Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alhazred posted:

That doesn't explain Elizabeth Olsen though.

You know how 6 Constructicons form 1 Devastator? Same principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

That doesn't explain Elizabeth Olsen though.

Ironically, there are at least two of her.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man I can't fuckin stand parliament so no matter how good that segment might have been, thank you stupid law for making it impossible to broadcast in the U.K.

Some of those reviews made me laugh

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Here's the UK-only Yelp segment in full, best clip I could find https://streamable.com/hyr5i

And here's the segment everyone else saw https://streamable.com/6lrap

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McDragon posted:

Man I can't fuckin stand parliament so no matter how good that segment might have been, thank you stupid law for making it impossible to broadcast in the U.K.

Some of those reviews made me laugh

Gilbert looked like he was close to breaking by the third time John cut in.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Good segment, I'm generally not crazy about the show's neoliberal foreign policy takes, but that end song bit was pretty horrible. It was smug in the way this show's worst moments always are, was super condescending, and worst of all just wasn't funny. Laughed pretty hard as usual at the America bits

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I didn't mind the song, it wasn't their best bit but it was like 30 seconds.

I feel like the chief problem with the parody song is that the original is so surreal the parody seemed almost pointless

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 18, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Good segment, I'm generally not crazy about the show's neoliberal foreign policy takes, but that end song bit was pretty horrible. It was smug in the way this show's worst moments always are, was super condescending, and worst of all just wasn't funny. Laughed pretty hard as usual at the America bits

I saw this episode as just another one where he's daring his bosses to fire him. making GBS threads on AT&T, then shining a light on China's lovely dealings.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 18, 2018

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ugh, that segment was terrible. Very orientalist language. Xi is will known for cleaning up corruption, but also he "conveniently" can get rid of his political rivals! You mean... the corrupt ones? Because that's a good thing, John. Getting rid of them. Remember? What you were just talking about? Also! Calling people uncle/aunt/etc is extremely normal in Asian cultures! It's not weird in the slightest! Also, it didn't rain for four loving years in 60% of the arable land in China, I'd hardly call that Mao's fault.

Goddamn. Read a book.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There is a genuine danger of China managing to cover up its internal oppressive regimes while gaining more and more influence across the world, especially when certain far right officials would love a successful playbook on how to set up a cult of personality and create a dictatorship.

I didn't know that they were trying to stamp out the Uyghurs. That's real sad to hear, they're one of the only ethnic groups of China I know anything about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ugh, that segment was terrible. Very orientalist language. Xi is will known for cleaning up corruption, but also he "conveniently" can get rid of his political rivals! You mean... the corrupt ones? Because that's a good thing, John. Getting rid of them. Remember? What you were just talking about? Also! Calling people uncle/aunt/etc is extremely normal in Asian cultures! It's not weird in the slightest! Also, it didn't rain for four loving years in 60% of the arable land in China, I'd hardly call that Mao's fault.

Goddamn. Read a book.

It is not a good look for a leader to declare himself leader for life.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I totally trust the guy who purges people that he is purging them because they are corrupt and not for any other reason...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's not weird in the slightest! Also, it didn't rain for four loving years in 60% of the arable land in China, I'd hardly call that Mao's fault.

No it’s not, but the gross mismanagement, refusal to hear criticism, abolishing the concept of personal property and destroying a way of life that has withstood 2000 years and taxing the harvests by volume instead of actual harvested goods in order to meet the requirements of an arms contract with the Soviet Union certainly are. The Great Leap Forward killed 18 million people at a low end estimate and inspired Polpot’s similar tactics.

There is legitimate evidence that Mao didn’t know the extent to which the farmers were suffering but that was mainly do to an atmosphere of fear he had cultivated where his advisors were terrified of telling him his handpicked leaders were corrupt.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No it’s not, but the gross mismanagement, refusal to hear criticism, abolishing the concept of personal property and destroying a way of life that has withstood 2000 years and taxing the harvests by volume instead of actual harvested goods in order to meet the requirements of an arms contract with the Soviet Union certainly are. The Great Leap Forward killed 18 million people at a low end estimate and inspired Polpot’s similar tactics.

There is legitimate evidence that Mao didn’t know the extent to which the farmers were suffering but that was mainly do to an atmosphere of fear he had cultivated where his advisors were terrified of telling him his handpicked leaders were corrupt.

