Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Jerry

After wrapping up that last bit of investigation, Jerry boards the shuttle. He looks away from Joyce playing her little game. For the life of him he never understood why people thought torture was that effective, people say just about anything to get it to stop. Then again, this girl gave him the creeps on a visceral level. The psyker was more consciously terrifying, but she bothered him somehow on a primal level.

Later, after walking into the hotel, Jerry whistles in approval, once situation with a room, he drops his duffel, removes his armor, cleans it and the rifle (only fires one round, but still, residue, etc) and restocks his supply of liquor and see-gars while waiting for further instructions.

When/if they came, Jerry waits until Inquisitor Folkar has a moment. "Inquisitor, sir? Here's the information Father Butts, the Magos, and myself were able to locate in the bombmaker's lair." Jerry explains the situation and what was found. "With your permission, I intend to start canvassing the lower ends of this planet's society to follow up on these leads and for details on what's going on there, especially names, factions, and etc. Should you approve, I would like to request the ability to look through Inquisitor Madella's files for any pertinent information, as well as to attempt to get a bigger picture of what's going on here. In any event, what would you have me do, sir?"

Assuming he gets the go-ahead, Jerry lets Lanny do his thing at the Precinct before approaching Judge Serki, "Sir? My name's Daniels, I handle the Inquisitor's business on the opposite side of society from the Justicar. If at all possible, I need the contact info for some of your undercover men or snitches in the underhives. I need to start piecing things together from the bottom up. If you or someone else can give me a briefing into the customs and structure of the local scum and working class, this would make it far easier for all of us."

Buying Decadent Mastery, so I can be a rockstar. Anyways, after asking the arbites for the names and contact info for any of their undercover guys I can contact in the field, and if the Inquisitor agrees, Jerry is going to disappear into the underhives and attempt to get a better, detailed view of what's going on in the local underworld and worker's classes, as well as for leads on who tried to bomb the shuttle.

Possibly relevant skills/talents are: Carouse TN 60, Awareness TN 53(73 w/auspex), Inquiry TN 63, Peer, Underworld and Workers, Disguise TN 73 (83 w/peer) and a whole bunch of stuff, take your pick, he knows something about just about every skill.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Oh poo poo I forgot this even existed due to my boss taking a 2 week vacation which meant I worked a lot of hours. I am here but I might have to bow out, poo poo crazy. I think I need to stop joining games until i am not suddenly GO TO GUY everything something at work breaks or happens....

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
Nuke down loads his heavy bolter and armor at the hotel and goes to the store in his uniform, black fatigues with a tiger stripe style patterning with greys and poo poo. He goes to the px to get some bubblegum and soda before stopping by the Arbites seeing if he can get about 600 rounds of inferno bolts for his ammo supply while on planet. Finally he goes to the local officers club to get his beers cheaper before getting bored of that scene and going in to see the e club. Nuke carries his Sacristan Bolt Pistol with him at all times and also bitches in between rounds about "human being PDF trying to kill him when he was defending them from snipers, the loving cowards." He might even ask some of the Arbites in detail about this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
JOYCE and a terrorist

The man shivers slightly in the cool air, and he shifts his weight from foot to foot a few times. There is a pause before he answers, but after a few sobs and a small croak he clears his throat, "My colleagues are in the glorious heavens, our movement is based on Holy Terra, we... we carry out our crusade in the light of him... him on his throne."

He sniffs a few times, the words catching in his throat, but you can tell that this is a line drilled into him to deliver if captured. It was probably presented to him as a powerful line that would sway his enemies' minds, but to you it sounds like something designed to anger people to the point they would shoot him before he said anything worthwhile.

60 vs 92. 3 DoS means you learn while not learning!

JERRY and the Judge

Jerry finds Judge Serki in his offices, a collection of rooms that would probably be richly decorated if it weren't for the files, images and maps covering every available surface and a lot of the floor. He frowns at the request as though he is about to reject it, but then casts a look around the room and sighs. "Ordinarily, I would not give out information concerning Arbite contacts. The situation is, however, not ordinary."

He unlocks a draw and digs out a slim manilla file. It contains a headshot, contact details, notes, code phrases and more, much of it hand written. "Philomina Metro is a factory administrator in Hive stack Dvylika. She manages the purchasing of material for, and distribution of, Guard-standard bedrolls. A huge amount of the Domitian tithe is traditionally basic kit. Bedrolls, bad weather gear, mess kits. All the stuff a guardsman needs that isn't body armour or weaponry. She was positioned where she could talk to the workers on the lines, transportation workers, factory administrators and even the occasional noble. She should be able to get you safely introduced to most levels of the lower hive."

"The standard report on the structure of the lower hive society, and all major gangs will be made available to you. I'll have a secretary send it over on a datapad, it's about 1800 pages"

55 on a command test (it seemed right at the time) vs 73 to tell the Arbites to give you contact information, 74 on the vs 83 boosted inquiry test gets you a long-term informant in a hive. Not this one, one that is about an hour away, far enough that you can get an unbiased view. She can get you access to most sorts of contacts you think should exist.

NUKE DUKEMS in the Arbite bars

The Quartermaster in the Arbite armoury looks into the glowing eyes of Duke Nukem and nots in satisfaction. "A good choice. I hear you wasted a squad of the PDF, they deserve no less. We don't keep many bolter supplies around, rarely use them. I'll go and have a look."

He disappears into the rows of shelves and returns after a few moments carrying three disappointingly small boxes that he sets down on a table. "You're out of luck. This is my entire stock of heavy," he opens one box to reveal a 'belt' of 6 rounds. "We don't have a local production line, and the cogs get really pissed if you start modifying bolt shells without their say-so. You might be able to get them to make you some, but they don't come out much these days." He opens the other two boxes to show some pistol sized ammo and shotgun shells. "I've got a few hundred of the little ones in stock, and a near limitless supply for shotgun. We make those on site."

The officers club is almost empty, a few Arbites sit at a small table, one with the million yard stare of a man who's just done something they wish they didn't have to. They're not very forthcoming in information, but encourage Nuke down to the Enforcer's bar. There he finds a buzz of activity, a few hundred men and women in a large room with a huge bar on one wall, cheap beer that's even cheaper when the barstaff won't meet your eye. The Enforcers are only too happy to tell Nuke about their problems. He learns that the PDF, for the last few hundred years at least, has been turned into an old-boys' club. The younger sons of noble houses, military enthusiasts and the bloodthirsty idle rich all taking part in a giant game of soldiers. Officer positions and even choice roles like 'stormtrooper' and 'sharpshooter' are often hereditary, or bought and sold like stock. The civilian population is almost completely unarmed and so they're not used to any actual resistance when they deploy.

