Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
  • Locked thread
Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!


grassy gnoll posted:

While we are bribing each other, you can spend your own aiki to move another player's impressions, as RTW is doing.

The Gun and Natsu - UL: I'll give you two aiki to take Soulmate, and RTW, one for moving to Blood Relative. I like the idea of our manufactured folks getting along, and perhaps having an as-yet undiscovered connection.


I was under the impression that the Aiki we hand out is not related to the pool of Aiki we receive. Yea/Nay?

Also, totally taking the bribe. I like that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Yoshida Brothers - Overland Blues

Oh dear, she's a saleswoman. Jugemu doesn't have the heart to tell her he doesn't have much change on him, and he's curious to see her wares, so he decides to humor her.

"Oh, have I now, ma'am? And what, praytell, am I missing that you can offer?"

Jugemu addresses her in a warm, almost playful voice, with a smile on his face.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

sentrygun posted:

Oh, whoops, didn't realize it was potentially all of them. Destinies start at 2, then? I'll bump Golden Child up to 4 and Cursed Weaponsmith to 3 as well if so, which just about fits inside my Karma. While I'm a bit tempted to see just how ridiculous Soulmate would go, I think I'll play it safe and go for the bribe to Goodwill. Insomuch as Asuka can display goodwill.

Sorry, that was unclear. He's got Goodwill towards you, you have Deja Vu towards him. And yes, destinies start at 2. Probably. The rules are vague, but the one time a number value is specifically mentioned it's a two.

I don't believe you can actually start with any Fate at 2, but they're also specifically mentioned as being ranked 1-5. I suppose when you buy an entirely new fate you're supposed to start it at 1, but then you have the opportunity to immediately advance it to 2 for free. I dunno, we'll go with what sounds most advantageous.


Rather Watch Them posted:

I was under the impression that the Aiki we hand out is not related to the pool of Aiki we receive. Yea/Nay?

Also, totally taking the bribe. I like that idea.


Karma System > Using Aiki Chits > During Scenes. It's page 47 in the simple text copy. Pretty much any time you're bribing another player instead of going "Oh, that was rad, have an aiki" you have to spend your own chits.

The lesson to take away from this is to have the aiki flow like water and look for excuses to give your fellow players chits.

E: Speaking of, Waffle, take an aiki for Yoshida Bros action.


Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

With the way the Man with the Gun is dressed it's hard to believe he's that incredibly pale. What if he's nothing more than a facade, and if so what's hidden beneath?

She thinks back to the workshop, seeing her face in the mirror for the first time. Her skin was nearly as pasty, her eyes functional but soulless. When Mabou passed on, she was lost without her life's goal being fulfilled.

Is this man a kugutsu? More importantly, does he need guidance?

"Salutations, fellow traveler. Headed through Ochiai Pass? We could accompany one another. I happen to be... familiar with the mountains. In general."

She has no idea where she's headed except "away." Sometimes the road to enlightenment means following one's gut. The Man will be pleased to learn more about his own enlightenment as well, when Natsu helps him complete his transformation into a human with human-like guidance and dreams.

And fists of steel, when her guidance inevitably brings the Man to ditch his gun and traipse his way to Myori.

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at Apr 30, 2014 around 15:16

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Whoops, mixed up the respectively. I can still work with it though. My reading through the rules made it seem like basically everything skips straight to 2, so I wasn't entirely sure on the destinies thing.


Asuka

Asuka gives the trunk a swift kick and it pops open, flops over on its side, and proudly displays both a pair of revolvers on top of a few small shelves of other firearms and dozens of bullets that spray out and drop to the ground. She gives the scene a horrified look for a full few seconds before speaking up.

"Ah... Ahahah... Right. Ignore that, and take a good look at these! Eight shots, swing out cylinder, and enough power to knock a man on his rear end if the first hit wasn't enough to put him down for good. There's also this double-action if you're afraid of fumbling around, and if the revolving barrel doesn't do it for you there's magazine loads..."

