Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'll let you do it, no action, but you'll have to soak the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jugemu
Aiki: 8 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3
Vitality: -5

Defending: 1 sux
THIS IS NOT GOOD.
I'm tapping out. Jugemu's out of the fight because I don't want to use nearly all of my wound boxes to sneak out of it at 1 anyway.

The blast of fire is too much for Jugemu. He falls over, his shiki deactivating and his appearance returning to normal as he loses consciousness.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Tankyuusha
Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3
Vitality 1/13 | Soul 22/22 | OVERDRIVE 11/13

The kongohki moves fast, the wheels on his feet spinning, swiftly forcing himself in front of Yurie and soaking up the flames. He does not yet look damaged, though his frame is singed.

"If you are a non-combatant, please, move away. I will do what I can to remove her offensive capabilities without hurting her."

This is demonstrated by another lightning-fast slash of his blade!

Melee Weapons (OVERDRIVE after): 12d6u3 4
melee weapons: 4d6u3 2
6 total, +5 damage. Tankyuusha is ok with some wounding, but he's not aiming to kill.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 22, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You are having some lovely luck, Waffleman. Take an aiki to sooth the pain.

Cirno: Defending is not an action, and that was at the end of the last round anyway. You're ready to move whenever.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 18 > 12 | Spent Kiai: 7 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

Empathy/AoW: (skybot) RatherPhony: 37 (8d6=5, 1, 6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 2). 2 sux, a tie.

Natsuyoda presses her hands together and raises them to the sky as the kijin prepares her attack. At the first sign of spark, Natsu chops downward. A blade of wind cuts through the flames, encasing her in a shell of pressured air. When the smoke clears, she stands unscathed.

Which is more than she can say for Jugemu. She jerks her head at the kijin and spits, "I have no tolerance for parlor tricks." Then she lifts Jugemu, tossing him onto her shoulder in a fireman's carry. She can't vent her scolding fast enough. "You shall not withdraw with honor, and you will not burn this city down over a dispute. Cease your hostilities or I will be forced to disassemble you for the good of the people. Do you hear me? You will have to answer for this, be it in this life or the next. Now, answer."

Agility/Persuasion: (skybot) RatherPhony: 27 (8d6=4, 6, 2, 2, 1, 3, 5, 4). 4 sux.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 26, 2014

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Gun

Aiki: 2 | Kiai: 11 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

Aiki to Jugemu for taking it on the chin, and to Tankyuusha for jumping in to save the already dead girl!

Trying to dodge! 1 success. Gonna spend 3 kiai to buy a success, putting me at a tie and unharmed.

For his- its- part, the gun merely says, "I do advise listening to her." And he's not even bothering to move the mouth of his body- the words are coming directly from the gun itself.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 26, 2014

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Asuka
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Asuka tumbles back to the ground to get out of the way of the flamethrower, returning to a proper state of panic and pulling a blocky T-shaped gun from her hip. She mostly just points it at the robot girl and hyperventilates though, mostly remembering she just grabbed the least anti-armor gun in her repertoire.

Not actually my turn yet but I'm gonna just freak out and wait to see how talky stuff goes, given that the superpower dudes are getting their asses kicked and all I have is guns, the internet, and a rain dance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
To be fair, my rear end is kicked because I intentionally did not dodge!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Round 4, part 1

Back in the saddle, now that I have computer access and working forums for more than five minutes at a stretch.

Tankyuusha lashes out, plowing through the sheet of flame with his sword. Strictly speaking, steel can't crackle or sizzle, but it can pop and clink in the heat. Even the raw power of overdrive isn't enough to break the kijin's defense.

While it is impressive that the otherwise fairly elegant monk can pick up a dude in the middle of the Samurai transformation with ease, the kijin does not seem compelled to sit down and have a pow-wow about what's going on. She narrows her eyes at Natsu, and what you can still see of her face scowls. The monk, who pretty much must have a sense of these kinds of things, finds it hard to read her. Something weird is going on here. It's not that your words fall on deaf ears (or sensory plates), but that there doesn't seem like there's anyone home to hear them.

Which, of course, doesn't make any drat sense when she can scowl at the stuff you say. What the hell is going on here?

