Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Kikka posted:

This thread actually made me watch Thief and the Cobbler again. God drat that is some animation.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I thought of another one that belongs here: Last Days of Coney Island

This one has been Ralph Bakshi's baby for years, and he recently ran a successful kickstarter to get the first part of it funded : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ralphbakshi/last-days-of-coney-island-0

Ralph Bakshi is kind of a controversial guy for a lot of reasons, but I really hope he gets the chance to finish this.

Pretty sure anything by Don Hertzfeldt counts as a passion project and also troubled (as in hosed up): http://www.bitterfilms.com/ WARNING: Hertzfeldt films are brilliant and beautiful, but also contain highly graphic and disturbing imagery. Don't watch "everything will be ok", "I am so proud of you", or "It's such a beautiful day" if you don't feel like being extremely sad for a while. Do watch rejected if you want to laugh at something violently funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFxc75zuUE (Now with bonus text commentary!)

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 10, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
God everytime I think of Richard Williams I just die a little inside, here we have is a man of such immense skill (I would even dare say that you probably will never have 2D animators with as firm a grasp of the craft as him) that it really sucks that he had no ability to set limits and boundaries or have a producer on his back to make him just FINISH IT in a specific amount of time. what a goddamn shame, what's even worse is that in the last interview he gave it was the primary reason he never tried to go for another movie again.

This is why, for all it's faults I really do prefer the hard studio deadlines of one movie every two years, (kind of like how long it takes ghibli to make their movies), if you have a story, say it, move on, if it's bad, learn from it, if you were limited, work around it. It's just that when I read cases in which movies took five, six, and in some cases TEN years to get made I just think that it's such a huge sacrifice and many times those movies tend not to be worth that decade long investment of your life.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 1, 2014

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
Would The Magic 7 count? I don't know if it's a passion project, but it's sure as hell troubled. I admit I'm a bit sad that this'll probably never see the light of day, at least not with John Candy and Madeline Kahn's voices.
It's listed on IMDb with a 2009 release date and almost 200 users have voted on it, but there's no actual evidence that it ever aired, so it's safe to assume they're all full of poo poo. Director Roger Holzberg tweeted that the film is gathering dust in his garage.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kikka posted:

Except Vincent Price!

Also can we talk about terrible animation in general? Because Don Bluth is problematic.

Don Bluth is really strange because he's responsible for The Secret of Nimh, which is fantastic, but then put out poo poo like Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, and A Troll in Central Park.

The thing that sticks out the most is the frequent criticism that his characters are overly expressive, with really weird, unnatural movements especially while speaking. His characters never see to stop loving moving at times and it annoys the poo poo out of me.

Actually, Bluth's animation is just weird in general. There's the infamous "Marry the Mole" song number in Thumbelina, which IIRC is the only animated film to get a Razzie because the song is just terrible, and I distinctly remember Thumbelina swinging her arms and her head in glee as the mouse/rat/whatever sings about her basically being forced to marry a loving mole. Why would you have a character dancing and bouncing happily to a song that's telling her to "get married to a creepy rear end animal and :dealwithit:?"

edit: nope, Eight Crazy Nights got a Razzie too, completely forgot about that piece of poo poo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anyone posted We Are the Strange yet?

The trailer made it seem kind of interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qCSahatkbk

Apparently it's a one-man project from a guy who considers himself some kind of animation auteur, "M dot Strange". He claims that this movie was made with a groundbreaking mix of stop-motion, 8-bit graphics, and anime that he dubs "Str8nime" (commence eye rolling).

I was interested enough to watch the whole movie, which the creator has posted on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlD7EVSJFw

It turns out to be way, way less interesting than the trailer makes it out to be. It basically boils down to someone smashing some action figures together for an hour and half while making explosion noises with his mouth. The much-hyped Str8nime is just Poser-esque CG and stop motion with dolls that look like Sid from Toy Story had his way with them. Nothing in it reminds me of anime at all, unless you count a tissue paper ghost having inexplicable DBZ battles.