The Arbites hate them. They're a bunch of egotistical snobs who think that laws should only apply to the little people. Cover-ups are an almost constant part of life, and they ruin investigations and crime scenes by ignoring protocol and feeling honour-bound to provide airtight alibis for anyone who owns property. If one noble paid for an assassin to kill their rival, they act as though only the assassin has in any way committed a crime, and only then if they didn't like the victim. The arrival of a Justicar has got everyone excited that maybe they can finally make a move on the upper hives and clean the place up a bit.

Yeah, not much in the way of heavy rounds, but he'll give you all his stock of pistol ones.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Butts

When Joyce takes the prisoner outside for a chat, Butts sends a quick message to Joyce's commbead, hoping the interrogator hadn't turned it off. "If the waiter's still alive when you're done, I could take a minute or two with him too, look into the ecclesiastical angle on all this. The Pure Form lot are weird, but this still seems out of character." Of course, the captured terrorist being alive after she was done with him was a rather big if. Doubting that he'd ever end up talking to the terrorist, Butts heads off to ask some of Magdella's adepts about the unspecified relic. If Magdella hadn't requested it, whoever was behind this had to ahve some reason to want it on the planet.

Pushing the big red button with Do Not Push written all over it and asking about The Box.

Someone should look into the difference between the requests Magdella sent and the requests the Inquisition received. We should also alert Lord Inquisitor Wilhelm that if Magdella's telling the truth about that, someone in either Magdella's cell or somewhere else in the chain of command is a traitor. I'd do it, but Butts isn't really a paperwork sort of person, and with 15 per and no investigation skill he isn't exactly Sherlock either.

Spending xp on Divine Guidance, The Passion, and Inquiry. Sheet on page 1 updated accordingly.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce

Joyce smirks slightly as the prisoner gives his response, "In my line of work, we call that an invitation, as in an invitation to get shot," The feral blank reaches behind her and grabs her excrutiator's kit. "I am willing to bet they told you that you'd die for the cause, to not get captured, and if you were, to say that over and over until the arbites deliver the Emperor's Justice to you."

Joyce opens the kit so the man can see all the tools, "Now I come from a primitive world, I don't know what most of these things are, but I know what they do. It is an odd assortment of things with which to cause, or magnify, pain. Now I'll let you in on a secret," she turns him around so he can see the rope that she tied to his restraints that would have saved him from a fall, "I am in no way interested in your death. I am not here to met out justice. I will not give up like an arbites after a day of interrogation and execute you."

She sits him down on the edge of the landing pad and sits next to him. She grabs her rifle, "I am a sniper by trade. Sniping involves days and days of waiting. I am a very patient woman. I will take my time with you. Now you can either answer my questions now, or we can see how long it takes for you to start to beg me to let you jump off this pad."

Joyce stands up and kicks him off the pad. As he dangles there from the shock, she shouts down, "Now tell me where it is that you and your fellow zealots would meet!"

Edited post due to misunderstanding. I think we're still on action II, unless actually throwing him off counts as "light torture". Personally I find torture a heinous war crime, but in 40k, well I'll repost the "Nine Actions" from the Eisenhorn books:

I Action: Verbal interrogation of suspect. No harm done.
II Action: Threat of force and/or descriptions of further actions. No harm done.
III Action: Light physical torture, followed by verbal interrogation.
IV Action: Light physical torture, psychological manipulation.
V Action: Psychic Interrogation, light physical torture and verbal interrogation if victim still sane.
VI Action: Sensory deprivation. Prior actions following if victim still alive and/or sane.
VII Action: Intensive psychic interrogation.
VIII Action: Use of psycho-chemical drugs.
IX Action: Unrelenting physical and psychic torture. Interrogation optional.

Werix fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 20, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
At the armory
"You got a bolt gun in the back? Those pistol ones slot into a bolt gun just as well as a pistol. Same caliber. Figure if you rig it up with a belt feed it could work out just the same. Thank you by the way."

At the club
"Hmm sounds like the PDF needs to be purged at a leadership level. I will present my findings to my superior, thank you." Nuke might mention what he learned of the PDF/Arbites relationship to Azereon but not in such an extreme tone. He goes back to the officer club to find out what the deal was with that one officer, the one with the thousand yard stare.

At the rejuve clinic
Nuke rolls into Dr Bataan's office, ignoring the receptionist, the line, whatever. He holds a picture of him back in the guard with his squadmates, Father Butts and Inquisitor Azereon included when he was just a sergeant. He has a simple request. "Fix my loving face doc. Please."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Werix posted:

Welp, I tried the one thing I'm good at and it did nothing, so I guess I'll just hang around until I get to shoot someone.

Woah woah woah, who said you were done? I thought these were just the opening shots in a more lengthy battle. The guy has made his big play, he's thrown out his "they told me to say this at the darkest point" card. He's shaking and sobbing and practically begging to be pressured further, maybe pushed and caught before he drops a few times. What do you want to know beyond where he and his people are based (which he might not actually know)?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

goatface posted:

Woah woah woah, who said you were done? I thought these were just the opening shots in a more lengthy battle. The guy has made his big play, he's thrown out his "they told me to say this at the darkest point" card. He's shaking and sobbing and practically begging to be pressured further, maybe pushed and caught before he drops a few times. What do you want to know beyond where he and his people are based (which he might not actually know)?

okay didn't know this was going to be an extended test scenario, I'll edit my post appropriately this evening after work, but the TN is still going to be 96.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We can just stick with the 3 DoS you have if you're ok with that, it's enough for him. Ask your questions, if you're not sure what exactly to ask, give a general overview of the types of things you want to know.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

goatface posted:

We can just stick with the 3 DoS you have if you're ok with that, it's enough for him. Ask your questions, if you're not sure what exactly to ask, give a general overview of the types of things you want to know.
oh I know what to ask, that won't be a problem.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

When Magos and his cyber-mastiffs finally arrived at the opulent hotel for some brief rest, he took the most isolated room possible and did his routine check on everything. All his weapons, mechanical systems, and more importantly his loyal and faithful Cyber-Mastiffs are all checked rigorously for any damage and Machine Spirits calmed and reasoned with. Particular attention was given to Drako the Bullpup since he was in an actual combat far away from him.

Satisfied with the results, Korbathov heads out of his room, as always followed by his cyber-mastiffs, and wonders what he would do now. This current task of theirs had so much to investigate, but that's why the Inquisition asked Korbathov to help. He had already seen Joyce, Jerry and Nuke head out to do their own part, and so must he.

