Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Not using hamachi, I just had him connect to my actual static ip. We're using the same iso, the same emulator version and turned off fast memory. Also set the emulated cpu clock to 1000 per instructions in some thread on the ppsspp forums. Haven't tried letting him host because he's a little :downs: around this kind of thing and his box is a lot weaker than mine. Already spent hours sorting out emulator configuration issues on his end just to get in game.

Er, I'm no expert so hey I could be super wrong about this, but all of the instructions I've ever seen for doing online adhoc with MH involve using VPNs like Hamachi or Evolve or whatever. Here are the instructions that worked for us: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538945&pagenumber=233&perpage=40#post428506666

You don't need to do any ini editing since all of those options are in the settings menu now, and ignore everything he wrote about toggling speeds because the newest versions of the emulator don't require you to do that anymore. You can just start quests as you normally would and if fast memory is off no one should drop.

Both the host and anyone connecting to him need to put the host's VPN IP address into the ProAdhocServer IP address field in the emulator. In Hamachi your own IP is shown at the top of the main window. Also uh, minor advice if you do decide to use Hamachi, we've found that having the main Hamachi window visible on screen seems to introduce a lot of lag for some reason? Very mysterious. So just minimize it or close it to the taskbar or whatever.

e: I basically just sent this along with the hamachi group instructions to the people I play with and everything worked out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Got it almost working with Hamachi. Managed to find each other in the guild hall and start a quest but we keep breaking off from each other or even disconnecting in the hall.

e: Had him host, same poo poo.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 19, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Got it almost working with Hamachi. Managed to find each other in the guild hall and start a quest but we keep breaking off from each other or even disconnecting in the hall.

Disconnecting in the hall sounds like bad connection problems or something. You both have green lights next to your names in Hamachi? Direct tunnel? Are you on opposite ends of the planet? If so you actually might have to play with speed toggles, but I've never seen anyone say they were getting disconnections in the guild hall. If you want to PM me your hamachi group I could try connecting and/or hosting if you like, since I know everything is set up correctly on my end. I'll be stealing one of your five slots doing it though, unless you want to just quick make a new group for it.

e: fwiw my emulated CPU clock is set to auto, same for the people I'm playing with. You both might try setting it to that. If either of you have cheats on you should turn them off too.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 19, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

straight jerkers posted:

Disconnecting in the hall sounds like bad connection problems or something. You both have green lights next to your names in Hamachi? Direct tunnel? Are you on opposite ends of the planet? If so you actually might have to play with speed toggles, but I've never seen anyone say they were getting disconnections in the guild hall. If you want to PM me your hamachi group I could try connecting and/or hosting if you like, since I know everything is set up correctly on my end. I'll be stealing one of your five slots doing it though, unless you want to just quick make a new group for it.

Yeah, we had green lights and he's only about 200 miles from me. Says relayed tunnel, not direct. I guess he'll have to have his brother forward some ports for him, he doesn't have access to his router.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 19, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, we had green lights and he's only about 200 miles from me. Says relayed tunnel, not direct. I guess he'll have to have his brother forward some ports for him, he doesn't have access to his router.
Its probably not gonna work relayed, hamachi relays are slow as poo poo. Usually everyone shutting down hamachi and restarting it fixes relays for me, I've never had to forward ports to get it to work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Since this thread opens with gushing about Rengoku 2: is there ever going to be a point where ranged weapons aren't ridiculously better than melee? I can't even imagine trying to fight Briareus with the clumsy melee combos I've had so far but every good ranged weapon I've found (like the three round burst missiles, macro needler and t8 bazooka) curbstomps everything in just a few quick shots.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Justy wondering on the FF Type 0 chat, does the fan translation inclube subtitles for the cutscenes?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Byolante posted:

Justy wondering on the FF Type 0 chat, does the fan translation inclube subtitles for the cutscenes?

