Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's something inherently silly about most horrifying authoritarian dictatorships when you're looking at things other than the horrible oppression and mass deaths. Maybe it's just the stark contrast that really highlights it all, or the fact that absolutely nobody will countermand their glorious leader when he decides to goof off.

I wonder how the North Koreans will feel about all the accompanying instruments with the accordion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Same, except I have faith in juche and didn't doubt myself for a second.

Who the hell else could it be other than Al? Can anyone even name another remotely famous person who plays the accordion?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's something inherently silly about most horrifying authoritarian dictatorships when you're looking at things other than the horrible oppression and mass deaths. Maybe it's just the stark contrast that really highlights it all, or the fact that absolutely nobody will countermand their glorious leader when he decides to goof off.

I wonder how the North Koreans will feel about all the accompanying instruments with the accordion.

Mr. Trigger-Warning made that thankfully-quick quip about The Interview, but I think Kim just didn't want it getting out that he actually does love driving tanks around empty fields while he blasts inspirational Katy Perry tunes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Dumb Lowtax posted:

^^^Same

So do polygraphs work because people are far worse at lying when they know they're hooked up to something being referred to as a "lie detector" by the people who are closely watching them, even if the machine is an empty metal box? And although it'd be easy to "beat" one if you know this hustle and just don't act any weirder / different due to knowing you're hooked up, for all those false negatives you'd have it's still a great trick/con for getting true confessions the interrogators wouldn't have otherwise scored as long as there's anybody out there who hasn't grown wise to the routine?

I've heard they were junk science but I've never thought about it that way. Was there anything else besides the junk science thing that This American Life said about them that was shocking? Did a lie detector actually shock someone out of spite?

They're just nervousness "detectors", basically.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Not even that, "nervousness" tells the investigators and the courts nothing. They're to trick people into stupidly confessing all of the sudden because they think the machine knows anyway. Right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yep they intimidate you into thinking the machine will expose you anyway so to forego humiliation you confess. It's a total bullshit machine.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Now that I think of it, that fits right in with the other classic interrogation techniques of acting like your connection to the crime has already been found / your accomplice has already been flipped just to fool you into confessing to what you think they already know about. It's just another tedious variation of that plus a metal box. In that light it's not nearly as controversial as it seemed at first when it was presented as "courts and police are using totally fraudulent expensive e-meters as real evidence to convict people."

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Polygraphs haven't been admissible in court for years. But they are still legal to use for job interviews and stuff like that which is still hosed up because false positives can cost people's careers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would have to be an idiot to be on the receiving end of a polygraph in a criminal investigation as you are volunteering to forgo your lawyer. Even if you are completely innocent and have nothing to hide the police are looking to collar someone especially in high profile cases and one slip of the tongue can get you in a world of hurt.

Getting taken for a ride through prison based on police shittiness is universal and the US excels at it with methods that intended to get people in prisons.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Weird Al owns.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

swickles posted:

As soon as Jon was hinting at another person, I kept saying "Weird Al" over and over and did a full on fist pump when he was announced.
The show has a weird tick of always off-handedly mentioning their celebrity guest in a joke midway through the episode. Though they're usually buried in a lot of other off-handed mentions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

The show has a weird tick of always off-handedly mentioning their celebrity guest in a joke midway through the episode. Though they're usually buried in a lot of other off-handed mentions.
It's called foreshadowing :colbert:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

It's called foreshadowing :colbert:

"Oliver's Accordion"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Mr. Trigger-Warning made that thankfully-quick quip about The Interview, but I think Kim just didn't want it getting out that he actually does love driving tanks around empty fields while he blasts inspirational Katy Perry tunes.

In Kim's defense, that sounds like a pretty rad way to spend an afternoon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Madurai posted:

In Kim's defense, that sounds like a pretty rad way to spend an afternoon.

http://www.driveatank.com/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how much creative control Weird Al had over the song, because the lyrics really fit John Oliver's LWT style.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder how much creative control Weird Al had over the song, because the lyrics really fit John Oliver's LWT style.

