Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Alena

Alena is too excited to sleep. Not that she has ever slept, strictly speaking, but that's not the point. The point is that today is the day that she will join Marco's expedition on a grand adventure and is thus no time to be resting. It's a time for action! It's a time for swordplay! It's a time to prove her worth!

Okay, so Mother may have heard her yell that. Alena's escape will need to go somewhat faster than she planned. She doesn't have anything against her dear mother, but if she comes up here she'll make her help sow the fields, and if she sows the fields she'll be stuck out there with her father all day, and if she's stuck out there with her father all day she can't join Marco's expedition. She's been dressed for hours, so there's no worries there. She hasn't strapped on her sword yet, but she can carry that out. Same with the picks, and the lyre, and the bottle of cider she's kept hidden away for a special occasion. She was going to grab some food from the kitchen before she left, but she doesn't exactly have the time for that. All she has to do now is go to the window, look down on the road below, let herself drift out of sync with the world and...

There! Alena has successfully slipped out of the house, and she only had to use her blatant magical abilities once. It won't be long before Mother figures out what she did, but she'll be halfway to Marco's house by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Jealousy does not become you, dear." Alena makes a great show of turning her nose up at Sariya. Not that she's entirely sure why she's turning her nose up at her, but nobles turn their nose up at people who insult them so that's what she will do. Not that she really sees the point, but she is sure they had a good reason.

"Ahem. Anyway, Sullivan has the right of it. There's an adventure out there with our names on it. There's no time to begin it like the present."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Fortunately for Marco, Alena was already out the door by the time he insulted the d'Montaignes.

---

Well, this is a fortunate turn of events. Alena hasn't brought nearly enough supplies for today's trek, so she'll take whatever aid she can. At least if it's actual aid. She wouldn't put a childish prank past Melvin. She leans over and raps three times on the side of the barrel. Satisfied that it's at least full of something, Alena turns back to the dwarf and smiles.

"On behalf of the expedition and the barony, I thank you for your aid. Now if you could just step aside, we really do have a long hike ahead of us and we must be going."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Alena watches the debris bob in the river with mild disinterest. Yep. This river sure is deep. Wide, too. Didn't she hear a joke like that once? Must not have been a very good joke, if she can't remember it now. Of course, now it's on her mind so she'll be thinking about it all day. How did it start? Two men are... are...

Wait, did Sullivan just imply she couldn't do something.

"Please, Sullivan. It would take a wider river than this to best me. I simply do not want to get my clothes wet. Lerissa's plan is much more to my liking."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

When Alena agreed to be ferried across the river, she thought that she would look regal. That she would stand upon Sullivan's shoulders like a conquering general, eager for the battle that awaits him on the other shore. Or sitting astride him like a noble knight, as the case may be. In practice... well, let no one say that she did not try. It's just hard to look lordly when you are hiking up your jacket with one hand and holding your sword and scabbard above your head with the other. Still, she would have looked so cool if Sullivan just kept his shoulders above water like she thought he would.

---

Ah, nature. This would be a lovely day for a walk, if Alena's shoes weren't completely waterlogged. The squelching does put a real damper on any enjoyment she could get from looking at the way the sunlight filters through the leaves. For now, all she can really do for now is put one foot in front of the other and keep an eye out for anything that's more interesting than yet another tree.

Perception: 1d20+5 13

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Lerissa, Sariya, if you could just... move a smidge..." Alena begins forcing her way to the front of the party as soon as she hears that there's an actual faerie here. After all, someone in this expedition needs to make a good first impression. Lord knows no one else here could talk their way out of a paper bag. If only there wasn't 500 pounds of muscle and a cold-hearted witch between her and any real position of authority in this group. Still, she does manage to slip past her teammates eventually.

"Hail-*ahem*-Hail, madame! We come here in search of the legendary Mandragora! Do not bar our way and we will leave you be. Of this, you have my word. Attempt to stop us and you will pay in blood. Of this, you also have my word. Am I clear? Good."

"Now, if you have anything more that you wish to discuss, please, come join us over here and we can all talk it over like gentlemen. If that is alright with you, of course."

