Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What I mean is, is this patch for the PSP game or the PSX game? Or is that what you mean by "a version for both"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BadAstronaut posted:

Or is that what you mean by "a version for both"?

Basically yeah, I'm no good at wording things :v:

PSX version: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8658.0

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So which is the better version to play? I was considering going with PSP when I get round to it simply because I own that version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record but Warship Gunner 2 Portable runs great and is just as good as the PS2 version but with buffs to weapons no one used, new weapons and a harder postgame. The only problem being that it's Japanese only. It also has some kind of online coop I never tried.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Tried to patch Grand Knights History but I've no clue what to do. Anyone got it working yet?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

In addition, a while ago a full translation of Grand Knights History (beautiful RPG by Vanillaware) was released. The only untranslated/unrefined parts appear the be the online play. I currently don't have access to my main computer so it would be cool if someone was up for getting some nice pics and a summary (and maybe a report on if the multiplayer component is functional).

The multiplayer was dependent on servers hosted by Vanillaware that have long since been shut down. There's no way to play it now, which sucks because the game was really built around that multiplayer.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

dis astranagant posted:

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record but Warship Gunner 2 Portable runs great and is just as good as the PS2 version but with buffs to weapons no one used, new weapons and a harder postgame. The only problem being that it's Japanese only. It also has some kind of online coop I never tried.

I want to get into this so bad but I'm lazy and don't want to follow a guide or brute force my way through the game :/

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

The multiplayer was dependent on servers hosted by Vanillaware that have long since been shut down. There's no way to play it now, which sucks because the game was really built around that multiplayer.
It sucks we missed out on the localization too. I guess that was why. Maybe one day they'll do some kind of remake/sequel on Vita or PS3/4 that will have a chance of being brought here.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dis astranagant posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to port the translation over?

I say this because Way of the Samurai Portable got a partial translation by porting the PS2 version over.

I have a copy of Warship Gunner 2... Perhaps I'll look into it.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RadicalR posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to port the translation over?

I'd hope so. I loved Warship Gunner 2 to bits. It's such a huge, complex meaty game with some weird balance issues that it sounds like the PSP version addresses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I played clear through the PSP version and it definitely makes a decent go at most of the balance issues but doesn't quite nail them. You still can't link up batteries of high tech weapons, but at least they have useable fire rates and ammo counts. Wave guns have a much narrower hitbox and don't seem to multihit as much, so they're no longer the be all and end all of guns. And a lot of the more powerful AA guns finally have ammo counts that can somewhat keep up with autofire spam.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mysticblade posted:

Tried to patch Grand Knights History but I've no clue what to do. Anyone got it working yet?

Follow the instructions in the README.TXT file? I just did it and it was dead easy despite having no clue what I was doing. Where it says repack it means "delete files from the ISO and drag and drop the patched ones in".

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, that was more me just having no clue how to use xdelta without a GUI. Got it done now.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there consensus on what is the best Genesis/Megadrive emulator and the best SNES emulator on the PSP?

I remember reading a while (more than a year now) ago that SNES emulation on PSP was not so hot, so I've never tried.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there consensus on what is the best Genesis/Megadrive emulator and the best SNES emulator on the PSP?

I remember reading a while (more than a year now) ago that SNES emulation on PSP was not so hot, so I've never tried.

SNES Euphoria and PicoDrive for genesis I found particularly good. I remember SNES Euphoria having issues with certain games though like Mario RPG or Donkey Kong.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
E: Nevermind, misread question

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 29, 2014

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I love this thread so goddamn much I can't even stand it.

The PSP had some of my favorite games of all time, including FFT:WOTL and TO:LUCT - Tactics Ogre being the first game I ever beat in japanese way back on the SNES and the PSP version is a loving masterpiece.

