Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No new episode tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat did he cut the season short this early last year?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah, Trump getting elected broke Colbert's brain bad. I'm going to draw some ire for this but I feel it's true anyway but Donald Trump was a net negative for comedy. You cannot possibly go a single loving show without him being mentioned and it's frankly exhausting. That might be why I rate Oliver above Bee and Bee above the others because they at least do some segments that either don't revolve around the man or only relate to him tangentially.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hate Noah all you want cuz I could understand it even if I don't agree entirely. But Jon Stew was only OK as a comedian anyway. Of the three the real talent was Colbert in the comedy column.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dante80 posted:

How? This is essentially slavery, especially the repayment of monies you have already worked for. How can this stand in court?

Get an F for class participation because god drat you slept through the semester bud

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a strange place man. JO (lol) isn't feigning shock half the loving time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Alhazred posted:

I wonder if Oliver got in a bidding war over the leather thong or if his first bid was 7000 dollar.

I'm struggling to imagine which I would find funnier. It's baffling that the guy is so hated because he's the best of the former DS alumni (Sam Bee is a solid second) but god drat does he catch poo poo on these forums.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Institutional inertia is a hell of a thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Clamknuckle posted:

His almost whispered "Did you get attacked?" when his cohost said there was a shark sighted at the beach he was at killed me.

The party of bravery

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some shark researcher had an ask tell years ago and apparently they're very bright for fish actually.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ugh, I love the show but this topic's so disheartening

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, the program ended up saving Florida negative dollars.

At least one other state has tried to "fix" this policy by forcing the people getting tested to pay for the test. Maybe it was Arizona? I never read how that ended up working out.

The florida of the Southwest!

That's a pretty good slogan for the people who choose to move there, honestly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Couldn't decide which portion was more depressing this week.

pwn posted:

I liked the stealth Olson Twins callback in the FB ad.

This was the highlight though :) Surprised it got such a reserved reaction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah this place is straight hosed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

While things are deeply hosed, I think term limits for Senators is the first breath of air in the CPR routine that’ll be necessary.

The thing that stuck out to be most about the hearings was how many Senators simply couldn’t keep up with the way pace of conversation because they’re so old their brains have gone sedate.

They've got the majority anyway, there's no way you'll ever get the GOP leadership or base on board with term limits. This was decades in the making

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Things looking up everywhere then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Good to all of the above.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Echo Chamber posted:

Caught up the last four episodes in the past two days. Yay, I got relive the Kavanaugh saga. :smithicide:

Oliver only scratched the surface of how big a clusterfuck Brazil's been. He didn't mention the soft coup against Dilma Rousseff. And then the tragic joke that was Michel Temer. Or the assassination of Marielle Franco. Or that national museum getting burned down.

It really should be no surprise that the country's headed towards destruction when you can't find the money in the budget to even invest in a decent sprinkler system but boy howdy can the cops shoot up favelas.

Bust Rodd posted:

This episode was really cool and good but I have to admit I had no idea that Brazil was the 5th largest country in the world.

5th most populous too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lol at the pig

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Perestroika posted:

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure there actually was a quite a lot of Neiling going on during the moon landing. :haw:

That's such a John Oliver joke that I'm honestly surprised they didn't do it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm fine with that then and even finer with them doing it every week because let's be honest, we need it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't one of the guards have AIDS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh boy I think you know the answer to that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hey, hey. Hey. They're perfectly fine with poor white people dying too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hakkesshu posted:

"We made jokes that were very in the style of every other joke we do on the show and you didn't notice ha ha we got you"

Honestly can we drop the lovely comedy and just make it a completely dry exploration of problems in America

Why do you watch the show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

The best credit I can give this show is that I still watch it occasionally, even though I think the Daily Show contemporaries create a bigger backlash energy than they do toward progress. Oliver in particular makes me wish I was comfortable enough to vote for everything right winged and stupid, just so I could watch him gnash his teeth and despair at the state of the world in long verbal diatribes.

Part of that is because a show needs content to work and weirdly everytime the right scores victories and the world seems more depressing and bleak for the left, LWT tends to become a better show.

Jon Stewart never gave me this impression, but Jon never outright coached you to vote for something the way John does at times; he just sort of talked about what’s going on and expected the viewer to use logic and work it out. Old TDS was very, “look at this dumb thing, I’m just suggesting that maybe it could be different?” whereas LWT is really Liberal Complaints And Grievances Hour.
Yeah you sound like a piece of poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Almost anything would be better than more trump jokes but that's where we are. It's exhausting. I'd just like to go a week or two without hearing anything about him but we really can't or at least shouldn't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was worried it would be happening soon and I'm already bummed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

pwn posted:

It’s very possible to have seen something many years ago, and then, because you grew up in the subsequent decades, reject those old trappings of youth while still remembering that was a thing you once knew.

C’mon.

Hahahaha :jerkbag:

• Locked thread