Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
  • Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

"Oh, that's easy. These are building supplies, you're here to make sure I don't get mugged along the way, and we're off to build a new shrine that's far past due. We're awfully busy and don't have any time for this. C'mon."

Asuka strolls on up past the lines and flashes her Pass at whoever important comes along while doing her best not to slow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

"Very well, then." Jugemu stays quiet as Asuka flashes her pass, raising his brow the first time she takes it out.

"A member of the Priesthood? I should have figured," the samurai thinks to himself.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Asuka and Jugemu

The soliders at the checkpoint grumble, and the proles standing in line glare, but Asuka's pass gets you through the checkpoint without even having to wait.

You're about to head down the other side when a voice calls out. "Ho, samurai, how much is she paying you?"

An older man in finer armor than you tend to see on a footsoldier is standing there. He looks like he's seen his fair share of combat. "Lord Iezane's looking for good blades. You look as though you might know what you're doing. How'd you like to be rich?"

Yurie and Tankyuusha

Mako looks grim, which is an impressive feat, given his current circumstances.

"Yes," he says softly. "A pack of ninja and wormhandlers took her from me, foul monsters that they are."

He spits on the ground beside him. "Stole a sick girl from her home... bastards! And left me here to die for the crime of trying to save her."

The samurai's calloused hands twitch, and there's a small part of each of you glad to not have fleshy necks.

"They've probably fled into the city," he continues. "I've got to go. If you're headed to Mitsami, watch your backs. There's no telling who these villains might attack next."

Mako bows politely to you both and starts off in the direction of Ochiai pass with only the faintest wobble in his step.

You are welcome to pursue him or leave him be as you see fit.

Natsuyoda and the Gun

The old fellow gratefully accepts the monk's help. "Thank you, miss, you're - oh, heavens, you're a strong one, aren't you? So kind of you, not many people out these days that'd help an old codger like myself."

The old fellow's pack is surprisingly heavy, even to Natsu - it's probably as heavy as he is. Something in there sloshes, something else rattles, and it smells weird and vaguely unclean. Of course, he is caring for a half-dozen kids while walking the grimy roads of Izumom, and the kugutsu is keenly aware that children leak from pretty much any hole given the opportunity, so on the balance he's pretty neat and tidy.

"Hmm, too kind of you. The kids and I were just on our way to Mitsami past the hills here to see a friend of ours, and-"

He stops yammering for a second and squints at you both. Something makes a whirring noise. "Well, you two are an odd couple, aren't you? Ah, well, no judgement from me, not to anyone who'd help out an old man and some orphans. Not enough kindness in the world these days, too much fear and hate. Of course, it wasn't much better back in my day, but that's life for you, I suppose. Come along, children, don't dally!"

The kids eventually resume rough orbits around the old man, although that doesn't put an end to some of the roughhousing. One of the little ones, young enough to be of indeterminate sex, sticks a finger in its mouth and goggles at Natsu. None of them are particularly interested in the monk's shadowy companion.

The geezer smiles placidly at the two of you. "Well, thank you both again. We've got to be headed into town before it gets dark, but if you'd like some company on the road, I expect we wouldn't mind."

The Gun is fairly certain that the old man, name not given, is not one of its previous owners nor one of its previous targets. Actually, for an old fellow with some primitive cybernetics, he's comparatively unscarred by bullet or blade, including the surgeon's scalpel. Must have been a hell of a sawbones working on this guy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

Jugemu was no stranger to his kind. He'd lost track of the times he'd been asked to work for this clan or that. He refused them all, of course, having come to prefer the life of a wanderer.

"The woman is paying me enough for lodging at our destination, and that's all I need. The life of a rich man doesn't appeal to me, nor does working for a clan."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

"Wait."

Tankyuusha re-sheaths his blade.

"Tell us of the men and of your sister. We may be able to help. If we ARE able and do indeed assist you, I ask for other information as payment. The both of us are searching for something."

He turns to the ghost totally normal girl.

"I have only a direction. I must take my chances and gain what information I can, where I can. Forgive me."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

"What?", Yurie starts, confused by Tankyuusha's apology. "Oh, that's fine, I don't mean to get in your way...", she adds, waving her hands in emphasis before drifting into silence as she averts her gaze.

