Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

Still staring at the hole and trying to piece together last night, Raige turns to the two medical professionals on the team.

"Docs, is there any way this virus could be messing with our heads? Do you think it could have made us imagine all of the poo poo we saw last night? How do we even test for that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Marcus

Marcus ponders Raige's question for a moment before shaking his head. "I sincerely doubt it. Visual and auditory hallucinations are not uncommon symptoms of diseases or poisons that affect our nervous system." He sweeps his arm across the now hole-besotted field. "But here, here we either have physical evidence that we are not crazy or we are all experiencing a shared, highly detailed multi-sensory delusion. While the former is difficult to explain, the latter is highly unlikely at best. Especially given the fact that we all have dissimilar brain chemistry and would thus likely have widely varied neurological symptoms."

He shrugs. "But then again, the entire American continent seems to have descended into the pit of hell so who's to say really. If there are concrete answers to be had here, they'll have to come from anyone that's lived through this whole mess, sanity intact."

"Lets take a quick look around, see if we can find anything else before heading out."

Still going to scavenge. Wits + survival works there as well, may as burn a wp for 9 dice.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Bump.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Marcus searches around to find what he can scavenge. The most useful thing seems to be a working hummer. It has a gun mounted to the back, but the gun seems to have been cut in half somehow. There are still boxes of ammunition in it though, they seem to be .50

There is a guard tower that is relatively high and could provide a vantage point, or you could investigate the holes, move on, or option d (whatever you want).

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

Visibly shaken by the holes, the trauma, and the events of the last night, Raige looks up into the sky as Marcus finds his bullets. As he looks up, something catches Raige's eyes. A glimmer off of a window.

"Look, a guard tower over there!" Raige points to the tower in the distance. "Lets go see if we can get a vantage point of the surrounding areas and try to find some sort of reason for this madness. Maybe we can find other destrampados that won't want to kill us."

Looking at the others, Raige starts heading towards the tower, not even bothering to draw his weapon.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas
"Uh...Don't you think it might be a better idea if we load up the hummer first, park it at the base of that tower and then check things out? I mean, if you see trouble coming you can climb down and we can be gone in like 10 seconds." Tom pipes up as he watches Raige's back.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

"If we start that engine, we may as light a bonfire. Look around!" Marcus gestures to the surrounding devastation. "Right now whatever was here is gone. If we fire up a diesel V8, well that engine roar is load enough to carry a ways. Maybe even far enough to let our subterranean neighbors know we're still around."

"Packing up the vehicle is not a bad idea, but I'd say that we wait to start the Humvee until we at least find another one of these babies." He smirks as he pats the broken barrel of the .50 cal. "Not only do we need weaponry, but without food or water we're not going to make it every far in any direction."

He looks back at Raige ascending the tower. "While you're up there, keep an eye out for any Humvees that might have salvageable parts."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Getting a good vantage point, Raige enjoys the sunrise from above. In the distance towards DC he sees steady stacks of smoke towards the city to the North.

A larger vessel seems to be moving in the water. It's hard to tell what it is, but it's huge.

A handy pair of binoculars hanging from the rail let you see a bit better. There's nothing around the base that seems all that useful, though you've yet to go inside the barracks.

Something very large flies miles away, barely visible.

You hear howling.

You notice a dark vine of sorts covering part of the tower. While appearing to be similar to any other, it's lines are perfectly straight and without curves. It is seemingly flat and runs down the side.

You look through one last time, and in the distance see what appears to be a school with a sign on it. "Survivors Wanted".

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

Shimmying down the guard tower and back towards the others, he reports what he saw from above, still clutching the binoculars in his hands.

Add item: Binoculars

"I think we should head towards the school, seems to be the closest thing that we can investigate, unless you want to take a peek in the barracks. I'm not sure what we can do about the vessel. It didn't seem to be an aircraft carrier, maybe an oil tanker or something."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"Yeah, that makes sense, if we can find more survivors who aren't hosed up crazy, we can group up." Tom loads his pack and the other things they've scavenged into the hummer, giving it a look over to make sure it's in good order.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus nods. "Checking out that school seems like a good idea, but I do think we should check out the barracks first. If I were someone that preyed upon desperate and downtrodden survivors, well a sign like that would make a pretty good trap. I don't want to walk into a possible ambush without any means of defending myself."

