Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
  • Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


We can only purchase one Fate per intermission, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 4 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 3 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 2

"Thank you." Natsuyoda bows to the officer, trying as hard as she can not to relish in her brazenness. It's not healthy to lay it on, but his body language scratched at her.

Curse my dignity, and curse my strength. She sighs the bad thoughts away and continues aside the Gun. "Embrace your current life. If we correct the wrongs of this land, be it our task or the refusal thereof, we may yet find you release."

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at May 13, 2014 around 22:33

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

That'll do.

Act one intermission! Convert aiki to kiai as you see fit, increase any of your fates by one point per fate, buy a new fate for yourself or others.

Deadline to do this stuff is about twenty-four hours from the timestamp of this post. You won't be kicked out if you're not done with intermission, but we need to keep going, so any cool poo poo you wanted to do in the interim will just have to wait if it's not done by deadline.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


I'm going to bump up Samurai Calm and To Be Truly Free to 3 and use one of my Aiki to roll for Kiai.

5 more Kiai.


Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Buying a Fate (Goal: Rescue the love of Mako's Life 2) for 1 Aiki! Then bumping it to 3. Seems like it'll be a good idea to have a scratch-off fate; it might be too late to pick it up or bump it later.

Feels a little early to buy Fates for others, or I'm just experiencing a cleverness deficiency, I'll have to think about that.

Dumping my Aiki left into Kiai, whee. Result is 4 extra Kiai!


Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!


Firstly, Natsu wants to see the Gun become a better "person." Let's write "Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment (2)." Then let's make it a 3.

Bumping Destiny: To Be Strongest in All Tenra to 4 now that Natsu has a reason to be strong, as well as Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart to 3 for similar reasons. () All in all, I have 60 karma's worth of Fates ready for shrinkage. That's a cool feeling.

I want to roll two Aiki. 7 successes each! (Rolled it before bumping fates. One 4 in each roll for some awesome reason.

She realizes she's entering a dangerous situation. She's going to need Willpower to survive. Let's raise that to 2. (Karma: 75)


pre:
BOD: 6     Vitality: 11
AGI: 8     Soul: 16
SEN: 4     Wounds: 
KNO: 3     L: ()()()()()()
SPI: 5     H: ()()()
EMP: 8     C: ()()
STA: 6     D: ()

Skills:			
Unarmed Combat (4), Art of War: Fist of Merciful Kannon the Thousand-Armed (3),
Notice (3), Pursuit (3), Persuasion (3), First Aid (2), Willpower (2)

Equipment: Sun of Summer amulet, Summer Thunder rosary
Equip Cost: 0
Martial Arts: Damage +10
Special Abilities: The Butterfly Dream

Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 13 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Rather Watch Them fucked around with this message at May 14, 2014 around 01:46

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

IT'S FATE TIME! I think I will concur with ARB, but mine is going to be bumping up Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot; for Tankyuusha this is just as much about punishing the wrongdooers as it is about helping the samurai. I will then spend two Aiki to work off that Emotional Matrix reaction I got earlier towards Yurie and give myself Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? I need to get more aiki to charge my broken memories and get back on the case of the oni girl...well, later, ahaha.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun
Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 0 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 2.


I'm going to add a fate of Goal: Explore the human world at 2. He's interacting with humans more, and it's becoming increasingly clear that he doesn't quite 'get' them. I'm going to raise it and "Atone for Sins of past wielders to 3.

Gonna my remaining aiki into Kiai, for a total of...15. Annnd that's it for now.


Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 15 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at May 14, 2014 around 06:20

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


I'm not super sure what fates I could really think to buy either for me or for someone else right now, and I can't increase my fates because it would exceed my Karma. I guess I'll generate some Kiai with two of my Aiki and hopefully I'm rolling this right. Kiai Roll: 2#2d6u4 2 1

3 Kiai total, and I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't just be better off sticking with Aiki given my incredibly terrible Empathy. I guess that's it, not quite sure if there's anything else notable I could do.


Asuka
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

ACT TWO

Yurie and Tankyuusha

The two of you and Mako spend the night in an abandoned house on the edge of town at the foot of the mountains. It's cold and crappy, but you're all pretty well inured to this kind of thing by now.

Dawn breaks. Light filters into the hovel, revealing all of you are awake, if you've even slept. If you even sleep.

Mako is sitting cross-legged, hugging his sword to his body. "We should search the city," he says. "They have to be here somewhere."