But... this time the curiosity in his mind prevailed instead of going after a clear lead. When he heard about this "Relic" of Magdella's in the safety deposit box room he couldn't help himself and starts heading toward there. Much to his surprise Butts was interested in it too. While he of course preferred to have the relic all for himself to poke and study and research, such was not the day an Inquisition cell worked. He approaches his fellow agent and opens his external communicator. "++IT SEEMS YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS RELIC. SO DO I. IN THE NAME OF THE OMNISSIAH AND WITH MY AUTHORITY AS A MAGOS SERVING THE INQUISITION I WILL ANALYZE AND SEE WHAT IS THERE TO BE SEEN ABOUT THIS OBJECT++"

Going to take a look at this unwanted relic too.

relevant skills: Tech Lore Mastery (Chem-Use/Tech-Use/Medicae/Demolitions)
Forbidden Lore (Archeotech) (due to Soul of Iron I get +1 DoS on any test with it)
I have combi-tools and best quality Augur Array if it helps anything

Bought Tech Lore Mastery for 500xp

frajaq fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 21, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JOYCE with a guy

There's not much of a tussle of wits to be had here. The man had some conditioning to prepare him for his role, some of which was designed to handle questioning, but the prospect of "failing and then surviving to be captured" was obviously not a major concern. After some stops and starts, pointing out a few obvious contradiction in his statements, he's essentially a sobbing wreck. In his head he was meant to be overthrowing the debauched rich and saving the planet, not captured and interrogated by the inquisition.

He babbles about the meetings he went to at a starch hydration facility at the bottom of Hive Tridjetydy, just a half dozen of them being given some injections and watching some films, and then being lectured by a person he can't remember. He seems quite confused by this, but he can't explain it. Any time he tries to picture them in his head he comes up blank. He can't even tell you their gender.

You have a meeting location, a description of some fairly common hypno-indoctrination methods, and a person who obviously did not want to be remembered.

NUKE DUKEMS in the rejuve clinic

The Doctor, interrupted in the middle of a meal, sighs and reaches for his emergency bag. He glances at the photo Nuke hands him, and then looks at his massively disfigured face. After a minute, he takes out a pair of complex looking goggles and peers closer, humming to himself. Eventually he leans back and whistles as he removes the goggles. "I could, given enough time, attempt to grow replacement tissue such that you would resemble your old self. Attachment would be a slow process, you'd have to spend some time in the hyperbaric chamber currently occupied by Inquisitor Magdella, and I'm not sure it would even take over this." he leans forward and taps the exposed metal of Nuke's face with a finger. "That, to be frank, worries me. It's more advanced than anything I have had the pleasure of working with and seems to have replaced much of your skeleton and altered other tissues. I'm not even sure you need skin."

Decide what you want the doc to do, as we talked about. You can get a common bolter from the evidence locker. The thousand yard stare arbite isn't anyone significant. They were engaged on a routine drugs bust, instead discovered a "factory" where a gang was trying to produce Ogryns by exposing pregnant women to massive doses of regular and warp-tainted mutagens. They saw some things men are not meant to, had to administer a lot of the Emperor's Mercy. It was their first time.

BUTTS and KORBATHOV in the hotel vault

The hotel vault, home to the safety deposit boxes, is now guarded by two layers of blast doors, with a team of arbites on the outside and a pair of multi-las tarantula turrets on the inside. The acolytes are led through by a ranking member of the Inquisitorial staff, into a small room now made even smaller by the presence of a reinforced table with a crate on top, and a mono-task servitor stood staring into it. Fat power cables snake across the floor into the crate and connect to a small, matt-grey box. A few other connectors are positioned on the sides, but the box is otherwise featureless.

"The documentation is over there, but I'll give you the brief. 'Guidance' was recovered from a human splinter civilisation some four millennia ago. It is much older than that, almost certainly a product of the Dark Ages. The box, while only 12cm to a side, weighs 1128kg, making it heavier than it has any right being. Magos Pluth in M37 theorised that this was only a portion of it, and the majority occupies other dimensions. It is resistant to all forms of damage up to and including point-blank melta fire. I am assured that it has no warp presence." The aide looks at the two acolytes, and then continues.

"When it becomes primed, the relic emits a soft white light - the servitor is here to watch for that or any other change. At that point you may describe to the relic a course of action you plan to take, by talking to it. We do not know who taught it Gothic, we do not know if anyone taught it Gothic. It will then advise you to proceed or encourage you to reconsider. No details, just 'carry on' or 'stop immediately'. The decision seems primarily based on the likelihood of the action resulting in a local warp incursion. The light will then fade, and the box will become dormant. The time it remains dormant is highly variable, from hours to weeks, and seems linked to the complexity of the situation described."

"Current theory is that it's a pre-navigator warp-travel safety device. You tell it your planned course, it does some sort of calculations in another dimension, then it sends the results back in time to the earlier version of itself, and tells you if it will result in demons all over your ship." The clerk looks up again, a faint apologetic smile on his face, "Questions?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Your assistance is invaluable your honor." Jerry picks up the dataslate and looks through the huge amount of info and raises an eyebrow. "I got my work cut out for me. I will report whatever pertinent information I find. Thank you for your assistance" He walks out of the halls and back to the hotel proper where he searches for several of the clerks. "You, you, you, you, and that guy, put away whatever you're doing, get some recaff, and meed me in room 314. You five are going to help me summarize and highlight an 1800 page document over the next 48 hours while I make some other preparations. Get to it." Jerry gets the necessary information and gear together, guides the clerks through what he needs, exactly, and then begins modifying his flak armor to better suit his needs.

"This is where I'll be, what I'm attempting to do, and how you can contact me-" Jerry leaves a detailed lists of codes and whatnot to contact him via microbead and other resources, as well as ways he can contact them, and leaves them with either Joyce or Folkar, whoever's available. "I'll let you know as soon as I have some detailed information about what's been going on in this planet's underworld, hopefully giving us a better picture of what the hell is going on here. As always, standing by for further instructions as needed."

Shortly thereafter, a man dressed in the robes of a local merchant house walks through the procurement office in a nearby hive, waiting to see if they're alone, he pulls the aquilla from around his neck. "Ms. Metro?" he presses the feet together and the emblem of the Inquisition holographically projects into his hand where only the two of them can see it. "We need to talk."

-Having the clerks break down the report into an easily tabbed/indexed guide as well as a summary on the side.

-After that, getting a disguise and supplies ready for undercover work. Setting up an array of communications for getting back to folkar and crew.

