Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Because Steve Ballmer is paying a ridiculous $2B sum for a team because of it's location and publicly acknowledging his actions with anyone who interviews him. It's not at all like Clay Bennett. If he wanted to pay $2B for a team in Seattle he would have paid $2B for the Kings.

Balmer has made attempts to move teams before and the Clippers seem easy to move except for being expensive. Mostly, hypotheticals are fun to talk about. I agree, its really unlikely he'd move but it's kinda fun to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Politicalrancor posted:

I feel like San Diego is a viable option, but so is Riverside which, loving lol. I'd love it but its garbage.

There's a nice arena in Ontario . . .

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lockback posted:

Balmer has made attempts to move teams before and the Clippers seem easy to move except for being expensive. Mostly, hypotheticals are fun to talk about. I agree, its really unlikely he'd move but it's kinda fun to talk about.
They'd need an arena developer but if there's anything Ballmer can find it's developers developers developers developers

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've never lived in Seattle but the way people describe it I wouldn't want to live there if I didn't have a great job there and Ballmer no longer has that issue.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's great if you hate the sun, like all goons

But you'd have to live near Seahawks fans

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He didn't buy the Clippers for $2b to move them out of the 2nd biggest media market. If that was his plan he could have just bought the Bucks for a quarter of that price and moved them in a couple years when the new arena doesn't pass.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Rick posted:

There's a nice arena in Ontario . . .

where will the lakers play their travel pre season games then?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just worry that godforsaken hellhole Inland Empire might actually get something nice

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

where will the lakers play their travel pre season games then?

In Hawaii or the Forum where they belong.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
As a clipper fan living in san diego, I know that San Diego has zero chance of someday getting the Clips again. Our fans aren't very good at supporting teams. We hardly sell out anything. Even the chargers black out when they're decent and they play 8 games a season. The padres are a bad team with a great ballpark and the cheapest tickets in baseball and they can barely get 13,000 fans midweek...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Honestly I think this latest twist is just what it appears to be. Shelly got the lay of the land from a non-octogenarian lawyer, got the medical tests back, nodded thoughtfully, and finally put the dagger in. He'll realize it when him and his similarly fossilized buddy get dismissed and ordered to pay costs, which will happen pretty drat fast because without even a vote from the board of governors he doesn't even have much of a claim anymore. His beef is with his family trust now, not the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

thompson posted:

As a clipper fan living in san diego, I know that San Diego has zero chance of someday getting the Clips again. Our fans aren't very good at supporting teams. We hardly sell out anything. Even the chargers black out when they're decent and they play 8 games a season. The padres are a bad team with a great ballpark and the cheapest tickets in baseball and they can barely get 13,000 fans midweek...

There's no major or semi-mid corps to buy box seats. And too many transplants/retirees with money who maintain hometown allegiances and spend it in their home states; military $ and the trickle down doesn't really get spent in ways that can support anything relevant to an NBA team, too many people in town for only a few years... No basketball in SD until there's a different economy, or the NBA decides to take Mexico seriously.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Tijuana Clippers would own bones

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There's no major or semi-mid corps to buy box seats. And too many transplants/retirees with money who maintain hometown allegiances and spend it in their home states; military $ and the trickle down doesn't really get spent in ways that can support anything relevant to an NBA team, too many people in town for only a few years... No basketball in SD until there's a different economy, or the NBA decides to take Mexico seriously.
San Diego has a tiny media market, bounded by the ocean, the desert, Mexico, and LA (and its multiple pro teams), which really limits the local money you can make with a pro team - and on top of that, as you note, there's a lack of big F500 companies in SD to buy up corporate suites (let's see, there's Qualcomm and um uh...), plus most of SD's residents moved here from somewhere else and brought their loyalties with them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not to mention, who's going to build a new arena in SD? The taxpayers certainly aren't, they're struggling to agree on funding for a new Chargers stadium after footing the bill for Petco.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Put it on the bay.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Put the Clippers on a retired aircraft carrier and sail them around the coast of the Americas all season long.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

They'd need an arena developer but if there's anything Ballmer can find it's developers developers developers developers

lol this isn't getting enough love

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Put the Clippers on a retired aircraft carrier and sail them around the coast of the Americas all season long.