She speaks up again as she looks up to Mako. "But, um, why would they just kidnap a girl like that?", she asks plainly, more puzzled than probing. "If they're using worms, doesn't that make them doctors?"

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at May 5, 2014 around 12:08

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie and Tankyuusha

Mako stops, and looks back over his shoulder.

"They took her because they're butchers, madmen, skin-thieves that'd abduct a sickly girl to experiment on her. Normal morality doesn't apply to them."

He looks Tankyuusha up and down, then turns to Yurie. "Pray, girl, that you never need their care. You'll never escape it."

The girl in question is not Mako's sister, on the chance you're serious. This is a Japanese game, but not that kinda Japanese game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

Sorry; it was a misreading and the result of having a pretty bad cold after spending a full day traveling then another day out in the sun.

"Describe them; both the girl and the thieves. I will look where I can. In return, I know not what my partner here seeks, but I ask that you give me all information about any nearby Oni or any passing through Oni you may know."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Even if there wasn't a need for a bidding war or anything, having someone try to flaunt money over her never sat well with Asuka.

"We're in a rush to get this work done and you're trying to poach my bodyguard? Really now?"

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

"Hmph!" Natsu grunts a tiny bit as she gets the elderly man to his feet.

"I would be honored to have your company, sir." She bows toward the old man, and away from the young person who seems to have taken an interest in her. When she finishes flourishing, she smiles disingenuously at the youth. "Isn't that cute."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

Yurie darts her gaze about for a moment as if unsure of what to do with her attention. Then, she says to Tankyuusha more hopefully, "Well, I can help out, if that's okay!" She doesn't suspect the samurai might have the information that she's looking for - and she's feeling more than a little wary - but she just can't walk away from this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie and Tankyuusha

Mako stops. He sighs to himself, then takes a seat on the grass.

"I can't say what she looks like these days. These bastards graft new flesh and metal onto their victims. I'm hoping I can still even recognize her."

He shifts, crossing his arms in front of him. "The kidnappers keep to themselves. They go about masked, like some perverse version of the Priesthood, when they're out in the world. They burrow into their little pits like the other wormhandlers most of the time. Anyone heavily modified is suspect."

He sighs again, clearly aware of how little information all this actually amounts to. "I can't tell you more. These people are defined by what they're not - visible, wholesome - instead of what they are. I don't ask for your assistance, but I owe you enough to caution you.

"As for oni..." The furrows on Mako's brown relax a little. He taps his thumbnail against his teeth for a few moments. "I owe you this as well, but I can't say I have any better information. I haven't heard much of any oni in this part of the world. The nearest tribe of any size is leagues away from here to the northeast, but if there are any individuals around, they're probably in Mitsami. It's the only place worth calling as such around here."

Asuka

The solider shrugs.

"If they let you priests moonlight, you're welcome to bring him along. Money spends the same no matter who holds the purse."

Natsuyoda and the Gun

Perhaps it's because The Gun's shell is kind of creepy, or perhaps it's because like cats, children gravitate to the people who like them least, but it's not long into your journey that the pack of children have begun orbiting Natsuyoda.

The old fellow, who eventually gets around to introducing himself as Hanbei, is apparently possessed of the gift of gab. He regales you with tales of astounding inconsequentiality, but occasionally there's a moment of genuine humor or pathos in his ramblings. Meanwhile, the kids keep asking the kugutsu questions about herself and where's she get the monk's clothes and how is she so pretty and what's up with the scars on her knuckles and and and. The smaller one keeps trying to braid the lower regions of Natsu's hair. At least they're comparatively clean for kids.

As the sun pivots through the sky, you eventually reach a fork in the road. To the right is the pass to Mitsami, to the left more sprawling country. Hanbei pulls up the children and makes to head down the left fork.

"Well, kind madam and sir, it's time we took our leave of you. Many miles to go, not much daylight left to cover it all in, you know how it is," he says. Vision impaired by his fox mask, one of the kids bounces off the Gun's shell, then gets right back up and starts running around again. "Your kindness and company, of course, are appreciated. Fortune smile on you both, now."