Yes.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sounds like I need to find my play-asia login info

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

Since this thread opens with gushing about Rengoku 2: is there ever going to be a point where ranged weapons aren't ridiculously better than melee? I can't even imagine trying to fight Briareus with the clumsy melee combos I've had so far but every good ranged weapon I've found (like the three round burst missiles, macro needler and t8 bazooka) curbstomps everything in just a few quick shots.

Melee weapons are basically an all-or-nothing kind of deal, usually, since you need to have them equipped on 3-4 limbs to get a decent combo out of them. They tend to be better for killing mooks than bosses, though. A simple early game combo would be blades on both arms and the stun gun on the chest for maximum overkill. Ranged weapons are safer, but melee weapons tend to pack more of a punch, in my experience. A certain very specific part you get late in the game makes melee straight up overpowered, however.

I'm kinda surprised anyone likes the needler, it's one of my least favorite weapon types. Goes to show Rengoku 2 actually lets you make a good variety of builds.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

dis astranagant posted:

Bind a key to turbo, set turbo to 25%. Both of you hit it before going in to the loadscreen.

Turn it off when the quest starts.

It is stupid as hell and I don't understand why it hasn't been patched, but the game detects your ping and drops you past a certain point. Dropping the game speed gives you a much larger margin of ping acceptability.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Melee weapons are basically an all-or-nothing kind of deal, usually, since you need to have them equipped on 3-4 limbs to get a decent combo out of them. They tend to be better for killing mooks than bosses, though. A simple early game combo would be blades on both arms and the stun gun on the chest for maximum overkill. Ranged weapons are safer, but melee weapons tend to pack more of a punch, in my experience. A certain very specific part you get late in the game makes melee straight up overpowered, however.

I'm kinda surprised anyone likes the needler, it's one of my least favorite weapon types. Goes to show Rengoku 2 actually lets you make a good variety of builds.

I don't see how anyone could not like a pinpoint accurate, long range gun that so far straight up one shots everyone on the level you pick it up on. It's a shotgun on crack, though the heat can be a bitch without a bit of grinding.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I have a save for God of War from a PSP that can't be loaded in the emulator, is there any way to decrypt saves or whatever so I could play it on this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Try setting the emulator's MAC address to what the PSP's was.

Note that this is just spitballing based on the fact that some jerks (Sega.) have done things like that before, and if it's actually locked by account or some other intrinsic variable of the PSP you could be in trouble, because I don't think PPSSPP can emulate those parts of the system.

Likewise I don't know if a decrypter would work, because the game on the emulator might not take decrypted files and the emulator's not plugin-friendly enough to re-encrypt things yet.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 20, 2014

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Try setting the emulator's MAC address to what the PSP's was.

Note that this is just spitballing based on the fact that some jerks (Sega.) have done things like that before, and if it's actually locked by account or some other intrinsic variable of the PSP you could be in trouble, because I don't think PPSSPP can emulate those parts of the system.

Likewise I don't know if a decrypter would work, because the game on the emulator might not take decrypted files and the emulator's not plugin-friendly enough to re-encrypt things yet.

Can only randomize the mac address can't seem to change it to anything specific in the emulator

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

I don't see how anyone could not like a pinpoint accurate, long range gun that so far straight up one shots everyone on the level you pick it up on. It's a shotgun on crack, though the heat can be a bitch without a bit of grinding.

I'm just more of a fan of constant firing weapons for my long range option, I guess. Helps me pin down dudes that keep dodging around. Also keep in mind one-shotting enemies isn't always the way to go, as you get more drops from comboing them after death. That's why I like weapons like chainsaws and stun guns, for the quick stream of hits, allowing me to make the most of every kill.

By the way, it might not SEEM like it's very useful, but I found flame-based weapons, especially the flamethrower line, to be invaluable against particularly annoying minibosses, since they are just as subject to overheating as you are.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm just more of a fan of constant firing weapons for my long range option, I guess. Helps me pin down dudes that keep dodging around. Also keep in mind one-shotting enemies isn't always the way to go, as you get more drops from comboing them after death. That's why I like weapons like chainsaws and stun guns, for the quick stream of hits, allowing me to make the most of every kill.

