Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

goatface posted:

I am going to take over this thread unless someone tells me not to in the next... ~20 hours.

Join us in #ACOLYTE some time, we look forward to this. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

goatface posted:

I am going to take over this thread unless someone tells me not to in the next... ~20 hours.

bless your soul

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We return you to your game currently in progress, pick up as you were.

INQUISITOR MAGDELLA to FOLKAR AZEREON and JOYCE SCREE

The plastic face remains fixed through Azereon's monologue - beyond even what would be expected - she even turns to mutely assess Scree as the woman talks, her only other movement the shaking of her hands as her tightly clenched fists turn white. Finally she stabs the air with a single finger as she turns back to Azereon, "It was one atomic. ONE. Not even a loving big one. You think an atomic caused that loving pyre on your way in? It was only meant to clear us out of the way so they could do their thing in private, barely even touched the other three quarters. If old Wilhelm is so loving interested in what's going on down here, maybe he should have come and loving asked when I sent a request for five regiments of guard and Sororitas support, instead of just sending me an over-eager saboteur and that loving box."

Catching her breath, she looks past her upraised finger for a moment at something in the ballroom then sweeps the hand wide to encompass the situation, "I was hoping this charade would provide enough background chatter and distractions for Mitternach to let me talk to the new arrival in peace, but that plan apparently didn't survive whatever the hell this circus you've brought with you is."

GOVERNOR MITTERNACH to GALLIA DE PRAETUS

Mitternach's pearly-white smile transitions into a stern, tight-lipped gaze so smoothly you would almost think it was a move he'd practiced a thousand times in a mirror. "My good lady, my father's only failing was his excessive restraint. My brothers, on the other hand, were both idiots who never served. They threw away half our fortune in their absurd belief that you could buy off the beast with bread and trinkets. Believe me, my dear, those people" He stabs at the floor with his empty glass, "are animals. They refuse to accept their Emperor-blessed place in the scheme of things and seek only to steal from their betters and protectors. We should grind them all into the dust and repopulate the planet with some people who'd appreciate it. I mean, they dared openly assault the Arbites." As he gesticulates wildly, he catches sight through the doorway of the arguing inquisitors and frowns.

"I bet they're talking about me. She always is. Please, excuse me." He drops his glass without care for where it lands and starts heading in their direction.

THE ENTOURAGE OF CARDINAL MORDECAI in the vicinity of FATHER BUTTS

As the young priest walks away like a man condemned, the Cardinal is swiftly engaged in a muttered conversation with three priests dressed in high quality robes and weilding autoquills. A minor scribe looks up from his dataslate and looks around before raising an eyebrow in Butts' direction.

NUKE DUKEMS in the semi-darkness

Nuke presses through the crowd, his imposing frame causes him to knock a few noted dignitaries, but the massive form of the heavy bolter he carries ensure he passes without issue. Many eyes see him head upstairs, but the dim lighting and camo-cloak he slings over himself on the way up allow him to settle in and observe unseen. It's mainly just a bunch of posh idiots dancing and functionaries serving nibbles, some military figures around the edge making small talk, until suddenly half his vision fades to black, to be replaced by a few lines of green text apparently floating in a void:

pre:
##WARNING: UNKNOWN BIOACTIVE AGENT HAS BEEN INGESTED##
               ##ISOLATION IN PROGRESS##
             ##PLEASE SPIT WHEN DIRECTED##
He feels a gentle build up of pressure in the region that used to house his sinuses.

EVERYONE (ELSE)

You see Mitternach pick up a new wine glass and approach the side corridor, calling out "Inquisitors! Do come and join us at the table, they're about to serve the most delightful fancies!"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

The Magos glances at the intense talk Folkar was having with the lady inquisitor, and turns glances at the drunk boy-governor that comes to talk in the side-corridor. He takes a few steps towards him, the magos's power armor whirring with every movement and his two faithful cyber-mastiffs at his side. He opens his external com-modulator with a small mechandendrite and a metallic and loud voice "++I DO BELIEVE THE TWO INQUISITORS AREN'T FINISHED WITH THEIR PRIVATE CONVERSATION, STEP BACK AND CONTINUE WITH YOUR SENSE-NUMBING LIQUID++". He fixes his stare at the governor but remains completely still. "I hope this finishes soon, Drako and Lizko haven't hunted in awhile, they'll rust soon by the current pace" he thinks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MITTERNACH to KORBATHOV

Mitternach walks as though he intends to go straight through Korbathov, but stops when the huge metal man doesn't move. "I'm sure whatever inquisitive secrets they have to whisper about can wait until after we're done."