-Having either an enforcer or magdella's pilot drop me off at the nearby hive and meeting with the contact and asking her specifically about unusual disturbances lately in terms of
a)unauthorized personel on the premises
b)unusual transfers of goods or funds
c)what the underworld has been doing/has it been more active than usual
d)in general what has changed in her area of influence since the civil disturbances started?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 21, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Burned out on PBP, going to drop out

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
"Put it on Inquisitor Magdella's tab. In the mean time, lets talk enhancements."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Magos Korbathov

The Magos remains passionless as ever as he listens to the clerk's explanation on the artifact, cataloging the information in his brain. But deep inside he feels a bit of sadness at this piece of Dark Age of Technology ALREADY been analyzed by a previous Magos. "++THIS ARTIFACT SEEMS IMMENSELY POWERFUL BUT VERY SPECIFIC. FASCINATING. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY INQUISITOR MAGDELLA WOULD DISLIKE AN OBJECT LIKE THIS. HOW DID THIS RELIC ENDED UP IN HER ARSENAL?++"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce

Joyce gets on her Comlink, and reports the location that she received from her interrogation. "Jerry and I could try to scout it, or we could move in force and raid it. Inquisitor Folkar?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NUKE, and the medical personnel

The Doctor snorts, "Enhancements? I barely want to touch the stuff, I'm sure as hell not going to start cutting into it. I can try and grow you a face that looks like your old one, but it will take time and you'll be out of action for a lot of it while it grafts. I can slowly peel off the massively scarred tissue and leave the metal surface exposed, I think you'd survive that but it would likely take even longer and make people faint. Or... I could direct you towards an old colleague who can fit you with some high class structural augmentation. You won't look pretty, but you won't make people vomit either."

He leans back and sniffs, "I'd normally send you to the AdMech, but I think they'd either kill you for heresy or try and remove it for themselves."

The doctor is making three offers. The first would be growing and attaching a new face. It would lay you up for multiple weeks, and might interfere with your magic implants, but you'd get most of your fellowship back. The second would be to peel your remaining skin off and let the archaeotech take over. You'd need to make frequent visits, would end up looking terrifying (a level of fear beyond your current), but would also make normal people think you were a xeno/demon and those "in the know" might start screaming about Necrons and open fire as soon as they see you. The third would be to get some mechanical nonsense built that will make you look like you're really into augmetics, but not unusually so for the Imperium. You'll gain a bit less fellowship and lose your fear rating, but it could be removed in a few minutes if you so desired.

MAGOS KORBATHOV, in the vault

The clerk wrings his hands for a moment and then blurts "I don't really know. Sorry."

After a pause and another embarrassed smile, he continues. "I mean, I know she says she didn't ask for it, but Basil - uh, Angrist, the sage who accompanied it, he died in the atomic - he said that they would never let it out without a direct request. I certainly never saw any paperwork that mentioned it until it arrived. Basil said that it's sometimes used in cases of summoning and possession, so you don't accidentally do something that completes a ritual or kill someone and unleash a more serious threat, that sort of thing. We thought it might have been sent to assist in our tracking a cult who were doing... something. We never did find out what, only a date and that it would have happened somewhere in the top 200 metres of Hive Unuturo. We're 98% confident that it was their atomic."

JERRY, in the mid-hive

The woman looks down into his hands, and the colour drains from her face. She collects herself, grabs a jacket and motions for Jerry to follow her, calling out to the few others present that she's going to conduct some negotiations at head office, apparently their standard euphemism for any of the local bars. She actually leads him back to her own apartment, which she assures him is secure to arbite standards.

In her thinking, his arrival either means that her usefulness is seen to be at an end, or that poo poo's even worse than the grape-vine has been suggesting. Either way, she is a veritable mine of information concerning day-to-day life in the mid-hive.

In general, the hiver population is tense, but the fighting is centered in relatively small areas, so normal life continues for most people. A wave of anger aimed at The Pure is steadily growing, but there remains a constant trickle of new converts to their cause, and street preachers keep popping up no matter how many are beaten to a pulp. There's a growing number of independent hive militia groups forming that attempt to keep all sides from turning their homes into a warzone, but mostly this just adds an ever-increasing number of sides to each battle.

A lot of the textile factories that Ms. Metro deals with have shifted from producing uniforms for the guard to producing them for these militia groups. Even a number of PDF units are having custom uniforms made in their unit colours, or just to the whims of their leadership.

The underhive has been much less settled. Gangs are constantly on the move, with alliances formed to repel Pure and PDF incursions, then broken as soon as fighting ceases and there are spoils to be claimed. The number of advanced weapons has shot through the roof, despite the admech manufactora supposedly being secured. The only source her contacts are aware of is a metalworking facility that the Pure have seized and are using to churn out a huge number of mono-edged blades and brutally spiked mauls. There are a lot of pistols and shotguns being "discovered", and a lot of technomats who "somehow" know how to hand-make shells for them, despite the PDF having come down massively on anyone who dared to own firearms without their consent for the last few generations. The black-market is expanding, as it always does, but other than weapons and drugs, it's not shifting much of interest.

She does confide that the one thing she's been really worried about is the lack of tech-priests around. Apparently most of their facilities are shuttered, and they never see any other than an occasional lowly Mech-Wright repairing some critical piece of hive infrastructure with a few beaten up looking servitors.

JOYCE

kind of need Dyne to contribute

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Your assistance is greatly appreciated Ms. Metro, keep your head down, this isn't going to get pretty soon." Once he gets back to the Hotel-Headquarters, he presents his findings to Folkar, requesting the Magos, the Justicar, and the local Judge be present as well.

Jerry puts up the notes on a holoprojection. "So, Inquisitor, gentlemen, we've got the factionalization of the hive, the disappearance of the Mechanicus, the loss of a manufactorum being used to supply the pure weaponry, and in general the acceleration of the loss of our control. Here are my proposals for stabilizing the Hive which grants us easier access to information as to who is behind all this; He pauses for effect.

First, if the magos could go attend and see what's going on with the local Mechanicus, that'd be an excellent source of finding out why they're not out doing their jobs.

Second, is my plan for stabilizing the hives and generally making life more difficult for the Pure and those who back them. First, and I know this is controversional, but since the PDF here is piss-useless, I propose forming and uniting the neighborhood watches and militias into a coherent force. I have an extensive background in this, with help from your enforcers, judge, we can have these militias, with enforcer leadership, secure their neighborhoods and move to permanently block Pure influence.

Lastly is this manufactorum, we can't let it keep chugging out enemy material, and the merchant house in charge of it has clearly failed in their charter to protect and keep it running. I propose we give Captain Quint rights to whatever facilities her armsmen help capture, not only freeing up our manpower, but also because her ships' Mechanicus personnel will be unlikely to be affected by any local conspiracies or factions. With Quint's seneshel and his staff taking over ownership of industrial areas in conflict zones, we help make sure they're part of a faction we understand and can trust.

He changes to the next pict, which summerizes:

-Investigate local Mechanicus disappearance

-Form Friekorps militia with enforcer backing to hold larger areas and take back areas being contested by the pure

-Raid captured manufactorum. It, and any industries found to have failed in security or providing material directly to the Pure should be foreclosed on and handed over to Quint's warrant.

