Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Mission Log: February 7th, 2029

The Space shuttle Mars Noden 2 (MN2) is launched by DynCorp Aeronautics without issue or incident from Houston. The shuttle moves from point Alpha (Earth) to point Beta which lies about half way between the Moon and Mars. The deep space is truly enigmatic and awe inspiring. The feeling of nothingness surrounds you, bringing with it the multitude of experiences that could never be achieved outside of it. No matter who you are seeing the Earth beneath you enveloped by unwavering darkness leaves you with both a feeling of godliness and humble reverence.

Mission Log: June 13th, 2029

MN2 has arrived to point Beta. To complete it's first objective the crew launched a series of payloads towards Mars. The payloads were remotely guided from MN2 until they were close enough on course to land at the appropriate sites.

Mission Log: July 4th, 2029

The crew started on their second objective; the testing of a biostasis capsule designed for long distance space use. It was deemed safe in an underwater environment which simulates many conditions of space travel. Because of it's sensitive nature, NASA wanted to test it on a full crew in space just to ensure it was capable. The shuttle has an internal auto pilot designed to wake up the pilot if anything changes, or 24 hours before the expected time of reentry (ETR). To last that long the shuttle lowered it's acceleration and took an arch based path back to Earth. The crew makes their final communication to Houston and starts their 'slumber'.

February 2nd, 2030

09:25:00

Your journey to full consciousness starts with a powerful gasp of the cold stagnant air. A combination of whirling gears and hydraulics can be heard all around as the various machines start up automatically. The sound of air pressure being released rises to a moderate whine and then cuts off.

It's been seven months since you were last awake. Your body is weak. The front panel of your pod lifts open. You're lying slanted towards the center console. You can see an array of screens surrounding the large set of glowing controls and large front windows. The chilled air begins to seep into your pod, bringing a scent of cold chrome

09:30:03

You are finally capable of moving about. The front windows show an Earth you haven't seen in almost a full year.

The screen in front of you powers on automatically. It tries to connect to DynCorp's Houston office with a connection prompt on screen, but three chilling words are all that appear.

"No connection found"

Put actions or direct questions to the GM in italics. In your first post put your character sheet. In every post start with your character name in bold. In every combat have all related stats on hand. Make sure you search things and write anything you want to try down.

You have 23:54:57 until the expected time of re-entry and a nuclear powered spaceship at your disposal to figure something out with.

Original recruitment: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3024459

Crew
Dr. Wren Meadows played by Sociopastry
Dr. Marcus Kincaid played by Hipster Occultist
Nicholas Copland played by Pinechild
Fang Tao Li (Thomas Fang) played by Error 404
Raige Riguez played by Mustache Ride

Posting Conventions

quote:

Character name

Stuff your character is thinking and doing

Stuff your character wants to try, including appropriate dice rolls

Anytime you use XP, post a new copy of your sheet for my sanity. Include a character sheet in your first post. Lets us know why you are here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thomas Fang

Tom's eyes shoot open, and he gasps for breath, for the first time in almost a year. He starts coughing at the distinct medicinal aftertaste of the Cryo process. His joints and tendons pop in a chain reaction that moves from head to toe.

Tom stretches and maneuvers himself to the lockers for a towel and a jumpsuit. He puts his Multi-tool in a cargo pocket, and his ePad in the other.

After a quick meal of whatever liquid vitamin slurry the Docs back home had decided would be best for a newly awakened Cryonaut (some technician's joke back in the labs that stuck around), Tom begins checking screens and readouts, waiting for the others to come around.

So yeah, I'm not a pilot or anything, I'm just trying for a general sense of things, so I'm going to try and poke at the 'No Connection Found' and see if I can get any signals. Audio, Video, Internet, anything.
Pool is (INT 3 + Computer 2) 5 Dice.
Also, do you want us to roll, or would you rather we post dice pools like above and have you roll and narrate at the same time?

I am on the ship because I'm a trust-fund glory seeker who invested 90% of my inheritance with the corp on the condition that I get to test it in a bid to put my name in the history books.

