Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
  • Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Yurie is certainly off-guard, and she manages two blinks before returning to face the teen and echoing, "Taller? Do you wear geta?" The question is somewhere between honest and defensive. After all, the word peasant... well, it's accurate enough, but it does make her frown a bit, before peering closer at the metal bowl.

Anger over such things is easy enough for her. But the confusion does offset it in about equal measure.

Going to pass on an aiki to Tankyuusha for Mask vs. Mask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie

Mako frowns at the child. He's got an impressive surly face for somebody so comparatively young.

The kid gives a laugh that sounds mostly sincere. "Ah, rustic humor! No, no, just stretching my legs, so to speak."

You take a quick look into the bowl. It's covered in delicate wiring and contact points and cables. In fact, you recognize that it is not a bowl, but a yoroi armour interface helmet.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

The gun forms enough of a mouth to frown visibly. "I do not start fights for the amusement of others, not since I began to wield myself." A pause. "Are you actually associated with the owners of this establishment? Because the last I saw, you were headed in the other direction, away from this town with the old man."

Yes. Yes he does. Also rolling with "Can't tell kids in fox masks apart"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

The Gun and Tankyuusha

"It's not for amusement," the kid says, calm as a frozen lake. "And you have mistaken me for someone else."

The fox mask turrets over to The Gun. The ayakashi gets a tingling in its mainspring, like it gets sometimes in the staredown before a duel. "What is it you want?"

Aiki for UL for following through on "bad at people."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Looking at the bowl, Yurie tenses, as if ready to snatch for that. "Where did you find that?!", she nearly shouts, stepping forward toward the boy. "It's dangerous, you shouldn't just be carrying it around!", she adds sharply, fuming more as she runs out of words, stammering a little as she starts to get increasingly agitated.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3


"I note you did not actually answer my question; this one, " He waves a hand to indicate Tankyuusha, "Is looking to speak with the Wormtamers; are you actually associated with them? As for myself, I was hired to find the bandits that threatened the lord of this town. It occurs to me that a staged fight would be an excellent distraction for them." He lowers his hands to his sides for the moment. Not ready to draw just yet, but...in that vicinity, let's say.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Yurie

The boy's brow creases. This is a strange new form of crude peasant humor he's not used to.

"I didn't find it, it's part of my patrimony. Here, how do you even know what this is? You're not a pilot. I'd recognize you."

The Gun and Tankyuusha

"No, I didn't," says the fox mask. "Nor did you."

The boy is stock still. Stiller than Tankyuusha locked into place.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

"Uh..." Natsu looks around at the block they're in, avoiding eye contact with people. "No." Of this she has the utmost confidence.

Natsu continues walking through the slums, glancing around at any posted signs. "I don't believe this was unwise, necessarily. Misguided? Perhaps."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Natsuyoda, Asuka and Jugemu

There are no street signs, nor any kind of signage but graffiti. It's a slum. It's kind of a horrible place to be.

Indeed, the fact you're not covered in poo poo or open sores kind of makes you all stand out around here. Enough to attract some unfavorable glances from the locals. A couple of them detach themselves from their benches or handy walls to shadow you. That's not good.

Things take a turn for the weird as a child appears in front of you, stepping out from around a blind corner. It seems pretty well-washed for someone who lives in this part of the city, although it's young enough to be of indefinite sex.

"You all look lost! Maybe you should turn around. This place is kind of dangerous!"

Natsu: In case it wasn't obvious, this is definitely one of the kids you met on the road - there's no way you're not good with faces. Only this time it's a lot more verbose, and also weren't they decidedly not going to Mitsami?

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Oh good, someone Natsuyoda can trust. She kneels down and brushes her hair aside. Her tone of voice is notably squeaky. "Hey, li'l guy. Listen..." She looks around and behind the child. "We've looking for someone. Do you think your, guardian might know them?"

...

She reaches into her sleeve and pulls out a 5 ryo piece. "Maybe...?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Natsuyoda

A grin splits the child's face. "We know lots of people. Why do you think they want to meet you?"

Asuka and Jugemu

Uhh... the natives are getting restless. You are very probably being surrounded at the moment.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Asuka pulls out a large shotgun clipped to the side of her trunk and holds it up, swinging it around in an attempt to get the approaching natives to back off.

"This is a painfully terrible idea for all of you, stay where you are! I know you can understand me, down, now! I'm kind of dangerous!"

She turns to Natsuyoda with a look of bewilderment and disdain.

"What the hell is this? A bunch of crazy people?"


