Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

hcreight posted:

I love how this show is unafraid to dive into bullshit no one is talking about.

It's really refreshing. I had heard nothing about the Cuba embargo renewal and, while I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call this investigative journalism, it's really nice to see someone calling out bullshit that would otherwise go unmentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Echo Chamber posted:

If the goal of that lottery bit was to get me to stop playing; I guess I'll admit it isn't working.

I know the odds and the prizes don't match up. It's heavily stacked against the favor of players. It's pretty much a money vacuum. But I romanticize the idea of a golden ticket and I already know I'm not going to be the next Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg. I never justified it with education. I'm willing to suffer the misery of losing a few bucks a week over the lotto for the impossible chance of living the misery of a lottery winner.

And that's fine if your a rational person with room in the budget to spend on a lottery ticket. But most lottery players aren't like you. They are largely poor people who really don't have the money to spare and/or gambling addicts.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That nearly 50% joke about the state lotteries was genius.

Agreed. That really made me laugh.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Toxxupation posted:

The infrastructure bit was important but ironically landed really poorly because John did the "and if you know anything about x then (pop culture reference)" joke like five times too many

Agreed. Also the "[absurd statement], that's a fact, that's a fact" joke is wearing thin.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Don't forget that even for the "free" voter IDs you can get the documentation you have to get to prove your identity for one is often not free, takes a lot of time to prepare, and often times requires... an ID.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Veskit posted:

You're not being honest. Lawyers would go to school, rack up all the debt they possibly could then file bankruptcy and discharge 300k in loans. After that just pay in cash for 7 years and you're g2g.

Except that virtually every state bar association would consider that an instance of bad moral character and use it as a reason to deny admission and make that law degree practically useless.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The ending of tonight's episode was amazing.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The rundown of the line of succession for the Presidency during the main segment was pretty depressing. How did the US end up with a system where if the election is essentially stolen, the people who stole it basically still get to hold on to it by dumping a few people at the top? In Canada or the UK, if poo poo like this happened, they have another election.

I mean I guess midterms come in 2018 which can shake up congress, but considering the amount of damage they've done in just 4 months, it kind of seems a bit more urgent than that.

I'm rooting for the timeline where impeachment of Trump & Pence happens just before the midterms, the dems take over, and after confirmation in the Senate we get President Pelosi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

WampaLord posted:

gently caress Nancy Pelosi and every other old guard Dem.

How come I never hear a Dem say "let's fix Social Security forever by eliminating the tax cap?"

because Very Serious People know that's too radical a solution, despite being a perfect one. Literally everyone in my generation thinks we're not going to have access to SS, but we could, easily. God, it's all so frustrating.

Yeah its a shame we never hear any party insiders like President Obama endorsing expanding social security by raising the payroll tax cap.

e: Thats not to say that Dems haven't sucked at times because they definitely have. But all the hand-wringing over Dems not being perfect leftist angels is stupid when the other side is being actively evil.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 5, 2017

• Locked thread