If you want to say anything to Hanbei, now'd be the time. Otherwise, you have a checkpoint to cross or avoid as you see fit. What do you do?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

The Gun doesn't so much as blink when bounced off of- actually, at this point, it's still not clear whether he actually has eyes or just sort of sees everything at waist level from his real body, or what. He does bow low to Hanbei. "May you and your be safe on the road ahead."

He waits until Hanbei and his troupe of children are on their way to make sure that nothing's gone missing from or been added to his belt or bags, perhaps feeling that it wouldn't be polite to be suspicious of them while in their presence.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

The Gun

Nothing's missing! Yours or Natsu's, for that matter.

Not that it's much of a concern for you, given your comparatively simple need for worldly goods.

Still, could it be he really was just a weird old man taking care of some children?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 5 | Goal: To be truly free 2 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 2

"Now, are we done here? I'd like to keep on going."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Despite being tempted to draw out more arguing, Asuka figures the less important she is here the better and gives in.

Yep, I'm good to go.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Jugemu and Asuka

The soldier shrugs and waves you through.

Mitsami nestles between the mountainside and the shore beyond, faintly glimmering in the night. The harbor's closed down in the dark, but you can still hear the sounds of city life filtering up even through here.

May not be the capital, but it's still a lot more of a place than anywhere else around here.

It might be a good time to find/buy/steal some lodging.

That's pretty much the end of your act. You two can horse around together while everyone catches up, and we'll do intermission.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

"Well, then, you can't just sit down.", Yurei points out, offering her hand to the samurai. Looking to Tankyuusha, she adds, "And you'll want to go too, right? If what you're looking for is there?"

She looks between the two, looking more energetic. Excited, even. "We can't slow down if you're going to save her!", she adds more pointedly to the samurai.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

She allows the runt to put in what little braids they can while she walks. Outer beauty has fallen down her priorities, and speaking of which:

"I received them from the master of the Myori Monastery. I'm a practicing m-nun.

"Oh, thank you. I used to spend a long time masking my face with different pastes. Now I hone my body with martial arts exercises, helping keep me strong and lean.

"My knuckles, of course, are from my fight training. When I'm not sparring with my fellow monks, and nuns, I'm striking wooden targets with posts in them. It doesn't hurt if I do it correctly.

"I'm glad you're all so interested! If you want, I can give Mr. Hanbei directions to the monastery for when you're old enough to travel by yourself."

Natsu smiles and bows to Hanbei. "Thank you. May your travels bring you peace."

E: Since she has no reason to fear authorities, Natsu proceeds to the checkpoint.

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at May 8, 2014 around 05:49

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Alright, that seems sufficiently clear for each team. Same proposition to the rest of you - bypass the checkpoint or get hassled, pick one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


I can't see why a samurai, kongohki, and a ghost young woman traveling about would be harassed or questioned! Why, the idea is ridiculous!

Also, that was sarcasm.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

I am sure they don't try to confiscate weapons or anything at these things, so obviously there won't be any kind of issue at all! (Yes hassle.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Okay. The checkpoint is as it was described above, only Natsu and the Gun get there at dusk. Tell us what you guys do to convince the guards you are totally boring, completely uninteresting humans.

I dunno if Cirno's going to have a chance to post today, so we'll hold off on the two of you unless you have really, really strong feelings about what to do, ARB.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

"Agreed."

Tankyuusha feels a sensation he thinks would be associated with smiling, albeit in the absence of any actual ability to smile.

"Samurai, I take your information as coin of purchase; until our debt is equaled I am your blade and bullet, hand and hound. And I think you will be a greater master then others I have served."

Sorry; mostly better now, I should be able to return to posting at a normal pace, ALSO HASSLED FOR SURE.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at May 8, 2014 around 07:38

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie and Tankyuusha

The afternoon sun beats down fiercely on the three of you as you approach the checkpoint. Mako doesn't seem to mind, and it's not like either of you are really going to be sweating much any time soon either.

