Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Veskit posted:

Also not saying I do but I totally get hating Jews as a black person because that was white privilege amplified times 6 million

Maybe it's because I'm not American and living in the right culture to get this, or maybe I'm just dense but I have no idea what you're on about. What was white privilege times 6 million about Jews?

Veskit posted:

Hitler also gassed quite a bit of non white people so the point is fairly academic

I don't think it does. Just because Hitler hated other people too doesn't mean he didn't hate the Jews. Especially when they were his main focal point despite the existence of Jehovah's Witness, disabled people, Gypsies, ethnic minorities of various kinds and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Veskit posted:

Debatable depending on your definition just saying

How? What definition would make someone literally incapable of racism? I'm honestly curious to see you make that debate and detail what definition you're suggesting.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bass Bottles posted:

There's a lot of extremely sketchy garbage being posted on this page but I will bite on this one.

I wish you hadn't. Not because I dislike that you answered my question, which I'm thankful for - but because I resent the implication that asking a simple question is baiting in some manner or sketchy garbage.

Bass Bottles posted:

Racism is not the same thing as prejudice. Racism deals with systemic power structures. When you say that "anyone can be racist" you are denying that these systemic power structures exist.

You can be aware of and acknowledge systemic power structures while holding a different opinion on racism surely. Also, wouldn't that make systemic power structures built to keep white people poor racist? As opposed to what they'd normally be called: classist? Also also, why can someone not just differentiate between personal racism and systemic/institutional racism? I agree that racism is not the same thing as prejudice, but more because while all racism is prejudice, not all prejudice is racism since prejudice is a generalised term for discrimination based on at least one of multiple factors (class, sex, gender, religion etc.) that can include but aren't limited to race. It just seems weird to me that someone would insist racism is defined solely by systemic power structures and the classical definition is no longer valid, but that anyone looking to use that definition should now use a much more general term instead of just differentiating the two terms or using both and letting context define them.

I'd say that anyone being prejudiced/racist/personally offended/whatever at that is being unreasonable personally, because reparations aren't really a zero-sum game. The decision to repay Jews wasn't taking above repaying Black people, nor is the fact it's happening in any way denying that Black people could be repaid. They're not, which is lovely, but getting angry at Jews for receiving reparations just because Black people didn't is a futile effort at best. And saying it's just a white thing is silly since Japanese and American Indians have both gotten reparations from the American government for different atrocities over the years too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Veskit posted:

Yes it's not the same at all. You'll have a hard time comparing it it's, WILDLY different.

Well putting aside my very obvious unfamiliarity with the culture and the value of reparations other groups have received my main point was that I still think that being racist or otherwise upset at Jewish people receiving reparations is unreasonable because it's treating the matter as zero-sum when it isn't and Black people could (and should) still receive reparations. They aren't, but it's not because Jewish people are - it's because the US Government doesn't want to make those reparations for whatever reason.

Veskit posted:

WHITE POOR ISN"T A RACE. THE WHITE POOR you said the white people who happen to be poor. How is that racism in anyway shape or form? Poor white isn't a race.

I don't think it is. What I was saying was that if you define racism solely as systemic power structures, then poor people (of any race, but in this instance White) who are kept poor by systems are victims of racism when what I think they should be classified as victims of is classism. Or systemic power structures, but as it's own term instead of calling it racism. I'm objecting to that definition by asking a question that I'm hoping will clarify why I'm objecting to it and highlighting what seems to be one of the sillier outcomes of defining racism on those terms.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 2, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Veskit posted:

That's where the anger comes from. I'm not saying it warrants being horrific to someone based off of their background but you should be able to see that if you're not being empathetic about what happened then you're really being an rear end about it right?

Wrong, because I think there's a middle ground between being empathic or an rear end where someone just doesn't care. That's not really here or there though. I can understand someone being angry about the situation, and it's pretty stupid of me to word it in a way that suggest otherwise (caused by me being unsure of whether to use the word racist given the topic of discussion) - only that I don't think you can really wave away racism based on it.

Veskit posted:

White people aren't victims of classism though so it's a really bad example that doesn't make sense. Are you asking if there's a good word for the system and society keeping poor white people down?

They might not be in America, but there are certainly systems in place throughout Europe to keep some people (who happen to be White, but I doubt the people building those systems cared) poor so that there's always people to work the lovely jobs and keep the place running. I'd have thought that true in America too, but I haven't looked in to the matter.

