Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem I have with that Michael Moore speech is that he didn't acknowledge that the problem that the Trump voters have are partly of their own making by repeatedly voting Republicans which were against their own interest as they are voting against themselves now by voting Trump. They keep repeatedly falling for the wedge issues like Abortion and Gun control ignoring or actively fighting against things that would benefit them like Universal Healthcare, inequality, progressive taxation or police reform.

Trump is a monster of the GOP's own making based on the Tea parties that they help form in order to boost their base. Now they are so right wing they are Fascist.

The democrats aren't perfect, but from the outside looking in I don't see why anybody would think voting Republican at any time was a good idea for the past 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

Moore is like the Uwe Boll of political movies

Speaking of Uwe Boll, he is retiring from film Making.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-infamous-video-game-movie-director-uwe-boll-retires-from-filmmaking

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trevor likely has greater appeal to people outside of America as he is not just another white person. I don't think anyone can't match Stewart's incredibly high bar it was always going to be an extremely tough act to follow. But his outsider status allows him to do things Stewart couldn't and to a greater extent than John Oliver. Trevor goes right to the line every time he pulls an Africa joke, it makes me laugh as it is funny and I like watching you guys squirm every time.

Definitely not a fan of Bee though, she is trying way to hard and it has stripped her into product.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This will happen when they realize they can't get free 'beetus medications anymore, and Medicare won't cover their replacement HoverRound and portable oxygen generator.

I read Trump's 100 Days check sheet and hahaahaha you Rust Belt fuckers are so hosed. Enjoy dying from treatable illness. Those jobs aren't coming back. Just try to sell all that unpicked rotten fruit. Keep that Red Hat to throw up in from the poison that is going to taint the land. Great job.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Our political commentator here said that that a lot of the Trump voters were "Normal" people but forgot to mention ignorance being the "Normal" state. One statement that stood out was "The messenger isn't perfect but the message is". What an absurd statement to make. makes my head hurt trying to think like that. gently caress these people, go get angry.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sander's message is great, if you "Think" about. But it doesn't sound bite unless you are like Obama and spam "Hope". Also could have adopted more of Sanders platform or brought him in as VP. Hillary's ability to get it done matched with the fire of Sanders. If Sanders could work with her, so can you. It would have stopped the massive amount of friendly fire and help bring in the mistaken third party voters which were through the roof this year.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Take it easy and have a little bit more faith in John. I am sure he has a hit list to work through and going after Putin is a valid target on the list.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's tons of zebra videos appearing on youtube now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3eJah-cEU
:perfect:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tsob posted:

The more I learn about Trump, the more human he seems to be honest. A deeply flawed, lovely human who really shouldn't be president but a human all the same. Conversely, the more I learn about Ivanka and Jared the less human, or at least humane they seem. The two of them seem almost like parasites circling Trump, and feeding off his (not particularly earned) success. At least Trump seems willing to learn, adapt and change dependent on circumstance. He'll never admit blame and still does awful things, but it's something. Ivanka and Jared put up a nice facade, but a facade is all it ever appears to be and the complete opaqueness of their actions makes it hard to discern anything human about them. I know they're as much a product of their environment as Trump, but Trump is so forthright and honest in his dickishness that it's easy to see him as human, where I don't really think that's true of the other two.

When has this ever happened? Had he learned anything he wouldn't keep tanking his popularity or sticking himself in between a hard place and a rock. Every time he walks back has been because everyone and their mother have screamed bloody murder as to how utterly bad his idea is.

The only thing he has learned is to waste peoples time better, piss off even more people and be more openly corrupt.

Trevor Noah will do fine as his improv is actually way better than his scripted segments if you ever was the behind the scenes videos. Colbert is not bad at improv either and his material isn't as deep as Oliver. Oliver is the one who will struggle the most as he leans on the staff more than anyone else.

Oliver's team have probably have some second string segments in a cabinet.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's not learning. If he was interested in learning anything you would think he would at least try to find out how his part of government works rather than blast the first thing that skips off his membrane on twitter or an EO. He should be getting better at his job over time, not worse.

He keeps walking back on everything because everyone else is dragging him back and manipulating him. The guy barely thinks let alone learn. He could have avoided every single walk back if he had just asked people whether it was a good idea, but he never does since he isn't interested in learning.