By the way, it might not SEEM like it's very useful, but I found flame-based weapons, especially the flamethrower line, to be invaluable against particularly annoying minibosses, since they are just as subject to overheating as you are.

Well, it's got that covered because that one shot is actually 12 really fast ones. I've also gotten multiple drops from one posthumous rocket, so I think it's based on how much you fill their overkill bar anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Double posting about my Hamachi woes: turns out Windows 8.1 broke the way VPNs are handled, making Hamachi completely poo poo its pants in fun and exciting ways that can vary between Windows sessions.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've seen Evolve and SoftEther mentioned as alternatives but I didn't have any luck getting people to connect with the former and haven't tried the latter at all. Reddit uses Evolve, you could always hijack their servers whenever they're running or I guess try asking them in the Evolve chat how to set your own up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Evolve worked great. gently caress Hamachi forever for taking basically no action toward fixing their poo poo after a year of Windows 8.1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Been messing around with Warship Gunner 2 Portable and it's running great except for the research screen running half speed and any mission with a day to night transition chugging like hell for the duration of the change. I tried turning down/off some of the prettifying stuff but it doesn't help.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just gonna bump this with some pretty pictures.

I'm sure these guys are gonna bring me lots of luck.

Giant meteor cannons doing most of the heavy lifting.

:catstare:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One recent PPSSPP addition (it might be just in the Github builds?) that I highly recommend everyone turn on is 'Load ISO into Memory' if you've got 8gb RAM or more. It'll add maybe 5-20 seconds initial load time to the game, but it speeds up emulation hugely, especially streaming upscaled textures. On top of that, it reduces natural load times in-game down to effectively nil. Deploying units in Valkyria Chronicles 3 is now snappier and more responsive - no more of that telltale brief pause as it accesses the character data on the 'disc'.

Also, this really doesn't look like a PSP game anymore, does it?

I've found that forcing the virtual PSP to run at 1ghz also speeds some stuff up, and avoids some sound sync issues.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 24, 2014

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Can you say the version and settings you have for reference? That sounds really interesting to use.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

InfinityComplex posted:

Can you say the version and settings you have for reference? That sounds really interesting to use.

Version: Latest 64bit dev build.

Settings...

(Graphics)

- Rendering mode
Backend: OpenGL
Mode: Buffered
Simulate Block Transfer = On

- Framerate Control
Frameskipping: Off
Autoframeskip: Off
Prevent FPS from exceeding 60: On
Alternative Speed: 0

-Features
Postprocessing: FXAA
Fullscreen: On
Stretch: Off
Small Display: Off

- Performance
Rendering Resolution: 4xPSP
Vsync: On
Mipmapping: On
Hardware Transform: On
Software Skinning: On
Vertex Cache: On
Lazy texture caching: Off
Retain changed textures: On
Disable slower effects: Off
Spline/Bezier Curves: High

- Texture Scaling
Upscale level: 4x
Upscale type: xBRZ
Deposterize: On

-Texture Filtering
Anisotropic: 16x
Filtering: Auto
Scaling: Linear

- Hack Settings
All Off

(Audio)
Sound: On
Audio Latency: Medium

(System)
Fast Memory: Off
Multithreaded: Off
IO On Thread: Off
Force Clock Sync: On
Emulated CPU Clock: 1000
Respect FPU Rounding: On
Atomic Audio Locks: Off
Windows Keyboard: Off
Save Path: Off
Cache Full Iso In RAM: ON (Important)

Everything seems to run perfectly at its maximum native framerate. 4xPSP resolution is 1080p almost exactly, combined with 4x xBRZ upscale means that there shouldn't be any graphical artifacting from the process. No texture breaking or goofs that I've seen, at least. The biggest thing is caching ISO to RAM - it speeds up texture upscaling massively. Before, 4x would cause it to stutter quite heavily. Now I almost never see a frame dropped.

End result: Valkyria Chronicles 3 is all growed up.

I've got a midrange PC - i5-3570k, Geforce 660ti, 8gb RAM - you could probably drop resolution and scaling down one notch and get a bunch more performance if you needed it.