BOOKKEEPING STUFF
XP SPENT: 59/60 (1 left)
Resolve from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Stamina from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Composure from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Drive 1 (3xp)
Survival 1 (3xp)
Weaponry 2 (6xp)
Fame 1 (2xp)

Personal Gear:
ePad: a PDA (like an iPad) with manuals, favorite books, photos of family, a few saved movies to watch, etc.
Multi-Tool
Utility Knife
20 Water purifying tablets
X Ration Bars

STATBLOCK
pre:
Health
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower
[X][ ][ ][ ]
Init Mod: +7   Defense: 3   Armor: 0
Attack (bare hands)      5 dice 
       (Utility Knife)   ??

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 2, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Just post the dice pools.

Thomas tries his best and finds that automatic protocols don't seem to work well. There is an option for manual, and fudging it around he begins to see a variety of options, though the equipment is sensitive. You can manually scan ground radios by area, though it seems focused entirely on the US.

The DynCorp channel is dead at the moment. NASA's channel is dead at the moment as well, although there are other people using various military bands, but they're very weak. The only strong ones appear encoded and would need to be decrypted, and you seem to be unable to do that at this time. You might be able to pull something specific if you focus on a region or even a city.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think I'll wait until the others weigh in before digging deeper.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Dr. Marcus Kincaid

Marcus's body is wracking with heaving coughing as he returns to consciousnesses, and he spits out a wad of blue cryogenic solution over the side of his pod. "Looks the drainage system needs some fine tuning," he mutters as he lifts himself out of the pod.

He stifles yet another coughing fit by choking down some of the foul paste they call food on space flights, and greets Thomas as he joins him by the central consoles. He plops down in the chair quite heavily, still clearly weak from being in suspended animation for six months and begins running some basic diagnostic programs. Its then that he notices the blinking "no connection found" on the central screen next to him. His brow furrows a bit as he considers the implications of their communications being down. "Hey Raige, once you're back in the world of the living you mind coming over here and checking this out?" He yells back over his shoulder.

Just doing my science thing, going to run some checks to see if the cyro system worked properly and whatnot. Int 5 + Science 5 + speciality (and merit) = 12 dice

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

Shivering profusely as the Cryo fluid drains away, Raige holds in his desire to scream at the foul state of his body after 7 months of Cryo sleep. Ignoring the others waking up from their own individual jells, Raige gasps the cool tank air of the craft's environmental systems, and heads for the galley. After drawing a water pouch and gulping it down, he pops some Advil in his mouth, and quickly maneuvers around the others towards the cockpit.

Nodding at the communications screen with the "No Connection Found" message, Raige pulls a large red binder from beneath the seat and starts to work through his assigned checklist, whole at the same time slowly working feeling back into his lower extremities.

After performing the checklist for some time, checking the state of the fuel, the mechanical devices, and querying the computer for any issues, he finally comes to the section regarding the communications, and queries the computer for the exact issue they are having with their connection to Houston.

Dice Pool: Computers (4) + Int (3) + Speciality (AI) = 9

Focusing on Houston and Diagnostic poo poo

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Nicholas Copland

As Nick wakes up, he groggily tries to memorize the exact sounds of what he's hearing--he really wishes he had been able to set up some kind of recorder, but his little gadget would have run out of either battery or memory space months ago. Oh well, que sera and all that.

He stumbles over towards the blinking lights and the crowd, kind of at a loss for what's going on. "So, what, all the communications are down? Is there, like, some kind of ship's log we can check, see if Ground Control sent us anything before... whatever happened?" He could poke around and try to find it himself, but it looks like Thomas and Raige have a pretty good handle on how the computer works. If there's any message from Earth, it might give some kind of clue as to what the gently caress happened in the last 9 months--and if there isn't, that'd be pretty telling, too.

I don't want to push them out of the way or anything, but if an assist is necessary to search the computer system, Int 3 + Computers 1 = 4 dice.

Nick's here because an anonymous donor is paying him and the NY Phil a stupid amount of money to write a symphony about the new age of space travel, and what kind of idiot would pass up a free trip to space?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Marcus, fearing the worst, checks the cryosystem and finds that it is working perfectly fine, though he can imagine some improvements and tweaks he'd like to give Houston so it's not as jarring next time.

Raige begins typing on two different panels at once and notices a video message pops up.

quote:

Hello, this is General Bradley Harris. I have left this message with you because our communications array is going to be shut down and we will not be able to dedicate any time to the Mars Noden 2.