It shouldn't take long - Mitsami is a small place, but then it's also still a city full of thousands of people. Are you going to split up to search for your target(s), or are you going to stick together?

And if you split up, tell me where you go. Be inventive.

Natsuyoda and The Gun

The Gun is along for the ride here if it so desire, otherwise I guess it can hang out for a bit.

There's a Phoenix sect temple in town. As long as everybody's polite, they're able to extend the monk and her companion a place to stay.

One of the monks is interested in showing the Gun the path to salvation! How nice. In fact, he kinda bogarts the weapon's time. Who's the beacon of salvation here, huh?

Come the morning, though, it's time to show up for whatever it is the local lord wants of you.

The plaza beside Lord Iezane's palace is not what you'd call well-populated. There's the two of you, of course, and the officer who recruited you in the first place. The others milling about include an older, gruff-looking guy with a bunch of mechanica implants, a gawky-looking fellow wearing a fox mask who's festooned with knives, two people wearing unseasonably warm cloaks with hoods, and a kid. One of the cloaked people is basically a mystery - you can't make anything out under the folds of fabric, and the other is a tanned lady with a giant sword. Sword lady is kind of edging around the kid, giving him the hairy eyeball from time to time. The kid, for his part, doesn't seem to notice. He seems like he's daydreaming more than anything, honestly.

The officer clears his throat.

"Good morning. You are here because Lord Iezane requires you to be. Insalubrious elements of society have made threats on his person and his property. These outrageous brigands are brazen to a fault - they have outright said they plan to strike this week. Your job is to find them before they strike."

The officer motions behind him. Two soldiers, well-armed and clearly veterans from their grizzled demeanor, march up with a small iron chest in tow. They open it, withdrawing a couple of purses. Something glitters deeper inside the box.

"You will each receive five-hundred ryo as your initial payment and investigation funding. The individual that brings us the culprits will receive an additional, substantial gift and his Lordship's favor."

The lid slams shut. "Get to work."

You know... an unethical person would just find some evidence to pin on some poor dumb bastard who can't fight back. It'd be easy money.

The crowd around the money box begins to disperse, each carrying more money than a farmer would see in their lifetime.

Asuka and Jugemu

The inn you stayed at last night might not be the fanciest place in town, but the accomodations are clean and the food's alright, and perhaps most importantly, the proprietor was willing to put the whole thing on the Priesthood's tab. So very kind of the organization.

The clientele, mostly merchants and other wealthy undesirables, give you some strong looks as you sit down for breakfast, but eventually they go back to ignoring the priest and her pet monster in favor of local gossip.

"As I was saying, you have to look at it from a business perspective. If you kill Lord Iezane, you get unknowns introduced. A new lord may be a complete tyrant, squeezing the land for all it's worth. There's a one-time profit to be had that way, and then everyone's impoverished. Bad business sense."

"Anyone who'd send a regent an open threat, and then specify when they're going to show up, isn't really what I'd call a rational actor."

The first speaker waves a pudgy hand in dismissal. "Just because you're a lunatic doesn't mean you can't make an objective appraisal of a situation to your benefit. Why kill the cow when you can milk it? Why kill a regent when you can pilfer the riches only a regent can have?"

"There's plenty more money to be made stealing from the likes of us than a man surrounded by an army."

"Now you've gone around the other side of things. Think treasure, not just gold."

"Like?"

"Jewels, works of art, the meiky-" The merchant stops himself, teacup nearly to his lips, and glances quickly at Asuka. His dining companion gives a thin smile.

"The... makings of... a great haul," the first merchant finishes. He mutters something that sounds an awful lot like "bastard."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

As Jugemu sits down, he smiles to himself overhearing the men scheme. He had seen many thieves and criminals in his time, and these two were no different. He rubs his chin in thought and turns to Asuka.

"What do you make of them?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

No, Yurie doesn't sleep. She huddles and stares, and sometimes wanders around, sometimes a little ways away. Of course, her appearance might give the impression that the little hovel is haunted, for those who wander by. Maybe she's standing guard, in her way, but she's not very talkative.

But by morning, she's looking relatively solid, and poking Mako with a stick to wake him up. It's almost like she's in more of a hurry than he is. Or maybe just less resigned. After he's up, she moves to the door, before looking back. "I could go to the market and ask around, see if anybody's seen anything... what does she look like?"