This. Peng Dehuai famously warned him about the failings of the system, and he ignored him, and eventually arrested him. Not to mention all of the other terrible poo poo Mao did, like the anti-rightist campaign, the cultural revolution, the poo poo did that impeded the women's movement, and so much more. If you defend Mao nowadays, you are either ignorant about what actually happened or extremely radical.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ugh, that segment was terrible. Very orientalist language. Xi is will known for cleaning up corruption, but also he "conveniently" can get rid of his political rivals! You mean... the corrupt ones? Because that's a good thing, John. Getting rid of them. Remember? What you were just talking about?

Their are serious problems with it. The party's propaganda would like you to think that it is all it is. However, the following things are true:

1) It is extralegal and extrajudicial. From Wikiepdia:

Wikipedia posted:

When an official is detained for an investigation, known as Shuanggui, they are essentially placed under house arrest and are isolated from the outside world. The subject often must endure days of grueling interrogation. Data from the first half of 2014 showed that the conviction rate of those who were investigated in that time period to be around 99%.

2) It addresses only the symptoms, not the causes of the problem. The cause of corruption in China is the lack of judiciary power to actually do anything about it. All this campaign would do, if successfully removing the corrupt, is remove the corruption for a few years.

3) Given the above, it is really convenient that many of the affected groups happen to be his political rivals (the Shanghai faction and the Youth League).

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 18, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
John should do a mini segment on the modern definitions of Tankies after the lash back from this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ugh, that segment was terrible. Very orientalist language. Xi is will known for cleaning up corruption, but also he "conveniently" can get rid of his political rivals! You mean... the corrupt ones? Because that's a good thing, John. Getting rid of them. Remember? What you were just talking about?
Agreed. The suggestion that the president for life is somehow abusing his ability to jail his political rivals at will is preposterous

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

John should do a mini segment on the modern definitions of Tankies after the lash back from this.

like american media would ever glance at the left lmao

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guys, Mao is famous for two things:

1. Being an incredibly effective guerilla fighter and leader who seized control of all of China
2. Being an incredibly bad politician and statesman with disastrous policy ideas that killed millions both intentionally and unintentionally

Also,

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is this is the first time in your lifetime you've seen an authoritarian leader consolidate power in an already corrupt system? Are you honestly this naive?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Do you believe that Xi is only getting rid of corrupt officials, and many of them just happen to be his political rivals, and that John Oliver somehow forgot about this "definitely true fact" mid-sentence? Or did you miss the implication that Xi is using this process to rid himself of his rivals using an extrajudicial process that he and he alone seems to be in control of? Because I was able to infer Oliver's true intent, and I'm not sure how anyone else wasn't. Just an FYI: this is the #1 trick used by despots and dictators* to secure power, and it has been for pretty much all of history.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Also! Calling people uncle/aunt/etc is extremely normal in Asian cultures! It's not weird in the slightest!

I'm not an expert in Asian culture, mainly because there is no such thing, because Asia is a gigantic place with many different cultures that, well, aren't all the same. But even assuming that this particular cultural, syntactic idiosyncrasy is universal throughout all of Asia (the idiosyncrasy being that calling people aunt or uncle is common), you should be made aware that everywhere else in the world where dictators have existed, this is yet another common tactic--creating a cult of personality where Glorious Leader is likened to a close member of everyone's family. But hey, maybe that's a coincidence. Since calling political leaders aunt and/or uncle is common. In all of Asia.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Also, it didn't rain for four loving years in 60% of the arable land in China, I'd hardly call that Mao's fault.

So in your studies of "Asian culture," in the chapter called "The Great Chinese Famine," what you took away was that the problem was mostly the weather? Really? Because even the government of China places 70% of the blame on non-weather-related issues (read: mismanagement; read: Mao.).

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Goddamn. Read a book.

Fair enough.

* I know, I know; that's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I never thought I'd read a defence of Chairman loving Mao here but there you go

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao,
You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
move over hitler did nothing wrong

chairman mao did nothing wrong

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Fuhrer? But Asians usually call people uncle!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I love the implication that the guy who rose to the top of a hilarious corrupt system and has declared himself emperor for life is somehow above corruption himself and couldn't possibly be bumping off political adversaries.