There is no point humanising Trump, he doesn't deserve it. He doesn't give a poo poo about you and his entire history is about loving people over. gently caress him.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tsob posted:

I never said it was. Changing your mind about something is not synonymous with learning something. Nor is learning information synonymous with learning a lesson. I'm not humanising Trump to try and make him appear better, he's becoming more human looking over time to me despite himself and I'm making no effort to do it. The man that emerges is terrible; he's a sad, small man desperate for attention and adulation with no sense of responsibility among many other faults, but he's still more human and more so than his daughter or her husband, who I find increasingly inhuman because they always put up a facade and don't say anything of consequence.

So you are walking back on your initial statement?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fair enough.

It is rather disturbing everybody has to get on his case to make these "Changes". It might be preferable is someone straight up puppet him or push him around like a weekend at Bernie's.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EasyEW posted:

I hate to say it, but this is a point worth making. Pai was on the Commission during the last Net Neutrality go-round, and when the ruling came down, he wrote a 67 page dissent. Even in a best-case scenario, this is going to be an uphill slog.

Does that contain anything of merit or is it complete garbage meant to throw mud into the water?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regardless of what messed up point of view or irrelevant anecdotes, everyone must support Net Neutrality, period.

It is the bedrock idea that the Internet is built on.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would violate NN. All traffic must be treated equally.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Dear loving god no.

Why do a lot of people reflexly think this is bad?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am pretty sure the big tent thing is gone for the time being. The centre has failed and the left is out for blood. Unless you're a Republican there is no way you are going to miss the message of what the electorate wants and needs.

Obama flaw that he refused to acknowledge was trying to work with the republicans is worse than wasted effort.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Resurrected Teddy Roosevelt for president.

What about Eisenhower for lols? The man has an R next to his name.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this a running message or a one off gaff? If she has switched her tune and has been consistent in her messaging away from that position, I don't see the point for crucifying her over it.

Anything is better than the GOP death cult.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

I think wishing for a politician's death is a lot screwed up. It was weird as hell for people to fantasize about it with Obama and it's weird as hell to do it with Trump

Not really, *sort of*. It is a natural response to being attacked.

Unlike Obama the reasons are valid as Trump is loving everyone over. It's the wishes not based on reality that are hosed up ie; Obama being a secret Kenyan Muslim out to take all your guns. The people getting drone strike have a more a say than any American on wishing death on Obama.

King Vidiot posted:

Fine, democrats aren't nearly as bad as republicans, but they're still not good enough. They're bad, just not "as bad as".

Can we at least acknowledge that or should we just shut down anybody who even tries to suggest there's something wrong with the democratic party, as it is right now?

They are good enough when they are your only realistic choice in the system you have. How hard is this for all the hand wriggling people to understand? Not voting for Democrat means one more vote in favour of the Republicans. The democrats are not perfect but they represent you far, far better than any Republican.

If you want to change policy, write letters, attend meetings and if you have the resources, run for office under their flag so you can change things from the inside.

So yes I am strongly in favour of shutting people down at this time as it is self defeating especially in a political civil war.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

This mentality leads to things like Hillary running again. We should be demanding better Democrats, not simply giving them our vote because of lesser of two evilism.

That is what the primaries and the lower level elections are for. Bernie didn't win, that is unfortunate but now you get behind the person that is is up there. The votes for Bernie didn't go to waste as it pulled Hillary's position tot he left. How is that not an improvement?

Be demanding yes, but you are at war, they need that vote and if you don't vote you don't count.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

I used to think this way too, but the 2016 election was a hell of a wake up call. The system is broken and keeps giving us politicians too willing to sell out our goals for nothing. I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done but simply trying to primary out the corporate types isn't possible, they have too much money/influence.

You have to work with what you have not what you wish. You broke your own brain.

If you don't want to vote anymore fine, but don't try to spread that poo poo on everyone else.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

For the record, I am not encouraging not voting, but if you promise that you'll vote D forever, then no one will care about your demands.

Gee, not voting D made things better.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Propaganda Machine posted:

I hope you enjoyed your first time being glib on the internet.

Thanks for the welcome!