Defend v. Tankyuusha: 6,3,1,5,1,5,3,5,1,1,6,3,4; 8 successes. No damage.

Natsu's brow-beating is ineffective, despite her persuasive threats. I will tell you out of character that the kijin cannot talk, or at least as you would. There are at least a few people in the party who can speak to her, but definitely not in the middle of combat.

Now we're waiting for Yurie, Asuka and the kijin, in that order.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Is there a way to disar - er, dis...torsogun her?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That's a really good question, because I don't recall rules for actually damaging gear, apart from "when it would be cool." I think there are some entries about repairing and regaining gear, but not so much the breaking it part.

At the very least, there is a neutral condition if you can't manage to beat her in a fight coming up in a turn, maybe shorter if things get completely stupid and dull.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yurie
Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

"Tankyuushaaaa!", Yurie calls out, but thankfully she doesn't need to worry too much. Still, it's strange. She can't die, at least not as easily as that. Why did he do that? "That's Mino! That's the girl we came to save!", she says somewhere between terror and excitement. "I have an idea! But be gentle with her!"

Well, that probably isn't going to happen. But she's not listening to his warning, either. Yurie vanishes into the earth, flowing through it like she might to her grave, if she had ever had one. In the muffled silence and darkness beneath the battle, she tries to work out where to pop out behind the girl, and see if her guess might hold true...

Spending Soul to go intangible! Stealth has 4 successes!

Giving an added Aiki for Tankyuusha taking the hit for a ghost, and another Aiki to Natsuyoda for trying to talk sense.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Round 4, continued

Yurie slips out of notice, and beneath the surface of the earth.

An aiki for everyone who doesn't notice the ghost girl doing ghostly things.

Sentry?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Asuka
Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

After spending a few moments tapping at the side of her SMG, Asuka finally manages to get her finger in the trigger guard and spray lead basically everywhere, except perhaps the robot girl.

Shootin': 7d6u3 3

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Round 4, final

There are a few tense moments filled only with the crackle of flame from the wormcharmers' nest. Natsu's words may not have swayed the kijin, but they may have at least stopped her rampage for a moment.

In the half-silence, the samurai that sickly girl came in with (hey, where is she?) takes a hesitant step forward. "Mino-" is about all he has the chance to get out before Asuka lights up the kijin with automatic weapons fire. Bullets spray everywhere, mostly off her armored skin.

Another gout of flame erupts from your opponent, blasting mostly above your heads and into the thatched roof above you. Flaming debris rains down from the incredibly flammable roof, spattering you with molten pitch and flaming straw. On the plus side, it's nice and sunny in here now!

Perfectly illuminating your complete lack of kijin, as it turns out. Looks like she bolted.

It's not safe to stay in here. You have a clear access to the outside world through the burning and broken holes in the wall, or you could try and advance deeper into the nest. What do you do?

Defend v. Asuka: 5,6,1,3,3,5,5,3,5,6,5,2,3; 6 sux. No damage.

Everyone corporeal defend versus one success, 5 damage for the flaming roof trying to collapse on you.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tankyuusha
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

I'll take the aiki offered -Tankyuusha doesn't know Yurie is a GHOoOoOoOooOoOoOoOST!

Tankyuusha spins around just in time to not see Yurie vanish, looks around in a panic and, unable to find her, settles on just dodging the roof.

I auto-succeed at evasion vs 1

"Where is Yurie? The girl who was just behind me? Did Mino take her?"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Asuka
Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 3 | Emotion: Greed 3 | Goal: Complete the Golden Child 4 | Marked: Cursed Weapons From A Cursed Gunsmith 3

Asuka panics as the roof begins falling down and attempts to throw her case over herself as a shield. This mostly just gets her stuck under both a case and some burning thatching, but the former is thankfully fairly fireproof and in little danger. As she attempts to shove the giant block pinning her to the ground off, she points to Jugemu and speaks with a mix of exasperation and seething anger.

"You are giving me all of that money for this mess."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jugemu
Aiki: 10 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Jugemu groans as he regains consciousness. How could this have happened? He'd allowed himself to grow weak in his travels. This couldn't do.

"Nnngh...I'll give you half."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Asuka

Asuka narrows her eyes and attempts to look intimidating, but a turtle shell with some flames on it isn't nearly as concerning as it sounds on paper.