Asuka begins going through nearly all of her pistols, sweeping bullets back towards the trunk as she does so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 3 | Kiai:5

Jugemu chuckles as the weapons spill out of the case. Of course she sold guns. He had run into plenty of her type. 'A samurai's no good without a gun, good sir!' 'Is that sword really enough?' 'You may be tough, but my wares can make you tougher!' He had heard it all, and even when he had enough money, he had turned them all down. He holds up a hand in an effort to silence her.

"I apologize, but I will not be needing any of your goods today. This sword and my own strength are all I need."

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at Apr 30, 2014 around 04:28

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

When traveling along roads or trails, even at night, Yurei tends to walk. Floating is for lost places, but at least from a distance, she doesn't appear strange. Closer, her pale qualities are more stark in the moonlight, and translucency occasionally shows around the edges. The white clothing probably doesn't help amongst the more supersititious.

As she comes to the crossroads, she halts, as if to let the armored figure by. She watches plainly, seeing the shock of hair and its pale mask, before she finally slips past the silence. "Excuse me.", she starts, before asking, "But you haven't come to judge me, have you?" It seems to be something of a non sequitur, but her steady gaze doesn't hint at any sort of joke.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka

This again. One of those hard sells, the kind too worried about the art of the blade or something. Except when they get their hands on swords that shoot bullets, then they're all over that. Until the thing shatters itself and they're down a sword and most of their hand.

"Huh? You're joking, right? You might be loaded up with all that scarlet and whatever else, but someone, or someones, pumping lead into you is still a threat. If you can't fight back without having to waddle through all that, what's your plan? If you're being really stingy I've got a few cheaper ones."

Asuka kneels down by the trunk and pulls an empty single action revolver, going through the motions of firing it a few times in a series of clicks.

"Or do you just not know how to work a gun? It'll take some practice to get used to, but it's far better than not having one."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha

I will accept and go to Shock! I will also be spending that Aiki on a Fate roll because, uh, I kinda don't want to keep Aiki around.

Fate roll: 5d6u4 2

Why do I never get these rolls when I play Shadowrun

Tankyuusha stops to look at the girl...and then TRULY stops.

His head starts to hurt. It's not entirely a bad pain.

He remembers.

He remembers a different girl in such white clothing being carried away. But not very different. But it's not white clothing? It's normal peasant clothing, but it's soaked - thoroughly - in red. As is his armor. But it's not armor. It's just him. And he's staring down, and he can't feel, and his sword -

The kongohki realizes it has been staring. It speaks in it's dull, metallic voice.

"No. I am not here to judge. I am a traveler in search for one that I must find, but it is not you that I seek. What would I even judge? You must be very brave to travel his road alone, unarmed. And you seem very young to be doing so."

Maybe it was a sense of duty; a young girl traveling as she was could be in great danger. Maybe it was guilt for events that it could not remember. Or maybe it was simply loneliness.

"Call me...Tankyuusha. If we are moving in the same path, perhaps I could travel with you? I will not burden you, I promise."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5

This again. One of those hard sellers, the kind too worried about getting something in your hands no matter what. He wondered if this one would try to sell him a sword that shoots bullets. Those would shatter in the hand anyway.

"Guns have never been my area of expertise, I apologize. They're quite loud chatoic things, not elegant at all. Besides, if I bought one now, I don't think I'd have enough money for lodging."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

"Lodging? You're worried about eating and sleeping for the night? Well..."

Asuka starts picking bullets up off the ground and placing them back in her trunk, not taking much care to make sure they wouldn't just fall right back out.

"Tell you what. Help me clean up this mess and I'll fix that problem for you. You look, ah... Samurai-y enough to make people think twice about messing with you, I guess, and that's a lot nicer than having to waste bullets scaring people off."

Probably cheaper, too.