He pauses, this was going to ruffle some feathers. "Inquisitor, gentlemen, does this proposal meet your approval?" He knows the Judge especially is not going to like this. "Your honor, in addition to simply providing stability during this crises, having an armed, loyal, contigent of men and women means we can also form a new PDF out of citizens that actually give a drat about their duty."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 7, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Inquisitor Azereon

Folkar had a lot of catching up to do. During the ride over, he kept his nose to his dataslate, accessing what files he could while Magdella was trying not to paint the inside of the flyer. He didn't have many questions for her in her current state, and he figured the woman didn't have many answers. Her files, though.. years and years of files. Running a hand through his hair, Folkar pinched the bridge of his nose to try and focus. Where did he have to look first? The atomics were a big thing, obviously. The ride was too short to really get any research done, but he knew what he had to look for first.

Stepping off of the flyer, he paused a moment to watch Joyce start messing with their new prisoner, his eyebrows raising. When Jerry approaches him he just waves the man off. "Do what needs doing. I'm going to either get someone to research this poo poo I need or do it myself, Emperor willing." He heads on up to his room, letting the others contact him when need be, and just spends his time flipping through Magdella's notes and requests. After awhile, he picks up a different dataslate, sending a message out to Lord Williams, requesting the logs of Magdella's requests. He offers no explanation beyond its necessity to his investigation, and Folkar leans back against the headboard of his bed, scratching his beard.

After some time, he begins getting a lot of feedback from the others out in the field. Nuke tells him about the Arbites itching to take on the PDF and the nobility. Joyce know where they might be indoctrinating people. And then Jerry is overachieving as usual, wanting to give a power point presentation, of all the loving things, on his plans for the hive. Folkar groans at this last one, putting his head in his hands.

"Joyce, get the prisoner over to the Xavier; I then want you to check this place out alone. You're quick, you're quiet, and a good judge of a situation. Minimal violence; we're checking it out, not wiping it clean. Jerry's got some sort of presentation planned, get the Magos in on it; I'm digging right now and don't want to be disturbed. Yet." He hangs up on Joyce and then reaches out to Nuke.

"Nuke, I'm going to take my dataslate down to the officer's bar you were telling me about, and I'm going to work from there for a bit. I want you there to back me up, act as a bodyguard. Drop by my room when you're ready."

With that, Folkar turns back to the data in front of him. Until he could cross-check Magdella's outgoing requests with her incoming supplies, he wouldn't be able to know what the hell she was even trying. The Magos could probably tell where wires got crossed, if someone was listening in, but he wanted the magos to listen to Jerry's line of salesmanship at the moment. Still. Where did the atomics come from?

I am basically Investigating or Inquiry at 57 to try to glean something from Magdella's notes and personal files. Feel free to steer me here cause I glazed over Ronwayne's stuff and Folkar doesn't want to sit on a meeting about cleaning up the hive or whatever the hell it is; he's going to the bar with Nuke to keep reading.

e: Basicaly, I have Magdella's email here, and her requests are in her SENT box. I want what the Inquisition actually got in their INBOX.

Also, on the atomics: I want to know who on the planet has the capability to manufacture or receive them, and if any have been shipped or ordere lately, not just within the inquisition, and who has received them. Obviously if the Inquisition received some, I want to know where they came in and who signed for it, or whatever.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 7, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
At the Clinic
"Scrape the poo poo off then for the interim. Have my new face ready for me by the time we are done on this world. Then see if you can get me some new eyes. Preysense if you can swing it."

Meeting with Folkar
Nuke shows up at Folkars in full kit, Heavy Bolter and all. "This way sir." Nuke says as he steps off and heads to the officers club.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 8, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FOLKAR, avoiding the powerpoint

Magdella's paperwork is extensive, covering the activities of her and her underlings for the last 14 months. The logs of incoming and outgoing messages are significantly smaller, the limitations of encoding information to be sent via astropath resulting in a series of short, terse statements and set phrases. Her personal files are fully open to perusal and contain both plaintext and encoded versions of each message, but the encoding is in Lord Inquisitor Wilhelm's standard-report-cipher #4 - a system essentially burned in to Folkar's mind - so it's trivial to see that the two match. What is also trivial to see is the lack of continuity between her records and those presented by Wilhelm. Beyond the first few messages - simple notices of arrival and receipt of control of the local acolyte cells - there is a drift into what reads like two concurrent conversations, on only occasionally overlapping topics.

Magdella sends a request for five divisions of guard to regain control of the planet while bypassing the corrupt PDF
Wilhelm receives a request for additional clerical support and vats of rare wines
Wilhelm sends: staff are en route, but why can't you find suitable local personnel on a hive world?
Magdella receives: specialist guard units will take time to raise, why not use the PDF?
Magdella sends: the PDF are corrupt as hell, any IG will do, request information on reasons for inadequate Arbite presence
Wilhelm receives: Permission to assassinate Arbite commanders?
Wilhelm sends (and Magdella receives): Is that strictly necessary?
Magdella sends: It would be helpful. Why have you sent me these clerks?
Wilhelm receives: It would be useful. Requesting assignment of psyker primaris
.. and so on and so on

Magdella's records are covered in comments and debates between her and senior acolytes about the meaning of certain phrases and attempts to interpret the responses in light of everything they know about Wilhelm. Messages she sends about confusion over arriving staff, assassination attempts, inexperienced acolytes, personnel losses and the need for replacements and reinforcement all go unacknowledged, or the only reply tells her to work harder. The comments alongside messages grow increasingly full of expletives as time goes on, and by the end her recorded responses have reduced to being mere acknowledgements of receipt and confirmations of continuing presence. Messages from Wilhelm continue unabated, containing cryptic references to fore-knowledge and her need to use the resources he provides, and assurances that he will be sure to provide things that according to these files she never asked for. On occasion, the messages are somewhat garbled or plain nonsensical, two in particular can only be parsed as gibberish.

Wilhelm's side presents a story of an inquisitor requesting great masses of expensive and obscure items, largely without justification. Personnel are burned for the merest gain, nobles and high-ranking figures are assassinated and executed without explanation. Requests for the relic start appearing relatively early and are a persistent figure until Wilhelm finally relents and releases it. On the whole, the conversation on Wilhelm's side is much more expansive, the tone much more erratic. It also features a number of garbled messages.

Both sets of messages end at the time of the atomic attack. However, Wilhelm has provided a set of intercepted, half-decoded messages from the Saboteur Mohandas to the Officio Sabatorum, covering time both before and after. Most of the messages are very short, dry situational reports, frequently with terms bracketed and marked as [p-o-j] for "probably offico jargon" by Inquisitorial staff. Just after the time of the atomic there is one considerably longer than normal

quote:

OfSab agent [identifier]
[statement of opinion]: Situation untenable. Atomic weapon used against [Inquisitor Magdella]. Was on mission performing [p-o-j] in reverse.
Have taken command of situation in accordance with [unknown].
Unknown [p-o-j] threat extant, insufficient force for [p-o-j] result. Am consulting [relic] and then proceeding with [p-o-j] using [p-o-j].
Throne have mercy.