Glancing around for a space, he balances his fresh glass of wine on the nearest available surface, the head of cyber-mastiff Drako, and claps his hands. "Come along Inquisitors, we really must complete this war council before the Cardinal has to leave."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jerry

"Throne's balls." Jerry squints at the clusterfuck as it tumbles end over end, onward and onward. "Cap'n Quint, I know your feelings on him, but could you assist me in distracting the governor for a few moments? I don't think the inquisitors are done talking and even if this is annoying in the short run, I reeealy don't want both of those two cranky at everyone including us." He hauls himself to his feet and approaches the governor. "Governor Mitternach, I know you're about to head into an important meeting, but the good Captain has informed me of how you already siezed control of the situation. Is there any other pointers you might be able to give me or the rest of the Inquisitors team as to best proceed here on your planet?"

Kissing rear end in an attempt to distract. Blather TN 53 (+/- Modifiers/assistance)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
RT QUINT to JERRY

Quint gives a quick grin, or possibly grimace, and points her lho cigar at the increasingly populated alcove. "I'm not risking my neck for him. Besides, this might be exactly what he needs. You go and enjoy yourself though."

Governor Mittenbach is tapping his foot and occasionally leaning to see around the form of Korbathov. He turns to Jerry, frowning. "Young man," (you are quite sure he is younger than you are) "you are quite correct. I am trying to have an important meeting, indeed a vital council of war, and I hope to do it before the Cardinal leaves and before it's so late they start serving amasec and cigars. You already have a cigar. Why are the subordinates smoking when I have not started? Put that out. What on Terra is this planet coming to. When guardsmen don't even follow the basic primer laws about smoking in formal situations what hope do we have? That's how we should best proceed in this situation, with discipline!"

As he starts ranting about how they could pacify this planet if only people would respect their station, your face is spattered with spittle and his heavily alcoholic breath. He frequently refers to "the guard" and "guardsmen", but you can see from the few, bright medals pinned on his chest that he was only in the PDF for a short period, and note several of his "facts" that are patently false.

You failed to persuade the captain to help, but Mittenbach is drunk enough to be easily distracted. I rolled you a difficult CL War test, and you passed well enough to know he was only ever a toy soldier and is talking out of his arse about military discipline.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

If this just happened many years ago when he was a small Handler serving the Precints of Scintilla he would undoubtedly strike the man down in anger. but the time for primal emotions was way past and would be undeserving of a Magos of the Adeptus Mechanicus. And besides he was currently serving an Inquisition, and cutting an Imperial Governor in half with his Omnissiah Power Axe would make their task harder.

Korbathov continues staring down at Mitternach, but uses one of his small tentacle mechadendrites to carefully pick the glass of wine off is Bullpup Cyber-mastiff and quickly throws it on the ground far away from them. "++PLEASE REFRAIN FROM DOING THAT. SOME OF THE TRACKING AND DETECTION MECHANISMS OF THE SUBRIQUE-PATTERN CYBER-MASTIFFS ARE VULNERABLE TO LIQUIDS AND QUITE EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE, SPECIALLY THE ONES OF THE SIMILARLY EXPENSIVE BULLPUP MODEL++" he says while the small man is blabbering about soldiers.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

She was backsliding. Folkar had seen it time and again while dealing with his subordinates; they went back to the one thing they weren't fully responsible for and made it their entire case. The inquisitor exhales sharply through his nose, his brow furrowing. "You aren't in the habit of listening, I can tell. So I'm going to restate this. One atomic is too loving many, and doesn't account for every other thing that has happened on this planet. You asked for so much that they gave you nothing. Your track record here made this a losing fight, and I'm here to turn that around. We cut off the head and those guard forces you wanted can handle the rest." He pauses a moment, parsing what Magdella had said. "What box?"

It's at this time that the poncy governor comes over, trying to take part in a conversation between his betters. Folkar glances over to him, putting his war face on. He watches his techie do what he can to hold him back, and Inquisitor Azereon is about to speak when Nuke's voice comes out over the comms. "Sarge, there's somethin' in the wine. Diagnostics from my implants say it's some sort of 'bioactive' agent." Folkar's brow furrows and he glances up towards Nuke's position, looking pensive. He turns back to Magdella, but speaks to Nuke as he presses at the base of his neck under his ear. "Good job, Dukems. Let your systems purge that, and heads up to everyone: don't drink the wine." He lowers his hand, casting a glance towards Mittenach, speaking very lowly. "One of my boys is telling me there's something in his wine. Keep it under your hat, something might be going down. Or someone may have spit in his drink. But right now, we work together. We can pick up on blame later, right now we have a world to stabilize."