"Three-fourths."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jugemu
Aiki: 10 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

"Fine."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Okay, have an aiki for that because I actually laughed out loud.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Let's have a decision on what to do by around noonish, EST tomorrow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jugemu
Aiki: 11 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Jugemu rises to his feet and looks around. "If that was what awaited us at the beginning of this place, I shudder to think what is deeper inside. I suggest we step back for now and regroup to figure out a plan of attack."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 7 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

EMP: AOW: (skybot) RatherPhony: 29 (8d6=4, 5, 4, 2, 5, 1, 4, 4) 2 sux.

Natsuyoda thrusts her hand over her head. Two halves of a beam fall to her left and right, perfectly sliced in half. "It's not safe here. Let us be off if we're done bartering. We may purge this den of answers when we're all safe. You..."

She counts heads.

" Four? Four. We head out this hole here."

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 3, 2014

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Gun

Aiki: 3 | Kiai: 11 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

Rolled 0 successes, just gonna take the damage, since it's fairly minor.

The gun actually catches on fire, hat merrily burning along with bits of his long coat. He doesn't seem to have noticed, though he holsters his weapon. "Withdrawing seems wise. They are very uncooperative here! Though..." He nods as Tankyuusha speaks up. "I hope she was not taken, else justice demands we continue in. Miss? Are you still present?" He makes a show of looking around.

Given my complete lack of notice? Not gonna bother with rolling.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yurie
Aiki: 4 | Kiai: 9 | Emotion: Hatred of Armours 4 | Destiny: To Be Truly Free 3 | Marked: Known to the Priesthood 3 | Goal: Rescue the Love of Mako's Life 3

Yurie thinks better of coming up the cyborg when there's the feel of heat above her/ Reemerging outside, pulling herself out near the hole, her blinks, and calls out again, "Tankyuushaaa! Makooo!" She looks over her shoulder. Her first instinct is to chase after the girl, but... she better see to the big lugs within. Certainly, a burning building isn't enough to finish them off, right?

An Aiki to The Gun, for "a show of looking around".

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Outside the Nest

Mako takes the short way outside, namely crashing through a nearby wall instead of trying to dodge falling cinders. This is in theory a good way to exit a flaming building. In theory.

You all make it outside in various state of inflammation. Your kijin friend is long gone.

You have: a burning warren surrounded by the hovels of people too poor to live elsewhere, a crisped samurai only one of you's met before, a flaming phantom hat, and confusion.

You are about to have: a group of figures approaching in the distance, including one that's either a huge loving guy or a yoroi armor. Cops? Bounty hunters? Allies of the wormhandlers? YOU DECIDE!

Work was balls out, sorry this took so long.

Aiki for the Gun for just taking it on the chin and then being on fire for comedy's sake.

You got some dudes what look like they're heavily armed headed your way, and the possibility of burning down this whole neighborhood. What do you do?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tankyuusha
Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 2 | Kongohki: Sealed Memory 4 | Goal: Find the Oni Girl 2 | Emotion: Criminals Are a Cowardly and Superstitious Lot: 3 | Misfortune: Who Have I Hurt? 3

"Yurie! There you are!"

As the group leaves, Tankyuusha regards the oncoming guards passively.

"Unless you can talk your way out, it is time to run. Escaping will be easy for me. I can carry one, maybe two, with me."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I almost forgot. Cirno, make a Notice roll.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tankyuusha

Notice (Senses?): 10d6u2 6

Tankyuusha sees seriously everything. Everything!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Tankyuusha

The thing in the distance is indeed an armour. It is accompanied by a few soldiers with the same livery as the city gate guards, some guy wearing a much nicer kind of fox mask than the folks out here in the slums, and way back, a young oni woman wearing a cloak and carrying a very large sword.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tankyuusha

"Some guards. Armour. One of the masked ones. And someone I must speak to."

The kongohki turns to the others.