Swiping Rope Burn's status header because it looks really nice, take an Aiki chit for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

"I suppose I could do that much. I was taught to always help those in need."

Jugemu crouches down and starts picking up bullets alongside the saleswoman, taking more care to organize them in the trunk than she does.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

Staring for a moment, Yurie doesn't have a great answer, it's more just like a feeling. "I-I just ruined a shrine a little while back, I keep feeling like I'm going to be punished."

There's a slight smile and a half-laugh, somewhat muted... but she seems somewhat muted in her expressions. "But I'm not really brave, I'm just... looking for something, and I... I just can't stop until I find it. I'm sorry if it makes you worry."

Looking up to the Tankyuusha, she catches herself, bowing in greeting belatedly. "I'm Yurie. Ah. I-If you want to walk together, I-" She stops, pondering that notion for a moment, flashing back to a the one time bandits did accost her, and the sounds of the screams that followed her retalization. It didn't bother her, before, back when she didn't think without fury, but it had begun to eat at her to do things like that. A kongohki, on the other hand, is an excellent scarecrow, though his metallic sounds shook unpleasant memories loose. "- I think that would be fine."

Going to give an aiki to Tankyuusha for a dramatic opening!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

grassy gnoll posted:

Don't forget you can increase any of your Fates, up to and including all of them.

UL, I would very very strongly recommend you either increase at least one of your Fates or spend an aiki to buy a new one at rating 2. There's at the very least no drawback to increasing your Fates, and no benefit by not doing so.


The Gun and Natsu - UL: I'll give you two aiki to take Soulmate, and RTW, one for moving to Blood Relative. I like the idea of our manufactured folks getting along, and perhaps having an as-yet undiscovered connection.


I'll take the two Aiki bribe, and raise: Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice to 3 and Emotion: Regret to 4. Maybe bits of them were taken from the same tree, or something.

The Gun

Getting him to ditch the gun would be difficult- he's not so much a man with a gun as a Gun with a man, after all. (Or at least a faceless-ish vaguely man-shaped figure that carries him around.) He stares fixedly at the priestess for a long moment, then replies, "I have no particular destination, but I would be glad of the company, I think." The Gun finds himself a bit startled that this statement is actually true rather than simply being polite- it's been too long since he traveled with someone who wasn't carrying him towards their own death or someone else's.

And there's something damnably familiar about the nun.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at Apr 30, 2014 around 18:42

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

"Delightful. As I've learned, of course, the destination is tertiary to the journey. We can embrace life, breathe it in..."

Natsu ponders on the Man's ability to breathe. Yes, seems he's accomplished that step.

"Perhaps we should introduce ourselves. I am Summer I am. And you?"

Natsu offers her hand, brushing her bangs away from her face. It streams in waves, crashing at her ankles. Obviously she's rehearsed the motion countless times.

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at May 1, 2014 around 02:59

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


I figure Jugemu and Asuka get going to some kinda town unless there was something Waffleman wanted to do first.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

Yes! Breathing. He sometimes remembers he needs to do it when not talking, even! The Gun pushes his hat back- his face can still not be seen, not fully, seeming to consider a long moment before taking her hand and shaking it.

"I do not have a name. Often as not, I am just called Stranger. But before I began going about on two legs, they called me The Dead Man's Gun."

Okay! So probably not another Kugutsu.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and Yurie

You travel together in silence, apart from the kongohki's clanking.

Dawn breaks over the mountains, slicing down through Ochiai pass. Yurie looks a little more solid in the sunlight, and the rays of light glint off the kongohki's shinier parts. It's peaceful, for the time being.

Tankyuusha spots him first. A shaft of sunlight lances through the pass ahead of you and illuminates the fallen figure of a man. He's stripped to the waist, but some considerate soul has left him a sword through the ribs to keep him company. He's still breathing, though unconscious. Still, not dying after being pinned to the ground with a length of steel is pretty impressive.

It's probably because he's a samurai. Either that or he has some extraordinarily bad taste in body jewelery and tattoos.

