Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You're making good time on the swap. When I lived in Europe, I had a buddy doing the same swap. It sat in a shop waiting for wiring for over a year, and then came out looking like rear end. Your wiring looks way better already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I'm glad I went for a newer car rather than the older ODB1 setups. I work on instrumentation for a living so it wasn't to difficult to figure out what needed to be there and what didn't.

Today I worked on the intake flip. I removed the hardlines and installed hoses to clear the coolant header.

Started hooking the engine harness back up to see what will need to be extended to work.

Last hurdle is going to be the alternator. The fuel pressure regulator and the oil dipstick are in the way. I am going to swap the fuel rails side to side and that should give me enough clearance.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

More progress on the intake flip and radiator mounts.

Started the day off with some CAD aka Carboard aided design.

Borrowed a fun little toy from a friend of mine.

Patially finished product. I will need to add some stiffeners.

As for the intake flip I swapped the fuel rails side to side and now the alternator fits.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Are you putting a vent in the side of the bus behind that radiator? Because it'd be kind of hilarious to have actual functional scoops on the side.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

You can see them near the roof in the back corner. That is how the factory engine gets cooling air.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I have the week off so progress should go more quickly.

Spent Monday extending wires for the intake flip. Everything is soldered then sealed with liquid electrical tape and heatshrink then covered in split loom and taped. I'm really hoping that the ECU to motor connections dont need to be extended as it is very time consuming.

More fiddling with the radiator mounts.

Rad installed.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Only thing left on the engine is the Alternator tensioner which will consist of a bolt that presses on the side of the alternator.

Fuel pump and filters are mounted. ECU wires are installed.

Here is a shot with both rads installed.

I have started on the interior wiring. There will be a small fuse block with four fuses for the engine. All power connections will be made at the starter so I can disconnect the batteries with a switch and disconnect.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How will you be drawing air through those rads? Ate there fans, if so, where?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Fans are going to be mounted directly on the rads. I am just waiting to hang the engine before I put them in.

Got the alternator tensioner built with a bit more cardboard aided design.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

helno posted:

Borrowed a fun little toy from a friend of mine.

Cobra/HENROB torches are the loving poo poo.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

It worked pretty good for cutting the thin sheets. I still ended up doing alot of work with the angle grinder.

Minor update for today.

Motor is in and mounted. Alternator and Intake are installed as well but I forgot to take a picture.

Remaining items.

-Battery cables
-Radiator fans
-remaining fuel hoses
-coolant lines

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well I dropped the engine to install the rad fans yesterday.

They fit well and draw a lot of air. When the are on the can hold a piece of paper on a very small part of the air intake ports.

Big fan on the left side

Two small fans on the right

So all that is left is the breather hoses and the throttle linkage.

I figured I should fill the rads up and run the engine.

When I filled the coolant I was mixing the next jug and I started to hear dripping.

The coolant was coming from on top of the engine. Part of the intake swap had be reroute the throttle body coolant lines and it looks like one of the welds on the heater return line failed right were that small line connects.

So the engine in back out and I will plug the small line and replace the hardline with flexible hose and will be back in action.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

helno posted:

When I filled the coolant I was mixing the next jug and I started to hear dripping.

Congrats on meeting your goal! :woop:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you want to keep the vw aircooled sound just loosen up one side on the exhaust or use an old leaky gasket on it. No one outside will notice the difference!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

If you want to keep the vw aircooled sound just loosen up one side on the exhaust or use an old leaky gasket on it. No one outside will notice the difference!

Sure they will; it'll be running! :v:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The exhaust is going to be interesting.

Plan is to run the stock exhaust headers forward and just strap on a big cheap muffler and dump out the side for now. Maybe ill get something fancy made up but that will be later.

It is Labour day today so the stores are all closed. So I cant get the heater hose to fix the leak and I cant get new fuel filters for my plane so all my stuff is on hold today.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUl-VLgUotk

Now with less coolant leaks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Urabus indeed. Excellent work!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I was a little concerned during the first run that the thermostat wasnt opening.

I drained the coolant and tested it and it worked perfectly. Turns out just idling the engine it takes about 10 minutes to get up above 80 C where it starts to open. With the bus sitting there you can feel hot air coming up the cooling air ducts and the fans take only a few seconds to drop the coolant temperature once they activate at 95 C.