She's also concerned, but hopeful; she wants to go to the market! Two birds, one stone! Even if it's not very fair to the birds...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun


Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 15 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3


The gun takes in all advice on the proper path to salvation with all the patience and complete lack of real understanding that an inanimate object can muster, which is quite a bit. It's kind of hard to convince a being completely made of the earthly regrets of others to give up that burden right away, after all.

At the plaza, he's more interested in the others there than the reward- his experience with money is mostly "People killed others over it, often using me". In particular, the other shadowy, faceless hooded figure draws a good chunk of his attention. Maybe they're a relative!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Leaning towards the group of men, Asuka puts on a grin and pipes up.

"Seems a bit self serving to say you're a better target than one of the most important men around these parts, but then I suppose it's tamer than talking about his death. Last I heard they were looking for hired help picked out of about anywhere. Now what exactly would put a lord so on edge as to go around doing that, hm?"

Asuka takes a large gulp of her soup, coughing as she ends up too focused on somehow trying to look intimidating instead of not breathing miso.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Natsu forces herself to take the money, already making plans of where to donate the excess and departs without a word.

Where would a braggart who threatens the life of a Lord possibly hide? Perhaps in this inn?

Spending a Kiai to join Asuka and Jugemu's scene.

She opens the front doors just in time to hear the two merchants' conversation. She dips down beside Jugemu as inconspicuously as she can and leers from the corner of her eye as Asuka provokes them.

She whispers in Jugemu's earshot, "Lord Iezane would be wise to have stepped up security. It would then be logical that both parties are hiding somewhere. But where?" She bothers to look in his direction. "Oh. Hello."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Brief update: Aiki for RWT for taking the initiative to jump into someone else's scene and save me some trouble. I'ma let this scene play out. I am quite curious as to how you guys are going to react to this weirdo monk sitting down at your table. I'm also going to say that while unless Jugemu has something in his background we don't know about that'd make him familiar, he's not aware of what Natsu is, while Asuka has her immediately clocked.

The Gun

As your fellow mercenaries part ways, you try and take a peek at the mysterious hooded figure. Unfortunately, you're not particularly subtle, and the person underneath takes off in a flash of silver. They're either wearing some high-grade armor or they're kijin. Either way, though, they're pretty drat fast, faster than you can move in this form.

Of course, you can think in the abstract, there's not much that's faster than a bullet.

Rolled for you to speed things along, using your default Notice 1. No successes.

Yurie

Mako sighs. "I can't say for sure. She'd be in her early twenties by now, on the short side, and profoundly sick. Beyond that, I don't know what the wormhandlers would have done to her. You'd be better served looking for those vermin and tracing them back to their nests."

Mako stands and shoves his sword into his belt. "I'll take the docks, then. I doubt they'd be near the water, but if we can close off their escape routes, it won't matter where they hide." Well, that sounded reasonable!

The market's kind of in-between the palace area in the center of town and the docks. The idea is that stuff comes in from the port and the lord of this province gets first crack at it, and everything has to pass through his accountants and surveyors and assayers before it gets in and out of Mitsami. The surrounding area is where the dockworkers and shipwrights and so on live - lower class dwellings, but not the dirt farmers that live at the foot of the mountains.

The market itself is one or two city blocks, depending on what's come in lately. Lot of fish, lot of other seafood up for sale today. A couple of traveling merchants have set up stalls with more exotic goods, there's a few prepared food vendors, and there's a spot or two you could claim, if you felt the sudden desire to get into the trading racket. Being a revenge-driven ghost, however, you presumably hold yourself to higher standards.

There's also a soldier or two wandering through every couple of minutes to keep the thieves and rabble down. The local lord clearly doesn't like it when people mess with his tax base.

Was Yurie looking for any particular thing? Apart from Mako's missing girlfriend, presumably.

Meanwhile, what's Tankyuusha up to?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

Tankyuusha also does not sleep, but he does sit and simply...shut off, for the night.

He listens silently to the girl and the samurai speak, until answering himself.

"I will search the outskirts of town. The wormcharmers tend to stick to themselves. Many people do not notice kongohki. They will likely talk freely around me, though hopefully not just ABOUT me. We should regroup around noon, here."

And so he begins. He paces the outside of the town, keeping eyes and ears - er, audio and visual senses open. He doesn't actually have eyes or ears. He was certain the wormcharmers would have some means of identifying themselves...he just had to find what didn't belong. He knew how to spot that. He had seen how others treated him.