You can try and wake him up or just leave him here. Your call. Also you each get an aiki for the quality posts above.

Natsuyoda and The Gun

You guys have some things to work out. We'll get back to you.

Each of you should take an aiki for being incredibly awkward to each other.

Jugumu and Asuka

It turns out you can tolerate each other's company, and Asuka doesn't loose too many bullets to the road.

The walk is not unpleasant. The sun shines all day, and as you travel closer to the mountains you find yourselves slowly immersed in the evidence of civilization. You must be getting close to the city - it's probably just through that pass up above. You're probably not going to make it through before nightfall, since the sun's on its way down to the horizon already, but hey, civilization! Jobs! Customers! Places to sit!

You're necessarily cagey with each other, but Jugemu's stories about his youth at the lakeside are surprisingly charming for a guy who sacrificed his humanity to become a better murderer, and Asuka's tale about making a new kind of rifling is actually comprehensible to other human beings, if a little light of the details of her previous employment history.

There are people in line of sight and earshot all the time now, but nothing really comes as a surprise. The teamsters are easy to pick out, the merchants are loud and boisterous, and the travelers of leisure and governance have their retinues with them. So it's a bit of a surprise when a cloaked figure bolts past you, seemingly out of nowhere. drat, that was close!

A quick check of your pockets, purses and trunks reveals nothing missing, so it doesn't seem like you just got pickpocketed. Muffled shouts of surprise and irritation further up the road continue for a while. It's possible the cloaked figure is just in a hurry and massively impolite, but still, that was weird.

Asuka notices something in the tracks the person left. They are either mechanical in whole or in part, or a really bizarrely disguised shiki. Either way, there's no real cause for that kind of hardware in this part of the world. What on earth was that about?

You may each take an aiki if you add a relevant anecdote to your next post to illustrate your previous conversations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

As the sight becomes clear, Yurie jogs up to the fallen figure wordlessly, crouching by him. Her head tilts to the side, and then reaches out towards the hilt gingerly before snapping it back as if it having second thoughts about poking at him. "He's still alive...", she reports rhetorically. "I-I could try and keep him alive.", she adds more hesitantly, as if that's more a try and less of a could. Her hand reaches out towards the hilt again before she flinches back once more.

Giving an Aiki to The Gun for its dodgy impression of humanity!

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

"B-before?" Natsu's grin loses sincerity as she thinks of the meaning behind his words. She's heard talk of kugutsu who've been built with missing elements as a testament to their beauty without them, but not having legs? Inconceivable. It seems her inference was incorrect.

The Dead Man's Gun. He looks dead and has a gun. Is it really that simple? "So..." She blatantly stares down at the Gun. Is there any indication that it's really in control? "What brings you on your journey? I'm on a path of self-enlightenment myself. Honing my body to purify my soul, becoming one with everything." She limply holds out the remaining 'Summer Thunder' rosary on her wrist, but not to the Dead Man's eyes. To the Gun. "That sort of thing."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

While there's no direct indication that the gun is animating the shell, well, there's an impression of a smile. He should never do that again, as it's less 'beaming happily' and more 'terrifying murder-rictus'. "You are one of the first, on hearing the name, to address me directly." So there's that. "I seek...justice. When I was only dimly aware of myself, I was used many times, often for grave crimes. Now that I wield myself, I wish to make up for what was done with me when others had their fingers on the trigger."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

Jugemu's stories tell of a boy. A boy who once stole sweets under his mother's nose. A boy who went off to train as a swordsman at a young age. A boy who fell in love and gave away everything to protect her, even if they could never be together. A boy who threw his name aside left after a vicious attack that left him as the last one standing. A boy who has become a man.