And then for PPSSPP to come out of nowhere and just be awesome is a gigantic mindfuck to me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Playing Gundam Battle Universe in an upscaled resolution with better texturing with a controller is pretty much the best thing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Actual content: I really liked FF: Crisis Core. I had played ff7 and never really gave a poo poo about any of the characters and while CC didn't have an amazing story or anything, it was certainly interesting and pretty fun. I would recommend folks to try it out if they haven't.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Heh. I just started playing Tactics Ogre this week. There is so much game there that I feel a little daunted, but I will get into it. I loved Fire Emblem and these look good. I also own FFT and want to patch it and play the best way possible.

Thanks, I will try SNES Euphoria and PicoDrive.

/no content post

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tactics Ogre is great. Just don't get bogged down trying to do everything and especially trying to do everything optimally. Nothing lies down that road except autism and despair. It's not a particularly difficult game so you can play it how you want and neglect basically any mechanic that feels obtuse or annoying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, Grand Knights History is such a nice looking game - except for some randomly excessive tits I REALLY like the colored pencil aesthetic. I guess the tittage is the SOP of the devs, though. The curved battlescape is pretty neat, to.

I had never heard of it until now.

Has it got a good game behind the pretty face?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's not really much game without the online play. Try the dev's other games if you wanna play a game with that aesthetic.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
This thread is great. I've been playing on my PSP and while I have a number of games I'd like to get around to playing, I find the system cumbersome. I used to have a 1000 and now have a 3000 but even with the reduced weight and rounded corners, I still don't find it nearly as comfortable to hold or play. I find myself drawn a lot towards my 3DS XL because it just feels so much better. It's frustrating since the PSP library is so good.

With that in mind, I'm curious if anyone has much experience with streaming to TV. I want to use PPSSPP on a Sony Bravia 46" with as little latency as possible. I have a pretty old Macbook Pro (2008), a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a Galaxy Note 8 Tablet from 2013. I don't mind buying a small wireless receiver or Android box if need be.

I don't have a good controller option yet either, so I'm wondering what's best there as well.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 29, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are the 2 Yakuza PSP games good? I noticed the company formerly known as Aki made them so it's like Def Jam Yakuza Edition, which sounds kickass.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snyderman posted:

This thread is great. I've been playing on my PSP and while I have a number of games I'd like to get around to playing, I find the system cumbersome. I used to have a 1000 and now have a 3000 but even with the reduced weight and rounded corners, I still don't find it nearly as comfortable to hold or play. I find myself drawn a lot towards my 3DS XL because it just feels so much better. It's frustrating since the PSP library is so good.

I'm not sure how well it works (since I've never really needed to try it out), but you could always try out the android port of PPSSPP assuming you have a good enough phone. There's a lot of bluetooth controllers you can connect to your phone now, and the entire thing would probably still weigh far less than all the PSP models.

quote:

I don't have a good controller option yet either, so I'm wondering what's best there as well.

The best options for PC controllers are:
1. Logitech F710 (Really tough triggers, wireless sometimes cuts out for a split second if you're the type of guy who waves your controller around comically)
2. Logitech F310 (Wired option, bit older than the F710 but still has Xinput option which is what's important
3. 360 Controller (was the best overall PC controller for a rather long time, famously bad D-Pad that you can't really fix because it's on a joystick-esque stalk, can be got for pretty cheap now that the PS4 and Xbone controllers are available)
4. Playstation 4 Controller (need to use 3rd party drivers to get it to work, but outside that it's the best [and most expensive] PC controller available. the touchpad can be set up to act as a laptop-esque touchpad which is cool as hell and means you can go from say, PPSSPP to a steam game without picking up the keyboard)

I've no clue if there's any caveats to these when used with OSX, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, the new 9.9.1 version of ppsspp lets me play Jeanne D'Arc with no trouble whatsoever. fuuuuuuckyeeeesssssssssss.

I just had to switch out the default fonts for the psp's fonts. I really don't like ppsspp's fonts that get shipped with it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not sure how well it works (since I've never really needed to try it out), but you could always try out the android port of PPSSPP assuming you have a good enough phone. There's a lot of bluetooth controllers you can connect to your phone now, and the entire thing would probably still weigh far less than all the PSP models.