Hunting/Pursuit: 10d6t4 5

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3


Still, wormcharmers and kidnappers need to shop, don't they? To some extent, though, Yurie's gawking at things like clay frogs, fanciful lanterns, and sushi on beds of rice. Just because she's been an angry ghost doesn't mean she isn't a hungry ghost...

That aside, she is at least making a go at trying to find - "Excuse me, have you seen an... an... worm... annelid user? My brother's sick." "Um, I'm looking for worm master, are there any around town? It's for my brother." "Ah, hello? Hello? My brother's sick, and I was hoping that there was an insect doctor? Does somebody-"

Even if she doesn't find one, maybe she'll at least get the attention of some. Maybe even some bad ones. She's not so afraid of a few bugs! She's a fearsome and monstrous ghost.

Or, at least, that's what she keeps telling herself.

Rolled Knowledge/Information with 1 success.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at May 18, 2014 around 21:05

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Yeah, he's not aware.

Jugemu looks over to the girl who just whispered in his ear. "Hello there." He turns back to the two men, assuming that the girl wanted him to repeat what she just said.

"Lord Iezane has probably stepped up security already, and it's not too unreasonable to assume that he's hiding somewhere as well."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha

The kongohki prowls around the edges of Mitsami, trapped between sea and mountain.

Squalor and poverty reign in this place. The lucky folk out here are the ones who have enough land through the pass to scrape some rice out of. Those people are few and far between.

It's not much of a surprise, then, that you manage to find a colony of annelidists in short order. It's their kind of place all around. You're able to maintain a stealthy watch over them for a while. There's maybe three or four of them, you think - some of them are out and about, picking through the locals, while some say in their nest.

You also get a good idea of their patients. There's a lot of accident victims, people mangled at the loading docks or off ships, or coming in from the farms. A few disease cases, who they shuffle off somewhere deeper in the melange of buildings they've set up shop in. Some old people and kids with the usual ailments of the flesh when you're that age, but they're few and far between.

From the outside, it looks like a couple of abandoned houses have been mushed together and sealed up at the joins with some kind of organic poo poo that you find vaguely unsettling, despite your personal state of affairs. Or maybe because of it? The locals don't seem to pay it any mind, but then you haven't seen a single soul come down here that looks like they've ever seen a gold coin in their entire lives - crushing poverty is a powerful equalizer in the society of Tenra.

What else would you like to know about this local pack of Miyazaki NPCs?

Yurie-esque

Most of the locals and merchants are dismissive of you in the extreme. For one, you're not shoving money into their faces. For two, the second the mention of the annelidists leaves your lips, they shut down. Those kind of people are not discussed in polite society. A few of them, somewhat appropriately, react as though you just asked them to eat a bug. The others just shoo you away or threaten to call the constabulary if you don't buy something.

Tired and without much success, you take a breather after a couple of hours, leaning against the wall of a teahouse and savoring the shade in the increasingly warm day. There's a couple of other people sharing the shadow with you, an old guy and a kid with him, a pair of traders, and an old lady who hums to herself constantly.

After a couple minutes, the old guy with the kid points an eye at you, which is the only one he's got left. "What's a kid like you looking for an annelidist for, anyway?"

Well, you didn't think you were being that blunt about it.

Jugemu and Asuka

The skinny merchant pulls his teeth back from his gums, while his tubbier companion scowls intensely into his cup.

"Oh no," says the skinny fellow. "That wouldn't do. Our august lord would never let such a thing cow him. Just wouldn't do, you know."

"Shut up," says the other one. In an apparent disregard for irony, he says "You talk too much. People might hear you."

Aiki for Waffleman for being That Guy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Yurie was a bumpkin. Then dead. Then a ghost. She's only started to understand there is such a thing as social graces.

"Huh?", Yurie says, a little surprised, and then ohs. She considers for a moment, and then says, "I know somebody that was being treated by them, but I haven't seen them in a while, so I was going to check up. I had heard they were taken there, but... I don't really know where to look." She looks down into her lap, looking a little dejected as her bangs fall over her face.

Been lax in aiki distro, so let's give one for Asuka for her souptimidation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie

"Not in the nice part of town, that's for sure," the old guy drawls. He scratches at the mechanical appliance around his right eye, then taps on his chin. "Might know a few of them, though. You got a name attached to that patient?"