Things have changed considerably down here. We are under a biological attack that we still do not understand. We are encountering severe issues with all forms of infrastructure. Basic and fundamental rules of nature are simply not holding and we do not understand what we are encountering as of yet, also in large part to this broken information infrastructure.

This includes flight and runways. Unfortunately this necessitates a water landing.

We're currently estimating about 250 to 300 million deaths in the nation alone. We had radio silence overseas and our feelers currently tell us they're no better. We reccomend you land near a large city, near the coast.

Houston, New Orleans, Washington DC, Boston, San Diego, New York, San Francisco, Charleston, Miami, Portland, Jacksonville, or Los Angeles are all prime locations. Be ready to be mobile once you land. Unfortunately I have no other information at this time. I...I wish I had better news.

There is a yellow emergency box in the roof panels of your communications room. Use it. We can give you more information about what has happened if we meet up with you, but right now your focus needs to be on landing. Land parallel to the coast. Your ship is buoyant enough and sealed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

As the playback ended, the cabin was filled with stunned silence.

"Holy poo poo." Tom exclaims.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"I second that motion, what the gently caress?"

Biological attacks and fundamental laws of nature breaking down? Nick is out of his depth and sinking rapidly. He's also poo poo-scared for his family--he's pretty sure 300 million people is most of the US population, and he doesn't want to think about the odds that everyone he actually cares about is still alive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"We need to figure out where to go from here. As far as I can tell, the ship is in good shape, and we can make a water landing anywhere, but I think we should try for Houston. Being a local, I know the area very well, and I'd feel safer landing in a protected bay like Galveston rather than on the coast.

What are your thoughts?"

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Dr. Wren Meadows

Character sheet here.

Wren sucked in a breath like she was drowning, and for a moment, she thought she was. Then the chill and awful taste of cryogenic sleep came to her. She remembered where she was and what she had come here to do. She stumbled to the lockers, gulping down as much water as she could before sitting in one of the chairs around the center console. She listened to the message and kept her face as stoic as she possibly could.

"Listen, everyone, there is no need to panic. We've been given what we need to get out of this." She wobbled over to her locker again, pulling out her binder filled with the psych profiles of everyone on board. "When everyone gets a moment, I'd like to talk to each of you privately to make sure everyone's safe and sound." She smiled her 'I'm a doctor, you can trust me' smile.

Wren wants to read through the psych files to get an idea of how everyone might react to catastrophic news. She has Medicine (Psychiatry) 3 and Empathy 3.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"Yeah guys, we don't have enough info one way or another, so we should probably...probably just try not to think about it until after we land.

As for where, I'm with Raige. The Gulf is protected, and most of us have been living and working in Houston for the last while."

I assume most of us worked on the project in the same facility/are local.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus's eyes widen as he takes in the chilling message.

"That's a near ninety percent mortality rate, it would take something on the level of a bio-engineered strain of Ebola to inflict such casualties." He shudders. "Raige, can you communicate with anyone Earthside? Try some of the major population centers, maybe we can get some news broadcasts or something. I need some data to work with so I know just what we'll be dealing with when we land. I might be able to whip up a preventive vaccine before we land."

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 28, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Dr. Wren

Tom seems to be the calmest of the bunch. Everyone else is a bit shakier, yourself included.

Thomas

That's up to you all, not a requirement.

Marcus

Raige is capable, but he would need to name some places he wants to scan.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"Uh, actually, I'm pretty much from New York. First time I ever went to Houston was for that training session before takeoff." In Thomas's defense, Nick still sounds like backwoods Wyoming, especially under stress.

"I'm not going to argue with the pilot about landing sites, though. Houston's fine with me." Partly because going to one of the most densely populated cities in the US during an outbreak of Super Ebola or whatever sounds like a terrible movie plot, and partly because he can keep telling himself that his wife is definitely fine, no need to worry.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

Yeah Doc, we can worry about the psych stuff later, believe you and me, I want to make sure this boat isn't our tomb before we start talking about how I'm feeling. As for the rest of you, like I said, its in my opinion that we land at Houston, however I am open to suggestions. I was thinking more in terms of the medical facilities available there rather than the other coastal options available. Hopefully with those medical facilities, we can find a greater population intact. Plus its Texas, people are more willing to help those in need in Texas than any other place I've ever been.