Folkar gives her a grin before sweeping his cloak back, resting his hand on the hilt of one of his blades as he strolls forward, looking every bit the brass that he hates. He claps Korbathov on the shoulder, keeping his gaze directly on Mittenbach. "I apologize for the Magos, Lord Mittenbach; he and his are staunch followers of their own code, and if things have been set in a way, they must stay in that way." He smiles at the governor, before pulling a small device out of his pocket and frowning at it. "Magos, if you don't mind, I believe Nuke needs your assistance; looks like something's up with his implants." He shoves the device back into his pocket and smiles. "Now then, Lord Mittenbach. You were saying?"

Hopefully Korbathov can check the drink out and check on Nuke's systems to see what's up.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

Jerry stands there at spittle flies into his face. He keeps calm by picturing its something more pleasent, like remnants of a comrade hit by artillery or something. He also represses the urge to obey the cigar directive by extinguishing it on the governor's forehead. Then the warning about the wine. This was shaping up to be an amazing day.

For lack of anything better to do he stands near the doorway waiting for further instructions, including hopefully the inquisitors order to, I dunno, toss the governor in a sack and beat him with brickbats.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

The Magos simply moves out without even giving a nod, but he was glad to finally do something worthwhile and NOT stay in the presence of drunk fleshlings, he enters the ballroom again, making haste through the guests with his two mastiffs to where Nuke is watching the room. He looks at the archeotech parts of the stormtrooper's body "I wonder if Folkar will let me have his body to study if he ever falls in battle."

Korbathov pulls out his small but so useful tentacle dendrite and picks the glass of wine from his hands and lays it on the ground. "++LIZKO, HERE++" He opens his Constructer Interface and links his MIU in the Bloodhound Cyber-Mastiff, uploading “Vanes Out” Alpha protocols in the machine, suitable for the task at hand. The bloodhound starts sniffing the glass of wine for any detectable substance with his advanced olfactory augur array as it gets data.

Since it would take a few moments before information is retrieved, he moves to stand behind Nuke and interact with the machinery within, hopefully finding the current diagnostics in his arcane implants. "++DO HOLD STILL IF YOU CAN++" With the MIU connected, full concentration and a short prayer to the Omnissiah, the Magos starts his work in pursuit of information as his mind interacts with the wonders of the Machine.

Lizko the Bloodhound has 45 Per, Awareness+10, +10 Perception from “Vanes Out” Alpha protocols via Constructer Interface (page 77 Book of Judgement)
Total TN is 65, and he can re-roll if failed due to Olfactory Augur Array

Magos is gonna use FL:Archeotech to interact with NUKE DUKEM body and find out what his system analyzed. TN is 59, and I get an extra DoS if successful due to Soul of Iron

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce Scree

Joyce remains passive as the other Inquisitor gives her answer to her master Folkar. It would be up to him to decide what needed to be done, though she personally was not satisfied with the female Inquisitor's answer. If she had her way she would end her life right now, but Folkar was much more knowledgeable.

As the poncy man who was allegedly in charge starts to make a scene, Joyce lifts an eyebrow and gives a sidelong glace at her Master. "If you desire him eliminated, just give me the word, I would do so with much pleasure, even if he is not a wyrdling." She of course is in jest, but her ever flat delivery due to gothic being her second language makes the offer sound totally genuine.

No fancy skill checks, but remind me I want to teach everyone my native language as our inquisitor cell cypher, so I can go all code talker on this poo poo.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Lanny

Tapping his microbead for a moment, Lanny whispers a message to the magos and inquisitor both. "If the wine is poisoned, we may need a med team up here with detox. Should I begin rounding up the serving staff to try and locate the source?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
INQUISITOR MAGDELLA to FOLKAR AZEREON and JOYCE SCREE

Magdella nearly spits out a response, it's clear that whatever distaste Lord Inquisitor Wilhelm has for is reflected in her feelings about him. "I asked for what I needed, he sent whatever the gently caress he felt like. If he values the loving box so highly, why did he foist it on me? Why am I telling you things you should already know? We shouldn't talk here."

At mention of the wine, she frowns and looks over at the ballroom. "Everyone's been drinking the same wine. I've had a few glasses, Mittenbach's had a few bottles."