He's clearly testing you, which you are aware of in-character. What you do with this information is your own call.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

"..." Well, that isn't a test she's going to pass, as she wracks her brain. Mako didn't give her a name, did he. Why not? In fact, he dodged around what she looked like, too. In fact, he didn't give them much to go on at all, really. Odd.

Rising up, she bows. "I'm sorry, but I have to go!", she says suddenly. "Sorry!", she repeats, and then starts jogging her way towards the docks hurriedly.

Current Mood: Irritated.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun


Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

Had to think about a response for a bit, sorry for slow reply.

The gun is, to be frank, slightly competitive- it's in the nature of a weapon that's been used in so many duels. And so as the other cloaked figure takes off in such a hurry, it's even more intrigued about the secrecy of the whole thing. So it drops some of the pretense of solidity and takes off at the speed of a bullet in pursuit. Of course, it doesn't really know this town, and may well get lost...

Triggering Incorporeal and super-speed to take off after the other mercenary...and spending one Kiai to stumble into someone else's scene if I can't catch it. Given he can currently pass through walls and is sort of chasing something at random through the streets, he could potentially wind up in anyone else's, really.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie

The docks are populated mostly with rough characters who lift things for a living, either on land or on sea. Rickety sailing ships berth alongside the more modern steam vessels. There's not a lot of loading and unloading going on right now, but you're not a commercial expert, so it's hard to tell if that's 'cause there's not a lot of merchant traffic here or because of some wider problem.

You continuing your search at the docks, or just picking a convenient area to hide in?

The Gun

The mercenary is fast. drat fast. Now, the thing is, you can burst through buildings like they aren't there no problem. That isn't so helpful when your target disappears.

Seriously, just straight up gone. How the hell did they do that?

You must have lost them somewhere back in town. They'd be pretty obvious out here in the rathole outskirts.

Uh, almost as obvious as that giant clockwork person skulking around on the roofs. Hmmm.

Pursuit: 1 sux. Not good enough to keep up, but good enough to bump into Tankyuusha.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Jugemu chuckles to himself. "You'd think so, but when the cards are on the table, the higher-class types usually focus more on number one, so to speak."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Asuka heaves out a sigh as she wipes away drops of soup absorbing into her clothes.

"Well sure, he's probably spooked by something and ferreted away because of it, but what would have caused that? I highly doubt a lord's gone into such a panic over some big bad thief wanting to steal his fancy jewelry."

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Natsuyoda rests her chin on the back of her hands, watching the host party water her seedling.

"But if the Lord is taking precautions, so should our perp, right? The whole pass will be looking for them, except of course for dissenters. It would then be wise to seek the shadows."

She stands up from the table. "Is there anywhere here with a bad reputation? A slum, maybe?"

... She looks around the room and nervously sits back down.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Looking around, Yurie searches for Mako intently. She'd like to see him before he sees her, but it's a mild preference. Getting to see how he acts away from them... well, she was suspicious on the road, and though she softened a bit, she's suspicious again now! And so she quietly combs the docks, trying to use her light feet to keep from attracting too much attention.

Making an Agility/Stealth roll with 1 success. Let me know if I have to make an Information or Notice check or the like.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Asuka, Jugemu and Natsuyoda

Everyone in this nice rich folks' inn turns to look at Natsuyoda. The jangle of jewelery and shuffling of silks suggests that no, no one here is from a slum. Pointedly, if the glare of the proprietor is anything to go by.

You get the sense that acting in a less than diplomatic fashion in here might get you all tossed out.

The two merchants at the other table are giving you all the stink-eye at this point. They're not likely to be forthcoming with more info, unless you've got a very clever plan.


Yurie

You take the initiative to go insubstantial, like you did sneaking up on those yokai messing with that shrine. With just enough of you poking out of the ground or nearby walls, it's actually pretty easy to sneak up on Mako, though it does take a while to find him.

You shadow him for a while. He's going around, talking to anybody who looks a little hang-dog or down on their luck, which is a decent number of folks in this part of town. You stay back so that you don't get spotted yourself, so it's a little hard to make out what he's saying, but you pick up words like "girl" and "sick" and "worm." You think you hear a name in there too, but you can't be sure - Hino? Mino? Something like that. He's making the pretty universal gesture for "about this tall" every so often, indicating a person shorter than himself.