Remember who gave you ACA(Shame for missing single payer by one rear end in a top hat, my condolences)? Remember who pulled you out of the economy crashing and bringing back to some semblance of health? Who have been making it easier for immigrants? Who is not proposing tax breaks to the rich or not paying their fair share by giving tax holidays? LGBT community? Who raised USA's standing in the world? Helped wildlife. Net neutrality.

Look at what they have helped achieved instead of looking to punish(Very American) them for every slight transgression which has resulted them moving to the centre. Give them the carrot, the carrot you didn't give them in 2016 when they moved left from Bernie's effort. You have to turn out for them for them to turn out to you.

Then compare it to the party who is actively trying to kill everyone. Big choice.

Remember who blocked all those changes you wanted. It wasn't your own side.

Yeah some guys are gently caress ups and they need to go but you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

To boil it down : Win first then figure out what to do with the winnings.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

and the notion that democrats are some kind of civil rights heroes is entirely laughable. The two parties ARE exactly the same. Republicans just don't bother hiding their disdain for the poor, the black, and the trans

So which party is trying to kill everyone while screaming gently caress YOU?

No vote is a vote for the enemies. It's mathematics.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

I don't think the rationale was good then and it isn't good now.

Don't tell me you have never wished death upon someone who have wronged you as that would be a lie.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

Sure, I have and everyone does but most people don't sit there endlessly fantasizing about it because it is extremely weird to dwell on murderous thoughts.

Cough.

coyo7e posted:

I've never actively wished for the death of my president before.. Is this what people felt like with Obama? Except for their entire premise being "a black man is President" of course, rather than a corrupt, incompetent, and possibly mentally ill white dude.

You read "Wish death upon" and forgot about the rest. Yes he is really dwelling on it I swear!

gently caress Donald, him wreaking the country is a pretty good reason.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vodos posted:

Obama pushed to kill the public option (which was only talked about to placate actual liberals) and single player was never, ever on the table. The Dem leadership would rather eat a plate of actual poo poo than come out in favor of single payer.
I can't recall the exact figures but they are ridiculous, something like 98% of the income gains during the "recovery" went to to the top 10% of earners. Many of the millions of new jobs are pure poo poo with no benefits or part time or some other horseshit that exploits people.
Guess who made the ridiculous Bush tax cuts PERMANENT?
LGBT are better off, ok.
Gets peace prize, starts bombing and sending special forces to 5 more countries on top of the 2 wars you already had.

Obama was the best Republican president of the last decades, I'll grant you that.

I will give you that. The US is crazy right compared where it use to be or any on scale. Make no mistake your centre is to the right. Nixon would be called a leftist pig or their Golden Boy Reagan wouldn't be far enough for Republicans.

In a different time Obama would have been a Republican given the policies he implemented. I do think however he was naive as to his dealings with the Republicans and that was his undoing as he expected good faith and it never came.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

See your points are fair, sure, but it's your perspective. Trump is evil, Obama shining beacon, etc. Some folks think the opposite. I know you're not a crazy idiot and the other guy thinks I'm really trying to call you out but I'm just saying like it is weird to wish ill on people. It's not a very productive thing for people to do. I think you might be inflating a guy that is inarguably a jackass to being something way more.

As for Kathy Griffith I dunno what the hell she was thinking. It's hilarious this exploding in her face because while people do not like Trump they don't take pictures holding a mockup of his severed head covered in blood because like I said, people are generally pretty reasonable!

You did call him out. You are calling him out right now.

He is the President of the US of A, you can't inflate him more than that.

Kathy Griffith should have stuck to it. It was her deplorable moment and she flinched.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

I don't think Trump is the literal embodiment of evil, a blight on humanity that has plagued us since time immemorial. Stupid yes, potentially dangerous given position of power yes, darkness incarnate no, herald of the apocalypse, no, the last president because we're all gonna die no. He's a jackass, and if things go the way they are with the Russian thing he might be gone sooner!

You are way pass "potentially dangerous". He has managed to turn everyone including the allies against him and by extension the US with one announcement. They are talking about banning Trump from the UK again. Europe has gone gently caress you rear end in a top hat. He has lit the fuse on the few stable countries in the middle east that contain your own HQ in it. That's just the big stuff from the past week. If you want more here is a link:

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/

If anything you are understating the damage he has already done and will do.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I hadn't even seen the picture until after I'd heard about all the controversy and I was underwhelmed. Is that really what people got so upset about? It was like a paper maché head covered in red paint. From the way people were describing it I thought it would be something like the severed head from Tropic Thunder.