GOVERNOR MITTENBACH to FOLKAR AZEREON

"Inquisitor! At last! A fencing man, eh? I used to do a bit during my days in the Guard, kept the old reflexes high and the blood up." He thrusts out a hip and slaps the sword on it, "Come and join us at the council of war before the Cardinal runs off to give his midnight service at the theocratic whatsit. The general's been champing at the bit to tell us all the facts about our push-back in the Sanshwan reservoir."

Mittenbach seizes Folkar by the elbow and near drags him over to the table while waving at General Carnwath. The General visibly rolls his eyes and makes a motion at some of his aides who swiftly clear the table in front of him of clutter and lay out a few maps and large data-slates. He eyes Folkar warily, then gives him a curt nod, "Inquisitor. Lord General Carnwath, of the Domitia defence forces." He does not offer his hand.

Folkar can tell almost at a glance that the Governor was never in the Guard, probably barely in the PDF. He can also tell that his sword is a show-piece, the hilt decorated to the point of uselessness, a leather strap securing the blade in place. It's probably not even sharp.

MAGOS KORBATHOV and NUKE DUKEMS

The crowd parts in front of the Magos and his mastiffs like a school of fish avoiding a shark. Lizko notes a few trace detections of illicit substances as they pass, but nothing worth spending time on. Once upstairs, the powerful chameleonic properties of the cloak he wears mean nothing to the powerful noses of the cyber-mastiffs, and Nuke is located almost immediately.

Data from the auger unit trickles in as it begins to isolate the various chemicals in the wine, but from Nuke comes a barrage of data that is near incomprehensible. Slowly fighting back against the flow, Korbathov begins to manage and isolate the various streams of information the archaic systems are flooding him with, throttling some connections to naught and decoding/guessing at syntax to the point where he can at last begin to take control and query it with the results of the chemical scan. Once provided with the data, the resulting read-out is almost disappointing.

The wine contains a novel and powerful drug that acts as an extremely efficient immunostimulant. Nuke's gastric implants noticed the potential for their rejection and expelled the substance after only a few percent had been absorbed, but it likely would have done no damage.

On hearing the news, Nuke informs the Inquisitor to "Quietly test some of the other poo poo people are drinking, seize the waiting staff, sommelier, wine buyer and whoever else, find out which of these fucks has had any form of rejuv recently and if they've been drinking it".

<Hashutbot> goatface, vs 65 dog sniffing: 57 [1d100=57]
<Hashutbot> goatface, vs 59 jacking into nuke: 1 [1d100=1]

Ok, Korbathov has worked some magic on Nuke's implants, in the future he will have a +10 on any test involving them.

The drug is benign to anyone who hasn't recently had some major implant surgery or rejuve done. It's a good slow poison for anyone who has.

goatface fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 1, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, if anyone wishes to interrupt events at "Mittenbach seizes Folkar by the elbow and near drags him over to the table", feel free.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Soloman Grey

Soloman continues to do as he's told and stand away from the group, scanning the crowd lightly and not really watching the goings on of the actual talking party. When the idiot begins manhandling the Inquisitor the Psyker lets out a sighed litany and steps forward, he doesn't say anything, just stalks nearer the group and stands, hands on the hilts of his blades, ready.

malikial fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 1, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

Korbathov snaps out from being amazed at the archeotech components that compose Nuke's body to activate his internal communicator with the rest of the Inquisition cell, while reading the chemical scan data inside his head. "++IT SEEMS NUKE'S BODY DETECTED THE PRESENCE OF A POWERFUL IMMUNOSTIMULANT. MOST CURIOUS. HOW SHOULD WE PROCEED NOW?++" He says as he disengages his MIU from both Nuke and cyber-mastiff and leaves the place so the cyborg could continue his designated task. He tries to avoid scattering the others nobles again and walks into the place where their psyker was standing, and he orders Lizko and Drako to sit.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

*Interrupt!*

WELP, and there he goes. Jerry makes another attempt to stop the inevitable from happening and looks around desperately for another teamate to help him out. As the drunk shithead moves to interrupt the Inquisitors, Jerry firmly yet nonviolently grabs him by the shoulder. "Yes governor!" Jerry extinguishes his own cigar like he was 'ordered' to, just to make this go easier. "If you'll follow me, I'll guide you right to the meeting while they," he glances over to Mag and Folk, "Prepare the information to best suit your needs." Jerry begins to do that drunk carry where you're trying to move a dude who can't decide whether to say dumb poo poo or fall over and puke.