Why not make a Diplomacy check, I said. It'd be just for fun, I said. It's not like I'd waste a good roll on nonse-Diplomacy: 1d20+10 30

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Please, Sariya. The faerie was leading us into a trap. I called her away from the plants, and now she's simply following us. It's not that complex, dear." Alena rolls her eyes at Sariya as she makes her way down to the lower level.

"Oh! Is this what you meant by a 'mighty guardian', faerie? Because I'll be honest, I expected someone taller." Alena approaches the crystal pillar, looking at it with an enterprising eye. She reaches out to touch the engravings before thinking better of it.

"Still, she does have a very pretty home..."

Rolling Arcana to try to identify the weird crystal binding pillar specifically. Arcana: 1d20+12 18

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Alena strides out into the room, taking her place firmly in the middle of Sariya's mists. Her hand is resting on the hilt of her blade, but she's not going to draw her blade just to simply hack at vines. When one of these plants proves themselves worth the effort, she will give it the cutting it deserves. Until then, she will simply lead from the rear.

"Do these plants think they can take us? Oh please. I've picked worse weeds from my fields."

Move: Move to F33.
Standard: Using Vicious Mockery on the upper eye-stalk. Vicious Mockery: 1d20+6 25 1d6+5 9 Hits it's Will for 9 Psychic damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 35/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   19	Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 10/10 (V: 9)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +2		Ref:  17	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 18   

Melee basic attack (Longsword):
1d20+10, 1d8+6 damage

At Will			Encounter		Daily
Guiding Strike  	[ ]Dirty Deed   	[ ]Slayer's Strike
Vicious Mockery 	[ ]Fey Step             Items
        	 	[ ]Words of Friendship	[ ]Catstep Boots
			[ ][ ]Majestic Word	
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals
-Once per round, when an enemy attack misses an ally within 9 squares, 
 you can slide that ally 1+1 squares as a free action and slide an
 enemy adjacent to that ally into the space the ally left.
-When you miss an attack with this Inescapable Longsword, 
 gain a +1 bonus to the next attack roll against the target.
-Draw a sheathed weapon or retrieve a stowed item as a free action.
-When you fall or jump down, take half damage and always land on your feet.
-+2 item bonus to saving throws against charm, illusion and sleep effects.
-+5 to saving throws against charm effects

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Is that all you have, plant? A little spit-up? Please. Show me what you can really do." Alena walks into the poison, arms held wide. She makes too tempting a target for the stalk to not lunge at her, which leaves it open for Victe's blade to do it's work. In the end, the eye stalk's too busy writhing in pain from the sword in it's side to actually attack the bard it was lunging for in the first place.

Alena's lungs burn, but that won't stop her from laughing.

Move: Move to E35
Standard: Use Blunder on the north eye stalk. Blunder: 1d20+6 13 1d6+5 6 That's a hit vs Will, dealing 6 damage and sliding it two squares to E36 if possible. Even if it's not, Victe gets a basic attack with a +5 bonus to the attack roll. Blunder - Victe's Basic Attack: 1d20+10+5 25 1d8+5 12 And that can't miss, so 12 move damage.
Free: Take 2 poison damage from ending my turn in this zone.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 33/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   19	Passive Insight: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+6 damage

[ ][ ]Majestic Word	
			[X]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 4, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"I wasn't planning on it, faerie." Alena lunges, severing vines left and right before hopping back.

"Although I will be frank, faerie, I wish we had worthier foes than these. Vines are still vines, no matter how much bile they spit out."

Standard: Guiding Strike on the vines in F35. Guiding Strike: 1d20+10 26 1d8+6 7 Not that I really needed to roll, since it's a minion with 1 AC.
Move: Shift to E36.
Free: Take two poison damage because I'm still in the zone.

I didn't do much this round, but I'm not ready to risk five attacks from the vines while next to the guy who marked the eyestalk and the only other healer.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 31/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   19	Passive Insight: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+6 damage

[ ][ ]Majestic Word	
			[X]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"drat plants, exploding everywhere. Now I need to wash it off my jacket..." Alena makes her way to the nearest pool, grumbling about how they didn't even have the common decency to die cleanly. She could just leave it, but the dust is just barely orange enough to stand out on her jacket and if she let it get stuck in she'd be itching all day and she should just take care of it now. She sings some old song under her breath as she works, just like her mother always does, and... actually, it sounds pretty good. Invigorating, even.

