?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They spent $13.5k on the five Presidents (ref:Boston Globe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pablo Bluth posted:

They spent $13.5k on the five Presidents (ref:Boston Globe).

To put this in perspective, the top actors on Game of Thrones are reported to be earning in excess of $1 million per episode each.

LWT's "weird nonsense" budget is a rounding error in Game of Thrones overall budget.

• Locked thread