So yeah, there's that. Somehow this got into Sundance 2007.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
I was actually thinking of that movie, but I had forgotten the name! I would only recommend it as a cure for insomnia: I tried to watch it once, back in college, but never made it all the way through.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

God everytime I think of Richard Williams I just die a little inside, here we have is a man of such immense skill (I would even dare say that you probably will never have 2D animators with as firm a grasp of the craft as him) that it really sucks that he had no ability to set limits and boundaries or have a producer on his back to make him just FINISH IT in a specific amount of time. what a goddamn shame, what's even worse is that in the last interview he gave it was the primary reason he never tried to go for another movie again.

This is why, for all it's faults I really do prefer the hard studio deadlines of one movie every two years, (kind of like how long it takes ghibli to make their movies), if you have a story, say it, move on, if it's bad, learn from it, if you were limited, work around it. It's just that when I read cases in which movies took five, six, and in some cases TEN years to get made I just think that it's such a huge sacrifice and many times those movies tend not to be worth that decade long investment of your life.

It would have made more sense to keep it a side project and just do more commercials for income. After Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the ad fees would have been enough to self-fund and just get a studio to release. Williams didn't seem to have a good sense of who to work with since his "for hire" feature Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure was financed by the CIA. Putting a side project in a studio deal is like putting your house under mortgage to make a movie.

Animation seems to be a dead zone for auteur-driven works that are good. As soon as Chuck Jones left Warner Bros., his work turned to poo poo. You do have a lot of indie animators making great works with no one to answer to (like Don Herdzfeldt), but then you have lunatics like John K...

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 8, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

I was actually thinking of that movie, but I had forgotten the name! I would only recommend it as a cure for insomnia: I tried to watch it once, back in college, but never made it all the way through.

I did, and honestly if you've seen 5 minutes you've seen the whole thing. The trailer is a better movie than the actual movie, mostly because of the music.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Egbert Souse posted:

since his "for hire" feature Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure was financed by the CIA.

wait, what? I HAVE to know more about this.

Where can I look into this?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

The CIA financed a lot of art, particularly abstract modern artists, as kind of a "cultural weapon" during the cold war to oppose communist art and foster creativity among Russian artists. It's relatively well known now.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I want Big Bug Man to be released one day just so I can watch a YouTube of Marlon Brando's scenes since it was the last piece of acting he did before he died and he voices an old lady.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

It was meant to tie in with the US bicentennial since it was meant to be released around Christmas 1976. From what I've read, the production was sort of straightforward until near the end. Abe Levitow was originally going to direct with Richard Williams being more of an animation supervisor. Levitow died before production and Williams took over. The producers insisted on the script being filmed/animated exactly as-is without changes, despite Williams asking for some of the songs to be cut and replaced with more character developing material. It went over schedule by three months and Gerald Potterton took over (who was working on some animation anyways).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was there any link between Richard Williams and George Dunning? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0242945/?ref_=tt_ov_dr#animation_department

Because the Raggedy Ann movie reminds me a lot of Yellow Submarine. Or maybe it was just the style at the time?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The thief and the cobbler is probably the most famous troubled animation passion project. If you're one of the few people who haven't heard of it you can read about it's long and tragic history here: http://www.tested.com/art/movies/44961-thieves-cobblers-and-fan-edits-the-50_year-odyssey-of-an-animated-masterpiece/

You can also watch the movie in as close of a state to finished as it will ever be here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL18B0CA620B61D076

I'm still pretty positive that this would not have been a terribly good movie outside of the animation. It's also a case where I can't really blame the studio for taking over the film. Richard Williams is a brilliant animator but that's pretty much all he is. It's clear from Persistence of Vision he never really had any interest in telling a story or really saying anything at all, he just wanted as much time as possible to make his animation as beautiful as possible. I'm not taking away from his animation at all, it is bar none the best animation I've ever seen, but in watching an entire Documentary about him making that movie, I still don't' really know what his Thief and the Cobbler would have even been about. He kept adding scenes just because he wanted to animate them rather than because they made any sense. From what I remember, by the time the movie got taken away from him, he had like four hours of scenes planned for his hour and a half long movie. His version would have been a pleasure to behold and might have been some of the best animation the world has ever seen, but I just don't think it would have been a very good movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

axleblaze posted:

I'm still pretty positive that this would not have been a terribly good movie outside of the animation. It's also a case where I can't really blame the studio for taking over the film. Richard Williams is a brilliant animator but that's pretty much all he is. It's clear from Persistence of Vision he never really had any interest in telling a story or really saying anything at all, he just wanted as much time as possible to make his animation as beautiful as possible. I'm not taking away from his animation at all, it is bar none the best animation I've ever seen, but in watching an entire Documentary about him making that movie, I still don't' really know what his Thief and the Cobbler would have even been about. He kept adding scenes just because he wanted to animate them rather than because they made any sense.

