Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
That GM segment was wonderfully vicious. I think they've got the pacing down now where they're not rushing through everything like the first couple of episodes. If Oliver can show he can handle long form interviews on a consistent basis I think they should look into stretching the show to an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Wow that net neutrality video is almost at 3 million views. The consistency with which his clips have gone viral is pretty staggering, especially after only like 5 shows.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Who's worse, the IOC, F1, or FIFA?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

If you don't learn to play the recorder, you're hosed.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I like there's less beating of the dead 'Fox news says dumb stuff, Republicans are bad' horse and he usually just uses the extended running time to go full bore after corrupt corporations and organizations. Like that GM piece, I don't know what would have looked like on a network that had to worry about sponsors, but I doubt HBO gave a poo poo.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah I don't pretend to know anything about Cuban/American politics, but I've been to Cuba and seeing the people there, especially in the rural areas, having trouble accessing basic goods, when they're just off the coast of the richest country in the world, that was heartbreaking. The embargo seemed like a huge weight on everybody's lives there.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

They were originally only contracted to do like 19 episodes this year and they're already up to 23, so we're already getting more than we thought.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

xcore posted:

So no words on the actual meat of the show this week? As non-US person that scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I understand he was being a bit tongue in cheek when he did the "well i shouldn't have urinated in October during an election year" but the implications of that are frightening.

Maybe I need to go and check out the US Politics series that John and Hank Green's channel is doing at the moment, because it is loving bizarre to me that judges run around running campaigns like that to be "elected".

Yeah had no idea that elected judges were even a thing.

Get your poo poo together Bolivia.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

As much as this show has exceeded anyone's expectations, I really do miss the foreign policy bent the show initially had. Would've much rather had check-ins or main stories on any other matter of foreign affairs/elections than a riff on sweatshops that I've seen and heard before.

The first half of the show covered the Armenian genocide and the New Zealand prime minister though?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

This week's episode would be a perfect time to delve into how hosed up democratic elections (or the press) are these days.

But instead, he'll probably mention it at the top of the show and then pivot to discussing... con men or faulty mechanics or some other wanky obvious target.

Any hope of the bugle maybe being the place to find Oliver talking about the Uk election?

Yeah it's already out https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle/bugle-292-a-career-defining-election

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

"Why did we do it? Well, it seemed interesting." :downs:

Guess that still better then the reasons that the english nobles had for introducing Canadian Geese to Europe.

More like, "Why did we do it? Because we liked Shakespeare."

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Haha now the musicians that did the song in the video are pissed:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Did I miss an episode? Was there one on nuclear silos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

That bit he did on Russia was weird. It's pretty obvious why Russia would step into Syria to fight ISIS. The entire western world has been desperately scrabbling for an angle for confronting ISIS, and Russia has been staunchly allied with Syria for a long while now. Assad was Russia's boy in the middle east, just like how Saudi Arabia is for the US and how Iran was for the UK before the Shah was ousted. Russia's been sending weapons to Assad for years before this point, they might as well get militarily involved against the one target who everyone else in the international committee would be fine with killing.

And the thing is, John Oliver should know that, because I'm pretty sure it's been covered by the Bugle before, as well as the Daily Show. He's just willfully choosing to believe one idiot newsman's take on things for the purpose of a stupid bit.

Besides, bombing barely even counts as a military commitment. The US bombs pretty much everyone, and there's not a lot of fuss about that.

Russia immediately went and started bombing the FSA (and ignoring ISIS), claiming that everyone who's against Assad is ISIS, thus adding to the entire clusterfuck.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I'm pretty sure they figured that the whole church thing was going to cause real world change

I'm pretty sure they didn't and just wanted to make a funny segment

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

But seriously what in god's name are they covering on WCBS News at 11??

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

The thrust of the piece wasn't really personal stuff but more deconstructing the brand he had built up.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

lifts cats over head posted:

Based off of my Facebook the Drumpf bit had been the most shared LWT clip so far. Whether or not it makes a difference is doubtful, but like you said it should be fun for a few days. I really hope Drumpf responds in some fashion.

Yeah it's almost at 6 million views on youtube after 24 hours :stonk:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

LWT took the best writing and variety show Emmys this year

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/777698042161934337

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Next week: "Look up there, way up. Way past Jupiter. That's where we were last week."

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

He's down 7-9 points, and Clinton has a better chance of winning Texas than Trump has of winning the election.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Servaetes posted:

As much as I love both Oliver and Samantha Bee they and a LOT of other comedians and media personalities gave entirely too much free airtime, and it goes even as far back as the primaries

To be fair Oliver really loving hated the idea of giving him attention and didn't give him air time until it became clear he was the presumptive nominee, when they did the big blowout piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

IIRC he bought 15 million in debt for 60k

• Locked thread