The best options for PC controllers are:
1. Logitech F710 (Really tough triggers, wireless sometimes cuts out for a split second if you're the type of guy who waves your controller around comically)
2. Logitech F310 (Wired option, bit older than the F710 but still has Xinput option which is what's important
3. 360 Controller (was the best overall PC controller for a rather long time, famously bad D-Pad that you can't really fix because it's on a joystick-esque stalk, can be got for pretty cheap now that the PS4 and Xbone controllers are available)
4. Playstation 4 Controller (need to use 3rd party drivers to get it to work, but outside that it's the best [and most expensive] PC controller available. the touchpad can be set up to act as a laptop-esque touchpad which is cool as hell and means you can go from say, PPSSPP to a steam game without picking up the keyboard)

I've no clue if there's any caveats to these when used with OSX, though.

I'll give a few caveats to the above list since the thread's pretty quiet.

I used to swear by the 360 controller, but I recently tried out the PS4. The only problem with it is that you can't have anything running that tries to access game controllers when you turn the controller on - so for example origin, video games, or steam big picture mode. This pretty much made it unusable for me in a media center environment and went back to the 360 controller. The D-PAD really is pretty bad though, although slightly improved on the silver special edition pad.

The reason the PS4 one works that way is that the DS2WIN programs watch for the controller to come online, access it in exclusive mode (preventing others from accessing or seeing it) and then 'emulate' an xinput device that all the other software sees. So if other software is already watching for new devices, it can't go into exclusive mode and just borks up. If they can somehow fix that it'd absolutely be my go to.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Here's a nice before/after illustrating the power of PPSSPP.

Native PSP resolution, no filtering - as authentic to the handheld as possible, but probably a bit prettier than the real thing:

Maximum Shiny:

So many PSP games are remarkably good-looking, but shackled by hardware. This emulator lets them breathe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What settings are maximum shiny?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

What settings are maximum shiny?

10x internal PSP resolution, 4xHQ GLSL post-processing, 2xHybrid+Bicubic Upscale w/ Deposterize, Auto texture filtering, 16xAF rendered out at 1080p.

Runs perfect (60fps where games support it) on a 660ti. Any higher on the upscaling and it not only starts to look a little weird (rough edges where there shouldn't be on textures), but stutters any time new textures appear.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thanks. I fiddle around some and got a better image from mine.

Also, the combat in Crisis Core FF7 is ... it's not that great.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Regarding those settings, for some games it works great. For others, you get faint lines around some sprites - usually large ones - you can fix this by changing the texture filtering type to Nearest Neighbour. It may break some effects that rely on smoothed textures, though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So what are some games where you've really noticed significant improvement over the original when using those settings in PPSSPP?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

So what are some games where you've really noticed significant improvement over the original when using those settings in PPSSPP?

Everything looks better when run at higher resolutions, but in games with a lot of sprites it's probably a good idea to leave texture scaling off and texture filtering on nearest. Unless you really like the way it looks with them on I guess. I actually leave texture scaling off for everything because it does bad things to UI elements and text and stuff, a lot of which were designed to suit the PSP's low resolution screen.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hybrid + Bicubic filtering looks pretty good for UI elements for the most part if you leave it at 2x. Any higher and you start to get artifacts.

It's not perfect in all games, but Type-0's UI isn't negatively affected by it at all. You can even keep texture filtering on Linear.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

Thanks. I fiddle around some and got a better image from mine.

Also, the combat in Crisis Core FF7 is ... it's not that great.

:( Notable: I played it over six years ago at this point I think, so I'll accept it's probably not as good as I thought it was. I'll try it out again.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Question: is there a way to get my PSP saves off of my Vita?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Crisis Core is more fun on the hardest difficulty. The medium one is too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Falcon2001 posted:

Question: is there a way to get my PSP saves off of my Vita?

Yep! Copy the save data with Content Manager Assistant, then it'll wind up in %USER%\Documents\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA\%vitaid%.

• Locked thread