Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Premieres Sunday April 27 at 11pm on HBO. Trailer

John Oliver got national attention when he guest-hosted The Daily Show last summer, including a memorable episode shot during a blackout. He was a beloved and long-running correspondent on TDS, but you might also know him as Jeff Winger's professor buddy on Community, as the host of John Oliver's New York Stand Up Show, or, far more importantly, as the stalwart source of fully fifty percent of the bicoastal bullshit on The Bugle, a very funny podcast with Andy Zaltzman that's probably your best preview of what John Oliver's sense of humor is like apart from The Daily Show.

quote:

How different is the format of Last Week Tonight than The Daily Show? via Splitsider

Tim Carvell (showrunner): We're working that out. The recognizable part of it will be talking about the news through the use of clips and interviews. We're trying to find the best ways to tailor to Oliver's sensibilities and to make the best use of the differences in format and time. One thing we realized early on was we have a half an hour without commercials, and that's a long time to hear anyone talk to you, so we got on the idea pretty early of having these superstitial segments that are going to serve as the show's "commercial break" so that the show is broken up, and at least for a little while you get some respite from John's voice. [laughs] We talk about it that way, and really — it's a lovely voice, we just want to take little breaks from it. So that is one of the things that will be distinct from The Daily Show; where they'd go to a commercial break we would go to a produced comedy piece.

Who else is on the show?
Unlike TDS, Last Week Tonight will not have correspondents, but it will have guests in the typical newsmagazine vein, experts in whatever John is talking about that night. The show isn't planning to be a part of the celebrity project promo circuit, but I imagine there will be exceptions. There's a largeish writing staff too, so it's entirely possible they'll pop up in the produced pieces or walk-on gags the way Totally Biased did.

I don't have HBO so...
Sorry friend, you are poo poo out of luck. The show has its own site with clips, and there's the usual social media presence, but a format like this is unlikely to support a DVD release so subscribing to HBO or sharing someone's HBO Go password are pretty much your only legal options. Non-Americans know the drill.

Pictured: The Drill

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Did John get possessed by Satan recently?

Do you think TV hosting gigs just grow on trees?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Relentlessboredomm posted:

When does this go up on HBOGO and why is there more of a delay on this than freaking Game of Thrones?

Tomorrow and nerds.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

When tomorrow? Is it up a full 24hrs after it starts or will be up around noon. I seriously can't find this info anywhere. HBO is terrible about posting the schedule of how/when shows make it to HBOGO.

I dunno man, check tomorrow. Or do the thing you know can be done and live a life unburdened by desire.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a tragedy John didn't get this show before the end of Silvio Berlusconi's reign. Excuse me, Burlesquepony.

Actually thinking about all my favorite Bugle bits (the letter from the soldier invading Iowa at The Bugle's bidding is the best one, yes even though John & Andy didn't write it) it's a real shame HBO didn't just adapt The Bugle into a TV Show. Stick a webcam in Andy's shed, the graininess will be part of the charm.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It basically feels like a team of people who watched TDS over last summer and just thought 'yeah, we can just remake this'. I don't know how much talk behind the scenes there was with regards to Letterman moving and Stephen replacing him, but right now it seems like the alternative could've been Oliver taking over TCR and we'd have him doing the same thing 4 days a week. That, to me, is sadly better than what we have now.

Obviously just the first show, but I was expecting more than just a network change when you have the might of HBO behind you.

Colbert intentionally timed his contract end dates to coincide with Letterman's. It was always known he'd make a bid for the spot the minute Letterman retired, but of course nobody knew if he'd get it. Considering how long it takes to get a new show together and the uncertainty of every factor, it was probably just too risky to make plans around IF Letterman retires this year and IF Colbert gets his spot, stick around and we'll give you 11:30.

Plus Oliver honestly might not want a 4x/week show (quadweekly?). Unlike Stewart and Colbert he's still an active standup and actor, and with that schedule he doesn't have time to record a half-hour podcast regularly as it is. The weekly format also frees him from the expectation that he'll keep mentioning a single story for as long as it's in the news - I'd be surprised if LWT mentions Sterling again this Sunday even though there's still a lot of press about it. TDS and Colbert can kind of run together day-to-day because they're stuck in a more incremental news cycle, but Oliver has an entire week to pick two or three main topics from, so each episode is going to feel a lot more distinct.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

They should offer Colbert's slot to Wyatt Cenac!

I have no idea what kind of show Cenac would even do, so that actually sounds really exciting.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I would really like any employer who treats me the way John Stewart treats Oliver. It makes me love him more that he's so gracious and helpful about getting his people their own gigs. The Daily Show has produced some big names now and I have no doubt a lot of that is due to Stewart.

TDS has the perfect format for launching careers, because correspondents can get a lot of airtime, their name is almost always said by Jon/printed onscreen every time they appear, yet the show isn't so dependent on any one correspondent that there's ill will when they move on.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If they focus on the stories that should get reported on but are being ignored I'll be happy.