You wait in the line, sweltering for a bit. A few of the locals have the right idea, and they've wrapped themselves up in cloaks to keep the sun off. It's boring, and mind-numbing, and there's a baby crying in one of the lines, and boring/

Mako passes through with only a little bit of we'll-be-watching, and some snappy-dressed jerk shouts something at him as he marches past, but the kongohki gets stopped. The soldier at the checkpoint puts a pike in Tankyuusha's path and sneers. It's clear he intends to alleviate some of the drudgery with the kongohki's help.

"Where do you think you're going, tin man? This line's for people."

A few other soldiers gather around, armed with pikes or rifles. They don't look quite as eager to antagonize the murder machine as this rear end in a top hat.

"Come on, speak up? You got some papers, doll? You got an owner, huh?"

One of the other soldiers whispers something. The guy getting in Tankyuusha's face whirls on him. "You see any Priesthood markings on it? The little girl in the line got a mask on? Then it ain't Priesthood!"

The jerk spins back to the kongohki. "Heard stories about a monster around here loves to cut up toys like you. Better watch your step, tin man."

I dunno what they're referencing either, since it's clearly not The Wizard of Oz, but here we are anyway.

How do Tankyuusha and Yurie react?

Meanwhile, again, what are Natsu and the Gun doing to show off how totally mundane and completely human they are to the checkpoint guards?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

How secure is the city and this gate in?

Tankyuusha isn't stupid; he knows he is not a great liar.

So the key is to not lie. Technically.

"Young mistress, I have been instructed to ensure your safety to this city. The one I serve cannot give their identity for fear of indiscretions being discovered, and thus I cannot give such identification to these soldiers, though I am sure the would be...most understanding of they had to silence word of violence against you. Your orders, mistress?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

For you? Not very. There's mountains and one road large enough headed through them. Ocean on the other side that's not hills. You'd have problems getting through the pass with an army, but you could just go right over the mountain or walk along the ocean floor.

The checkpoint is manned, but if you decided to open up, you could brush past it no problems. Some of these guys are gonna die in the process, though.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

When checkpoint guards come to search Natsu's belongings, she mentions off-hand, "You won't find much, I assure you. I've long since abandoned material thirst."

She has, for the most part. Her possessions are rather plain; a change of robes, a few small rations, and an adequate sum of ryo--enough to pay a toll when it comes up, but not by much.

On her person is the rosary wrapped on her wrist, and the small unpolished medallion around her neck, showing "Sun of Summer" written over a stylized sun. "My name is Summer. These trinkets are gifts from an acquaintance. I could not yet bring myself to take them off." She's not aware if people have heard of Mabou; it would surprise her if they had.

And what's her business at the pass? "Mitsami is a spirited town. I hope to dip my feet in the social environment, gain a greater sense of unity from the experience here and be on my way." This will be done by defeating the in-house martial arts masters and meditating on the bouts, allowing her the inner strength to gain a broader awareness of the world and its workings. When she has proven to be strongest of the land and given up all earthly ties, she should be nearly omniscient and that much closer to transcending her mortal body, at which point she will retire to a secluded place and record her life's journey.

Yes, she's already thought that far ahead.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

Arriving at dusk at least means that the gun's shadowy non-features are not as immediately noticeable as you might think. As for his possessions, well, there's, uh...itself, and the ammo for it, and little else other than some books on shooting techniques, with notes scribbled in the margins by a hand that's still figuring out just how this whole 'writing' business works. Questions as to his purpose are either answered with a simple "Just passing through" or "Nothing important" or just blank, uncomfortable stares.

His ability to mimic humanity without suspicion is flawless. Or wait, the other thing. Flawful. Full of flaw.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

Yurie's hand grips her kimono with both hands, bunching it up a bit. The fury still comes pretty easily, but she can at least wrestle with it. There's a moment of tension, but it at least fades as she moves to play along.

"Wait, no, this is my bodyguard-", she says to the guard before looking up at the kongohki. "- don't worry, you don't have to hurt him, I'm sure he'll let us past.", she says to Tankyuusha, before looking to the guard with wide, pleading eyes.

Rolling Empathy/Persuasion for 1 success!

Also behind on handing out Aiki, so let's give Tankyuusha an aiki for trying to be a tricky ghost robot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


An aiki to The Gun for the word flawful.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Natsuyoda and The Gun

The guard on duty who processes you starts grimacing as soon as the living doll opens her mouth. Fearing your life story, he quickly waves you and your mysterious traveling companion through.