Edit: No, I'm not looking for a good word for classism, since there is a good word for that: classism. What I'm trying to do is illustrate why I think defining racism as systemic power structures is a bad definition since (a) you can just call it systemic/institutional racism to differentiate it from regular racism and (b) it seems to include other things that wouldn't normally be considered racism, like classism and so muddle the matter unnecessarily.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 2, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The words "careful what you wish for" come to mind. Though I will admit I spent quite a bit of time the last few weeks Googling "Trump news" and reading the results because for a while it was fun to watch the car crash in motion. After the e-mail scandal it got boring though, because prior to that almost every Google brought up some new results and stories, even if it was only a hiatus of a few minutes between searches. After it though almost every story was about the emails or how close the race now was, which isn't nearly as entertaining.

Still, thank God it'll all be over in a few days, for better or worse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Josh Lyman posted:

I bet John wishes he kept his U.K. citizenship right about now.

How do you even lose natural citizenship?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wouldn't that just make him a dual citizen, rather than mean he loses his UK citizenship?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CrashCat posted:

Within margin of error levels

What are the margins of error out of interest? If Clinton got 50 million more votes (I'm aware she won't get close to that, it's an intentional exaggeration), would something happen then?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azhais posted:

If Clinton got enough votes to swing the electoral votes, things would change. If she just got an even higher percentage of popular and still lost, nothing would change.

I'm not really sure I understand this: do you mean that it doesn't matter how much more popular she was, the only thing that matters is the electoral college and she'd have to swing them somehow despite them being already decided?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dont even fink about it posted:

America now has to come to grips with how hosed over the Rust Belt feels.

My main consolation right now is thinking about how entertaining he'll be as president, when he completely fucks everything up by trying to tax companies to keep them domestic and alienates the US from the international community by getting in pointless arguments with world leaders because he has no self control

I hope he tries to build that stupid loving wall too, just for the comedy of Mexico telling him to go gently caress himself and him trying to self fund it, then giving up with only a tiny portion of it completed because it's too expensive and ultimately futile regardless.

It's not nice, but he's not gonna do a tap to help anyone in the end, himself excluded, so at least maybe his completely ineffectual presidency might get the people who voted for him to realise how worthless he is despite his simplistic promises. Far from dealing with the rust belt, I'm imagining this will be the most ignored they've ever felt due to the expectations they've accrued.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What fear did Hillary use to get people voting out of interest? I didn't pay nearly as much attention to her side of things, since Trump was so entertaining and I'm not part of the vote so it wasn't important to me. Just fear of Trump himself?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bull3964 posted:

It would be looked upon as a subversion of the popular will and any faith left in the system would collapse.

Voting for the populous winner would be seen as a subversion of the popular will? God bless America :patriot:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What did people even think a "death panel" was?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't watch the show, just the main segments on Youtube, but I've seen a few of them and they always seem kind of stupid to be honest. One of them I recall seeing was complaining about the people hosting morning shows getting flirtatious. Yea, out of context newscaster getting sexually suggestive in their language with each other is weird, but it's just people at a job trying to enliven things and make it more tolerable and fun for themselves. Who cares?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The main segment normally cover stuff I don't know given that I don't live in the US and most of it concerns the US in some manner.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's easy to see how Kushner and Ivanka get mythologized, because they act like actual human beings next to this horrible weird orange goblin creature. Not like in a way that you actually empathize with, but the bare minimum facade that most politicians and businessmen do.

The more I learn about Trump, the more human he seems to be honest. A deeply flawed, lovely human who really shouldn't be president but a human all the same. Conversely, the more I learn about Ivanka and Jared the less human, or at least humane they seem. The two of them seem almost like parasites circling Trump, and feeding off his (not particularly earned) success. At least Trump seems willing to learn, adapt and change dependent on circumstance. He'll never admit blame and still does awful things, but it's something. Ivanka and Jared put up a nice facade, but a facade is all it ever appears to be and the complete opaqueness of their actions makes it hard to discern anything human about them. I know they're as much a product of their environment as Trump, but Trump is so forthright and honest in his dickishness that it's easy to see him as human, where I don't really think that's true of the other two.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

oohhboy posted:

When has this ever happened? Had he learned anything

He changed his mind about how China could help against North Korea, then changed his mind about whether China was a currency manipulator, he's changed his mind about the export/import bank, he's changed his mind about pulling out of NAFTA, he's changed his mind about the role of NATO and it's relevance in the current climate and probably at least a couple of other things not immediately springing to mind. Several people have reported that it wasn't even that hard to change his mind (worrying in itself really), and that all it took was a few minutes and maybe some props to make him realize the complexity of the situation or how uninformed he actually was. He frames those incidents to make himself seem good when talking about them and doesn't admit any blame or lack of knowledge, but he's still changed his mind on several things. Whether he takes any lesson from those incidents is separate from whether he changes his mind about them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Pretty much, but all of that is still understandable and even somewhat sympathetic human behavior. Horrifying in someone that holds his position, but still understandable. Ivanka and Jared on the other had appear much more distant and close minded, which makes them harder to read and seem less human.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

oohhboy posted:

That's not learning.