Everyone more perceptive to this kind of thing than Asuka probably realizes this is the haunted shotgun. She may have forgotten herself.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

N-A-J

The locals stop coming closer. But they don't leave. Neither does the kid.

I am interested in letting this play out between you guys for a bit, now that someone's upped the stakes.

That said, are either Natsu or Jugemu equipped to recognize a product of mad science when they see it?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

"Three questions. Who must be fighting? What have they done to deserve this? And who is 'we?'"

Aiki to Asuka for GETTING REAL

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and the Gun

The mask turrets across.

"Anyone. The lord's guards for preference.

"If so, they've taken the coin of a corrupt ruler. If not, they live in this awful place. They probably had it coming.

"And we are caretakers of these people, the impoverished and downtrodden. You are in our home."

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Natsu puts a hand on the child's shoulder, stands and faces Asuka, fist clenched. "Stop. You will not throw the first punch, and you will not be firing this karmic pitfall until you feel the killing intent in their eyes. Do you understand?"

Now ready to be direct, Natsu bobs her head down to the child. "Where is your guardian?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Jugemu doesn't even flinch as Asuka pulls out her shotgun, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Calm yourself. Throwing ourselves around like maniacs isn't going to solve anything."

He leans in and whispers into her ear. "I'm also deducting 50 ryo from your payment for this."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

N-A-J

"Right this way," the child says. It reaches up and takes Natsu's hand.

The slum-dwellers hold. The child takes you deep into a rickety maze, barely lit by the glaring sun outside.

You're brought to a room that's a hell of a lot cleaner than anywhere else you've seen in the past hour and change. It's normal dark in here, where someone's tried to exclude light instead of filled with sickly haze and illuminated by cracks in the walls. Cool, too, despite the warmth outside.

It's also just you and the kid in here.

"This is close enough. Your questions will be heard."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

The kongohki stands up and shakes his head.

"I will not fight others for the crime of existing. I am allowed a degree of selection in my choice of clients. And you are not who I seek. I seek the wormtamers. If you will not bring me to them, then I will leave you be."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

"Patrimony?", echoes Yurie, not understanding at all. Then, she looks to meet his eyes, avoiding his question as she turns it around.

"Are you a pilot?" One might suspect a lot hinged on those words, the way she said it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and The Gun

"Then leave," the child says. "And take your toy with you. We have nothing for your kind."

Oh snap. Are you gonna take that?

Yurie

"Heh, yeah," the kid says. He tosses his hair back with a hand. This guy thinks he's really cool.

"Kuga family's best pilot, Kaneyori! Good to meet you both!"

Mako stays quiet, but the vaguely amused kind instead of the simmering murder kind.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

"Since I have come here, I have been treated with reasonable cordiality by the representatives of the lord, and have only heard of flamboyant thieves threatening him as a sign his reign is corrupt. This is hardly evidence. From yourself, who claims to represent justice, I have heard urgings to harm those who have done nothing but live in this realm, and a refusal to answer straightforward questions. And I have as yet seen no proof that you represent the voice of the wormtamers." A pause.

"And I am no man's toy." This is punctuated by the gun's right hand slowly starting to resemble less "Fingers and a palm" and more "A barrel and chamber".

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Natsu feels herself wanting to shout out about parlor tricks, but contains herself and asks the void, "Who is the person who threatens Lord Iezane?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Yurie
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Yurie expression turns to anger, her hair frazzling a little at the boy's pride. "Best at being a weapon? Best at killing people?" She steps towards him. "Or maybe you'll be the one that dies and... and... suffers, and..."

Then she just reaches to try and snatch away the helmet with a furious look on her face. The motion is swift, but uncoordinated, just a wild snatch at the pilot. Thankfully, she isn't really upset yet. That would be worse.

Rolling Body/Unarmed Combat to try and snatch it away: 1 success.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

T-G

This is going to really shock you, but the mask doesn't really react to your haughty declarations. The child just stands there and watches you.

How are you gonna get out of here?

N-A-J

The kid tugs on Natsu's hand to get her to look down. "Why would we tell you that?"

Oh.

Yurie

"Hey, what-!" Kaneyori pushes back, keeping his grip on the helmet. He takes a few steps back, his free hand darting for the short sword at his waist.

Mako's not so entertained right now.

"How dare you! If you weren't a woman, I'd have you put up on charges!"

Ah, he's a charmer, too.

First roll ties, second roll Yurie - 2 Kaneyori - 4. Technically, you take two damage from the slap fight. Unless you're going to pursue this further, you can pretty much assume that goes to your Vitality and not worry about it. If you wanna pick a real fight, now'd be the time to say so.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Natsu chuckles out of fear. "N-No, that's... impossib..."

