Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zero One posted:

It feels exactly like The Daily Show.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but... I was expecting more than just no censors.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It basically feels like a team of people who watched TDS over last summer and just thought 'yeah, we can just remake this'. I don't know how much talk behind the scenes there was with regards to Letterman moving and Stephen replacing him, but right now it seems like the alternative could've been Oliver taking over TCR and we'd have him doing the same thing 4 days a week. That, to me, is sadly better than what we have now.

Obviously just the first show, but I was expecting more than just a network change when you have the might of HBO behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I have no idea what kind of show Cenac would even do, so that actually sounds really exciting.

I'm guessing the post was based on an old joke segment they had called The Cenac Attack. I hope all the correspondents have equally awesome names for their fictional spinoffs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a shame that TDS covered the GM thing a while back in a pretty similar detail, but it was still a good piece and the commercial was excellent.

Is the 4 weeks on, 1 week off thing pretty much how they're running the show? Or does anyone know if it's booked for x amount of episodes, then takes a longer break?

I'll use the week off to dig up some clips of some of the types of British shows that are definitely influences on his show (and possibly TDS itself). We haven't done anything great in the last decade, but in the 90s we had a pretty good run of current affairs comedies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The international angle (despite being very American in approach) is really smart : it means it's far, far easier to sell to other English speaking countries. I know they run it on Sky Atlantic, which is where HBO have their main UK deal, and maybe in Australia too, as they love importing and not big fans of making original programming themselves.

Anyone know much about the writing team? Did they come partially from TDS or did JO work with them previously on stuff? They seem to have gotten the tone bang on so quickly, I'd be surprised if they were just round up by HBO randomly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trinidads TV6 have a stream on their site, we tuned to it and go into a currently airing news show that's talking about Warner, and not 20 seconds later saying how John Oliver slammed him on their channel and quoting bits.

Warner responded "no comment", apparently.

http://www.tv6tnt.com as I'm sure it'll come back again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I too love Publix, and it's hard to explain my enthusiasm for a grocery store to people here. "It's like a not-poo poo version of Co-op!" doesn't really cut it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only positive is that the fund shot up a bunch since the episode aired, which it probably wouldn't have. It's not much of a positive though, I'll agree.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They have a million things to fill a ten minute slot. Stick all the categories on the wheel of fortune and spin it until time runs out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd love to see an interview with the pope, just so John can roll him footage of nobody recognising him or knowing what he does.

"Is he the guy that runs FIFA?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Propaganda Machine posted:

If you can marry somebody, immigration to the US is easy.

Ehhhh best case scenario is my immigration will take about 6-8 months from what I can tell. I've got to go to medicals and interviews in London (4 hours away on the bus) and they can delay or decline me for any reason they want to. It'll be worth it, but immigration to the US is really difficult and I'm lucky that I'm in the position that's probably the easiest. Yet it's still an arseache. (It's also NOTHING compared to what these poor people are going through).

If I wanted to go anywhere in Europe, there's not much really stopping me.

I'm kind of looking forward to getting in conversations where people will be outwardly moaning about immigrants, forgetting that I'll be one too. I shall compile the Top 5 back pedals, all of which will be code for 'but you're white'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The UK is so lax with voter protection that I found out via my housemate that I was eligible to vote (I'd recently moved into the area), because he saw my name on the list when he went. No ID required or anything. No deep rooted fear about vote fraud either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

There isn't any fear about voter fraud in the US either, it's conservatives' fear of minorities and poors voting.

Yeah I've seen the issue covered before showing the data just isn't there to prove it happens. I thought LWT covered it some time ago, but must've been Daily Show and Colbert.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked using the Fisher Stevens in brown-up as bookends to the piece without saying why. A lot of people probably think it's just a bad representation of Indians in pop culture rather than the truth.

The Aziz piece about it earlier was a good read, thanks for that link. I've loved using this bit of movie trivia to blow people's minds for the last 15 years or so. Works best when they've seen Hackers too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some British sitcoms still end with the audience clapping and the actor grinning and waving over their name in the end credit sequence. Horrifying stuff that should've been left in our dark past.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nowhere has it perfect sadly. The US had the well known medical bill problems, while the UK goes the opposite route and puts you on a standard 2 year waiting list before they'll do anything with the hope you'll die of it in the meantime. Let's all move to Scandinavia.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trump hasn't done or said one thing that would put off his core fanbase. There's probably not enough of them to win him the presidency, but enough of them to ensure he will 'succeed' in the long term. The Trump TV is probably real and it will probably keep him in the headlines for a long time to come. As long as he doesn't call NASCAR gay, they'll keep supporting him.

He's either a smart guy pretending to be dumb, or a dumb guy pretending to be smart but he rides the line so hard it's honestly hard to tell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tentish klown posted:

He truly is the American Boris.

The wonderful thing about Boris is he is also the American Boris as he was born in NY. He could run for president!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm surprised Oliver hasn't brought up Brexit because it's incredibly relevant to what's going on. The left wing derided the right wing as stupid idiots who didn't know anything and believed everything they were told, and so they responded by voting for Brexit with great passion. Even if it wasn't what they truly wanted. People don't like to be looked down upon and have their opinion disregarded, especially when there's some validity and they're being made vague promises that won't be kept.

To some relevancy, I looked through my review pile and put on a Trump 'documentary' I presumed was a left wing hit piece that I could nod along to, like you often see. Wasn't until about 10-15 minutes in I realized it was actually praising him, because all it is is clips of the guy talking at rallies and in debates. If it wasn't for the narrator, who barely comes on, saying something pro-trump there was no way I'd realize it was actually supposed to be a best of.

It was a pretty hard watch for an hour, regardless of how I saw it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What I'm reading here is, I should become the top guy in a gun based MLM.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when I pointed out this could happen in this very thread, citing the reasons behind Brexit being just as applicable here and was immediately shut down. Turns out paying attention to relevant things that happen in other parts of the world is actually important, who could have guessed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like Full Frontal but I feel exactly that way about Daily Show now. Trevor Noah seems like a good guy but holy hell his presentation is abysmal. Even the commercial they showed for tonight's episode was just so poor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Servaetes posted:

I personally think 2016 was a pretty good year because I did a bunch of exciting life changing things so I can't really agree with Mr Oliver's assessment, but yeah, boo Trump, yay Hillary, row row fight the power

Yeah, barring one or two things my 2016 ranks up there amongst the best. Everything around me has been such a clusterfuck I feel selfish that I've had such a good year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vodos posted:

She started out really progressive but MSNBC slowly but surely turned her into yet another corporate media hack.

I really don't get what's happened to MSNBC, it's like someone told them they had a left wing bias and they completely balked at the thought and did their utmost to become bland and centrist as possible. Like, what is their identity now? Why should I watch them?

Admittedly I had it on all afternoon because of the shooting news, but I probably in hindsight should've just gone to the local feed - I just knew I didn't want to go FOX/CNN (bleh) or BBC (pointless) so they were the leftover. Is that their raison d'être now?

• Locked thread