Thanks to Song of Rest, everyone heals 4 more HP per healing surge! You're welcome.

"...around the mulberry tree-" Alena suddenly stops her washing to glare a hole in Sully's back.

"Sullivan. Sariya. There will be no eating of our guests. There will be no swatting. There will be no slashing. There will be no harm done to this faerie. I gave her my word, and if you attempt to harm her I will give you far more than just my word. Am I clear?"

"Although I must be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you two were still itching for a fight." Alena chuckles at her own pun as she glances over the withered corpses. That shield could be useful... Doesn't look that heavy either. Perhaps she will take it for herself.

I'll take the shield if no one else wants it.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 35/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   19	Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 9/10 (V: 9)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+6 damage

[ ][ ]Majestic Word	
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Hey! Intruders we may be, but we are no thieves! We are explorers. We are only here to see what this fine castle has to see, not for something as simple as loot. And might I add, your home does have much to see."

Alena seems surprisingly insulted by the spider-man's accusations for someone who's carrying a set of lockpicks and a shield she took from a dead man.

Bluff: 1d20+10 23

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"We're... hunting... snipes. Yeah, that's it! We're hunting snipes! They're very majestic creatures, you know. Definitely worth seeing, if you can."

Bluff: 1d20+10 11

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"You insult me, you steal my guest, and now you threaten me? Please. As though some spider with delusions of grandeur could ever threaten me." Alena draws her sword and shield in one smooth motion, allowing herself one quick flourish before entering a defensive stance.

"Anden! Today you face Alena d'Montaigne! May this be the last name you ever hear."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

While we're talking about buffs us leaders are planning on using, Virtue of Cunning lets me slide one of you 2 squares when you get missed by an attack as long as you're within nine squares of me. If you get missed and want to be moved, just tell me on IRC. Also, if you want a ride up to Willard's back next turn make sure you end your turn within three squares of Willard

"Is this our 'death', Anden? Spitting a bit of venom at us? Please. Sariya! Be a dear and show him what a real ranged assault looks like, will you?"

"And as for you, you overgrown log, did they forget to carve you a brain? They must have, if you're associating with filth like this."

Standard: Vicious Mockery on Willard: Vicious Mockery: 1d20+6 20 1d6+5 7 7 Psychic damage and Willard takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.
Move: Move to G80

My updated statblock:

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 35/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 15
Initiative: +2		Ref:  18	Action Points: 1

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[ ][ ]Majestic Word	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Go on, Victe! Show that drat tree what-for!" Alena waves the paladin onward to further battle, adding a small dash of magic to get her out of the worst of the webbing.

"As for you, Anden, that was quite the trick. You forgot one thing, though." Alena suddenly appears behind the spider-man, fire in her eyes and a smile on her face.

"You're not the only one with tricks."

Alena's next attack, while effective, is not suitable for polite conversation. For now, it suffices to say that some days make wearing metal-plated shoes so very worth it.

Minor: Use Majestic Word on Victe, letting her spend a healing surge to heal 15 HP and sliding to D57.
Move: Use Fey Step to teleport to D62, avoiding an OA from Anden.
Standard: Use Dirty Deed on Allard: Dirty Deed: 1d20+9 27 vs Reflex, knocking Allard prone.
Free: Lerissa gets a basic attack thanks to Dirty Deed. Dirty Deed - Lerissa: 1d20+9 23 1d12+7 14 14 damage to Allard, re-bloodying him.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 31/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

Guiding Strike  	[X]Dirty Deed   	[ ]Slayer's Strike
Vicious Mockery 	[X]Fey Step             Items
			[x][ ]Majestic Word	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 12, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

It's a ghost tree. When did it become a ghost tree? Why is the ghost tree summoning more ghosts? Why is she bleeding, five seconds ago she was just fighting a log and an rear end in a top hat with too many legs, how did this go so badly?

"William! Just get up there and show this smug bastard!"

Free: Virtue of Cunning, slide William to E60

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 13/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[x][ ]Majestic Word	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals
 you can slide that ally 1 squares as a free action and slide an

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Most people would give in when faced by the array of wounds Alena has suffered in the past five minutes. After all, she has been cut by silk, bludgeoned by a tree the size of a (very small) house and covered in venom. The only reasonable choice at this point would be to lay down your sword and hope the spider-man gives you a quick death.