Al's twitter said "I wrote"

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/897247752563773444

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Tom Hanks gag is ENTIRELY something Weird Al would do

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Burkion posted:

The Tom Hanks gag is ENTIRELY something Weird Al would do

It's also something John Oliver would do. Really its just a universal truth that everyone loves Tom Hanks

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Afro posted:

It's also something John Oliver would do. Really its just a universal truth that everyone loves Tom Hanks
Except for the people who watched Cloud Atlas

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

coyo7e posted:

Except for the people who watched Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas owns.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I like it too but gooncensus is that it's trash

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

Is there a gooncensus?

I don't think that's a real thing

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Raxivace posted:

Cloud Atlas owns.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
NPR today tells me that North Korea is suddenly stepping back with a declaration that it wont be nuking anybody.

Thanks Al!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solvent posted:

NPR today tells me that North Korea is suddenly stepping back with a declaration that it wont be nuking anybody.

Thanks Al!

They don't want to interrupt the second civil war, drat decent of them really

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

coyo7e posted:

I don't know about gooncensus but I loved the book and neither liked nor disliked the movie. If I hadn't read it first I would have had no idea what was going on.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Solvent posted:

Thanks Al!

And with that brush fire out, President Trump felt that it was time for a nuclear meltdown at Trump Tower. Watching one of his cronies visibly cringing was oddly satisfying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Afro posted:

I don't know if it is true but a couple of years ago I read something about how Colin Hanks doesn't have the best relationship with his dad because when he was growing up Tom was constantly running around making movies instead of spending any time with him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Burkion posted:

Is there a gooncensus?

I don't think that's a real thing
Ask anyone about Scott Bakker

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 16, 2017

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Azhais posted:

They don't want to interrupt the second civil war, drat decent of them really

That's good, it's a really nice movie. Funfact, it's financed by HBO, and directed by Joe Dante:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGKBfew6hSU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

PassTheRemote posted:

That's good, it's a really nice movie. Funfact, it's financed by HBO, and directed by Joe Dante:

I remember watching a straight-to-cable movie, maybe twenty years ago, involving Kelsey Grammar, I believe. The plot was that one of the states was going to secede. Mobilized their NG, the whole nine yards. Finally, cooler heads prevailed, and the governer called up his chief of staff or some such to tell him to schedule a press conference, and the governor was going to give his succession speech. The feds wiretapping him, though, misheard 'secession' for 'succession' and kicked off an invasion.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

TheCenturion posted:

I remember watching a straight-to-cable movie, maybe twenty years ago, involving Kelsey Grammar, I believe. The plot was that one of the states was going to secede. Mobilized their NG, the whole nine yards. Finally, cooler heads prevailed, and the governer called up his chief of staff or some such to tell him to schedule a press conference, and the governor was going to give his succession speech. The feds wiretapping him, though, misheard 'secession' for 'succession' and kicked off an invasion.

Pretty sure that's the same one, though with Beau Bridges.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheCenturion posted:

You're basically describing the plot of the Second Civil War but without Grammar. You're probably conflating it with The Pentagon Wars, which was another HBO political satire from the time that starred Grammar and was about the corruption and waste of military spending.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It was also based on a book of the same name about the Bradley.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It also had a genie named Kaazam played by Sinbad.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PassTheRemote posted:

So was the direction just a contest about who can overact the most?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Phone posting, but there a clip on YouTube from The Pentagon Wars summing up how a fast, lightly armored personnel carrier became a slower general purpose "try to do it all" vehicle with the same amount of armor.

Going from room for 14 passengers to room for 6 doesn't really work well. It essentially forces the army to keep using pre-Vietnam-era APCs to this day. The ones the Bradley was supposed to replace.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Asiina posted:

So was the direction just a contest about who can overact the most?

In a satire/comedy? Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

John Oliver posted:

We rushed to develop nuclear weapons to defeat the Nazis, which, fun fact, almost all Americans agreed were bad at the time

John Oliver has really been hitting home runs with the humor this season compared to the previous ones. I actually laugh quite frequently now.

• Locked thread