Once they reach the town, Jugemu scoffs at the cloaked man who ran past. "Well, that's not the worst welcome I've had to a town. At least nobody wants to fight me. Yet."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

"No, no, no, it's just a matter of making sure the whole thing sticks together well enough even though it should just fall right apart. That's the hard part, but it's not going to just blow up in your hand. If it does start falling apart you won't even be able to pull the trigger."

Asuka waves around the Golden Child as she continues on her long-winded explanation as to how it works, opting towards sales-talk to try to have it make sense for the samurai.

"All in all though, this thing's even better than those bulky rifles you see guards hefting around all in a much smaller package. See that orange tree down the road? Watch."

After carefully lining the sights up with the distant fruit she fires, and the tree carrying the fruit almost seems to explode as the shot rips through its trunk, embedding around the middle.

"Uh. Well, that's still impressive, yeah? I'm just, ah, not really the best shot is all."

***

"Finally, people again. Was starting to miss- Hey!"

Asuka gets bumped aside by the shadowy figure, but it vanishes into the crowd before she can draw and get a bead on it.

"There's the downside to people, I guess. Hm? What the... Some kind of mechanica? Hey, get a look at these footprints. Something like this on the run means there's probably something pretty bad behind him, yeah? Looks like one of those weird metal people."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

Tankyuusha draws his blade and positions himself next to the samurai.

"Yes, please. If he reacts...poorly, I will be here to help. To leave an unknown man dying by the road...is not something I think I could do. If all else, he may know about the things we two seek. You do seek something, I assume? I apologize if it is something you do not wish to talk about; if it is personal, you need not share. I have simply found that most people seek something; those that travel, doubly so."

For a moment, the kongohki was happy he couldn't actually physically react. Talking to people was something he was decidedly unused to, and he was rather worried he was being terrible at it.

An aiki to Jugemu for the nice hinting at the personal story!

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

She was merely guessing, but it's nice that she's right this time. "Ah, you're in luck then." She returns to making eye contact, very briefly while he's still grimacing. Her hair accents her neck's whipping away from his face. Her eyes gaze out to the road ahead. "You've been given a chance to detach from the karmic actions that keep you bound to this mortal coil of samsara. This meeting, then, is a boon for us both. Probably. You never can tell with karma."

She shrugs and glances back at the Gun's face. "Anyway, you've been given control over your life, so your goal ought to be to change the behaviors that led to your misuse. If you make wholesome decisions from this point on, you'll eventually be freed from the samsara."

"You know, to be brief."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

You guys are still in the driver's seat for the next little bit. Waiting on swords to be pulled, footprints to be looked at, philosophies to be debated.

Aiki for

Jugemu and Asuka for storytime
Natsu for monking it up.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

The Gun gives her a long, long blank look- this is made easier, by, well, still not really having much in the way of a face.

Finally, he says, "That sounds about right. So the best plan would, perhaps, be to find someone, or some place where people are doing the sort of things my old owners used to do and convince them, politely, to stop."

(This is probably not actually the best plan.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

"Um... yes, I am looking for something.", Yurie replies over her shoulder, distracted by the potential corpse in front of her.

Yurie hesitates, and then reaches for the man's leg first, tearing a strip of hakama free with both hands. She is, after all, stronger than she looks. Wrapping it around her hand several times, she reaches for the blade. It's strange; in the blindness of anger, it was easy to kill somebody with or without a reason. But now, she hesitates, afraid she's going to let somebody she doesn't know die.

Then, quickly as if not to let herself hesitate longer, she puts a hand down on the man, drawing the blade free and just tossing it away before reaching for the wound, her limb flowing as she tries to put her arm into him, seeking to halt bleeding from the inside. She's no Annelidist by any stretch, but her own arm takes on a wormlike, boneless quality as she slides it in, trying to put pressure where it's needed.

Rolled Senses/First Aid with 2 successes, and spending 3 Soul to try and enhance it with a bit of Incorporeal trickery. If necessary, I'm willing to spend 3 Karma to up it to 3 successes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie and Tankyuusha

Black gunk boils up around Yurie's noodly appendage. She can feel lumps and squidgy bits inside the samurai - they are presumably where they're supposed to be, but it has been a while since she's had organs after all.

