Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TubeStank posted:

So what does the league do in this situation? Ideally he'd not be the owner of the team anymore, but they couldn't just buy the team away from him or force him to resign, could they? This is one hell of an awful situation and is also the epitome of gently caress That Guy, but I have no idea what the league can an cannot do here.

They can buy all the season tickets and give them to black kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how Sterling could be dating a person who is black/hispanic, field a team full of black players, encourage his girlfriend to have sex with Magic Johnson, etc., but then I realized he is a crazy old piece of poo poo racist and I just wasted 10 minutes trying to solve an unsolvable person.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how Sterling could be dating a person who is black/hispanic, field a team full of black players, encourage his girlfriend to have sex with Magic Johnson, etc., but then I realized he is a crazy old piece of poo poo racist and I just wasted 10 minutes trying to solve an unsolvable person.

Unrelated but that av makes me so happy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MassaShowtime posted:

They can buy all the season tickets and give them to black kids.

That is what sterling does and why he is getting the NAACP award. He does give a ton to the poor community, but it's pretty classic dissonance. He doesn't think he's racist because he gives so much away to the African American community, so therefore this stuff he says is just regular things and totally not racist.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Unrelated but that av makes me so happy.

When it came time to get an av, there was really only one option.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

TubeStank posted:

So what does the league do in this situation? Ideally he'd not be the owner of the team anymore, but they couldn't just buy the team away from him or force him to resign, could they? This is one hell of an awful situation and is also the epitome of gently caress That Guy, but I have no idea what the league can an cannot do here.

They're stuck, sad as it sounds. They can't force him to sell, otherwise Stern would have done it decades ago. Normally they would remove him from any committees that Sterling was on to rid his influence on the league, but Sterling's been persona non grata around those meetings for years. You can't have the league get together and make him an offer he can't refuse, because he's refused several of those already. The problem is that Sterling's been a known racist shithead for so long that anything you can do to him has already been done.

The best-case scenario is what happened with Marge Schott: Sterling is prohibited by the league from engaging in the day-to-day activities of his team and it gets passed onto his son-in-law. Sterling would remain the owner and continue to wildly profit, but he would have no role other than writing/cashing checks. The issue is that Schott had to agree to such a suspension and there's no indication that Sterling would agree to such a thing, and to force him could result in Sterling taking legal action and the whole issue gets blown the gently caress up.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Still breathlessly awaiting the Skip Bayless take.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

MassaShowtime posted:

lmao the dude lost a court case about kicking out minorities from his slum housing
Yeah but that was Asians so the NAACP doesn't recognize that :colbert:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The Asian Oprah posted:

Still breathlessly awaiting the Skip Bayless take.

Bayless is more the harmlessly stupid type, isn't he? I bet Colin Cowherd drops a true gem here.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Here is Michael McCann's Actual Legal Analysis regarding what the NBA can do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140426/donald-sterling-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/

Basically they're stuck unless they want to create a pretty bad precedent. The other owners will always look out for number one.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's a good summary, but I disagree with this:

quote:

Also, federal and state civil rights laws prohibit privately owned businesses that offer entertainment from discriminating on the basis of race.

At this point, there is no reason to believe that the Clippers as a team discriminate on the basis of race.

It is pretty apparent he is running this team like a plantation and the players as slaves.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

C. Everett Koop posted:

The best-case scenario is what happened with Marge Schott: Sterling is prohibited by the league from engaging in the day-to-day activities of his team and it gets passed onto his son-in-law. Sterling would remain the owner and continue to wildly profit, but he would have no role other than writing/cashing checks. The issue is that Schott had to agree to such a suspension and there's no indication that Sterling would agree to such a thing, and to force him could result in Sterling taking legal action and the whole issue gets blown the gently caress up.

Schott was also under pressure from the rest of the ownership group, who were ultimately going to force her out when she stepped down to save face.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Philthy posted:

It is pretty apparent he is running this team like a plantation and the players as slaves.