Deceive(?) at TN 73 before mods

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 2, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

With Jerry running interference, Folkar is able to turn back towards Magdella, pressing his bead down and hissing. "What the hell is an immunowhatver? Belay that, do not define that, just tell me what the hell it means for us. Small words, squint. Small words." He looks back over his shoulder at the governor and Jerry, squinting as he tries to think while simultaneously scanning the party for anyone suspicious, though he knows that, in a party full of blue bloods, he couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting someone suspicious or planning something illicit. "Lady Magdella, forgive me, but right now is not the time to point fingers. We can continue our pissing match later."

Folkar pauses and turns back to Magdella, his eyebrows raised. "Immunostimulant. Do you know that word? Whatever's in the drink is one of those." He didn't know how long Jerry could hold a raging drunk at bay, and he didn't know what the chemical would mean for the inquisitor he was sent here to support, let anyone else in the group. He turns again, his brow stormy. Folkar obviously did not like this at all.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce Scree

At the metal priest's warnings about something in the drinks, Joyce is glad that she avoided any intoxicating drinks. She always wished to avoid clouding her mind when on mission, which lately it appears she is on mission round the clock.

She was about to use her remote whisperer device to ask the metal man exactly the dangers, when master Folkar beat her to it.

While waiting for an answer, she decides to take action. As an interrogator, she was also the inquisitor's second in command. As he was busy talking to his peer, she took command, "Jerry keep trying to distract the governor. Metal priest, please report on the poison as soon as you can. Also have your metal dogs try to sniff out the source of the poison if you can. Everyone else be ready to react incase something happens."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

It took Korbathov a few moment to understand what they just asked of him, wasn't he clear enough? Then again he always forgot the fleshlings didn't have the same extensive knowledge as he did, even an Inquisitor, though he did expect it from the feral woman, that for some reason always left him uncomfortable when near.

With some annoyance he opens his internal comm again. "++THE SUBSTANCE DETECTED IN THE LIQUID IS DANGEROUS TO FLESHLINGS UNDER REJUV TREATMENTS AND RECENT IMPLANTS OPERATIONS, WHICH LOOKING AT THE PRESENT ROOM SHOULD ACCOUNT FOR APPROXIMATELY 87.85% OF THE POPULATION IN THESE SURROUNDINGS. OTHERWISE THIS SUBSTANCE IS HARMLESS TO HUMANS.++"

Afterwards he agrees with Joyce's advice and starts the tracking/searching protocols of the Bloodhound again and leaves the psyker's side, starting his task regardless of how many weird looks he gets from the nobility of the planet.

Again:

Lizko the Bloodhound has 45 Per, Awareness+10, +10 Perception from “Vanes Out” Alpha protocols via Constructer Interface (page 77 Book of Judgement)
Total TN is 65, and he can re-roll if failed due to Olfactory Augur Array

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
GOVERNOR MITTERNACH to JERRY

As Jerry grasps his shoulder, the governor turns to see which of his storied associates has come to join the conversation, and instead sees the face of this.. this flunky who has at least now put out his traitorous cigar. The smile on his face is replaced by angry disgust as he struggles against the grip and screams, "You dare lay your hands upon my august personage? I should have you SHOT, if not worse, you filthy peasant! Lieutenant Hobst! Arrest this man!"

The room falls silent, and Hobst - a tall, thin man, balding despite his few years - looks panicked as hundreds of eyes turn in his direction. The thought of arresting an inquisitorial agent is pretty terrifying, and the thought of doing it while their superior is in the same room is enough to make him visibly shake. Trembling fingers go to the holstered weapon on his hip, and as they fumble to undo the clasp he casts a pleading, apologetic look around at the various Inquisitorial agents.

"Mitternach!" The Lord General's bellow is parade-ground perfect, "You are drunk. Come over here, sit down, and shut up before someone makes your house even smaller." Mitternach freezes in place, his face turns deathly pale, and he seems to almost shrink in standing. Slowly, he turns to Jerry and mutters an apology before scuttling over to the table and sitting down in his personal throne.

Hashutbot> goatface, vs 63 to not make the drunk noble mad: 70 [1d100=70]
For reference, that was +10 for being drunk, -20 for you manhandling him. He is currently cowed at the table, next to the Lord General. Hobst is muttering prayers of thanks to the Emperor.