Yeah, I think the thief character is the best example of this. Aside from setting the events of the film in the motion, he doesn't play any role in the plot of the film and doesn't even really interact with the other characters. The whole character is just an excuse to have some cool animation.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don't know about you guys, but if the quality is good enough and the visuals are enough of a spectacle, I'm totally fine with watching something that's just gorgeous animation and a plot that serves only to string together beautiful scenes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know about you guys, but if the quality is good enough and the visuals are enough of a spectacle, I'm totally fine with watching something that's just gorgeous animation and a plot that serves only to string together beautiful scenes.

I'm not even sure if the plot really was enough there to string the scenes together.

Let me put it this way, I would have much preferred to get William's version of the movie than the one we got. I'm still not convinced it would be entirely watchable but I could at least put it in the Secret of the Kells category where it'd be a movie that could be watched on mute and lose very little.

In general, it's just aggravating to me because I went into Persistance of Vision (the documentary made about Williams and his struggles with making the Thief and the Cobbler) expecting the usual tale of a guy being screwed over by the system but instead I saw a movie where a guy was given a huge chance to make his dream a reality and he hosed it up because oddly enough his dream was so badly defined and poorly thought out. Like William's took countless jobs he didn't like to build up the money and reputation to make this movie and then when he got this perfect opportunity he just wanted to fully animate every idea he'd ever had, caring little how it fit together.

The worst part is in all other places his was the exact opposite. In every other job he was incredibly disciplined and detail focused and got things done on time and to perfection. Funnily enough, this is partly because he just didn't give a poo poo about these other projects, except as a means to make The Thief and the Cobbler. He could let things go without going over them again and again to make sure every detail was perfect. His "good enough" was just so much better than anyone else's best that it didn't matter. It's staggering to think that to him Roger Rabbit was something he had no real passion for but apparently that was the case. To him it was a job that he did to the best of his abilities and that's about it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Thief and the cobbler has some spectacular, almost unbelieveable sequences (the optical illusion chase and the polo match which both have fully animated backgrounds with the "camera" swinging all over the place spring to mind, and the one eye war machine), but they're stitched together with long stretches of Williams asking you to be enthralled by not much happening while he shows off his fluid and stylized character animation skills, which while very technically accomplished quickly become kinda dull when there's no story to speak of

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

effectual posted:

Was there any link between Richard Williams and George Dunning? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0242945/?ref_=tt_ov_dr#animation_department

Because the Raggedy Ann movie reminds me a lot of Yellow Submarine. Or maybe it was just the style at the time?

Not exactly, but his studio and TVC shared a lot of talent at the time. Ironically, the book Inside the Yellow Submarine has a few bits of an interview with Williams and he pretty much puts down the film. Corny Cole, who worked in Chuck Jones unit at Warner Bros and later for Jones' and Friz Freleng's studios, was "production designer" on Raggedy Ann & Andy. Basically, designed a lot of the character and settings. He seemed to do a lot of uncredited work as a designer or layout artist - he worked on The Thief, the 1989 Little Nemo feature, and did the title sequence for Flesh Gordon.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Many years ago I was very excited about the upcoming animated movie adaptation of "Conan: red nails". After some design sketches, a cast that included Ron Perlman having recorded the voices, some stills there was...nothing. Radio silence for a year or two, now the website is taken down and it's even been removed from IMDB.

http://www.conanrednails.com

There's not even a blurb on Wikipedia anymore. The Rotten Tomatoes page is still up though:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/conan-red-nails/

And according to this article from MTV news from 2008 the film is still alive and on its way. At least it mentioned the people owning the Conan character (the stories are in public domain) are ok with it.
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/11/whatever-happened-to-the-conan-red-nails-animated-feature/

Years ago I remember reading an interview with Perlman where they asked him about the movie and his response was "Is that thing still coming out?"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I would have agreed with this completely had I not seen The Secret of Kells. That movie is gorgeous but the plot is beyond boring and continually lost my interest, visuals or not.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
Ralph Bakshi seems like the type where all his animation is troubled passion projects. One of the ones I like is Hey Good Lookin'. A version of the film was completed in 1975, but not released and the live-action scenes replaced by animation for a release in 1982.