As for the other options I don't know any of the other coastal areas, but here is what I have to think about each:

New Orleans - as its a city below sea level, if there has truly been anarchy, the pumps will have stopped working and the majority of the city will most likely be flooded. Transportation in and out is also only available by a single highway.

Washington DC - This would be my second choice, so we can try and get in touch with military or civilian government assets that can help us along the way. However this city has one of the highest crime rates in the country, and I don't think it'd be a good idea to land in the middle of that. However, Fort Detrick would be a huge benefit.

Boston/Portland - I don't really know much about these cities. It might be a good idea if the epidemic is effected by environmental factors, such as cold, but the weather in Boston is so problematic, we might not be able to land there.

San Diego/Charleston/San Francisco - Landing near the coast for all of these locations will be tricky, as it gets really shallow in odd places. I'd like to have better maps of sea channels before attempting landings. These are, however, probably the closest major metropolitan area with the smallest population, if we need to worry about that.

New York/Los Angeles - I don't really know the channels for sea landings at either city, nor would I feel safe landing in one of the largest, densest populated areas in the world.

Miami/Jacksonville - These two cities are possibilities, but I'm not fond of being stuck in either city with limited means of escape."

"As for the communications, there are a few encrypted comms still active, lets see if we can pinpoint their locations."

Computers (4) + Int (3) = 7

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"I'm putting my faith in our pilot here."
he turns to Raige, "Wherever you think gives us the best chances, or if we get a message from someone, you have my vote."

With that, Tom turns and maneuvers to the communication shack to get the emergency kit that was mentioned in their message.

Tom powers on his ePad to make a list of their supplies.

There's not a whole lot I can do to help since I'm just barely above a passenger on this thing. I figure getting an inventory of our supplies is a good move until we can find out more.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Houston is completely dead with radio silence.

Los Angeles, New York, Washington DC, Miami, Jacksonville, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans, Corpus, San Francisco, Norfolk, and Boston all have active signals, though it takes you a great deal of work to make them audible. Other cities away from the coast have signals as well, but you are about to land*

You were able to successfully listen to three. Which three will you choose?

mugrim fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Hmmmm, let's see what kind of radio traffic we can get from Washington DC, Charleston, and Atlanta"

Looks like you cut yourself off there, so I'm going to assume you meant to put Atlanta there. If not, let's do NY

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

"If I may interject, might I suggest landing near Charleston? From there its only about a five hour drive to Atlanta and the CDC Headquarters therein. If this really is an outbreak of some sort that might be the safest place for us."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Washington DC

Raige begins a complicated array of tasks that dizzy most of the room, trying to clean up and make sense of the signal out of DC first.

SHHhhhhHHHSHccHHKCKSHHHHHHH
Man1: Rodg is not coming back.
Woman1: What about the runners?
Man1: They're not making it either.
Man2: We can't keep losing people like this.
Woman1: The order is growing and we can't outpace them. We need to centralize to defend ourselves.
Man1: Centralization also leaves us vulnerable to swarming.
Woman1: Make the run, lets mall move towards Pittsburgh for consolidation. The bridge is holding at the moment.
Man2: Sounds like a plan.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Charleston

SHccHHKCKSHHHkclHSHHhhhhHHHSHccHHK

Man1: Johnny, I'm telling you, come down here.
Johnny: I'm tired of the bullshit over there.
Man1: Yeah but the killing is good, it's thick
Johnny: I don't know...
Man1: We have friends here and the ground does not move. The stars fall a little brighter over here but I've been speaking with them, trading with them.
Johnny: What?! Why would you even allow yourself to-
Man1: You can't just be lesser anymore. You will be owned, at least go with immortality.
Johnny: I...you're my only brother.
Man1: It doesn't have to be this way. I've seen things you wouldn't believe. The headless, alive and stronger than ever. I've seen languages glittering in the dark, feelings made of light.
Johnny: What the gently caress have they done to you?
Man1: Nothing, I merely listened.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Atlanta

SHccHHKCKSHHHkclHSHHhhhhHHHSHccHHK

Woman1: We can't go to Charleston, it's overrun.
Man1: Define overrun.
Woman1: It was run over. I did not see it, just the craters.
Man2: Well that's scrapped.
Woman2: We still have other options. Houston's roads are useless but it could still work. It's just so close to the water...
Woman1: And the hooded eye is rampant there, and their followers are getting harder to follow, and harder to spot. They've begun making these holes...we don't know what they are, or why they're there.
Man1: Houston has some boat traffic, but it's hard to trust anyone out at sea for any length of time. I've also got a confession, I have the black veins. I think it was the generators we were growing. I don't know how long I have.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Wren Meadows
Wren has alway prided herself on being professional and holding her composure, but the messages she hears are rattling her. "That's... not a good sign. Assuming it is a biological weapon like we were told..." She hesitates, places her hand to her lips, thinking.