41 Carrier Classics? Sign me up.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Rick posted:

As long as you power the carrier with an enormous water wheel.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Just use Chris Paul tornado flops

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
So apparently V. Stiviano hates blacks too. Shocker.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Ballmer is willing to drop 2Bs because of the TV money coming in, both the league-wide and especially the local deal. He'll be looking for Dodgers money and if the current status quo remains he might get it. All of that renders arena money moot and once the current lease agreement is up he can threaten to move to Seattle unless they get their own place.

The Sonics aren't ever coming back and that breaks my heart but it's the truth.

I wouldn't say never. I don't think anyone expected the Winnipeg Jets to come back. But it's not going to be in the next five, and probably not in the next ten.

At some point the NBA will expand two more teams if all the teams remain profitable enough that relocation doesn't become an option again. They'll just take it really slow.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

He didn't buy the Clippers for $2b to move them out of the 2nd biggest media market. If that was his plan he could have just bought the Bucks for a quarter of that price and moved them in a couple years when the new arena doesn't pass.

This was from a while ago but Balmer tried to do that exact thing:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/2014/05/30/report-steve-ballmer-chris-hansen-made-bid-to-move-milwaukee-bucks-to-seattle/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That is surprisingly kind of Herb.

Shame the fanbase really doesn't care.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 2, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is surprisingly kind of Herb.

Shame the fanbase really doesn't exist.

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

Rick posted:

This is not the worst idea I ever heard.

cravius posted:

So apparently V. Stiviano hates blacks too. Shocker.

Wuht?

"They Do Stupid poo poo like buy rims"

Twat Nosferatu fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 2, 2014

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Since V doesn't own any basketball teams I don't really care what stupid opinions she has.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
uh her meal ticket is getting 2 billion dollars, you don't think she wants to get in his bad graces do you?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

shiksa posted:

uh her meal ticket is getting 2 billion dollars, you don't think she wants to get in his bad graces do you?

Hell I'm expecting her to do Kramers stand up routine just to ensure Sterling's approval.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Sterling says hosed up racist poo poo and he is the most hated man in America. Golddigger says the same thing and yall think it's somehow defensible because she's leeching off his wealth and must maintain her "income stream"?

Lugnut Seatcushion fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

cravius posted:

Sterling says hosed up racist poo poo and he is the most hated man in America. Golddigger says the same thing and yall think it's somehow defensible because she's leeching off his wealth and must maintain her "income stream"?

Take a deep breath and think it through. This is an ad hominem attack on the source of this information. No one is condoning hers or Sterling's racism. People are only pointing out that Sterling's is a bit more deplorable. (Although hers is almost surreal.) Any attack on her being a bigot is 100% totally irrelevant and is actually just trying to undermine the notion that Sterling is a bigot by undermining the source.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
You're right cravius, V Stiviano should be forced to sell her NBA team

No but for real if you can't see how a mixed-race person saying racist poo poo against her own race is more worthy of empathy than an ultra-rich white guy then what's even going on inside your mind

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Mornacale posted:

Heck, she should be prevented from ever buying a sports team. Not even an Arena Football team. She is literally worse than Gene Simmons.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Mornacale posted:

No but for real if you can't see how a mixed-race person saying racist poo poo against her own race is more worthy of empathy than an ultra-rich white guy then what's even going on inside your mind

So basically she gets a pass

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BIZORT posted:

So basically she gets a pass

More like she's not important enough to matter. If some random person says racist stuff, sure that's bad, but it doesn't have anything to do with Donald Sterling.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

prefect posted:

More like she's not important enough to matter. If some random person says racist stuff, sure that's bad, but it doesn't have anything to do with Donald Sterling.

I understand that but that's not the way he was going. White male says x and it's deplorable. Someone else says x and we should feel empathy for her.

Maybe assholes say stupid poo poo

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BIZORT posted:

Maybe assholes say stupid poo poo

:ironicat:

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I'm not white so start a charity for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I just don't care enough about her to be mad

• Locked thread