I like it because it's got a loving rad soundtrack combining 80's keyboards and like, doo-wop songs. It's worth tracking down the soundtrack. Fun fact: set the record for longest time between movie release and soundtrack release because it came out in 2004 or something.

The film as a whole is kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes funny, often cringe-inducing with shithead characters. Ralph Bakshi's bombshell character designs always kind of rubbed me the wrong way, I dunno.

The circumstances around the movie are interesting though, and I like the cynical depiction of the 50's that was so idealized especially in the 80's (Grease, Happy Days, etc.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fatkraken posted:

Thief and the cobbler has some spectacular, almost unbelieveable sequences (the optical illusion chase and the polo match which both have fully animated backgrounds with the "camera" swinging all over the place spring to mind, and the one eye war machine), but they're stitched together with long stretches of Williams asking you to be enthralled by not much happening while he shows off his fluid and stylized character animation skills, which while very technically accomplished quickly become kinda dull when there's no story to speak of

One common theme among all these troubled projects is that the most talented animators seem to have the hardest time leading when it comes to actually putting out a finished film. That's not unexpected, as having creativity means spending a lot of time inside your own head, but without the right kind of team behind you things will never get done. Like you listen to ex-Disney animators talk in interviews about how their vision was compromised by producers here, how the work was sabotaged there, but in the back of my mind I'm also thinking "yeah, because otherwise the thing would never be released."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

One common theme among all these troubled projects is that the most talented animators seem to have the hardest time leading when it comes to actually putting out a finished film. That's not unexpected, as having creativity means spending a lot of time inside your own head, but without the right kind of team behind you things will never get done. Like you listen to ex-Disney animators talk in interviews about how their vision was compromised by producers here, how the work was sabotaged there, but in the back of my mind I'm also thinking "yeah, because otherwise the thing would never be released."

Yeah, I saw Jodorowsky's Dune recently and it's funny that some of the people keep saying stuff like how "Hollywood was too scared to do something like this because they're afraid of new ideas" and I couldn't help but role my eyes because everything about that movie screamed "delayed and over budget" and even in the best case scenario there was no way it was going to make the kind of money they were asking for back. That movie would have been rad as hell but whatever exec greenlighted it would have also been fired.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know there was talk for a while of a third animated Heavy Metal movie, but that's been on and off for years. There have been so many people attached, rumored and announced it seems with almost zero real movement.

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I saw Jodorowsky's Dune recently and it's funny that some of the people keep saying stuff like how "Hollywood was too scared to do something like this because they're afraid of new ideas" and I couldn't help but role my eyes because everything about that movie screamed "delayed and over budget" and even in the best case scenario there was no way it was going to make the kind of money they were asking for back. That movie would have been rad as hell but whatever exec greenlighted it would have also been fired.

I think the Jodorowsky version of Dune almost feels like something that looks great on paper and in our imaginations, it sounds amazingly fantastic and strange in terms of setting and tone compared to the actual filmed products we've gotten.

I just get the feeling that for all the mainstream and fan complaints that even Lynch Dune got, the Jodorowsky version would have gotten even more and worse. Even the fans would have probably have said that it probably would have worked better as an original new property than an adaptation if it had been made.

Granted, though, it's been a long time since I read up on the J-Dune details and I probably need a refresher, but a lot of it does sound like it could be go to either extreme of being surreal to the extent of being either really bad or really engrossing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The thing about J-Dune is, Jodorowsky has serious filmmaking chops in addition to probably being batshit insane. If there's anyone who could actually make those ideas work, it's him, judging by the existence of El Topo and The Holy Mountain.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Granted, though, it's been a long time since I read up on the J-Dune details and I probably need a refresher, but a lot of it does sound like it could be go to either extreme of being surreal to the extent of being either really bad or really engrossing.

my interest was piqued and I googled, and found out there was a documentary about the failed project made last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-oBEGF7uwE

batshit mental is right, but I'd love to have just experienced it, for better or worse

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

my interest was piqued and I googled, and found out there was a documentary about the failed project made last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-oBEGF7uwE

batshit mental is right, but I'd love to have just experienced it, for better or worse

This movie is great just because Jodorowsky is a delight to spend time with. His reaction to Lynch's Dune is like the best thing ever. The movie's biggest flaw is how much it hypes up said movie. I th ink it would have been rad as gently caress but the hyperbole going on in the film got to be a bit much for me.