Edit: Just did one more test - Metal Gear Acid 2 hits my systems limits. It can only hit 89% emulation speed. Dropping it down to 3x rendering resolution gets it back up to 100 again.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 25, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Truly, you are the best at video games.

Don't you think these games suit being hooked up to the TV and running on, say, an Xbox 360 controller? I take it there's no way to run PPSSPP using a PS3 or a PSP as the controller, but with this graphical awesomeness?

They just seem so couchworthy.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 25, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Don't you think these games suit being hooked up to the PC and running on, say, an Xbox 360 controller?

It identifies the 360 controller natively. Didn't even have to set up my controls - the Home button brings up the save-state menu, too.

The PSP had a lot of pretty beefy RPGs and ports from consoles, so yeah, no reason not to enjoy it this way.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dammit, TV not PC.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Dammit, TV not PC.

I've got my TV set up as a second monitor for that exact purpose.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dominic White posted:

Also, this really doesn't look like a PSP game anymore, does it?

I've found that forcing the virtual PSP to run at 1ghz also speeds some stuff up, and avoids some sound sync issues.

What game is that anyway?

I happen to have exactly 8 GB of memory. Hopefully that's enough for it on win8.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

What game is that anyway?

I happen to have exactly 8 GB of memory. Hopefully that's enough for it on win8.

Final Fantasy Type-0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BadAstronaut posted:

games suit being hooked up to the TV and running on, say, an Xbox 360 controller? I take it there's no way to run PPSSPP using a PS3 or a PSP as the controller, but with this graphical awesomeness?

They just seem so couchworthy.

If you use the Scarlet Crush drivers a DS3 works just fine: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
There used to be an old bit of homebrew that allowed a PSP to act as a gamepad, but I doubt it works with 6.xx

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks. I'll try that. DS3 just feels more comfortable than a PSP anyway. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dominic White posted:

- Texture Scaling
Upscale level: 4x
Upscale type: xBRZ
Deposterize: On
How do your VC3 character portraits look with this? I switched to Bicubic because xBRZ made them look like a smeary mess for me, unless this is mitigated by some of your other options.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

How do your VC3 character portraits look with this? I switched to Bicubic because xBRZ made them look like a smeary mess for me, unless this is mitigated by some of your other options.

Looks pretty good to me - I think 2D stuff upscales pretty gracefully with those settings:

Edit: Those are all at 3x render resolution, but I think it's still 4x texture scaling, which should be excessive but doesn't seem to have much negative effect.
Edit 2: Yep I also turned on Fast Memory, Multithreaded, I/O on Thread and Force Real Clock Sync, seemingly to no ill effect.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 5, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh sorry, I meant the little tiny boxes for when you're selecting units like to change classes or equipment. I guess there's just so little detail there that trying to upscale it in the first place is a lost cause. I probably should have asked when I wasn't at work and could actually provide screenshots to compare.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Anything with really low pixel density is going to be illegible no matter what, like the little hand-drawn notes on the text screens. It's just as hard to decipher without upscaling, so I figure it doesn't make too much difference either way.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the FAQ, but is it possible to get the PSP games I have on my Vita into a format that can be played on the PPSSPP?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dominic White posted:

Anything with really low pixel density is going to be illegible no matter what, like the little hand-drawn notes on the text screens. It's just as hard to decipher without upscaling, so I figure it doesn't make too much difference either way.

(Bicubic)

vs.

(xBRZ)

It's not just the portraits/icons, a lot of the text looks kind of weird with xBRZ to my eyes. Like a Blu-ray that's been too heavily run through an artificial sharpener (Sword in the Stone for example). Bicubic feels a lot more natural, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a difference. The main reason I use xBRZ is because bicubic kicks up a whole lot of graphical artifacts on multi-sprite tiled layouts. Menus in particular tend to have faint lines/breaks in them, which looks really janky. Of all the upscaler types, xBRZ is the only one that doesn't seem to generate any errors.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 6, 2014

• Locked thread