Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Atomizer posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my favorite part of the Brexit voters: the idiots who voted [to leave] because they "didn't think their vote would count." Normally voter apathy causes citizens to not vote because they don't think their votes count. UK citizens apparently have their own logic and are surprised when their actions have consequences.

Fake Edit: Also, Vote Bernie 2016! :toot:

They really should have had another option:
[ ] Leave
[ ] Remain
[ ] lol

We have that in America, we call it voting third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I think it's more that he's bringing back the old stuff to keep from being canceled.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Azhais posted:

I'm writing in Joe Exotic, who's with me?

That is effectively voting for whoever wins. If you'd be OK with a Trump presidency, go ahead. I'd prefer electing Clinton with a stronger mandate/heavier repudiation of Trump.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Most businesses wouldn't give a poo poo about election day being a hospital. No restaurant I've ever worked for would close for the day.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I am against having these third parties in the main debates, as it legitimizes two insane parties.

The exception would be if the Libertarian who stripped to a g-string and danced at their debates is the one they invite. He's always welcome.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

At least if he's standing up it'll be short.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know what would be really nuts?

If when the electoral college meets in December there's enough faithless electors to gently caress the whole thing over.

It's not going to happen. We're hosed.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

^^^Same

So do polygraphs work because people are far worse at lying when they know they're hooked up to something being referred to as a "lie detector" by the people who are closely watching them, even if the machine is an empty metal box? And although it'd be easy to "beat" one if you know this hustle and just don't act any weirder / different due to knowing you're hooked up, for all those false negatives you'd have it's still a great trick/con for getting true confessions the interrogators wouldn't have otherwise scored as long as there's anybody out there who hasn't grown wise to the routine?

I've heard they were junk science but I've never thought about it that way. Was there anything else besides the junk science thing that This American Life said about them that was shocking? Did a lie detector actually shock someone out of spite?

They're just nervousness "detectors", basically.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It also had a genie named Kaazam played by Sinbad.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It also gives racists another possible reason why they can't hire a person with dark skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Joe Q. American who can do his taxes in 30 minutes with pencil and paper does so, and comes to a different answer than Uncle Sugar, doesn't Uncle Sugar's answer win?

I'm not sure what it has to do with 'trusting the government' when 'the government' is the one with the authority here, anyway.

The return would be double checked, and Joe's solution can be evaluated.

• Locked thread