Still, while I realize he is a crazy filmmaker that can actually get poo poo done, I still find it hard to blame anyone with money for not wanting to risk a large chunk on him getting that movie done. The movie doesn't help it's case by talking about how alot of the effects would have even been hard to do today, and then just assuring us that it would have been done without telling us how they planned to do that.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

axleblaze posted:

This movie is great just because Jodorowsky is a delight to spend time with. His reaction to Lynch's Dune is like the best thing ever. The movie's biggest flaw is how much it hypes up said movie. I th ink it would have been rad as gently caress but the hyperbole going on in the film got to be a bit much for me.

Still, while I realize he is a crazy filmmaker that can actually get poo poo done, I still find it hard to blame anyone with money for not wanting to risk a large chunk on him getting that movie done. The movie doesn't help it's case by talking about how alot of the effects would have even been hard to do today, and then just assuring us that it would have been done without telling us how they planned to do that.

I love the fact that he tried to sway Orson Welles to the project by offering to hire a specific chef from Welles' favorite restaurant to basically cater the movie, and also offered to pay Dali the highest salary to any actor ever to appear for a few minutes.

Over budget doesn't begin to describe the movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Atoramos posted:

Say no more

Haha, holy poo poo!

I do sort of wish that it had more of her comic ensemble cast (remember, two of these are available for nearly free on Lulu) but I have watched this with friends several times and it is completely worth it for the ":confused:" alone. We laughed, we laughed until we cried, we continued laughing. It blows its load a little with the yeowling pumpkin though because jesus eff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pixeltendo posted:

I'd like to nominate Delgo as a troubled animation passion, the movie took so long to come out, one of the actors Anne Bancroft died during development, the director also expected it to surprass Shrek at the box office and be the new star wars (dream big), and well, the movie bombed HARD.

Delgo is actually a perfect example. If you go back far enough on this site, I even professed a little bit of optimism about it--I wanted to believe. I should not have believed; belief was wrong.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The producers of Delgo tried to sue James Cameron for claiming his big epic ripped off their ideas.

A couple I recall.

Rustboy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRms4B_iaSo

The concept was to create quality 3D animation with a low budget program, Infini-D/Carrara.
Back in 2005 this was pretty mind blowing as you either had to use 3D Studio Max or Maya which a proper license entered into the thousands.

It was fascinating reading his making ofs and figuring out how to create effects with a program that didn't really support it.

However despite initially strong reactions the project failed to gain any backing and drifted into dev hell.

Ninjai - the little ninja.
One of the better put together flash animation series with a strong art design and style that set it apart from the dozens of dick jokes or anime derivatives that flooded Newgrounds at the time.

However since 2006 it hasn't updated and there's been a long awaited feature film that is constantly "coming soon".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

WebDog posted:

Ninjai - the little ninja.
One of the better put together flash animation series with a strong art design and style that set it apart from the dozens of dick jokes or anime derivatives that flooded Newgrounds at the time.

However since 2006 it hasn't updated and there's been a long awaited feature film that is constantly "coming soon".

:stare: Holy poo poo I remember seeing this in elementary school and being like :aaaaa:, good to know I didn't completely hallucinate it.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

This isn't so much a passion project, but it certainly is troubled.

That new Dorothy of Oz movie. Yeah, it looks like total garbage. Well it is, and apparently the people behind it are too.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/legends-of-oz-investors-who-each-paid-100000-believe-hollywood-conspiracy-destroyed-film-99641.html

Posted at the bottom of that article is this link: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-818-909-6800 . This leads to an 800-number reporting page where apparently this company was calling people as early as 2005 looking for investors for Dorothy of Oz.