But Alena d'Montaigne is not a reasonable person. Not in her daily life, not in her fantasies, and certainly not when some gangly little spider with delusions of humanity made her bleed her own blood. Surrender simply is not an option. Running Anden down like the dog he is, on the other hand? That's the best choice she could make at the moment.

"That is enough!" Alena lunges forward, swinging wildly. Anden parries them easily, but that's not really a surprise. There's more poison than blood in her sword arm at this point, to be frank. What is surprising is that she keeps swinging. And swinging. And swinging. Each blow batters his defenses down that much more, until finally the blade strikes true.

"Ha ha ha... See? What did I tell you? Hah... The rest of you! Hurry up and turn that log into tinder!" Alena wrenches her blade from the spider-man's guts and staggers back, yelling orders at whoever would listen as she falls back to the entrance.

Minor: Majestic Word on myself, healing me for 13 HP and sliding me to D65
Standard: Guiding Strike against Anden: Guiding Strike: 1d20+10 16 1d8+5 6 Miss.
Action Point: Guiding Strike again, because the rest of you have better things to do than attack this guy: Guiding Strike: 1d20+10+1 18 1d8+5 6 That should be just enough to kill him.
Move: Move to I63
Free: Saving throw against the ongoing poison damage: Failed

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 18/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 8/10 (V: 9)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +2		Ref:  18	Action Points: 0

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[x][X]Majestic Word	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Sariya, dear, we have more to worry about than a little murder among friends..." Alena wavers, trying to find the words to make the golem stand down. Lord knows no one else here would. She just has to step forward, wipe the blood off her shirt and say them.

"Willard! William has the right of it. We have come for the Mandragora, not your gem. Just let the faerie go and we can all go our separate ways. We have all bled enough for one day."

Minor: Use Words of Friendship for a +5 power bonus to my next Diplomacy check
Free: Make a Diplomacy check to make him stop hitting us. Diplomacy: 1d20+10+5 19 Might be a good idea for someone vaguely charming to assist me? (Lerissa is the only other person here that's vaguely charming.)
Standard: Ready a Vicious Mockery that I'll use if he actually attacks someone again. It will miss.
Saving Throw: Failed

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 15/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 8/10 (V: 9)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[X]Words of Friendship	[ ]Catstep Boots
			[x][X]Majestic Word	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 16, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Alena visibly relaxes as Willard slumps to the ground. Finally, no more vicious little spiders trying to tear her to shreds with webbing. No more haunted tree-golems trying to stomp her flat. No more wounds will be opened, no more faeries that need rescuing, no more tears to-oh gently caress, the faerie!

For the briefest of moments, Alena forgot how bloodied she was. She forgot that Willard could easily smash her to a pulp if he woke up right now. She forgot that she looked like a gangly mess of limbs and red hair as she dove into the golem's hole. She just knew that she had to be the noble rescuing the princess tiny faerie from the dungeon golem.

"Come now, faerie. You've spent too long imprisoned as it is."

And then Alena realized how loud her voice sounded when it was echoing around Willard's insides. It is at that point that she decided to back away from the sleeping golem that is nine times her size before unwrapping the faerie. Far, far away. Back-against-the-wall away.

Spending two surges to heal to full. Also made an Arcana check to try to detect any magic items in one of the patches of web, but I couldn't really fit that into this post so I'm just leaving it here so I don't forget to do it later.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
Surges: 6/10 (V: 9)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Sariya. He was a scoundrel and a knave, and he openly admitted that he was going to kill and eat us. Do not tell me that what I did was not right or just. I will not tolerate it." Alena glares back at Sariya before returning to her work on freeing the faerie. Miserable little witch, acting like she's better than her. She's nobility, she doesn't need to take this...

Of course, any indignation was washed away once Alena finished unraveling the faerie's cocoon and Pepper started showering her in praise.

---

"Oh pshaw. It was nothing." Alena waves her hand dismissively. "You're travelling with us, after all. Can't let any travelling companion of mine get captured by some sleazy little spider. That wouldn't be very noble of me, after all."

"As for what we did, well, it all began with..."

--A solid minute of basking in Pepper's attention and five minutes of clearing web later--

"And that's why Anden deserved everything that we gave him." Alena looks down on the revealed mandragora stalks and grins. She's mostly grinning because a faerie has been massaging her ego constantly, mind you, but it's still satisfying to see a well-cleared patch of land. Especially when that land contains the one thing she came here for.