INQUISITOR MAGDELLA to FOLKAR AZEREOTH

Amusement at the scene playing out around the table carries into Magdella's voice, "I'm not a doctor, I just employ a lot. The only immuno I know is immunosuppressant and I'm already... Oh."

She falls silent for a moment, her plastic face maintaining its faint smile, revealing nothing. When she speaks again it's almost a whisper, "I thought it was just hot in here and I was a bit flushed from the wine. poo poo."

MAGOS KORBATHOV and CYBER-MASTIFF LIZKO

Reconfigured to preferentially detect the substance, Lizko begins tracking. There is a faint trail along the path that Nuke took to get upstairs, his breath alone leaving enough. Once down among the guests and waiters with trays of nibbles, its like a thin fog around everyone. As wine waiters pass it's a different story, the fresh bottles they carry leave powerful trails in the air.

The wine waiters look pretty unsettled about being approached and sniffed by a robot dog.

<Hashutbot> goatface, vs 65 bloodhounding: 16 [1d100=16]
<Hashutbot> goatface, vs 45 hard bloodhounding: 78 [1d100=78]
<Hashutbot> goatface, vs 45 hard bloodhounding reroll: 71 [1d100=71]

You know it's in all of the wine, you don't know much more than that

goatface fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 3, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

The inquisitor nods, lowering his hand from his ear. He looks a bit grim. "Yeah, Korbathov just filled me in. It'll only affect those who have had recent implants and rejuv treatments. So it seems like it was aimed at you specifically." He shakes his head, looking back at the room behind him. "Mittenbach, the Rogue Trader, and the Lord General. Have any of them had implants? Rejuvenation treatment?" Folkar's mind races. They had an unknown poison that would do Emperor knows what, with no idea how many people affected.

Folkar didn't like those odds.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce Scree

Joyce eyes as the cyber mastiffs begin mingling in the crowd and are drawn to the waiters carrying glasses of wine to the guests. She turns to Folkar, "Master, if the Inquisitor is indeed the target, permission to treat this as a hostile situation? We should get Magdella out of here and treated as quickly as possible while some of us go in back and try to find who is poisoning the wine before they escape. Shall we proceed on that front, or would you prefer not to make a scene?" The feral worlder keeps idling toggling the safety on her spectre while waiting for a reply.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
INQUISITOR MAGDELLA to FOLKAR AZEREON and anyone else in close earshot

"Only if the Trader has a suite on-board her ship, there's still only the one facility on the planet that can..." Magdella's voice trails off and she sighs, "You don't know about any of this, do you? Must be an astropath, or one of their staff..."

She trails off again, her eyes fixed on the ceiling in thought, then clicks her tongue, "I wasn't even planning to be here until Mitternach demanded you came here first, about four hours ago. This isn't about me, Inquisitor. This is about the Pure trying to kill Him." She points over at the gaggle of priests clustered around the Cardinal.

"Stupid fuckers don't even know he doesn't drink."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Soloman Grey

As the situation around him falls into order and is contained Soloman slowly falls back, giving Joyce a not as he does so. He also places his wine glass on the nearest table, not wanting to test whatever it has been polluted with any more than he has.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

Korbathov gets a sinking feeling when he analyzes the readings Lizko just received from sniffing around. If ALL the wines bottles were poisoned the situation was bad. He walks to the center of the ballroom, opens his external voice modulator and raises it to the maximum volume. "++ATTENTION FLESHLINGS OF THE ROOM! IF ANY OF YOU ARE UNDER REJUVENAT TREATMENT AND/OR RECENTLY RECEIVED MAJOR IMPLANTS, CEASE CONSUMING THE WINE PRESENTLY BEING SERVED! THERE IS AN EXTREMELY HARMFUL SUBSTANCE IN IT IF YOU HAVE THOSE CONDITIONS! I RECOMMEND MEDICAE ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY!++"

He then closes the modulator and remains still as ever, confident he just did a good job, his cyber-mastiffs saving the day once again.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

Folkar glances back towards the Cardinal and nods, turning back to face Magdella. He adjusts his cuffs, trying not to smile; things were going well now. "Makes sense. Well, we've got the advantage, then. They don't know that we know, so we can approach this with subtlety and ta-"

And then the Magos forgot any definition of the word tact. Folkar spins on his heels, his eyes wide. Right, announce everyone is poisoned, that's just loving great. Folkar tries to keep his cool, pressing his microbead. "Lanny! Joyce! OMEONE decided a little bit of confusion would work in our favor and no one loving else's, I want you two so far up the cardinal's rear end you can tell me what he had for breakfast yesterday, and then get him over here!" He glances across the room, sneering, his finger off of the microbead.