I never said it was. Changing your mind about something is not synonymous with learning something. Nor is learning information synonymous with learning a lesson. I'm not humanising Trump to try and make him appear better, he's becoming more human looking over time to me despite himself and I'm making no effort to do it. The man that emerges is terrible; he's a sad, small man desperate for attention and adulation with no sense of responsibility among many other faults, but he's still more human and more so than his daughter or her husband, who I find increasingly inhuman because they always put up a facade and don't say anything of consequence.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

oohhboy posted:

So you are walking back on your initial statement?

Actually, yes. Having just double checked the statement I included the word learn when I really just meant change. 'Learn, adapt, change' was an over statement and hyperbole I guess on my part, flowery language to make the post seem more eloquent than it was. Scratch the learn part. The adapt part is basically meaningless as well, change was the only thing I meant in reality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It depends on who's pushing him. Thankfully Bannon and Gorka, the worst puppermasters for him appear to be on the outs. Still, his lack of real will beyond wanting positive attention and knowledge will almost inevitably work out badly in the end, though it's not done any permanent damage yet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given her description she was already annoyed at the neighbour and viewed her as nosy, or at least a nuisance in that instance so further ignorance driving her to be an rear end in a top hat isn't surprising.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've seen way worse pizzas than what that New Zealander made though. John Oliver's making a big deal out of nothing.

I think that was the point. The guy kind of called him out by saying he didn't think he was funny, so John latched on to anything he could find and made a mountain out of a molehill just to have some comedy material. If he's making a big deal about nothing it's that he got overly annoyed at the guy for saying he wasn't funny, but ultimately I imagine that was just another act for the sake of comedy.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The strangest thing about Nixon's legacy is that he was actually a pretty good politician (note: do not confuse this with me saying he was a good person), and probably didn't need to do all the shady poo poo that ultimately cost him the presidency. He was a guy that was compelled to cheat even though he didn't have to.

Nixon is often used as an example of a self-destructive personality, someone who was successful and even deserving of a lot of that success but just couldn't believe he deserved it on a psychological and emotional level so went out of his way to destroy it all in various ways, thus proving he didn't deserve it. I only saw the final 1/3rd of so of the Frost/Nixon film but I really liked that in the finale Frost and Nixon showed a lot of respect for each other and Nixon was actually portrayed quite human and flawed but not a monster in the parts I saw.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was watching the Georgia special election results count and was just wondering if someone more versed in US politics could answer a small query; namely that the election was called at 52/48 with only 81% of the vote apparently counted. Which seems...weird. I'm assuming someone counted the rest of the votes regardless and they didn't counter-act the apparent result, but why was it called so early when the remaining 19% could surely make up a 4 point difference?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a $10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than $10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Orange Devil posted:

gently caress Alex Jones, I hope he has a debilitating aneurysm, suffers profoundly, and then dies.

If we're going to make wishes I'd personally wish he'd get caught in a huge scandal that loses him all credibility with his fanbase, that he then proceeds to waste or otherwise lose all his money somehow and that he spends years in obscurity as a pauper with time to think about all the lovely things he's said and done. I think it's both more humane and more painful for someone who seems to value celebrity and wealth above any kind of morals or ethics. I'd probably wish the situation would make him a better person and that he'd go on after a decade or more in obscurity with no money to give talks for a living on how he'd hosed over people and it wasn't really worth it in the end, making a living by trying to better himself and better educate his old base while donating money to charities helping the people whose lives he smeared or destroyed. Wishing him a painful death is more immediately satisfying on a visceral level, but wishing him life and wisdom seems emotionally satisfying.

Kikkoman posted:

I thought he said it's only found in comics, like it's superpowerful or something.

I thought he said that too, though I figured he meant it was so good it was like something you'd only find in fiction.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I mean if we've learned anything from the past couple of years it's that this is literally not possible.

