Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

Jimmy Fallon allowed Chris Christie to bury his scandal by dancing with him in some lovely skit.

On the other hand, Fallon also savaged Christie pretty badly with that "Christie's Traffic Jam" song he did with Bruce Springsteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

hcreight posted:

I love LWT's newest weekly segment: Irish Joe Trolls the Thread.

Yup. Wonder if this is going to become a regular weekly feature.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

Sexy Weird Al, Sexy Neil Degrassi Tyson

Now that's just redundant.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
That entire segment about doctors and pharma reps was great, but now my mom is using it to argue that we shouldn't trust doctors when they talk about vaccinations, either :cripes:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't see how the two are related.

Basically, the line of reasoning goes, "doctors are untrustworthy because of the corrupting influence of Big Pharma, therefore we shouldn't trust them when it comes to vaccines, either".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

JohnSherman posted:

It amazes me that people have become so used to the idea that schools give full ride scholarships to —and bend admission requirements for— athletes that Oliver can say "athletes don't get paid a cent" and nobody calls him out on it. Seriously, do you think those are offered because schools just love sports?

Don't know if you're trying to Irish Joe it up here or whatever, but Oliver addressed that very argument in depth in his segment.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

No one commented that Wyatt cenac is still alive??

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Russell Simmons.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Huh, looks like there might be actual progress to scale back mandatory minimum sentencing laws at the federal level. Still pretty early in the whole process, but good news if it pans out.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lol, I guess someone told The Donald about this:

quote:

John Oliver, comedian and host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" on Friday said that he's not at all interested in having Donald Trump on his show.

"I don’t really care about him in any capacity," he said on CBS' "This Morning." "I don’t really have anything to say to him."

Oliver explained that an interview with Trump would not yield anything new about the real estate mogul and Republican presidential candidate.

"He’s said everything he wants to say. He has no internal monologue, that man. So it’s not like you’re going to find the secret nugget he’s been holding back. He’s an open book. And that book doesn’t have that many interesting words in it," Oliver said.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

The media are talking about a potential Trump presidency because (A) media likes the "close horse-race" narrative, and (B) there's this big blindspot where people see momentum within one party and conflate that with momentum among the overall public.

I don't buy the "Everyone said Trump couldn't win the nomination and look what happened, anything is possible!" line. It was always clearly possible that Trump could get the GOP nomination, because the party base is bugnuts and their field was terrible yet again. But with overall favorability numbers as historically low as his, and intense polarization/disillusionment threatening to depress conservative turnout, that's a far cry from even approaching success in November.

I would argue that a Trump presidency is in fact a real possibility, and that you only need to look at the events happening today to see how he could potentially win.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Procrastinator posted:

But then what do you call the third one?????

Now You Three Me

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

The UK clearly saw John's main piece this week and were feeling sad about the lack of attention

Yeah, my immediate reaction on reading that news was "well, that's one John Oliver segment taken care of for next week."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Although I have a feeling the Paris Accord stuff will probably dominate. I know they just did an episode where Trump blew up their plans by being insane but he's once again topped himself.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if he didn't cover the whole Paris Accord issue in detail on Sunday's show.

Drifter posted:

I know this is only tangentially related, but I'm glad Stephen Colbert and his writers were basically forced to go back and be political. He is much more enjoyable now as a result.

And Seth Meyers' Closer Look segments are the bees knees. Better than Colbert's stuff on most days.

Agreed on both counts.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good episode last night. Could've used more Lord Buckethead, though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
On the subject of Bitcoin and electricity:

https://twitter.com/davidjoachim/status/974704751207178242

Kinda hope John gives this a brief mention next Sunday.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
A whole segment on Mike Pence, and no mention of his horse fetish, smdh

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am disappointed that the thread title hasn't been changed to "Johnny O's Fish Facts, Wildlife Wonders, and Abortion".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
That bit with Neil Degrasse Tyson was goddamn brilliant. Especially with John throwing in “feckless” at the end there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good episode tonight. I’m glad Oliver took the time to focus on our hosed-up relationship with Saudi Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TerriIrwin/status/1052349180255981569

:3:

• Locked thread