"After this? Well, we'll be digging up this mandragora and taking it back to our village. You can come along, if you like. That's a personal invitation from me to you, by the way. Very exclusive."

I'll be taking Pepper's Boon here, obviously. I'll also be taking her as a familiar if she's still around and friendly the next time I level, so yeah. I'm not going to let the chance to have a faerie groupie slip through my fingers.

Also, since Doomy brought it up in IRC, I'm going to say that Alena has some pretty ugly lacerations on the upper part of her sword arm from all the webbing Anden spat at her that she couldn't block. Also some ugly tears in her jacket, but that's not too hard to fix.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
Surges: 6/10 (V: 9)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals
-+1 to Fey Step teleport and +2 to first attack per encounter.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"No no no, that won't do at all. It's far too late in the day to be dealing with a death screech, quite frankly. We need a better plan than that if we want to hear after this. Hmm..." Alena stands there stroking her chin.

"Well... Marco did suggest that we just dig up the whole patch of dirt and carry it back. We could just drain that barrel Melvin gave us and carry this whole corner back home."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"That's not exactly what I intended, Sullivan, but I will allow it. We could all use a bit of time to unwind after today's battles." Alena feigns seriousness for a moment before locking eyes with Sully and letting the grin creep back onto her face.

"Besides, you almost sound like you're saying a d'Montaigne can't handle her liqueur. I can't let that stand."

Endurance to also drink this keg dry. Endurance: 1d20+8 25

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Meanwhile, deeper in the basement, Alena sneezes. Mother always said that you sneeze when someone's talking about you behind your back. Maybe the three of them are... Nah, can't be. It must just be mildew.

"Uh... I brought a bottle. It's kinda shaped like a trowel." She holds up her bottle of wine for William for him to see.

I'm up for digging this thing up all night, but I also need an extended rest less than the rest of you.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Alena slowly looks up from the bottle she had been scrutinizing at the new intruder in her midst. So they broke the kid out while she wasn't paying attention. That's nice. She could use a chance to stretch her legs.

"William, half of us are completely sloshed. She's as good at this as the rest of us."

You know, she really should start digging soon. Many hands make light work, after all...

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"How fast do these things grow? William, come on! We need to clear the path!" Alena barrels forward, basically dragging the young scholar behind her.

Move: Move to F34
Standard: Convert to move and use Moment of Escape to G35.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Victe! Come on, it'll take more than that to slow you down!" Alena barrels forward, refusing to let any mere "plant" stop her. Will the mass of thorny vines stop her? No, why would they? She's been running through brambles her whole life, these ones are nothing. Will the lunging tendrils grab her? Of course not. These plants are so simple that she barely even needs to juke. Will the vines nipping at her heels finally catch up with her?

Well, maybe. She isn't exactly the fastest person to ever run. But you know what? She makes fleeing for her life look good.

Minor: Majestic Word on Victe since she's lucky she still has a face. She can spend one healing surge to heal for 15 HP.
Free: Activate my Catstep Boots to get a +5 bonus to my next Athletics check.

Endurance: 1d20+8+2 25
Bluff: 1d20+10 24
Athletics: 1d20+6 13

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 20/35 (THP: 0)	AC:   20	Passive Insight: 15

1d20+10, 1d8+5 damage

[ ]Words of Friendship	[X]Catstep Boots
			[X][ ]Majestic Word	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Blunder      	
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Don't act so surprised, Pepper. Leading the charge is a very regal thing to do, after all." Bringing Pepper along was such a good decision. She knows the land, she can make wards, she's just a very useful person to have around. No, Alena is not saying that because she's basically a tiny relative that constantly follows her around and strokes her ego, and she is insulted that you would ever suggest that.

"And Victe, it would be an honor to join you in the morning prayers." (Alena doesn't really want to join in, to be honest. She just doesn't want to look like a lout like Sullivan.)