"Hooded eye... Feelings made of light, voices in the dark... it sounds like we're not only facing biological problems, bu the stress of such a massive attack has caused severe mental breaks as well." She takes a deep shuddering breath, and then shakes herself. She pulls out her ePad and begin typing notes. "I think we should make sure to note any symptoms, for... for when we land. Ounce of prevention and all that."

She types in the following into her notes:
*Black veins (sepsis?)
*Audio hallucinations
*Possible synthesia

Until otherwise noted, Wren will try to keep a running tally of any symptoms.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 29, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Docs, any idea what kind of disease we'll be facing when we land? Some of this radio traffic should help get a clearer understanding of the epidemic, right?

As for where to land, let's see what kind of weather data we can pull from the satellites, that might help us make a determination on where to go.

Fang, jump up here and let's see what kind of traffic we can get from the sats in orbit."

Another computer roll for any active satellites in orbit that respond.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas
What did I find in the emergency supplies?

Tom has been listening in over the ship's comms to the transmissions being intercepted.

He pauses his work, takes a moment to compose himself, and makes his way to the control center to speak with the group.

"It sounds like waterways are really dangerous for some reason, and Houston got hit really hard so we probably shouldn't land there."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Wren Meadows
Wren pauses in her typing and nods. "Seconded. It sounds like it might be a water born pathogen. Unfortunately, without further evidence, I cannot even begin to make a guess at what we'll be facing. Is there any way we could have multiple communication lines up? If I can listen of people describing symptoms, I may have a better chance."

Wren's fingers continue to tap at her ePad as she thought. She knew she should involve Dr. Kinkaid in this, but unless he asked, she was going to see if she couldn't figure this out herself. She still hadn't given up hope that their superiors might still recognize any sort of accomplishments she made, once all this mess was over. On the other hand... if she did involve Kinkaid, then he may consider her a friend, and she could use that. She smiled as sweetly as she could, given the circumstances. "Dr. Kinkaid, any ideas? I'm afraid my expertise lies in psychiatric medicine, so I'm a little rusty."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Emergency Supplies: 200 feet of high stress contracting rope, 20'x1' foot of 'perfect seal' tape, 25,000 calorie bar, Water purification tablets for 100 gallons, 5 utility knives, wireless compact screwdriver, welding paste

Raige is unable to find any more satellites that he can decrypt. Being the right minded and bright young man that he is, he gets some visuals. About 80-90% of satellites are off base, pointed with solar panels away from the sun, giving off intermittent signals, visible damage to the outside, etc.

Time is running short, Raige is going to need to pick an area for reentry.

You can pick now, or pick a new city to try and pick up. The shuttle is beginning to fall right where it's supposed to, and each 'turn' spent picking up more info may make a rougher and riskier landing wherever you eventually choose. However, you may not have another opportunity like this again.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"Charleston also sounds pretty bad off, and DC is heading out to Pittsburgh, which isn't an option for landing unless you want to aim for Lake Erie or something. I kind of vote for wherever we can get closest to the shoreline the fastest, especially if this is waterborne."

He pauses, then says, "...Also, are we worried about hitting boats coming down?" It would really, really suck to get this far and then crash into an oil tanker or whatever, so if Houston is the only place with waterfront activity, that might move it farther down on the list of possibilities.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom spends a second thinking, then he pipes back up.
"I think DC might be our best bet. There's probably info on what happened for both the Docs on what this is, and if we can find a car or something, Atlanta isn't too far...right?

I-I'm not sure, Raige, you're our pilot. Like I said, I trust you, so ultimately the choice is gonna be wherever you can land us."

Tom's gut was churning as he turned to one of the consoles to continue pinging sattelites for Raige.

He'd only wanted to do something important, to be remembered, and now the team was looking to him like he was some kind of leader? Like he knew what to do? It's laughable, just ten years ago he'd been a drug addled fuckup trolling D-Lister parties.

