Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are those wide fives, or do all Beetles come with wheels like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are those wide fives, or do all Beetles come with wheels like that?

All wide fives, (5x205mm). Supposedly the rear wheels are crazy rare.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should immediately convert the hub snouts over to a wide five truck-style snout because wide fives are the best thing ever.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I've redone the front left axle, put some $200 Dorals on it, painted the wheels and front bumper with Rustoleum Appliance Paint, and am ordering some bushings. Hopefully I can smog it soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How can you make appearance changes and not take pictures of them?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How can you make appearance changes and not take pictures of them?

I worked 20 of the last 21 days :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I now know what wide fives are. Thank you, thread!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Replaced the lower balljoints, and the 3 month old clutch cable (the routing is awful and it rubbed on the steering column). It got pretty wet inside from the 1.5" of rain we got (after 9 months of none) and I've pulled the interior to get it cleaned up a bit. The frotn carpet is in really bad shape, and I need to replace the foam rubber/vinyl trim stuff.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Re-dyed the rear carpet, dismantled and cleaned up the rear trim, re-set the rear hatch latch mechanism, and found out that all the door keys don't match the ignition. At least I have both original Subaru keys, but that still kinda sucks.

I promise I will have pictures, the car looks amazing right now, not at all like it did in the first post!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DJ Commie posted:

Re-dyed the rear carpet, dismantled and cleaned up the rear trim, re-set the rear hatch latch mechanism, and found out that all the door keys don't match the ignition. At least I have both original Subaru keys, but that still kinda sucks.

I promise I will have pictures, the car looks amazing right now, not at all like it did in the first post!

Was it the case back in the 70s that some keys would operate the door and ignition locks, and the accessories keys would only unlock the doors?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

You Am I posted:

Was it the case back in the 70s that some keys would operate the door and ignition locks, and the accessories keys would only unlock the doors?

No, the ignition was a SPECIAL CUSTOM KEYED lock. It was this way through the 80s in the US- we weren't all raised up felons. :shobon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

It's possibly just a result of someone needing to replace one or more of the door cylinders, and not wanting to re-key the ignition to match.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's possibly just a result of someone needing to replace one or more of the door cylinders, and not wanting to re-key the ignition to match.

I don't think any of my relatives had a matching door/ignition key throughout the 80s- but now you have me second guessing (other than the rich ones who had that stupid loving resistor-key in the late 80s).. their trunk key didn't match ignition. I don't remember about the doors. :ohdear:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My parents' 1970s Mercedes had an ignition key which would also door locks, and an accessories key that would only do door locks, boot lock and glove box lock. Maybe it was an European thing

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I've been digging around the spare parts to see what I want to include when I sell, what to put on eBay/USMB, and what to recycle. I dug out my long block with a bad liner and the case of the transmission and realized how long the transmission on these things are.

Engine:

Whole Driveline
the shifter location is on the tailshaft near the output

I really want to post pictures of the car as it looks amazing but I leave for work as the sun goes up and get home after dark nowadays :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

edit: as I bought it:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:awesome: That's some fine work, looks great!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
gronk make car pretty

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
drat, that is one handsome Subaru.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lookin' good!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Wow, what a change! How's it running? I like that you kept the old CA plate.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Goddamn, she purrty. :clint:

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wow, what a change! How's it running? I like that you kept the old CA plate.

In CA, the plate goes with the car. :ssh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

gronk make car pretty

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I'm not normally one for instagram people, but you should send that to WagonSteez (#WagonSteez)... I'll bet he'd post it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Excellent job!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I like its funkiness but its like driving a 737, slow steering and ridiculous bodyroll. Hopefully if I do sell it, it will get close to the value of this one, which sold for $7500. Mine has a far worse interior, but is mechanically amazing, since it has a new engine, clutch, and front suspension.

edit: and new front brakes, rear brakes, tires, brake hoses, and anything I could buy off Rockauto for it.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 18, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I just spent $450 on a rebuilt carburetor :(

I am plain tired of it not working, the throttle shaft is worn, the casting is warped, and I just want it done.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Can't win 'em all, sometimes it's the best option.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
New carb was the best thing ever for my beetle. No more being stranded, or futzing with it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

And of course its the wrong one. I'm off to O'Reillys to take it back. I have the original correct carb, pictures from their websiteof the correct carb, and my receipt. Hopefully they can get the correct one for me.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So did you get stranded by O'Reillys? They are amazingly unreliable place to buy parts from in my general area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

extreme_accordion posted:

So did you get stranded by O'Reillys? They are amazingly unreliable place to buy parts from in my general area.

I went in to the local hub store and they ordered one. Said it would be 5-7 business days. I'm waiting on a bunch of parts I bought off of this car, the site has been pretty awesome so far with the parts puller people.

• Locked thread