After a few moments, the black ooze stops and the ghost can withdraw her hand. She's fairly certain she got all the lacerations and gouges, and she gives the fallen warrior a quick jolt to get him back on his feet.

The samurai stirs. His eyes flutter open and he starts to reanimate, taking in his surroundings. Given a choice between the ghost and the machine, he stretches one hand out to Tankyuusha, then lets it drop.

It takes him a few moments to regain consciousness, and it's clear he's not entirely up to full speed even then. One hand gravitates toward his wound, and he takes a longer look at each of you, then at the sword on the ground.

"Who are you?" He's rushed, tense, but slowly calming. It's kind of understandable, given the circumstances. "Do I - argh - have you to thank for waking me up?"

That was the grosses laying on of hands I've seen outside of grogs.txt. Have an aiki, ARB.

UL and RTW: Not to discourage the good posting, but are you guys set and ready for the next thing, or do you want to keep chatting? Either is fine.

Waffle, do you want to react to the weirdo in the cloak or are you good?

Somewhat related, if you guys decide not to act in a particular circumstance, please post something to that effect. I don't want to end up dragging the game out because I'm waiting on you and you're waiting on me. Not a big deal so far, but as I've said in the past, TBZ lives and dies by participation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Yeah, I will.

Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

"I hope it doesn't lead into trouble for us. I nearly got into a fight at the last inn I stopped at, and I was hoping for a bit of calm."

Jugemu puts his chin in his hand and closes his eyes in contemplation.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

"Technically you just have to be good to everybody, but sure, you can do that! Karma's not exactly about fixing the past, just being as good as you can, but again, that sure sounds like the greater good, so..."

She shrugs again.

I'm ready to move along.

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at May 3, 2014 around 13:26

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

"Good to everyone is not precisely in my skillset," The Gun admits. "The hammer problem, only a bit more literally than in most cases, since part of my construction involves one. But convincing others that they need to move along the correct path, well, I may be able to manage."


I'm ready to move along whenever.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

If Yurie's method of healing shocks or disgusts the kongohki, it makes no show of it. Which is easy to do when you don't actually have any sort of normal face, admittingly.

"You do, though I would not cast my eyes at the blade when there is one here. Forgive the premature threat; one must be careful even in acts of kindness. Perhaps more so then usual in acts of kindness. What happened to you? How did we come about you lying near dead on the road?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

Yurie, conversely, manages to be grossed out by her own methods, stepping away for a moment with a mortified look. As Tankyuusha gives his dire warning, she's flailing her arm, clearly trying to find a way to clean it off that doesn't involve wiping it down on her white clothes. Well, at least her limb seems to have a bone structure again. After a few tries at this, she just looks stricken for a moment before walking back over, resigning herself to her yuck-stained hand.

"Huh? Do you know him?", she asks of Tankyuusha, looking a little puzzled at the tense quality of their exchange.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

"I do not, but it never hurts to be wary. I am of course assuming someone tried to kill this man for a reason."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Asuka and Jugemu

Well, that was weird! Can't be too important though, and presumably that's all you'll ever see of this person again.

By the time you reach the pass, the sun has finally settled below the skyline. Large braziers illuminate the path, which still bustles and murmurs with the people passing through.

Up ahead, the line of humans splits into three. YOu hear some shouting, the orderly authoritative kind, which resolves itself in short order.

"Form three lines! Have your possessions and person ready for inspection, by order of Lord Iezane!"

This is curious, since you aren't anywhere near the external borders of the dominion, where you'd expect to find (and possibly avoid) this kind of checkpoint.

The soliders, who are indeed clad in Iezane livery, are rummaging through wagons and parcels, rifling people's pockets, and generally getting intrusive.

What do you do?