He casts a glare at the broken .50 cal and spits angrily on the dry, dusty ground. "Given that this fuckin' thing is useless and there's no replacements in sight, hell maybe god or whatever cosmic being that happens to being currently loving with us will lay off and lets us find some goddamn ammunition or a working firearm."

"Lets get this thing packed up and get it out."

Once the vehicle is g2g, Marcus will head over to the barracks to look for some loot.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

bump

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Tom is standing next to the Hummer, waiting for you guys and "guarding" the truck. And by guarding I mean he is currently too chicken-poo poo/paranoid to leave their ride behind

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 17, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You hop in the hummer and begin moving yourself inland. You notice the streets are surprisingly clean, metal seems almost waxed and buffed. There is something increasingly eerie as you go further.

You see a large nude man walking down the street. He's not coming directly at you but he is walking in your direction.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Uhhh, is anyone else seeing this? What do I do? Pull over? Keep driving by?"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Marcus

Marcus squnits and tries to get a better look at the man walking down the street. "Get a little closer," he says warily. "It might be another one of those things, but it could be someone who's survived this whole mess and desperately needs help."

"Just be ready to gun it if he tries anything."

Hey Mugrim, what did I find in the barracks? I said that I was going to search them before we left.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"Yeah, he might need help, but we should be ready to run."

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

Unexpectedly, Nick speaks up from the backseat. "If the guy needs help, he'll flag us down. It's not like we're being subtle, here. I say we keep going until the dude tries to get us to stop without turning into some kind of goddamn loving murder zombie thing like the last three times."

Nick has finally checked back in from whatever fugue state the events of the last 12 hours put him in. To be fair, literally nothing in his entire life had ever prepared him for even a fraction of the gigantic catastrophe that is now apparently his life-- he's an artist, man, it's not like he has any kind of survival training besides "punch it in the face real good." He's managed to scrape up enough wherewithal to start interacting with society in a productive fashion again (read: not sitting in a corner staring into space), but he's on kind of a hair trigger. God help him if he finds out any kind of bad news about New York.

((once again, sorry for disappearing into thin air, shouldn't happen again.))

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

out for a month, long story.

The barracks were bone dry, nothing inside.

The nude man sees you. He is emaciated with a long beard, his eyes have a milky nature about them that frightens you. He doesn't look strong enough to do anything but he looks in your general direction and tries to move towards you. His mouth opens but nothing comes out.

You can drive by easily or stop and speak with him. Your call.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

The milky eyes and the general zombie-ness of the old man serve as evidence enough.
"uh, gently caress it guys, he's a monster. We gotta keep going." I'm white knuckle gripping my sword as I say it, keeping my eyes fixed on the old man/zombie/thing.

No worries, glad you're back!

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"I realize this is completely the opposite of that thing I said like 10 seconds ago, but creepy eyes do not a zombie make. Though they are creepy. Maybe he's just blind?" Nick pauses, considering, and adds, "Uh. Blind and mute. Since he's not, you know, talking. Maybe we should crack a window, see if we can get him to wave at us or something?"

The fact that the white-eye naked dude didn't immediately try to murderize them has given Nick a (probably false) sense of security about the guy not eventually trying to murderize them. He's willing to give the guy another chance to respond, although if he gets within arm's reach of the car without some sign of non-zombie intelligence, Nick's vote is going to rapidly switch to "get the hell out of Dodge."

((Good to have you back, good to be back.))

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

He makes his way to the vehicle, his lips are cracked and split all over. His knees look like they'll give at any moment.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Driving down the road you see the smokestacks in the distance, the fog is thinner this morning. You do not know their origin or cause. The sky is brilliant, but off blue light bounces around.

You look in the mirror and see the thin man collapse on the ground.

While driving away you pass by several schools that look like they were bombed, only indicated by the signs in front of them.

You approach a crossroads with a shopping center. There are cars parked out front, noticeably missing the layers of dust and rubble that cover most you've seen thus far. Their vehicles seem covered with bulletholes and mounted weapons. A road North is untouched but the westward road you've been taking is barricaded.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"So I vote we head towards the smokestacks. I'm not liking being out here alone with those... those...." Raige points towards the way they came, indicating the man that fell down. "Whatever the hell those things were. We need some real civilization like..."

As they approach the shopping center and the weapons mounted cars, Raige turns silent.