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 45/45 (THP: 0)	AC:   21	Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 8/8 (V: 11)	For:  14	Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +3		Ref:  19	Action Points: 2
Speed: 6		Will: 19   

1d20+11, 1d8+5 damage

Vicious Mockery 	[ ]Fey Step             [ ]Song of Discord
        	 	[ ]Words of Friendship	Items
			[ ][ ]Majestic Word	[ ]Catstep Boots
			[ ]Blunder      	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"We all are, Pepper. We all are." Well, this is it. The confrontation that Alena forgot about entirely until she was already through the door. There is no escaping it now. All she can do is stand tall, present her case and weather the ensuing storm.

"It was for the good of the village, Mother. Marco needed an ingredient from beyond the river for a protective ritual, and I accompanied several other villagers on an expedition to retrieve it. We found it, among other things, we brought it back, and the village will now be safe for a while longer. That is all."

Doomykins made some quick custom familiar rules for Pepper, to I'm just adding them to my combat block real quick.

pre:
Alena d'Montaigne
HP: 45/45 (THP: 0)	AC:   21	Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 8/8 (V: 11)	For:  14	Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +3		Ref:  19	Action Points: 2
Speed: 6		Will: 19   

1d20+11, 1d8+5 damage

Vicious Mockery 	[ ]Fey Step             [ ]Song of Discord
        	 	[ ]Words of Friendship	Items
			[ ][ ]Majestic Word	[ ]Catstep Boots
			[ ]Blunder      	[ ]Bloodguard Shield
			[ ]Moment of Escape	
			[ ]Cunning Ferocity
                        [ ]Second Wind

Conditionals

Familiar: Pepper the Faerie
Passive: +2 Bluff and Resist Radiant 5
Active: Minor action, once per encounter when Pepper is adjacent to you gain 
        concealment until the start of my next turn

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Well I am the heir apparent. I can't just delegate every task set in front of me." For the briefest moment, Alena let herself look insulted at the suggestion that she should have just let someone else go in her place. Fortunately, she remembered where she was and who she was talking to before Mother noticed. Please let Mother not notice the dirty look she almost gave her.

Alena visibly relaxes as her mother turns to leave. "Oh, don't worry. I need to fix these tears in my jacket anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to get something together for Pepper while I'm at it. In fact, I'll get right on that."

"Wait... Actually, Mother, while you're here, why Lerissa specifically? I admit, she's not the most personable person in town, but she's still a better influence than Sullivan is."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Understood, ma'am." Alena gives her mother a small curtsy and heads upstairs. She has a good deal of sewing to do today, after all. She might as well get started now.

---

"Somethin's going on here, Pepper. I know it." Alena is hunched over her jacket, mumbling between the needles she's got clenched between her teeth. Mysterious happenings or not, she is going to repair the hell out of this jacket.

"We just need... drat thread... need ta get a straight answer outta someone. Shouldn' be that hard. Just need ta ask the right people." Alena pulls the thread tight and... there we go. That stitch will hold, for now. Now she can move onto more important things. Things that will help her mother tolerate their new houseguest.

"Now, Pepper-" She pauses to take the needles out of her mouth. "As I was saying, Pepper, here are the scraps we have that might look good on you. We got some reds, we got some greens, we have some yellows but trust me, I've seen what they've mopped up, you don't want the yellows. So, what will it be?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Well, we really should hear my father out. I owe him that much. Besides, I never hear the end of it if he came up here and couldn't find me." She holds up a scrap of cloth next to Pepper, trying to judge the scale one last time before she makes the final cut.

"So, here's my plan. We hear my father out, see what his punishment is, maybe see if he will tell us more than Mother did. After that I'll shirk the punishment any way I can and we can see what the big fuss is with the Metzgers. Sound good?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Of course I survived, Father. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I died out there." Alena gladly returns her father's hug, nestling her head in the crook of his neck. Some times it's good to be home.

"So it's glories you want, hmm? Personally, I'd put Pepper here at the top of that list. Father, meet Pepper. I met her in a rather interesting set of ruins yesterday and she has been with me ever since. Pepper, meet Baron d'Montaigne, Lord of Nellen and ruler of all lands this side of the river. I trust you are suitably impressed."

"Of course, I found more than a faerie on the trip. Where should I begin?" And so Alena tells her father of yesterday's trials. He tells him of vicious vines and villainous spiders. Of old shields and new scars. Of fleeing from the ancient laboratory as dawn broke. She told him of Sullivan's strength, of William's preternatural skill, of Lerissa's properly applied viciousness. Not that Victe's dogged determination or Sariya's spellcraft went unmentioned, of course. She couldn't skim over Victe carrying a young dryad back to town either, even though she does want to. Still, all in all Alena told quite the daring tale.