Dig further on that page and you'll come up with a whole can of worms. The guys behind it were a set of brothers, Ryan and Roland Carrol. They run a business called Alpine Pictures. They have also scammed people just like this at least five times prior. Here is their lovely webpage (warning: auto playing video): http://www.alpinepix.com/ You'll notice that the horrible auto playing video is in fact Dorothy of Oz (which is also listed on the front page), even though the film isn't produced by them.

Instead, it's produced by a company called Summertime Entertainment. Summertime Entertainment is just Alpine Pictures with a new name to avoid their blacklisted history.

On the web, it seems all high rated reviews of the film are from investors. You can see a few on IMDB, not sure about Metacritic. Edit: Rottentomatoes's comments are also filled with investors. You can also find a whooooole lot of investors on that 800-number page, along with an employee or two saying that it isn't a scam and the movie will be the biggest of 2012(sic). Also mixed into those comments are many, many, many C&D forms and other court papers detailing Alpine Picture's shady investment schemes.

The IMDB earnings section is also very entertaining:

Budget
$70,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend
$3,715,931 (USA) (11 May 2014) (2,575 Screens)

Gross
$3,715,931 (USA) (11 May 2014)

Weekend Gross
$3,715,931 (USA) (11 May 2014) (2,575 Screens)

In other words, please don't go see this film.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 19, 2014

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Awesome Welles posted:

Don Bluth is really strange because he's responsible for The Secret of Nimh, which is fantastic, but then put out poo poo like Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, and A Troll in Central Park.

Don Bluth's animation became predictable after a while. Every character bounces up and down, faces stretch and squash a lot, tongues lolling about, big lower lips, really uncomfortable physicality...

Also, Bluth REALLY loves to use counteractions to actions. If a character moves their head, they move it just a bit to the other direction first. When a sword is pulled, there's a really emphasized squat when it's gripped and a great swing when it's unsheathed. It's very restless.

You can find every single thing I mentioned in this YT video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt3xrJfcx-Q

EDIT: other thing I noticed after looking. His animation is usually very high contrast. If a character moves slowly, the movement is very slow and stiff, and things tend to go a bit off model. When characters emote, they just go nuts; there's few grey areas. He's usually better at animating high energy movement.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 18, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

At some point this week I want to see about making an effortpost about Mamoru Nagano's Gothicmade, which wasn't very high profile but was still a hilarious trainwreck. The major problem is actually getting the details together since there's so little data available. Here's the short version: A notably arrogant animator and comic artist builds an extremely small team of animators to do a feature film adaptation of his cult mech series, which takes six years and ends up looking wonky as hell due to the animators vastly underestimating the amount of work required to make the designs look good, and it all ends up crashing and burning on release with the creator refusing to release a home video version and trying to pretend it never happened.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wait, Gothicmade came out? I remember it looked dope as gently caress when stuff was first coming out, but Mamoru Nagano is a raging rear end in a top hat (he very nearly drove the creator of Gundam to suicide by being an rear end in a top hat) so not only does this not surprise me but it greatly amuses me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gothicmade hit theaters in 2012. I haven't seen it (since I don't live in japan and, again there's no DVD or Blu release) but by all accounts the animation looks comically under-par considering the experience of those involved, with action scenes that have mechs sliding around flash animation-style and some amazingly bad mouth cycling.

Making 80's-era Tomino want to kill himself isn't exactly an accomplishment, but yeah, even discounting a lot of the shadier rumors (i.e. him allegedly calling Syd Mead a hack in an issue of Newtype Magazine nobody has ever found) Nagano is by all accounts a massive dick. My favorite story is how when he got invited to design some of the mecha for Char's Counter-Attack back in 1988, he supposedly turned in some designs and then demanded that he should be the sole designer of all the mechanical elements of the movie, even though it was pretty late into pre-production and most of the designs had been finalized. When Sunrise told him thanks no thanks he took his designs with him and then spent the next 20 years constantly talking about how Sunrise TOTALLY hosed UP by not letting him have sole control over the designs and occasionally leaking partials of the work he did.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Stuff about that new Dorothy of Oz movie.

I had a feeling this movie was insane. The animation just looks horrid and has the weirdest cast for a summer movie I have ever seen. When I saw the trailers I just assumed they were sitting on the movie for several years trying to finish it and rushed it to end after Oz came out last year.

• Locked thread