"Decide now. I can bring some of you to the roof. I am not running. I must speak to her."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Aiki: 6 | Kiai: 12 | Spent Kiai: 7 | Misfortune: Death of Your Most Precious Thing 3 | Goal: To Be Strongest in All Tenra 4 | Emotion: Stronger Than the Heart 3 | Goal: Guide the Gun to Enlightenment 3

"Armour?" Natsu glances toward the larger body. "Embellishment, luxury for the pilot within. I shall show him the error of his ways."

Natsuyoda brushes the dust below her with her feet, preparing to strike.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Asuka

Once Asuka finally manages to remove the case pinning her down, she immediately hides behind it. As if a full out-and-out robot wasn't bad enough, now there's even more nonsense marching right over here. She emits a panicked noise from her throat for a while before making actual words as she peeks from behind the case.

"What are you talking about and who are you and why do you need to talk to them and what is happening!?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jugemu
Aiki: 11 | Kiai: 10 | Goal: To be truly free 3 | Emotion: Hatred of Weaknesses 2 | Emotion: Samurai Calm 3

Jugemu makes a slight groan and scratches his cheek. "In my state, I'd much rather avoid a conflict if possible."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yurie

"I'm with Tankyuusha.", Yurie states simply, and looks to Jugemu and Asuka. "Thank you for helping him, but you can stay back if you like, it's okay!" She bows to them, before jogging over towards the monk.

Narrowing her eyes, she then looks to the armour. "Nuh-uh.", she says bluntly to Natsuyoda. "I can take care of the armour." She frowns flatly, her look turning to a glare as her whole body tenses, like something far more gaunt and stuff. "I always do."

An Aiki to Asuka for the sensible reaction!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Majority rules, also Sentry have an aiki for actually wondering who the gently caress all these strangers are.

Fire Hazard

You dodge, punch, smash, or otherwise burst through the increasingly fiery building and make it out into the streets with mostly minimal burns.

The people running towards you are a motley lot. Most of them are clad in the armor and livery of Lord Iezane - peon soldiers, probably the local police, fire brigade and emergency responders all in one. Along with them is an ornate yoroi armour, a guy absolutely covered in knives and wearing a fox mask (his is a lot fancier than the one these wormhandler kids were using), and somebody heavily cloaked and holding a giant goddamn sword, who is apparently kind of sheepish and is sort of hanging out at the back of things.

One of the soldiers, a guy with a rather sharp beard, marches up to you. "What's going on here?"

One of his underlings snickers as the soldiery takes in the scene before them. "Looks like some urban renewal, eh?"

The armour points one enormous finger at Natsuyoda, and a youthful voice pipes out of some hidden part of it. "Hey, you're one of the bounty hunters at the castle today? What in heaven's name are you doing in this rathole?"

Anyone who passes a Notice difficult 1 check: You haven't seen anyone fleeing the fire, annelidist or otherwise. Hrmm.

ARB: That's the same guy with the interface helmet from earlier - you've gotten good at recognizing voices over the years. Are you still insubstantial and hiding, or just kind of chilling with everyone else at the moment?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Notice: 4d6u3 2

"Oh." She relaxes somewhat. She must have forgotten yokoi are driven by young boys.

"I was merely following a lead. Seems an annelidist is preparing to upset the status quo, though they are woefully unprepared to do Lord Iezane harm."

She glances back into the burning building. "But I've lost track of the one who set fire to this building, as have my colleagues."

She gestures to the Gun. "This is a lone Gun I've brought to the city," Then she waves to Jugemu and Asuka, "And these two have been assisting me as I was tracking down the perpetrator. So far... Naught but testimony."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Gun

Aiki: 5 | Kiai: 11 | Emotion: Regret 4 | Destiny: Uphold the Spirit of Justice 3 | Goal: Atone for sins of past wielders 3 | Goal: Explore the Human World 3

The gun bows stiltedly as it is introduced, then holsters itself. "From their own words, the plan was not an actual attack on the lord- that was a distraction to set up a theft." He gives the Fox-masked man a suspicious look. Since we've already established that he can't tell the masks apart so well, really!

Rolled notice, but zero successes, so yeah, not a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jugemu

3 sux

Jugemu bows his head as he is introduced. "You may call me Jugemu. I am but a humble wanderer on the road of life."

Jugemu places his chin in his hand and closes his eyes, thinking. "I noticed that we were the only ones fleeing the fire."

• Locked thread