That would have been much cooler. Maybe she should have added a pike for added flavour. I was disappointed too.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of Bush's administration BS got sweep under 9/11 as it was cover for just about everything they did. What they were doing was obviously evil but as you said they buttered it up good.

Post 9/11 the world gave them one free shot and they blew it by going into Iraq. If they just stuck to Afghanistan I believe that America would have had pulled out a win.

But nope. Osama won big.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The verbal ticks are still there and he is still an rear end in a top hat, so not much has changed. He was just better at hiding it back then.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mate, a vote is a vote. Don't disenfranchise yourself needlessly just because you are "Guaranteed" to win.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just because some hick in the middle of bumfuck nowhere has a stronger vote doesn't mean you don't vote. You vote all the same.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That vote isn't wasted. Look how much a bitch Donald is about it. He is till sore about it and I don't think he will ever let it go. that is worth something.

Even if you are in a deep red state you vote as you never know if this is an election that flips the state even if it is for one election cycle. Never assume even in a deep blue state. That's another reason why a non-vote supports the other side.

As for the system I am sorry that is what you have and that is what you have to work with. Depressing everyone around you and going nothing matters is the worse thing you can do.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IRQ posted:

If that's not what it's about then people should stop trying to say that it is. There are plenty of GOOD reasons to vote. Saying not voting is a vote for trump is just as disingenuous as saying both sides are equally bad.

If you haven't noticed Republicans vote for R just to win. The left/centre keeps dunking themselves finding that GOOD reason when it is quite obvious as to what they need to do.

quote:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

-Edmund Burke

This is the context as to why I see a non-vote as a vote for your enemies. Right now you don't have the luxury of not voting. There is no sideline.

This also. Never assume ever your vote is worthless while you have the opportunity to vote, it matters.

pwn posted:

No, it isn't. Voting contributes a vote to a candidate. Liking a post about a starving Somalian orphan doesn't help them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quit blaming Hillary and blame yourself.

It was just as obvious then as to what the other side represented as it is now. Rs voted just to win then as those people continue to do even now. You are dunking yourself and others even now as you try to excuse not voting. You are perpetuating voter suppression by telling their vote doesn't matter when it drat well does no matter where you are.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IRQ posted:

But it doesn't, that's just a fact. That doesn't mean you shouldn't vote. Have you considered reading the thread?

And yes I did hold my nose and vote for Hillary fwiw. Millions of people more than did for Trump doing that doesn't absolve her of being a terrible candidate and running a terrible campaign.

Make up your mind. You have voted but you have spent most of this discussion saying your vote doesn't matter which quite frankly is worse than not voting.

So what is it? Does voting matter or not?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IRQ posted:

That depends on where you live and what your politics are,, but you still should vote even if it doesn't matter. The further down the ticket the more it matters. Yes, you may be a socialist in Alabama, but you should still stand and be counted, just know that it doesn't matter. Does this make it sound futile and pointless? Yeah, because a lot of the time it is, our system is hosed up and broken.

Which I think is a lot more honest than trying to wrap it up in bullshit like "not voting is a vote for trump."

Garbage. You tell people to vote telling then it doesn't matter. It matters not matter where you live. You are suppressing your own vote for no drat reason. Who is it to say you will lose? If you don't vote you don't know. You have to play to win.

Just because you have chosen glass half empty doesn't mean you should or have any right to spread it. You might as well work for Trump.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IRQ posted:

:lol:

e: I just hope that you appreciate the irony of using a lottery slogan when trying to say voting always matters.

So? You can't win if you don't vote. Voting always matters.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Here's the way I see it:

As a citizen, you should always utilize your vote, even if you're not obligated to do so.

But as a candidate, you should not expect people to vote if you don't give them something to vote for, because they're not obligated to do so.

I've found that a lot of people have trouble processing that second bit.

I see a caveat regarding the second statement that require a third statement.

A citizen should vote for what is best and rational for the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

“They did this to a man who needs a lung transplant, a man who does not expect to live to see the end of this case,” reads the complaint, which also lists Murray’s companies as plaintiffs.

I hope he drowns from the fluids in his lungs.

• Locked thread