Her back straightens like a tree trunk, her fists snap to her lower waist, and her feet spread just a tad as she enters a conserved combat stance, allowing her voice to project even though she's still directing her attention to the kid. "Alright, tell us what you know about the threat against Lord Iezane. Otherwise... I'll have to give you a spanking."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

"Natsuyoda, please calm down. We don't need to do anything rash."

Jugemu has his hand on his sword in case the situation goes south.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

N-A-J

The kid turns loose of Natsu as she goes into a fighting stance. It doesn't seem terribly worried.

"Make it worth our while," it says amiably.

You aren't getting anything out of this kid without either carrot or stick. I will straight-up tell you that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

Tankyuusha just shrugs, leaves the room, and goes for simply announcing his presence and desire, speaking out loud to the building as a whole.

"I wish to speak to one of the wormtamers. I come not in violence."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and The Gun

"We heard you. We're not interested," the kid says. "Get out. We have people to help."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Asuka
Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Asuka grumbles and follows along, keeping her shotgun ready and watching Natsuyoda for sudden movements. For as dense as she was acting, this didn't seem unlike some kind of scam to corral people into some nonsense and mug them.

"I'm aware you've never been to a poor part of a town, but I'm hoping you're not blank enough in the head to think any of this is normal, right? In fact this seems eerily like what muggers would do. You've heard that word before, I hope?"

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Don't worry loves! NEED A CAVALRY HERE!



Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 1 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

"Miss, I have a lot more going through my head right now. Sir Samurai, hand the kid 50 ryo."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

"Unless you're going to tell me you, singularly, are the entirety of the worm tamers, then 'we' does not quite apply here."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

"Frankly, I'm not sure he is one of them at all," The Gun asides. "There was someone wearing the same face on the road here, though he claims to not be the same one, and another hired by the lord. Though he was taller, I think.

There is something odd about it all." A pause. "And this is -me- saying this."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and The Gun

"It's close enough for your understanding," it says. "We are all one very close family."

It turns to The Gun. "For example, I can see the puppet-woman you met on the road elsewhere in our warren, with a samurai and a mortal woman. They are, sadly, not likely much longer for this world."

N-A-J

To speed things along, let's assume Jugemu gave the kid the coins with the knowledge he could swipe them back if he feels like it.

"Oh," the kid says, which is about the most disappointed you've ever seen someone in response to getting a fistful of gold. It weighs the stack in its hand, bobs its head back and forth in thought, and disappears the gold up its sleeve.

"Alright. No one is going to kill this stupid petty lord. We sent him a death threat to distract him and confound his security. We're going to steal from him instead. Is that to your satisfaction?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes


Jugemu
Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3 '

"I suppose that's not quite as bad as a murder attempt, but it's still wrong."

Jugemu closes his eyes and places his chin in his hand, thinking on what to do.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

The Gun

Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 14 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

"You are working marvels to convince me of the righteousness of your cause," the Gun says, dryly. Presumably it learned sarcasm from wielders shooting people and then offering ironic one-liners. "Are you threatening her?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and The Gun

"She insists on prying into affairs that are not hers. While none of us will lift a hand against her, our protector is not going to let her or her friends leave knowing our plans."

The child's voice softens, almost beneath the level of perception. "Unless you think you can keep her silence."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Tankyuusha
Aiki: 1 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

"Let me see if I understand this correctly."

Very slowly, carefully, and meaningfully, Tankyuusha removes his sword.

"I come here with but questions. I was told of the evils of those here, but rather came in peace to see if it was true. In return, you have asked me to assault random people for no given reason and for no given guilt, and have threatened this other's friends. Your reason for this is that they have 'learned your plans.'"

The blank facemask stares down at the other mask.

"Are you aware you are sounding like the villain from a child's story?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gun Saliva

Tankyuusha and The Gun

The child Tankyuusha is threatening doesn't shirk from the blade.

"An agent of a corrupt lord is here, in our home, demanding to know our secrets. We steal from those who have excess to provide for the poor wretches you see around you, since no one in power will provide for them. To disrupt our plans is to condemn these people to agony and death. Now you threaten an unarmed child while you preach about storybook morality."

One hand comes up and pulls off the mask, slowly. Underneath is a grubby boy's face, maybe about ten or so, with pox scars and the absolute coldest eyes either of you have ever seen.

"Very well. Which one of us is the villain here?"

  • Locked thread
«18 »