Yo Doctor Reynolds, can we get your top 10 list of why Pol Pot was an awesome dude next?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I read that reply a few days ago before there were a lot of responses and I was truly confused that maybe I was misinterpreting it. I am glad to see that I am not suffering from some form of dementia and that someone is actually in favor of a dictator type leadership.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You are, everyone that spends any appreciable time on the internet is developing dementia.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tarlibone posted:

I'm not an expert in Asian culture, mainly because there is no such thing, because Asia is a gigantic place with many different cultures that, well, aren't all the same. But even assuming that this particular cultural, syntactic idiosyncrasy is universal throughout all of Asia (the idiosyncrasy being that calling people aunt or uncle is common), you should be made aware that everywhere else in the world where dictators have existed, this is yet another common tactic--creating a cult of personality where Glorious Leader is likened to a close member of everyone's family. But hey, maybe that's a coincidence. Since calling political leaders aunt and/or uncle is common. In all of Asia.

Uncle Joe did nothing wrong:colbert:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Uncle Joe did nothing wrong:colbert:

Ha.

Back in the day, Mountain Dew's commercials had this song: "Doin' it country cool / Mountain Dew!" Here's an exmaple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9miyq8nutM

Well, that has as many syllables as "Hitler did nothing wrong / Mountain Dew!"

And ever since that infamous contest, the phrase "Hitler did nothing wrong" has a soundtrack in my head. And it's frighteningly catchy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Goddamn. Read a book.

This is largely how I felt, but I wasn't sure exactly what was wrong. Like after Venezuela, I already suspected he wasn't being fair to China. And I think I was right.

That and the whole "China has a whole plan to do exactly what the US has done for a century! But they're CHinese so it's evil!" thing

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Trying to wrap my mind around someone saying Oliver isn't critical enough of America.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Greaseman posted:

Trying to wrap my mind around someone saying Oliver isn't critical enough of America.

The minds of tankies are precious things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not so much that China's trying to become economically dominant as it is the oppressive autocracy that it's enriching, as well as using its influence to do bad things overseas as well. If everyone just kinda shrugs and let China get away with whatever, then it's just another step in democracy and human rights on the world stage going quietly into that good night.

And most importantly, "What about what the US has done" isn't really refuting or even addressing the argument, unless your argument is that everything is cool and good, and criticizing ethnic cleansing the establishment of an iron-fisted dictatorial grip on power is just our cultural bias showing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Very orientalist language.

Do you have any examples of this? Legitimately asking, not trying to call you out.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Goddamn. Read a book.
Mao did make TCM a popular thing which has led to untold environmental damage and extinctions of many rare animals along with the destruction of priceless dinosaur fossils being sold as "Dragon's bones"

Also maoists are nearly as annoying as Trots (but ineffective since their pitch to people instead of reading newspapers/books they tell tenets to learn how to use a gun and murder their landlords) and about as dense as Stalinists.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Goddamn. Read a book.

I can recommend two to you.

The Dictator’s Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics

and

China's Road to Disaster: Mao, Central Politicians and Provincial Leaders in the Great Leap Forward

Or you could just take tarlibone's word which basically summarizes these two and more.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

Greaseman posted:

did anyone say this lol

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not so much that China's trying to become economically dominant as it is the oppressive autocracy that it's enriching, as well as using its influence to do bad things overseas as well.

Yes, this is my contention, as well. It’s not just that China is an economic powerhouse - it is, regardless of anyone’s feelings about it. It’s that China’s methods with respect to civil liberties are horrifying, and this shows no sign of reversing.

America’s imperial methods are horrific, but that doesn’t mean it’s not also a Bad Thing that China’s economic ascendancy is accompanied with nakedly totalitarian realities.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In support of this point, all discussion of and footage from this segment is being systematically erased from Weibo.

China is engaging in brutally repressive authoritarianism and it's not xenophobic to suggest that this is a problem. Look at Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet. Legitimate nation-states are being forcefully absorbed into China's imperial project, their standing governments erased or subverted. Hongkonger activists who don't want the HK political apparatus to become an arm of the Chinese state are routinely jailed for assembling in public, or illegally abducted and "disappeared" for years at a time.

That last guy was a Swedish citizen living in Hong Kong, so China had no legal authority over him on two levels - and, to add a third, he was illegally abducted from his holiday home in Thailand, imprisoned for years without his family knowing where he was, pinned with a possibly ginned-up charge, and forced to make a televised confession. His crime? Publishing books that trafficked in gossip and satire about senior CCP figures.

Yes, America does some of these things too. That doesn't mean that the political opponent of the nation that does the bad things is necessarily doing good things.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Well America is worse so it's okay, and furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Well that didn't take long

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/21/chinas-twitter-erases-john-oliver-after-scathing-xi-jinping-skit

• Locked thread