Behind the sorting line is a substantially cleaner-looking soldier, probably an officer. He spies you two among the throng of peasants and merchants and ambles over.

"Howdy, gunslinger, maybe-" he starts. His eyes unfocus a bit and his jaw works, then he rounds on Natsuyoda. "Lady monk, my lord seeks the strongest and bravest in the city for a special task, with due compensation. Are you interested?"

Yurie and Tankyuusha

The soldier's eyes narrow. "Won't hurt me, you piece of poo poo-"

He shoves Yurie out of the way, and his hand begins moving for the rifle slung at his side.

You have time to defuse or escalate, but you need to make your decision quickly.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!


Tankyuusha
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot

Moving faster then any man of meat or bone could, Tankyuusha shifts to position himself between the soldier and the girl. And, conveniently, to arms reach of the rifleman.

"Enough. I am here by authority of my master to ensure her safety into this town, not to attack guardsman. If you wish me gone, then allow her entry - and I not. There is no need for anyone, you or I, to be injured in our lines of work. I am kongohki; it is reasonable to suspect something of me with no priest identification. But unless you have reason to suspect an unarmed young girl is dangerous to you - a decision I'm sure your friends there beside you would love to hear about tonight when your shift ends, and possibly again every night when you go out for drinks - then the solution seems an easy one. She walks in. I walk away. Your duty is done, as is mine."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 5 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3

Yurie peers around Tankyuusha, looking suitably frightened. Probably not quite frightened enough. The idea of getting shot, dragged off, and then haunting this thuggish guard later is an idea with increasing appeal the more the guard's mouth moves.

Life is wasted on the living, as a wise man once said.

Indeed, The Gun deserves an aiki for "flawful", let's give him another!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at May 11, 2014 around 20:07

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Aiki to Tankyuusha for just straight up mocking a guard in front of all his buddies.

Finals are over for me so I might write better and not feel as awful!

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

It seems the guard has been hit by Natsuyoda's preemptive strike: with as much disdain as she puts into her beauty, it still has its use. However, she wants to make sure he knows exactly where his lord will be waiting for them. It would be a shame if the officer was so stricken by her looks that he led them astray.

"I accept," she states plainly, raising one hand up to shoulder height with its back facing the man. She grips her wrist with her other hand, putting her scarred knuckles in the foreground. They've probably seen more danger in training than the officer has in his whole career. "I am not called Such Strength for nothing, after all. I trust you know where we can meet your lord, yes?"

Using Persuasion/Empathy to keep this officer on the right track. 3 successes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie and Tankyuusha

A few of the other soldiers toward the back of the checkpoint snicker. Not the man Tankyuusha's cornered. It's been a long time since the kongohki's seen a stare that hate-filled.

A long time.

He yields, watching the both of you as you pass.

Mitsami lies at your feet.

End of act for you two.

Natsuyoda and The Gun

The officer is impressed by Natsu's effrontery. Anyone who would suggest something so impolite to a member of the nobility must either be stupid or very brave. Either way, you seem to meet his criteria.

"Tomorrow, be in front of the palace's west gate. There, you will receive your instructions and the first portion of your generous payment."

Everybody: Be thinking about intermission and if you're going to inflict any fates on the others, or if you've got special plans for yourselves.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.

The Gun, is, presumably, pleased that his deception of the guard went so well! But at least he doesn't smile. He glances between the officer and the nun, and as the man leaves, asides to Natsuyoda, "Somehow, I suspect that what that man wants of us may not be...good. But I suppose it's a rare instance that allows me to call myself a hired gun." Oh god, it's trying to figure out humor, the world is doomed.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Question while we wait. Does The Gun actually understand the mechanism for smiling in humans, or does it treat the expression more like chimps and other predators do, where it's a threat gesture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

grassy gnoll posted:

Question while we wait. Does The Gun actually understand the mechanism for smiling in humans, or does it treat the expression more like chimps and other predators do, where it's a threat gesture?

It understands, it is just Jones-level bad at it, aggravated by 'does not normally have a mouth or real facial features, just forms them on occasion.'

  • Locked thread
«18 »