"I don't like the looks of this. What do we do now? Go on or see if they'll shoot us?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The cars are currently unmanned as far as you can tell.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

Tom's hands are shaking so hard the sword's rattling against his arm rest.
"I'm with Raige, I say we keep going and get the gently caress as far from the city as we can, don't stop unless we have to."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You slow down and hum by the shopping mall, though doing so requires going towards the city. You drive past, making sure to look for exits but all you find are blocked roads or gated communities. As you go along farther you see a highway in the distance. Your street intersects with it. The roads there look fairly clear, but you get an unsettling sense that something is waiting for you there. Despite your best observations, you see no one around though your view is hindered by the heavy air. Something moves in the distance at the offramp.

Whatever it is, it's big.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"What the hell is that? Suddenly I'm not happy we missed taking one of those armed cars, maybe we should go back and see if we can sneak one out of the shopping center before anyone inside notices?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"Aw gently caress man, you're right and all, but fuuuuuck maaaaan!" Tom's head moves like it's on a swivel, he's trying to see in every direction at once.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"As loving stupid as going backwards sounds, those gun cars might actually be a good idea. They looked pretty well kept to everybody else, right?" Usually Nick would be saying to just gently caress it and go, but the Giant Scary Whateverthefuck is making a good argument to the contrary. The cars didn't look abandoned, so they might even get lucky and run into some people that don't want to kill them!

As they head wherever, Nick keeps an eye out for anything coming up on them from behind or the side, especially if they head back toward the mall. Nervously, he tightens his grip on the straps of his bag.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Okay, we'll go back, and hey, if they are someone's cars, maybe they'll help us. Right?"

Turning the van around, Raige drives back to the shopping center, slows down to a crawl as they get near and attempts to approach the cars as quietly as possible.

If you need me to do a drive check, its 9 Dice, Diff 5

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Fog blooms and ash rains the further you go to get to the shopping mall. You arrive slow and steady, as far as you can tell, no one is around.
You feel the ground vibrate all around. You feel a muscle spasm jolt through your whole body in a heartbeat. It's followed by the Hummer creaking it's suspension. You notice the same thing happens in all the other vehicles too. The ground is shaking, possibly a tremor. Off in the distance towards the Ocean, you can barely make out through the fog a black cloud rolling over.

The vehicles crunch in a metallic cacophony as buildings follow. It is quite loud at the moment, you can make a lot of noise without probably being noticed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"gently caress poo poo, it's that giant thing again! The one from last night!" I hiss at everyone, ducking my head down (like that'll do anything).

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You notice that the cloud gets larger than last time. The entire sky becomes blotted out, almost no light comes through other than some faint slivers towards the horizon.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Raige Riguez

"Fuuuuuck. What do we do? What do we do? Is there someplace nearby that isn't now a giant cratered hole in the earth? Anybody see anything?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"M-maybe we can hide under the truck?" Thomas realizes he sounds like an idiot the second the words leave his mouth.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

It passes over and you see ripples from above. A mass too large to estimate plops down feet from your hummer and overlapping the entire mall, sending you flying into the air a. The mass pulls up almost as quickly as it falls down, and you see almost one full block crushed into a neat circular dimple of rubble. Maybe 300 yards squared. A thick cloud of crushed cement comes over you.

You go to move, looking over and taking it all in.

Nothing happens.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas

"Holy gently caress. What the gently caress, did we almost just get stepped on by loving invisible Godzilla?!" Nick throws his hands in the air in terrified exasperation, completely done with this poo poo. Zombies he can rationalize, but something just violated basic square-cube laws right in front of him, meaning that reality has taken a sudden turn right into lovely movie-ville.

"You know what? gently caress it, everybody get in the gun car. We are leaving, and we are driving until everything makes goddamn sense." The mall is dead, so they might as well take the vehicle with the best armor they can find and get somewhere safer, or at least not populated by fog Godzilla. Nick tries to figure out which of the armored cars is in the best condition, but it's not like he knows anything about auto maintenance, so outside assistance would be appreciated.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thomas

"Seconded!" I respond, not waiting for a response, I check my pistol in my waistband, and renew my grip on the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You load up and drive in the only direction available - North. You get back to that bridge and find that there is nothing there. You notice a thick black painted sign on the highway. "LIVING INSIDE WHITE HOUSE" and another that has a picture with an arrow pointing towards Norfolk. The picture appears to be three pointed symbol like a blunt star, with each point curling into hooks.

Where to?

• Locked thread