Folkar notes that garbled messages occur in both sets of transmissions at the same points.

The paperwork concerning the Atomic is extensive and apparently thorough. The bomb is a relic of an ex-asteroid mining enterprise that failed when the key minerals it imported were no longer needed. It was scrubbed from the paperwork some 80 years ago as "destroyed", but was actually kept in an old base by the owners' descendant. The bomb was detected shortly after being brought down the the surface, not long before it was used. Inquisitorial staff traced the owner and had linked them to the same group who took members of the Pure into orbit. The bomb had been traced to a small private hanger, but was used before it could be raided.

The records link across to an even larger set of paperwork documenting the activities of a cult performing some sort of ritual. Investigation by the Sage Angrist, a Primaris Psyker and a large number of acolytes led to the discovery of 8 sacrificial alters in 8 different hives spaced around the Hive Ununturo. The spacing was not exact, so the exact focal position of the ritual could not be determined. The timing was pinned down, and they were working on improving their location to better than "somewhere in the top 200 floors" when the atomic went off, killing almost all of them. The case is not listed as closed, and there are a number of teams listed monitoring cultist activity, but there is a comment at the end reading "situation temporarily resolved by sabatorum intervention". There are a lot of names listed as potential suspects and persons of interest.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon

Folkar glances between two of his dataslates, his brow furrowed as he flips through the messages that were sent and received between Magdella and Wilhelm. Yeah, there was definitely a mismatch between the two; now he just wonders whether it was the fault of an astropath or someone delivering the messages TO the astropath. But if they were both encoded with SRC #4, then it'd have to be someone who knew the code making the changes. Without looking up, the inquisitor gropes for his drink and takes a sip of it, shaking his head. He flips back to the requests for the relic. SOMEONE wanted the relic, that much was obvious, and Magdella seemed oblivious to how she even got it. He looks up, finally, down the bar at Nuke. "I've got my headset off. Pull Jerry off his power point and get him up here. Get me Xavier and Korbathov as well. I'm going to need reports from them, ASAP, and then I gotta go over this poo poo. Let Joyce stay out in the field."

He takes another sip of his drink, looking over to the bartender and shrugging. He looks back to the information before him and wonders, who knew the cipher? Who had access to the messages and the astropath to alter them? Why was Magdella not doing it her own drat self? So far, the Saboteur seemed to be the most obvious suspect, and Folkar rubs his temples as he realizes the irony in that. The last thing he wanted right now was irony.

Trying to find record of who actually sent the messages for Magdella, as well as any notes on who had access to her cipher or otherwise had contact with the astropath.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

Jerry was just at the part where the MIDI version of the Imperial Hymn starts, at slide 45/357 when he gets the order.

"Inquisitor?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce

Joyce nods at Folkar, "Yes Inquisitor, I will go and scout out this 'hydration plant' and gather numbers and data for a later raid or action. Keep word of this in the cell, I do not trust any of the locals, even these arbites." Joyce then retires to her room. She gathers her weapons. Her blades were silent, the power maul was silent enough, and all her slug throwers had whisper tubes on them. She wraps herself in her ghost-cloak and moves out to scout the location.

I want to go and scout around the outside, get intel on entry ways, out door guards, comings and goings, etc. My silent move is 74, and concealment is 94 (thanks to the camoline cloak). Just in case i have/get to do some climbing for advantages to a scout roost, climb is 86 (thanks to clip drop harness) plus I got a grapnel gun for really getting up there.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NUKE DUKEMS
At the Arbites Officer Club
"Yes Sir." Nuke says as he keys the subvocal functions of his mic, which only serve to boost his voice on the vox to ear splitting levels as he starts telling Jerry, Butte, and the Magos to "BRING YOUR ASSES TO THE OFFICERS CLUB YYYOU UUUUUUUU UUUUUU" A malfunction with his voice boxes software becomes quite prominent causing him to stutter extensively and loudly. The lag lets up and he is able to finish his though of calling them "COCKSUCKER! Ok? Good talk"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Folkar Azereon
Assuming Korbathov and Butts actually show up so I don't have to wait for frajaq and Waci to post, and the Nuke's gone and cleared out the bartender and other patron GENTLY.

Folkar continues poring through his files until, finally, four of his cadre have arrived and await his briefing. He sets his drink down and stands up, dusting himself off. "Alright, so I've been perusing Magdella's files while you two were checking out the relic and while you were.." He pauses, pointing at Jerry, and finds himself at a loss. "What the hell were you even doing, anyways? Giving a presentation?" He looks incredulous, but shakes his head. "Moving on."

He picks up one of his dataslates and tosses it to Korbathov. "Someone was interfering with the transmissions between Magdella and Williams. Need to figure out who it was. I've got the most obvious discrepancies up right there, pass it around." He tucks his hands behind his back and waits a moment until Korbathov hands the slate off. "Requests for the relic started in pretty early and were incredibly incessant, but there's no log of them going out from Magdella; she kept her notes tight to keep her rear end covered, which leaves someone else's hanging in the breeze."

Inquisitor Azereon turns to Father Xavier. "You two saw the relic in person. What is this thing? And did you find out who might have access to it?"

"Jerry, I need you to look into this Saboteur guy working for Magdella. He, or someone else in the Officio Sabotorum, has been sending messages about the atomic, and I don't like how loving neatly it fits that someone in the throne-damned OFFICE OF SABOTAGE is communicating to his head quarters about an atomic weapon that just so happened to take out a big chunk of one of the hives and set in motion some nasty civil unrest. That just falls into place way too drat well and I don't trust it."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Butts

Butts nods at his long-time boss. "Yep, we saw it allright, not that it amounted to much beyond what Magdella's adept told us. The artifact interacts with the warp in some way, that's for sure, though Solomon could probably tell you more about exactly how than either of us. Basically, whenever the device is active, and exactly how to influence that we don't know, you ask it a question and it gives you a yes or no answer, base don what it can see in the warp. Magdella's clerk said there's some past precedent for using it to help in summoning daemons, in a will this ritual as described result in the daemon escaping our control yes or no sort of way, which makes me very suspicious of whoever requested it. Apparently the inquisition sent a sage over together with the relic, but the sage died in the atomic attacks, so there's nobody around who will admit to knowing how to actually use the thing."

Relaying to Folkar what the clerk told us.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel I should clarify. It isn't used for summoning demons, but they have used it to try and NOT do that. An example: they've captured a room full of cultists as they neared the end of a ritual, they've now got a bunch of people locked up including one who was going to be a sacrifice. They don't know if they can safely execute said person, or if doing so would complete the ritual and summon a daemon. So they ask "Can I safely execute these people?"