"So, Father." Her face falls in anticipation of the conversation to come. "I answered your question. Would you answer one of mine?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Mother told me to not visit Lerissa's house. She didn't forbid me from leaving, she specifically mentioned the Metzgers. I want to know why."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Father." Alena places one hand on her father's shoulder. "I will find out what's going on, you understand. I'd just rather hear it from you."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"No, Pepper. We're supposed to just sit here and be content with what he has deigned to tell us." Alena snarls and plops herself back down in her chair. Mother always said she'd crack her head open if she leaned back this far, but you know? She doesn't care about what her mother has to say at the moment.

"Still, it must be something big if he's acting like that. Bigger than a missing sheep. Bigger than old man Levitt breaking his arm. Bigger than anything I've seen around here. What is so worrying about one ritual?" The room falls silent as Alena mulls over that very question...

"You know what? Sariya's bound to know about this ritual than we do. Let's go ask her." Suddenly she's back on her feet, jacket slung over one shoulder as she walks out the door. She's got a mission now, and she's not going to let anyone get in her way. If they do... Well, she'll figure out what to do when it comes to that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"That's not all. Father told me that it's the Metzgers' turn to help with the ritual." Alena follows the others into the library, trying to hide her worries about all this beneath a veneer of self-confidence. She almost succeeds.

"William, if what you're saying is true... If what you're implying is true, we need to talk to Lerissa. Now."

Here's hoping Classtoise posts soon. Otherwise this investigation has the potential to get awkward.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"I agree with Victe. If this is what is necessary to protect the village, then it is necessary no matter how unsavory it is. This pointless secrecy, that is the infuriating... Wait, was that? ... Oh, drat it." And so Alena dashes out of the library, her point cut down in the prime of it's life.

---
"Sullivan! I understand that you're mad, but we can't go around kicking down doors!" Alena is more annoyed than mad as she steps through the ruined threshold. After all, she isn't exactly content with this situation either. His reaction is excessive, but it's still reasonable. She'll just have to have a little talk with him. You know, make him see the light.

Of course, Alena saw the light first. Specifically, the sunlight. Streaming in through the loving hole in the wall. She also saw Victe praying in front of a door, but she doesn't really give a gently caress about that when there is a literal homewrecker standing in front of her.

"Sullivan! What are you doing?!" Alena storms through the hole in the wall, not stopping until she can look him right in the eye. (Well, right in the chest, but there's only so much you can do when you're a solid head shorter than the person you're yelling at. Not that she's going to let that stop her.)

"I don't care how mad you are, you don't just punch through a wall! A door, sure! You can't break a support beam by smashing through a door! You could have brought the whole drat roof down on our heads, just because you wanted into Marco's lab! What were you thinking?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"What, do you think I like this? That I enjoy having a drat murder ritual sprung on us? But you know what? I'm willing to admit that every problem can't be solved by smashing things! We've barely known about this for an hour and you've already put two holes in someone's house and I am going to have to convince everyone to not just throw you out of Nellen for all this. Why couldn't you have just given us more time to think about this before you started all this..."

Alena turns away, breathing heavily. drat Sully for his stubbornness. drat him again for being right. They're going to kill someone, which is bad. They're doing it to protect the village, which is good. They've all been keeping it secret, which means they think it's bad. She doesn't know what to think, but maybe she can figure something out if she can just get a few more facts and a chance to think. Not that she'll have a chance to do that if Sully keeps breaking everything, but still.

"Sullivan, I swear, if you're about to try digging up the cellar I will break your nose."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

Alena couldn't avoid heading down these stairs if she wanted to. She needs to make sure Sullivan and the others don't do anything too regrettable, after all. If she can get some answers in the process, all the better. Although she must say, these murals are not helping her think of this ritual as even a partial good. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Still, all stairs must end eventually and the laboratory itself is now in sight. It's not a pretty sight, but it's there. Sariya's asking what everyone wants to ask, and Sullivan's doing what everyone knew he would. She could hold him back... Nah.

"Quite the interesting choice in decor you have here, Marco."

• Locked thread