My wife is insisting I install the exhaust before I take a test drive and in the interests of not pissing off my neighbors I think I will.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"The exhaust" better consist of cherry bombs bolted directly to the headers. :colbert:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I moved the bus out of the garage today.

Right now the exhaust consists of the headers and cats from the Subaru and it is surprisingly quiet.

First run started out well and then it started behaving badly and didn't want to rev above idle. Turns out that 10 litres don't fill the tank very well. Added another 20 L and it drives quite well.

I drove it with the rear hatch open and it certainly heats the cabin in a hurry when the fans come on. Once everything was closed up it seems to cool as expected. Once you get around 40 km/hr the coolant temperature drops with the fans off.

There are two shops that can do custom exhaust in the area so I will put the insurance back on and get some estimates next week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Brilliant news, any chance of a video?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I'll have the insurance on it tomorrow. I can probably get some video with the hilariously low ground clearance.

With just the headers and cats it sounds just like the vw until the fans kick on.

Only two ODB codes. One for a missing solenoid and one for my knock sensor so I will have to figure out why it is not working.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well I have put a few miles on the new engine.

It is still very loud. I drove it to the next town over and am going to get a custom exhaust made up next week.

So far there are no coolant leaks other than the odd drip while it warms up.

My alternator belt was slipping a bit so I added a bit more travel to my mount and got it tighter.

Added this mount to keep the filler from resting on the throttle body.

Cleaned out the garage. So many cardboard boxes.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Got the car back from the shop.

They did a pretty nice job on the exhaust. Nice and quiet.

Still have to address a couple trouble codes. The knock sensor is dead.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

helno posted:

They did a pretty nice job on the exhaust. Nice and quiet.

Probably not a huge concern, but wouldn't you want the entire circumference of the exhaust ports going into individual pipes and then mating up? Currently looks like you've got a Venn-diagram like overlap happening with the single pipe flange mating up to dual exits on the block side. As long as it seals now I guess it won't be too bad, and the new engine is already a nice bump in power from what originally came in there so any loss in power isn't a huge issue I guess. Figured since the exhaust was being fabbed up anyway, it shouldn't be too much more work to have it done with a short 4-2-1 header design.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

It is a single port engine. Only one big hole in each side.

Here is what the old y pipe looked like.
http://gallery.legacycentral.org/d/17545-2/DSCF4157.JPG

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

helno posted:

Is the oil pan supposed to be only a couple inches off the ground? :psyduck:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Is the oil pan supposed to be only a couple inches off the ground? :psyduck:

"a couple" seems generous.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

That picture makes it look worse than in it actually is. With the stock Subaru oil pan you lose about 3" over the type 4 engine.

Next add on is a shortened oil pan. I can only afford so many expensive parts all at once so this will have to wait till next spring.

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Subaru_Vanagon_Steel_Oil_Pan_p/rmw-o4.htm

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are a million shortened pan options from non-vw-specific places that don't cost what a used car does.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

There are a million shortened pan options from non-vw-specific places that don't cost what a used car does.

For example, these guys sell a laser-cut, strengthened pan bottom for $50 if you're willing to cut & weld the old pan yourself: http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/oil_pan.htm

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I haven't looked around much yet.

I actually measured the pan today and it is far better Than my 03 jetta.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

All I can think of when I see that oil pan is

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Someone earlier asked for a video of it driving so I got one tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungX9xRxJEQ

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man that engine note is distinctly Subaru isn't it?

Looks and sounds great. You need to fix your reverse lights :)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah the power supply to them is unplugged. From the factory they piggyback off of the fuel pump. I have a few other wires to run yet so I'll get to them at some point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have to give my compact* (*by today's standards) car a lot more throttle to back into a flat parking spot - we won't even mention what I have to do to it to get it backed up on anything resembling a driveway.

How much does it weigh? :stare:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

How much does it weigh? :stare:

Book value is 3300 lbs with a gvwr of 5000 lbs. Roughly the same as a Ford Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Just wanted to say that I am really impressed with this project. Please keep updating

• Locked thread