How so? The players have all been paid market wages and I see no preponderance of evidence to suggest race was a factor in any hiring decisions. They made a huge attempt to recruit an African American head coach and pay him very well. I think most of the business has not been discriminatory, but mostly because I don't think Sterling has had a lot to do with the business.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Philthy posted:

Yes this is just like slavery.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Philthy posted:

I don't think you know what slave means.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Philthy posted:

What? The guy is a racist retard, but come on now. Slaves don't get paid millions of dollars or have the freedom to quit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

flying leaps of logic in the name of outrage for e-points

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Philthy posted:

Hey I think capitalism is slavery as much as the next fellow but I think others might find your analogy a little lacking here

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's me. I'm the most outraged. Come at me, thread.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Also that plantation comment was made as part of a lawsuit (go figure) that Elgin Baylor was filing for discrimination so it was in his interest to make the Clippers sound horrid

Not saying they aren't, but Mr. Baylor was probably being hyperbolic and not accidentally touching on the truth of sports drafts

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh you think he's just a racist shithead??? Well I think he is THE WORST PERSON WHO HAS EVER LIVED! And YOU are racist for not thinking that too! Take that! I care the most about racism. I am the most enlightened person on all the internet.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Haven't we already known Sterling was a racist shithead for years now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Haven't we already known Sterling was a racist shithead for years now
Yeah that's why Doc Rivers looks like a dumby dumbis

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

Oh you think he's just a racist shithead??? Well I think he is THE WORST PERSON WHO HAS EVER LIVED! And YOU are racist for not thinking that too! Take that! I care the most about racism. I am the most enlightened person on all the internet.

Pfft. I think HE'S THE WORST PERSON WHO WILL EVER EXIST IN THIS UNIVERSE OR OTHERS

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Clippers warmups don't have Clipper logos on them.

Great show of solidarity there guys. :rolleyes:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

At the least the Bulls showed solidarity by not showing up to their game.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Clippers warmups don't have Clipper logos on them.

Great show of solidarity there guys. :rolleyes:

Powerful stuff really

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope you're being sarcastic.

If you want to sent a message then don't loving play. If you're too much of a wuss to do that then little meaningless poo poo like this just looks like a circle jerk gesture.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

We are so completely not in their shoes that it doesn't feel right lecturing them about what they "should do." I'm sure they have a lot of conflicting emotions right now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Now that's the type of social activism I can get behind.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I hope you're being sarcastic.

If you want to sent a message then don't loving play. If you're too much of a wuss to do that then little meaningless poo poo like this just looks like a circle jerk gesture.

People are completely understating what a difficult and bizarre situation the team is in. It's very easy to grandstand anonymously about how one would act.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
my favorite line of criticism are the guys getting mad at Doc Rivers, the Clippers players, and each and every black employee/player the Clippers have ever had. Like Donald Sterling's virulent racism is more acceptable than the thought of black people working for him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm stunned that Jordan actually took a stand on anything other than whether or not Dan Marjerly can go gently caress himself

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

soggybagel posted:

People are completely understating what a difficult and bizarre situation the team is in. It's very easy to grandstand anonymously about how one would act.

It's the same situation they were in last week. Except people on Twitter want them to boycott now.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I wonder if somehow ironically pointing out how terribly the Israelis have treated Ethiopian Jews has harmed or hurt Sterling among the other owners? Let us not forget that the owner of the Sixers literally supports Jewish settlers in Palestinian lands by funding a kung fu basketball team.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Niwrad posted:

It's the same situation they were in last week. Except people on Twitter want them to boycott now.

I too don't think anyone should mind if the man who pays their bills goes on a 15 minute racist rant for the ages. Donald could've gotten away with it too if not for these meddling tweets!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
As an anonymous person, I think it would have been great if they could have gotten Golden State to agree to not play the game, unless Sterling agreed to step away from the team. Or maybe they could have played the game without the Clippers logo or name on anything. Maybe wear some jerseys that say The Los Angeles African Americans.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
The courage to wear your warmups inside out...my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Yeah, I doubt the NBPA would back up a full blown team boycott in the middle of the playoffs, regardless of the fact that Chris Paul is its current president.

• Locked thread