"Just great." He depresses it again. "Solomon, do your thing. See if you can use your brain poo poo to find out who dropped the poison. Nuke! Keep an eye on the crowd, watch for people that aren't Lanny and Joyce headed towards the cardinal. Call out incoming."

"Jerry, you get the other three VIPs over to this corridor. We're extracting."
He releases the comm and sighs, gritting his teeth. "Well, this is a good start to my career, don't you think?"

GOLD STAR FOR FRAJAQ

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Magos Korbathov in the middle of a ballroom

The room, so recently recovered from the excitement at the head table, falls silent once more. The silence is broken by a few barked laughs, and then comes a cascade of chatter, angry glares, a variety of foul gestures, and a few shouts of "Bad show!" as some of the young ladies dancing flee the room sobbing. One elderly lady levers herself from her chair and hobbles over to Korbathov to look him in the eye, despite hers barely reaching his chest. Finally, she throws her glass of wine over him and spits "That's for my Gerald. Making jokes at a time like this!" before a few uniformed men arrive and hurry her away.

The top table.

The table for the war conference is surrounded by a cloud of muttered curses and officers shaking their heads forlornly as they pace up and down. A lot of them give dirty looks at the various inquisitorial figures and then turn away to continue their conversation. Mitternach is failing to contain a fit of the giggles, even with the Lord General giving him a look that could freeze stars.

Magdella has her hand over her mouth and is just staring at Korbathov.

The cluster of priests around the Cardinal

Some of the priests are looking around the room in confusion. The Cardinal does not seem at all bothered and is continuing his conversation with a highly animated note-taker.

goatface fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 3, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

This is just getting better and better. Time to collect VIPs then. Jerry heads on over to the least insufferable of them all. "Cap'n Quint, as the Magos just said, the wine's been poisoned, and while I know its not polite to ask if a lady's had Rejuv, the poison is keyed to attack people with it. We need to get you out of here!" He puts on his helmet and draws his long arm. "I apologize for getting us off to a rough start, but I'm sure you're familiar with how often these kinda events turn ultraviolent."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Around the top table

As party members begin to move to their designated positions, Jerry and Nuke see a flicker of out-of-place movement among the crowd around the top table. Despite both of his hands currently waving around in front of his face, someone is trying to draw the pistol that Lieutenant Hobst failed to re-secure in his dress uniform holster.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Grox fucker..." Jerry draws a bead. "PUT THE PIECE DOWN OR DIE. HOBST, pickpocket, on your right!"

Shooting the guy going for the gun if he doesn't comply. BS 51+halfaim+10+accurate+10+shortrange+10+Laser+10=BS 91. Don't have my books with me but I think this thing is 1d10+4 pen 1 or 2, accurate. I also have deadeye shot and marksman/sharpshooter, so if I have to make a called shot due to difficulties, I can make it at no penalty.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hobst is suddenly dragged around to his left as the thief, now visible as a waiter, turns his back to the already firing Jerry. The shot connects solidly, tearing a rent across the the man's ribcage, but it is not enough to stop him snapping off a shot of his own in the direction of the cardinal as he screams "For the pure!".

His shot misses by a long way, instead striking a more lowly priest in the stomach. As he moves to better balance himself through the pain, Hobst catches him sharply under the jaw with an elbow and the man drops under the press of half a dozen assorted officers.

The ballroom descends into screams and civilians running wild, people might be getting trampled down there, it's hard to tell. The only island of calm is a ring surrounding Korbathov and his dogs, the terror of the situation still not enough to make people approach.

You put the guy in crit, he's been swarmed.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

poo poo.

Folkar barely gives Magdella a glance as he sprints out of the corridor, drawing his blades. Everything was happening too fast. If the cardinal was the main target, then the cardinal needed to be covered. "Father Butts, I'm headed your way. Start escorting the cardinal and his entourage. Jerry, get everyone together, we're going to collapse towards the rear exit. Eyes and ears open, there's likely more than one in here. Rest of you, crowd and damage control, Nuke stay as our eyes in the sky. One of you get medical attention to the priest!"

The inquisitor shoulders his way through the panicking ballroom, uttering oaths and curses at the people in his way. The swords seem to help in getting people clear, and he keeps glancing from side to side, making sure no one else is making an approach on the cardinal. This poo poo wasn't what he expected. He doesn't even give a thought to Mittenbach or the others; the target here was the cardinal, if Magdella was to be believed. He gives the idea that she might not BE believed a momentary thought, but presses on.