Or, that's what the manual says, anyway. Some idiot's probably used it to try and make his own army of daemonhosts, it has belonged to the Inquisition for quite some time.

JOYCE, at the starch processing facility

Water is reprocessed in a hive as a matter of course, massive dehydrators are needed just to stop the exhalation of a hundred million souls from condensing on every surface. The difficulty of interstellar transport makes any reduction in mass extremely valuable, so Agri-worlds produce massive quantities of starchy foodstuffs that are dehydrated before shipping. Once it arrives at the hive it is rehydrated into a variety of flavourless (if you're lucky) pastes and gruels, the default diet for the vast majority who can or will not pay for better fare. It's edible, which is generally enough.

Joyce emerges from the steel caves of the hive into a cavernous space, the ceiling far above contains several great windows to allow natural light, but it's the huge shutters above immense hoppers that seize the eye, great intakes that lifter-shuttles can dump their cargo into without even landing. Beneath, the cavern is balkanised. Razor-wire fences and crude barricades section off one third of the complex from the rest, and guards can be seen patrolling either side. Those on the larger side are in piecemeal armour and carry an assortment of civilian weaponry, but the figures on the other side of the fence are more obviously uniformed, even if it's by the lack of one. Several dozen near-naked figures are marching the fence, some appear to have nothing on at all apart from their combat gear. They each carry a two-handed weapon across their back or in their hands, half a dozen have pistols, two have bandoleers of what look like grenades.

It is obviously the latter section which contains the building that the prisoner described. Joyce evades detection with ease, neither side seem particularly alert, and she could believe this was an accepted state of affairs. The building provides the offices and control rooms for an entire rehydration line from delivery through to export, but is quiet when she gains access. Lights flicker on some monitoring boards, a few children are playing some sort of ball game in a side corridor, but guards are nowhere to be seen.

The room in question is some sort of small lecture hall, seats for 24 people face a screen for a projector. Discarded food containers litter the seats, and a box of thin books stands in one corner. They're all the same, Purification of body and soul: Embracing your perfect roots by "Primarch Helena of Bartleby's Mission". The projector shows signs of recent use, but there are no films or otherwise to be found.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Yessir Inquisitor, if a safe suddenly falls on my head or I fall down some stairs, I guess we can confirm involvement."

Jerry steels himself for a hilarious, possibly ironic, death and begins dropping discrete inquiries to other folks in the building as to when and where they've seen the OS guy come and go, esp if the arbites have seen him outside the hive. He also reads Magdella's files on the dude and tries to figure out where he might have safehouses he can break into.

Welp, time for Spy vs Spy cartoon poo poo. If Jerry can find him, he's going use disguise and tail him, pictcaster and assorted gear in hand.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh, welp, I totally misread that and thought it was something that had in the past been used to summon daemons, in a "is this the correct way to do the ritual" sort of way. Guess it was my hopeful thinking eager to get to kill daemons getting ahead of my literacy. Dyne just assume I said something that was actually correct unless Frajaq fixes it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jerry, oddly disappointed

Jerry builds himself up for a tense chase, but the first person he asks directs him to a suite of rooms in the same hotel they've been using. Saboteur Mohandas is not currently on a mission so he should be, and is, there.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

Jerry, rather sheepishly, knocks. "Mr. Mohandus, can we talk?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jerry, in the Saboteur's lair

After a few moments, the door is opened by a short lady in what appears to be a business suit, if such a thing were to be made in dark blue camouflage. Behind her, Jerry can see a suite much like any other in the luxurious building, though with a small desk for her use just inside the door. Once informed of his details and purpose, she quickly ushers him through to what was probably once an opulent reception room, but currently looks more like a cross between a watchmakers' workshop, a chemistry lab and a blueprint warehouse.

Kneeling in the middle of the floor is a dark skinned man wearing a grey boiler suit. He's on top of a huge blueprint for something, and is scrawling all over it in a variety of colours. As Jerry is announced, he climbs to his feet and runs a hand through his thinning hair.

"So. The new man is finally interested, eh? Mohandas, Saboteur Class II. What would the Inquisition like destroyed today?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

"Pleasure to meet you. Agent Daniels. As for what needs destruction, primarily my sense of confusion as to what's happening on this planet. I was wondering if you could give me a run-down as to when you arrived here until the atomic detonated. Following that, how does a generic insurgency get ahold of something like an atomic, as well as the knowledge of how to arm and place it?"
Jerry takes a look around the room and attempts to squint at whatever the guy is working on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JERRY, with beverages

"Of course. Please, have a seat and I'll get my notes. Forth, get me a recaf would you?"

The latter comment is apparently directed at the woman, who rolls her eyes at Jerry and then disappears into the kitchenette to make drinks. Meanwhile, Mohandas disappears for a moment, returning to catch Jerry eyeing the blueprint on the floor. "It's a breakdown of what we think a Tau medium ammunition hauler looks like under the hood. I'm trying to work out how to destroy it given fifteen seconds of relatively quiet access."

He sits down at the directed table and flicks through a slim book, "Right, let's see... I arrived 208 days ago, local. Since then I have performed 18 different missions against 22 distinct targets, including: the seizure of all orbital defence controls, destruction of one major traffic tributary, one air-recirculation and purification centre, and 39 tons of contraband combat drugs, and the denial of the local planetary defence fighter squadrons. If you want the full details, I'll have Forth send over the paperwork. While not doing that, I've mostly been doing my day job, which is theories for things like that." He gestures over at the blueprint on the floor and casts them a long glance, before turning back and steepling his fingers.

"For the twelve days immediately after the Atomic, I was in de facto control of this Inquisitorial mission due to everyone with any real clearance and knowledge being in a medically induced coma or dead. I wasn't there when it happened, I was taking care of the interceptors, we thought those were more important at the time. By the time I got back there were about two dozen extremely hosed-up junior staffers attempting to coordinate Arbites in managing the complete lock-down of the site, recover as much of their data as possible, and occasionally think about saving their colleagues. Part of the deal when we're sent on one of these thingss, as an Inquisitorial adjunct I mean, is that we're given a rank in the cell. Not so we have authority over people (though that can help), but so everyone knows what our clearance and position is. It's not meant to be a thing that gets used, but, there we were. Someone had to take the authority, and the blame, and it was me. "

He stops for a moment, and takes a long drink of the drink Forth has placed at his elbow. "Sorry, I'm drifting. The Atomic, yes. The atomic was - as far as I can tell from the radionuclide residue and the scant records recovered - a Prospector VII asteroid exploratory charge from the Forge-world Heracles. They're not uncommon in systems where rare minerals are in demand, though usually stringently controlled and centrally housed by either Naval or Arbite forces. The fact that one slipped through the net would ordinarily be a capital offence, we're just not sure who to blame yet. They're relatively rugged units, designed to be purchased by exo-mining companies and deployable by their own trained staff. You couldn't give one to an Ogryn and expect it to work, but you wouldn't feel comfortable with an Ogryn having one, if you catch my meaning.

