Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sesame Street was awesome, though I wish he could spend more time on the UK ripping Hameron and the Tories a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean if the UK adopted the Euro of course they should leave. But they haven't. They seem to be reaping all of the benefits with none of the sacrifice.

Just out of curiosity, does Sweden have the same sort of anti-EU forces going on on the political stage there as well, since their situation is similar? Like iirc they kept the kronor instead of the Euro?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

bull3964 posted:

What could he have said about the fires or floods that would have been investigative in nature?

That last segment was inspired.

I agree that that last segment was epic. Also, Will Arnett was like the perfect choice for the voiceover, holy poo poo.

I'm a bit bummed now though since he's on vacay for a month. Between that and TNS getting cancelled, I'm pretty sad.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I wish he had spent more time on Trump than Hillary.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I have to say that bit with the class just absolutely broke my heart.

Like, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. When I was in high school in APUS Govt, one of the kids in my class's dad was some big guy in the ACLU for my region and he came and gave this talk to a group of mostly Asian, Jewish, and white kids about our rights and what to do when pulled over (cause that's ultimately what matters to commuting teenagers) but it was never something we all really had to digest and take as a life or death thing.

And to see all those black kids that were just so young have to learn this poo poo and they were all so dead serious, I mean, I just fell my stomach fall to my feet.

What a great segment that was though.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I loved those commercials

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dragonrah posted:

Ya'll better vote Mike.

Mike is the People's Lobster.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

precision posted:

Legalized suicide for terminally ill or depressed people would be a net positive for the world. It frightens the hell out of me that one day I might have to actually shoot myself in the head to "die with dignity".

Terminally ill people yes, depressed people, absolutely not, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Speaking as somebody who's attempted suicide and subsequently survived, and got treatment for undiagnosed depression and anxiety, we can loving treat depression.

What the actual gently caress?!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

precision posted:

We can trade anecdotes all day (I also have had Stuff Happen) but at the end of the day I do think that it is legitimately possible to want to end your life for reasons other than physical pain and discomfort. People with terminal cancer can just pop Oxycodone all day, but what if they don't want to?

Dignity in death is a totally different issue from clinical depression and conflating the two is actively harmful.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a right to die state, and I think people with terminal diseases absolutely have the right to choose a dignified end.

This is a totally dissimilar issue from whether people with clinical depression, what the gently caress?!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Gyges posted:

Pinchers von Shellington III is the only choice that properly conveys the degree to which the elites are sticking it to Molly.

That's a strange way to spell Mike. When will Pinchers release his tax returns? When, I ask you?!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Woden posted:

He should just ignore the votes and put a turd on the dog court.

But what if one of the doggie ate it? :ohdear:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Servaetes posted:

Again though I'm just wanting to know what atrocities, or backwards terrible poo poo the Dalai Llama has done that could contrast to my understanding of what communist China has done to its people and neighboring regions. I know communist China has done some incredibly horrible poo poo. Not do much the Dalai Llama who, from my observation is the Buddhist pope but I don't hear anything about his actions.

If he basically gives a "well people are gonna do what they're gonna do" it's not as good as condemning things done in his name, I agree. If that's it, it's not on par with a government that does Extremely Bad Things to its people and neighbors. I just wanna know what's bad about the guy, if there is somethin.

E: also I'm not insinuating the dude is infallible, because just like the pope or anyone else he's still a human being, just want to know what the gray is

Comparing him to the Buddhist pope is pretty disrespectful. He's the reincarnation of Avalokitesvara (you might know as Guanyin, or Kannon) the bodhisattva of compassion.

Now it's not that this Dalai Lama is bad since he really didn't have that much time as head of the Ganden Phodrang; however, it's more things like this

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Then there's the fact that the Tibet he wants to go back to wasn't exactly a bastion of human dignity for all and all either. Now, this is a talk for far later, mainly after the whole 'get the occupying country out of us' thing, but he does like to call back to the old, enlightened, Tibet when a lot of the peasants and all would maybe disagree with their spiritual king-thing on how enlightened it was.

Still, like I said I think it's very valid to say 'he's not a perfect man and maybe has some issues of his own, but the people currently occupying Tibet are a much more oppressive force'.

The other important thing you're doing wrong, servaetes, is attributing a lot of evil to communist China, when there's a pretty rich history of attempting to on and off incorporate Tibet into the Chinese empire dating back to the Yuan dynasty. Though granted, the current "communist" (they're not really communist, haven't been since arguably DXP) regime has a lot to answer for in terms of the atrocities perpetuated since the fifties.

All empires are oppressive, dog.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What is the situation with the people of Tibet themselves? Are there people there that actually want to stay as part of China? In my head I sort of compare the China/Tibet situation to the UK/Ireland one, and what makes the issue of Northern Ireland so tricky is that there is a fairly significant population of English protestants living there that don't want to leave the UK (well, didn't. Who knows what will happen when they pull the trigger on Brexit). Is there any comparable Chinese national minority in Tibet?

One of the things that started happening during the mid-Qing period was exile of Han Chinese minor offenders into Xinjiang to help incorporate the territory (lit. new frontier) so, it's a common technique of empires.

Similarly, Han who have moved to Tibet post the seizure of Tibet are recent migrants and it is the Dalai Lama's contention that the building of the Qingzang railway into Tibet was a means for the PRC to swamp Tibet with migrants; however, only about 8% of Tibet is Han and has Tibetan hukou. That being said, hukou does not account for the Han who basically live in Tibet and maintain residency status elsewhere. For reference, Xinjiang is in much direr straits, being about 40% Han.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Servaetes posted:

To be honest I just kinda figured he was the supreme leader of Buddhism (or at least the region) given folks do stuff in his name, hold him sacred, etc. And nah, most of that stuff soars overhead. I took a few religion classes in college but it was a lot of overviews. Bodhisattva is a good song though

But yeah, I know there's good and bad to anything. I don't think this iteration of the Llama compares though.

Well, Ganden Tripa nominally is the head of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism, but historically the power has rested in the hands of Dalai Lama.

But also, there's other Buddhism besides Tibetan Buddhism, you've got your Mahayana-Chan, Seon, Zen, etc-your Theravada-iirc derogatorily referred to as 'Hinayana,' Thai Forest, Sri Lankan Buddhism (the longest continuous Buddhist tradition incidentally), etc-and your Vajrayana-Tibetan Buddhism, Shingon, the Tang Mysteries/Chinese esoteric school, etc.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dog pizza best pizza.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

basic hitler posted:

you don't get to just downplay the fact the dems are no longer representing the majority of its constituent voter's beliefs and expectations. They're behaving just as evilly, you just give them a pass because you imagine they're doing something, or anything, useful, but they just tried to force a former goldwater girl on the labor-left and got torn the gently caress up for it. They're not doing anybody anything useful and most of the senior leadership need to be challenged and beaten by stronger leftists smart enough to borrow the democrat moniker

excellent username/post combo

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

IRQ posted:

That stuff about not voting = a vote for Trump only works if you live in a swing state.

nice job fuckin the downballot

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

lmao that change to the train

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/937872292129931265?s=17

#feminism

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

seth meyers is significantly better than colbert wrt the late night comedy shtick

• Locked thread