Headed to the Cardinal to cover him.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Lanny

"Securing the Cardinal, clear us a path and find a safe room." The former arbitrator knew his job, and knew it well. He was supposed to keep people alive. The Inquisitor by default, otherwise anyone the Inquisitor indicated. Nicety didn't come into the picture, not when assassins were around.

His shield was already in his hand by the time the first shot range out, and his slow walk, hampered by the mingled guests, became an all out run. Men and women were tossed aside like ragdolls as he forced his way through the crowds. One unlucky woman, directly in his path, was even knocked down directly in front of him as he litterally ran over her, stepping on her chest with a sickening crunch as he made his way up to the now-dead assassin.

There wasn't any time to waste. With poison in all the wine, he couldn't rely in the one assassin being the only one here. Grabbing the cardinal by an arm, the inquisitorial bodyguard began to drag the shocked and confused man towards the nearest exit.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Butts

Before Butts manages to get a word in with the cardinal, everything goes to poo poo and someone starts shooting. Butts instinctively assumes it to be Nuke, until realising that someone was shooting at the cardinal. Before he can react, Lanny barges in and starts dragging the cardinal away. "Your holiness, it appears this ruckus is caused by someone trying to kill you. Inquisitor Azereon has ordered us to make sure you make it out of here safely." He looks at Lanny manhandling the old man. "Lanny, I'm sure he'd also prefer if we did it without injuring him ourselves." He draws his sword and looks around. "Do you even know where you're dragging him to?"

Oh god FireSight what are you doing.

Waci fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 4, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cardinal Mordecai & associates to Father Butts and Lanny

Cardinal Mordecai stands resting against a large wooden container, one side covered in small doors which can be seen to hide piles of scrolls, tubes of incense, censers, emergency medical supplies and the like, all the little tools a high cleric of the Imperium might need. Priests surround the man, their bodies pressed together to shield him from harm while two figures are kneeling over their comrade who has taken a gut wound. A final member of their group, his robed fringed in red, is doing something to contents of the cabinet.

The Cardinal frowns as Lanny smashes his way through the ring of priests, and says something that is lost in the din of panic as the Crusader tries to drag him away. His defenders pull back, broken noses and bruised ribs unable to stop them repeatedly shouting "The Cardinal must not be moved, the Emperor will protect." Lanny has might, but they have numbers, and there is a momentary deadlock.

A sharp crack and a blue flash of light brings it to an end. The priests, Lanny, and Butts all stand within a crackling blue sphere of light. The Cardinal smiles and bends to Lanny's ear to call over the noise, "We knew measures would have to be taken after the last two fellows. Batteries only last about 20 minutes or they'd have it on all the bloody time."

Anyone with any experience in that sort of thing, the cardinal is currently surrounded by a Power Field. Like you would find on a very fancy tank.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Butts

When the power field activates, Butts starts speaking into his comm-bead. "Inquisitor, the cardinal is safe inside a power field. Not a refractor field, an actual emplacement-style power field." It would be enough to keep him safe from a lone madman with a handgun. A madman with a knife, though, would be a different matter. Power fields stopped gunshots, not people. He looks at Lanny. The arbitrator would no doubt have realised the same. Butts keeps his sword in his hands, keeping an eye out for anyone trying to enter the power field without permission from either the cardinal or the inquisitor.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"You heard the man, roll it up and head out people, the bar just called Time." Jerry gathers up the assigned individuals and clears a way to the exit, keeping an eye out the entire time for any additional surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce Scree

Joyce nods a silent acknowledgement at Folkar at the order to secure the Sun Priest, but before she can act there is a mad-man taking guns and shooting. The killer acts on instinct, drawing her Spectre and taking a knee. She speaks into her electronic whisper device, "As I am already here with the two inquisitors by the exit I will maintain position until the cell can collapse on this location."

She then quickly dons her photovisors. She switches the Spectre to "Shotgun mode" and fires a shot at the ground 15 meters in front of her before shouting, "ANYONE WHO GETS CLOSER TO ME THAN THIS WILL BE FIRED UPON! FIND ANOTHER EXIT!" She then switches the weapon to the silenced "autogun mode".

Overwatch, gonna shoot anyone who gets in range that isn't a cell member, the cardnial, or other VIPS. test is 62+10(close range)+20 (full auto)=92

• Locked thread