That's a great way to distinguish the show from The Daily Show too, since for the most part TDS is a commentary on how the stories that are reported on are covered.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm just not finding the same caché with:

Last Week Tonight: A Visual Newspaper for a Visual World!

Maybe it'll make more sense once they figure out what section to throw straight into the bin.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

Again, piracy stream sites manage to tape the shows in HD and upload them ready for viewing in their entirety within ~3 minutes of the show finishing. There is absolutely no way that a professional organisation who actually has access to the show before it even begins airing couldn't do the same. It obviously is a conscious choice.

You are embarrassing yourself. Just as a rule of thumb, rank the reports of people who actually do the thing higher than how you imagine the thing probably works.

Also torrenters are happy to work in the middle of the night for free, but employees of media companies require overtime pay for that kind of thing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

Again, piracy stream sites manage to tape the shows in HD and upload them ready for viewing in their entirety within ~3 minutes of the show finishing. There is absolutely no way that a professional organisation who actually has access to the show before it even begins airing couldn't do the same. It obviously is a conscious choice.

Another thing - pirates create torrents from the feeds they get off cable. You know, the feeds that have already been processed and error-checked by the HBO employees you're mad at. No poo poo doing half the job takes less time than doing all the job.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Yup, nobody works at all when the show is airing at night. It's all just crickets in the control rooms.

What possible benefit are you getting from acting like such a moron?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

You're all arguing that an enormous professional organisation somehow can't do something that pirates have been doing for years. Like, this is not an impossible thing. It's clearly doable. As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of the argument. If a dude in his mom's basement is able to get HD streams up minutes after a show finishes airing, then so too should the organisation that airs the show be able to do likewise (with minimal effort given that they have more resources than the aforementioned basement dweller). Not doing so is a choice, they want more people to watch the TV stream for whatever reason.

You're arguing from a point of total ignorance about how enormous professional organizations operate. You've already ignored everything we've pointed out - network-level encoding is more involved than torrent encoding, they error-check their streams, they have more than one stream, the work is done by specific people whose labor costs money, and those people tend to want to work during normal business hours. You have the perspective of a child and that's your right I guess but you're committing yourself to getting this mad every single week and that seems like a big investment when the only payoff is letting everyone know how impervious your brain is to learning facts.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
^^ Like I said, sweet pea, poo poo you imagine doesn't outrank actual reality.

Irish Joe posted:

You need to stop saying this as if it were true. The work gets done when it needs to get done. Arguing that HBO--a multi-billion dollar company--can't afford to pay someone to come in on a Sunday is retarded.

Oh hey look it's Irish Joe here to be the dumbest motherfucker in the thread again. poo poo son you were almost late.

If none of you can figure out how corporations have different operational processes than basement nerds then that's just too loving bad for you. Everyone reading your righteous indignation who knows anything about television production is just laughing at you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing is massacres are, I would hope, not a two-sided issue like the death penalty is. I'm very strongly anti-death-penalty myself but other people are just as strongly pro, which is why Oliver played up how apprehensive he was of even mentioning it - it's a subject that starts virulent arguments. If someone's writing in to LWT outraged at the lack of support for their pro-Indian-Massacre stance I certainly don't want to meet them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Haha. I wonder what animal we'll see being cute next time he wants to try to talk about something serious. Maybe he'll stick to similar and show a hamster being served a spaghetti meal.

Rape Victim Blaming

Republican Presidential Nominee Debates

How are all these rodents able to afford personal chefs when good honest Americans are barely keeping their handguns fed?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As tacky as the comparison might seem, recent movement on the issues of gay marriage and marijuana legalization are good models for how the disempowered voting public could enact change here. Change people's opinions on the personal level, particularly young people, and then wait a generation or two. Television is actually probably the most powerful tool for this task. Nothing defines social norms like television.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thehustler posted:

The Bugle are taking 3 months off :(

Seems a good time as any to post this archive of pre-Soundcloud Bugle episodes. 180+ episodes some of you may never have heard! Hear the origin of The Bugle's fascination with Burlusconi, marvel at a cameo by Andy's kids in an anniversary episode, and meet the mysterious, long-cancelled character known only as The American.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I think Last Week Tonight just has a broader scope, although maybe in ten years it'll have narrowed. It has to help that Oliver's been doing basically this exact thing on The Bugle for what, five years I think? And The Department before that. He might have been doing Comedy News longer than Stewart, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

Stewart's been at it since 1998. I highly doubt it.

Dude I did say "might," at ease there.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It helps that John Oliver isn't just repeating all the latest news stories with a comedic spin, he focuses more on things.

I kind of miss the days of the daily show when they would occasionally bring up some goofy story from a small town somewhere about how they're trying to make a robot to tase hobos or something.

Yeah I liked that story about the dumb town in one of the Carolinas iirc (please hold for JT Jag's irate specification of which Carolina) where the law was every drink at a bar had to be made with airline bottles. It's silly and stupid and mocking it on television might have spurred people to change the law, but it isn't this stomach-churning intractable evil thing like so much of what TDS now covers in its reporter at large segments.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 27, 2014

• Locked thread