"They didn't even have to worry about placing it, they just put it in the back of a cargo flyer and set it off when they were in about the right place. Suicide job. Just seared the surface off one facing of the whole upper hive."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Joyce

Joyce's feet lightly dance on the ground to a beat only in her head as she expertly moves along the shadows of the large Imperial facility. In times like this it helped her concentrate on her steps if she just conjured up the drum music from home and stepped to the beat. While not stomping like she would have at one of their feast dances, the ignorant Imperial observing would think she was hopping to some mad music; luckily she's good enough for there not to be any observers.

In the indoctrination room, she quickly grabs one of the many pamphlets, jabbing it into her camoline cloak and into a pocket on her body glove. She had hoped to find whatever insidious film was being used for the indoctrination, but the pamphlets would be a start, someone more knowledgeable than herself back at the cell would know better what the pamphlet was about, and who this "Primarch Helina" is.

Having gathered as much intelligence as she can, Joyce steps over to the projector. While she was here and had the capability, she would engage in some sabotage. She disconnects the projector from the power source, then draws her mono-knife and quickly gives the projector a few stabs, and then cuts the power cord. Likely not a big blow to their operation, but something.

She then withdraws from the facility and takes up a high location overlooking the area. She'd spend at least the next eight hours making note of the comings and goings of those at the clandestine brain-washing facility, and then head back to report.

Okay, assuming I get back out fine, I'm going to hang around for a while to gather intel on the comings and goings using my magnoculars. In particular I want to keep an eye on vehicles, get license plate numbers (if they have those in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium) and see if anyone comes to replace the projector, and their vehicle information.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jerry

Jerry shakes his head as the saboteur explains the nuke situation. "What a throne-damned waste. Well, the next few things that come immediately to mind are, if you've got time on your hands, can you hit this manufactory that's been overun by the Pure?" Jerry pulls up a dataslate with the captured factory's information. "If you can disable this in a manner that the mechanicus can later repair but will prevent the current crop of halfwits from operating the machinery, that'd be great. If you can kill the dudes making shivs and clubs there while you're at it, that'd be even better. Next, have you noticed anything odd with the Mecanicus itself, techpriests gone missing, etc? I've been looking around and they seem to have dropped off the face of the planet here." He pauses

"and lastly, I don't think I've been introcued yet to Ms.'s Forth here, what exactly does she do?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JOYCE, on overwatch

Joyce finds an old access stairway that leads up to some sort of waiting room and a few offices. Dust lines the floors and the windows are covered in a layer of grime, but there are a few items of furniture that haven't been scavenged and the view covers most of the Pure territory. Down below troops amble up and down the fence on irregular patrols, though obviously not for the purposes of catching infiltrators. Though they stare at each other through a barricade, it's pretty obvious that most of the "guards" know each other. Patrols stop to hold short conversations as they pass, and things are even traded through gaps in the wire.

This all changes when two vehicles roll in on the Pure side. Immediately more troops appear on both sides, the patrols go tense, weapons are drawn and held more tightly. One of the trucks is a generic heavy cargo vehicle, but the other is a mish-mash almost Orkish in design. At the front is half a public-transit bus, but the rear half has been replaced with the trailer from a tanker. People in off-white boiler suits pile out of the bus half and head into the plant, and sounds of machinery starting up echo through the hall. From the normal truck emerge two huge people, a man and woman both naked to the waist and muscled to the limits of human potential. They haul two much smaller figures from the rear of the truck and begin to hold some sort of show trial.

Through magnoc vision, Joyce sees a man with a shaven head and a small figure, eventually identified as a ratling of indeterminate gender and extreme age. The huge woman shouts some sort of proceedings to everyone within earshot and drags the prisoners around, and Joyce finally notices the crime of the shaven man: he has no ears. The skin on the sides of his head is completely smooth. Finally he is forced to his knees, though the ratling is left standing, and the woman slowly turns a full circle pointing at everyone she can see. The man produces a huge polearm from the truck cab, and in one clean sweep removes the head from both prisoners.

The "trial" concluded, the remains are doused in fuel and set ablaze and loading commences. Pallets are loaded into the back of the truck, the tanker is pumped full of liquid foodstuffs, the rattle of machinery dies down and the workers move back aboard the bus. The vehicles pull away and disappear back down the tunnel they entered from, the only signs of their passing a few drips of liquid under the pumps and two burning corpses.

The border troops relax, weapons are put away and once the flames have died down the remains are shovelled into a sack and taken away. The rest of the day passes without note.

JERRY, sharing secrets

The mention of the Mechanicus makes the saboteur's face darken dramatically. He pulls open a drawer and produces a small box with half a dozen antennae sticking out of it, a few switches are flicked and after a moment a series of lights turn green. "Sorry, had to check if anyone was listening. Privacy fields make it too obvious that you're worth watching." He turns the box off and puts it back in the drawer. "The Mechanicus around here are hiding something. About 8 years ago something happened, nobody who I can find knows what. The main AdMech temple on the planet, and the entire deep-core geothermal station it was on top of went dark. Caused some massive power shortages, probably the cause of the whole worker discontent. Anyway, the AdMech say it was an accident, but I think they were probably doing something experimental and hosed it up in a major way. Nantor, the lead Magos, he survived, but he's been hiding himself away for the years since and doing everything remotely. Rumour is he's rebuilding his own body from scratch, starting from raw ore. They've pulled all their priests back to rebuild the temple, and the rest of the planet is suffering. They refuse aid from other AdMech as well. I think they're sitting on a discovery, don't want anyone else coming in and poaching it."

Sitting back, Mohandas picks up the dataslate and looks at the factory type and location, humming and nodding to himself. "It could be done. The problem isn't disabling it - I could cut the power, slag the edger-stones, cover the whole site in contact poison, the usual stuff - it's gaining access. That plant is deep in Pure territory, near where we think their HQ is. All the security equipment they scavenge is used to expand the security around that area and it's a hard place to get into if you're not prepared to walk around naked to prove your 'purity'."

"Forth is my second. A sort of manager, assistant and bodyguard in one. She does my paperwork, organises my life, knows some tricks of the trade, watches my back on dangerous missions and, if she deems my capture imminent, is there to shoot me in the head. Lovely woman, I'd marry her but it might interfere with that last part of her role." This produces a derisive snort from Forth's direction and Mohandas gives a cheeky grin. "The officio selects from stormtrooper candidates early in their training. Ones who grade well in close combat and infiltration, and who look innocuous enough, get tapped."

• Locked thread