He just hoped he could repay the faith they seemed to have in him.

5 dice (Int 3 + Comp 2) pool for computers.
I think landing is gonna be hard enough without tempting fate by pushing the re-entry. So I vote DC ASAP.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"We don't have enough time to do another orbit, it looks like we're already entering our glide descent for the northern hemisphere, lets see if we can land somewhere near the Potomac and get to land quickly, from a cursory look, Maryland seems to have the clearest weather, and I know there shouldn't be any boat traffic that close to the capital.

Fang, sit here will you?" Raige motions to the Co-pilots seat. "There are two dials here, Altitude and Airspeed. Let me know what they are when I ask."

"Everyone strap in, this'll get bumpy."

Landing at DC, Dex 4 + Drive 5 + Spec Flying = 11

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas
"Whoa...poo poo...um...ok...yeah."

Tom takes the co-pilot seat, straining to remember anything from the one time they let him try the simulator.

ready to help, but not sure if I'm rolling or what.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus remains quiet for what seems to be an eternity, carefully considering each of the scattered radio transmissions. He tries to not let it show too much on his face, but he is deeply disturbed by what snippets of earthside communication Raige manages to access.

"Honestly Dr. Meadows, without a chance to put eyes on the pathogen or its effects any hypothesis I could put forward would be sketchy at best." He frowns, deep in thought. "That being said, it sounds like this unknown pathogen might be artificially engineered. I'm not aware of any single natural virus, bacteria, or disease that could cause something like the schizophrenic-ish symptoms that the speaker from Charleston displayed, while simultaneously killing ninety percent of our country's population.."

"All I can say for certain is that I'll need access to a lab when we land, and don't drink the water."

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 29, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Phone post: just to be clear, you can land anywhere. Just because the last game was in DC does not mean this one has to be.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

Before he straps himself into the safety harness, Nick grabs his digital recorder out from the rest of his personal effects, then switches it on. He had originally intended to get some audio recordings to use as sound effects, and even if the people paying him are probably dead, might as well do his job anyway.

That done and seatbelt buckled, he settles in to wait for the landing, tapping a nervous rhythm out on the edge of his seat.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Wren Meadows
Wren snaps herself in, and braces for impact. Her mind was racing: what were they facing here? Are the people who hired her still alive? If not, what should she be shooting for? She closes her eyes and waits.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The Drop

Re-entry is...bumpy.

Raige cackles like a field as he drops the shuttle down. A nuclear reactor encased by composites and rivets and electronics dives through the stratosphere, pulling a red and blue tail behind him.

It's odd as you fall. It's dark all around and you see so few lights.

The Mars Noden 2 drops into the ocean a few hundred feet before flinging itself right back up through the water and skimming the shore a few hundred miles. Three massive parachutes lie behind the ship and it floats for a few hours before you see a coast.

The closest shore you see seems to have some homes and a hotel. In the distance you see multiple VERY large smoke stacks. Nothing is moving. Cars are abandoned. Homes look like they have not been lived in. The shuttle slowly makes it's way to the shore and finds a comfortable bank to become stuck on.

On the shore there is a man nailed to an out of place telephone pole, his skin peeled back looking like a dried bat, a wide smile is crossed on his face. His intestines almost make it to the ground.

It's 4:23pm.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom doesn't remember screaming. Re-entry was what he'd always imagined a plane crash would be like...but it was scarier and took a lot longer.

As soon as the ship ran aground, Tom was up, gathering supplies and divvying them out into packs for each crew member.

He stands up on shaky legs and just barely manages not to be sick.

Later, outside, he sees and smells the corpse on the pole, and he suddenly can't hold it together and gets violently sick on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"She's a good ship, handles like a brick but thats to be expected." Raige lumbers up the ladder with ease and assist the others with exiting through the top hatch and onto the fuselage. "Lets lock all the access hatches, hopefully she won't stay on this beach for too long..." He says as he takes in the view of the surrounding beach.

"This looks like Virginia Beach, I'd wager. Sure doesn't look like anyone is arou..." Raige catches sight of the flayed man on the telephone pole. Turning towards Dr. Meadows he quietly asks, "Looks like we're not the ones in need of some psychotherapy, Doc. What do you make of that?"

• Locked thread