It's a wish, it's not supposed to be based on realistic possibilities.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Him and Trump are like peas in a really ugly pod. He lost custody entirely I take it?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Lawyers don't help themselves in fairness, since most things are couched in really dull, dry language. Apparently deliberately, to help obfuscate what they're doing and make it easier to keep it somewhat of a skilled professional language a lot of people can't understand; though I admit that's purely on anecdotal evidence and there may be a more simple and blasé reason for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Fortunately, it blows less than a lot of the alternatives. It might not be great, but being less poo poo than others is about the best we have at the moment.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm still disappointed that Trump didn't try to reply to his rap callout, because it would have been pretty fun.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

All the news people having fun with their lovely costumes on air is a symptom of the fact that journalism is dying I guess.

Or that they're all human and happy for any excuse to dress up, act goofy and generally enliven a rote activity like work.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was re-watching some of the main segments on Youtube over the last few days and having re-watched the torture one I have to ask: did Last Week Tonight actually make a full audiobook of the Senate Hearing with Helen Mirren, or did she just record a few excerpts for the bit? I'm not even America, but the subject matter is interesting enough, and Helen Mirren's voice melodious enough that I wouldn't mind grabbing it to listen to at some point if the full thing exists. I can't find anything on a quick Google though, so I suspect it was only ever a few excerpts as much as a full recording would be nice.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ror posted:

Well they definitely aren't going to talk about tolerance, but the instagram's latest post is a sidestep pretty close to that. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgg3bvTBn84/ I wonder who runs the account.

It's possible the daughter Charlotte runs the account and doesn't really care about or even is personally against her father's homophobia, so she's happy about John Oliver's book; though it would imply she's not actively discussing it with her father or trying to change his mind despite the things he's said and done. I'm assuming the proceeds of the Pence book are partially being donated to that conversion therapy crowd John mentioned Pence supported too. I'm probably going to buy the audiobook later today, but I don't want to buy the Kindle edition since no-one I know has a Kindle besides myself and I'd rather give the book to my sister since she has a 2 year old and another kid on the way. That said, if it doesn't start being sold on Amazon outside the US in the next short while I'll probably just buy the Kindle version as a or give a straight donation. I wonder would there be a point asking about it on Twitter or has someone done so already?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Irish perspective: I remember seeing mentions of tax filing on American TV growing up and just thinking it was a fact of life, but never hearing anyone mention it outside that so just assumed it was something that I'd get around to learning or needing to do eventually. I think the first time I came across it was in an episode of the Simpsons, with Homer and Ned being contrasted against each other in their attitudes to it. It was only years later that I realized that for all that I see mentions of tax season and tax filing in TV it's not something I'd ever heard anyone mention. I'm honestly not even entirely certain how it works in Ireland come to it, but the American system seems like a horrific pain and while tax is never nice I certainly can't imagine hating the tax system. The couple of times I've been to a local tax office they've been immensely helpful and I've usually ended up with some kind of rebate a while later because of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DaveWoo posted:

That bit with Neil Degrasse Tyson was goddamn brilliant. Especially with John throwing in “feckless” at the end there.

I'd be happy to see that become a recurring joke. Not John writing something specifically for Tyson in and of itself, but just him writing something for a particular person and then being upset with that person's nitpicks despite their apparent enjoyment. It's a nice little gag, and the first time I can recall him doing something similar. That said, it's probably not the best sign that I'm not even sure what Tyson's problem was again (the day cycle was different than the spin or something?), didn't comprehend it immediately and must go back and check it at some point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Echo Chamber posted:

There's a difference between a planet doing a full 360 degree rotation and rotating until the sun is back over the same spot on the planet.

Out of interest, is there a particular reason (that we know of, at least) why Earths personal and heliotropic spins are so similar compared to other planets or is it just a happy coincidence that we take for granted and assume is good for life because that's why we evolved to fit?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Colonial Air Force posted:

My point was that they're not doing anything Western empires haven't done, but to focus solely on China doing literally those same things is orientalist. If the show was about how terrible capitalism is and here's a recent example, fine. But this was "China is bad!" instead with no mention at all of the exact same things occurring throughout Western history.

You have pretty much every other episode of the show pointing out how America is lovely and has hosed over it's own people and other nations in various ways including corruption, nascent authoritarianism, shushing of opposition views, censorship etc. for that though. There's hardly a need for John to point out that Western nations do these things too in that particular piece, when John points out those things about America (and other nations to a lesser degree) all the time. It's also possible that he wanted to get through one main topic without going "America does this poo poo" or "America does this poo poo too". Look at how happy he was to be able to say America didn't cause the hosed up situation in Venezuela only a few weeks ago.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
And then Britain will save America's rear end because they need some kind of trading partner and Europe is out, so the Simpsons will have jokingly predicted one more thing that somehow turned out to come true despite how ridiculous it was supposed to be.

• Locked thread