As a further note, Asuka's pass will let her through this check point untouched, but she'd have to reveal herself as a member of the Priesthood. On the flip side, she is carrying around a trunk of deadly weapons and traveling with a literal combat monster.

And of course, other options are available to the savvy player.


Natsuyoda and The Gun

As you converse, you travel, heading towards the mountains. Other, more human souls happen upon your path as you walk. For the most part.

As you amble by wood cutters and traveling merchants and farmers bringing their wares to town, you also come across an old man surrounded by a half a dozen children. The kids are of varying ages, but no older than their early teenage years. The old man rests on a rock by the road, clearly having to take a breather while the kids roughhouse and play on the bank of the road. He's a skinny old goat, but he's walking around with quite a bit of kimen parts for somebody that age. Definitely odd.

As you draw closer, you watch him struggle to stand up under the weight of the pack on his back, chiding the kids all the while to calm down and get ready to get moving again.

What a surprise, another encounter with a plot-relevant NPC on the road.

Natsu EM: 4 - 3, which while amusing I'm going to offer you a bribe to switch it to 4 - 1, Innocence. 2 aiki if you take it.

Gun EM: 5 - 4, goodwill. Unless someone else wants to offer you some of their stash, I think I like this one.


Yurie and Tankyuusha

The young samurai rubs at his face, clearly still a little dazed from his near-death experience. 'course, not a lot of people are up on their feet minutes after having a sword removed from their ribcage, so you expect he'll be alright.

"Ahh, plenty of people want to kill a samurai, don't need a reason beyond thrills." He's dressed like a high-class warrior, or at least what he's got left to dress with, but he talks like a dirt farmer.

"This time though, they had as good a reason as any. I was trying to kill them, but in fairness, they did kidnap the love of my life."

Well. Good to see he's in such fair spirits about the whole thing. The samurai sticks out a hand to Yurie. "Thanks. Name's Mako."

EM rolls.

Yurie: 1 - 3 Desire. Not necessarily wanting to jump his samurai bones, although the bit in the book about "perhaps you just covet their physical form" does have new meaning in this context. I like it well enough that it stands, unless someone else wants to bribe you.

Tank: 4 - 1 Also innocence. Perhaps you think it's adorable lil' babby samurai is pursuing vengeance, or maybe you just think he's got the right idea. Again, stands unless you're bribed by someone else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

Jugemu was no stranger to checkpoints. A suspicious look, a patdown, an inspection of his sword, and he'd be on his way. Odd place for a checkpoint, though. And there was the matter of his companion.

"That trunk of yours is going to cause us some trouble here, I'd assume. Presumably you've got a strategy for going through these checkpoints?"

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

I can't not take that bribe.

Natsu spies the man struggling and rushes forward to offer her hand. It's a strenuous task to care for youths, so to do so by oneself, especially in such a state, shows a pure heart. Even with as many spare parts as he has, Natsu sees a life of undoubtedly human experience. "Careful," she urges, "You carry a great weight. Might I help relieve you of some of the burden?"

She should only really need one hand to lift the man and his pack. Her muscles are stronger than the tree that made them.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

The Gun starts forward as Natsuyoda does, looking to assist the old man, but it doesn't seem as though the Kugutsu will need further assistance with the box- instead, he takes a look at the children and wraps his coat around himself to hide his real body from their view. Children are a poor mix with weapons. (And given that the old man's a veteran of conflict, judging from his kijin parts, he might have run into one of the gun's previous wielders on the battlefield.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

Taken a little off-guard, Yurie blinks, taking the hand to shake. The, she realizes too late she's done so with her gunky hand, and practically shakes in embarrassment for a moment before moving to tug her hand away. "Sorrysorrysorry aaaaaahhh-", she manages, flailing her hand again before clutching it close to herself. "I'm Yurie, and this- this is Tankyuusha, but... they kidnapped your love?", she says, somewhere in the vicinity between curious and concerned.

  • Locked thread
«18 »