You could be more certain of what he's asking, but you'd need to get closer. On the surface of things, it seems like he was telling the truth. But who can ever really know someone, deep down, let alone a person you met just a day ago?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Also, it's not hard to just float under the docks or water, so Yurie does indeed move to get closer, slipping underneath most things. Like a buried corpse. It is comfy and relaxing to be out of the harsh light, but she tries to keep her focus on the samurai's doings.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Natsu blankly sits in mortified humility.

She whispers, "It appears I've botched that idea. If you're interested in investigating this further, I'll be outside. Thank you for humoring me."

Natsu walks outside at a brisk but controlled pace, refusing to make eye contact with anyone in the inn.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Jugemu sighs in exasperation.

"What do you think, Asuka? Should we stay here or follow the lass?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

Ahhhh sorry again, I'll be good from now on. The semester is almost over, and outside of a bit of stress come August when I move back to the States, it should be smooth sailing - GIVING tests, once they're written is super easy, it turns out!

Tankyuusha stares at the building with open disgust and curiosity. He didn't know much about the wormtamers. Well, that's being unfair. He didn't know anything about the wormtamers. Was this what they did though? It seemed...distinctly inhuman.

At the same time, a great many people in need were coming to them for help.

At the same time, he'd seen this before, but outside a gang leader's house.

Slowly, unaware that he may be watched, the kongohki begins to leave his perch, returning to the streets. As he approaches the annelidist nest, he begins eyeing the local citizenry more. How were they paying for this? There is always a price, be it known or unknown, for services rendered. What were the wormtamers doing? Were any entering the nest?

Were any leaving?

All the while, not too far away, someone watches Tankyuusha. And good lord, does that kongohki look suspicious. Brazen, even.

COME AT ME BRO.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Asuka throws her arms up in an exaggerated shrug at Jugemu.

"Probably better than we'll get sticking around here. Not really sure why someone like that's just out and about anyways, got me a bit curious."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun


Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

So, well, the giant obvious murder robot is the most obvious and out of place thing here. And possibly menacing poor people! And hey, the guy the Gun was just chasing has machine parts, too, maybe they're related. All that adds up to...

...Tankyuusha hears the click of someone pulling back the hammer on a soulgem revolver, as the Gun ghosts out from a wall behind the Konghoki. "I hope you are not planning anything too untoward for these poor folk around us. I have not been fired in anger in some time."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie

You slink (float?) closer to Mako as he interviews a stevedore.

"Hey, pal. I'm looking for a girl, a little younger than me, about this tall. Sickly looking, probably a lot of metal parts."

"I dunno, samurai, I got a bad memory, you know?"

Mako sighs, but launches into a clearly practiced response. "She's a childhood friend, she's sick and she's dying. Help me out here."

The hauler grunts to himself. "Ain't seen her. Now get lost."

Mako sighs again and ambles over to a nearby wall, leaning against it and taking in some shade.

"I didn't know you could phase through walls," he says.

Oops.

Tankyuusha

A few of the people filing into the worm den are bringing baskets of food or items of clothing, serious subsistence-level barter stuff. You figure one in four people going in have tribute in this fashion. Straight up nobody going in has the kind of coin any extortionist would be interested in, unless they're a hell of a disguise artist.

Everyone able-bodied that goes in comes back out. Every so often, what you take to be some runners dart in and out. They're kids, probably between five and ten. They have sacks on their backs that go out empty and come in full. Dirty urchins probably wouldn't get a second glance anywhere in the city that isn't the regent's palace.

Click

Asuka, Jugemu and Natsuyoda

The world is your weird, socially-awkward, possibly-criminally-wanted oyster. What do you do now?

Aiki for UL for the "I have not been fired" slipup.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 0 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Yurie looks mortified, and then pulls herself out into the shade meekly. She doesn't have a response to his needling, mind. She can do lots of things he doesn't know about, but it's not like he asked. In the vein of questions, however, she looks up at him, the embarrassment fading as her expression becomes intent.

"What's her name?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie

"Mino. She was going to die, wasting away, if she didn't get their help."

He's feeling conversational, apparently. "Doesn't make it right what they did to her."

Wakka wakka mortified take an aiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

"Very well then. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious as well." Jugemu stands up, securing his sword by his side, and makes his way outside.

  • Locked thread
«18 »