Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So a while back I ran an obscure little game called Mercenary Air Squadron pretty much entirely because I'm a huge sperg who likes planes and Ace Combat. It was popular albeit short-lived (the previous two facts are related), but I also like tanks, and there's nothing that really does tanks. So a few nights ago I was bullshitting in IRC with fellow sperg Davin Valkri* about how I had a few ideas for running a tanks game. People showed signs of encouragement, and basically I ended up putting a ton of :words: down in Google Docs. The result is Through Mud And Blood (working title), a game where you are legionnaires of fortune, stomping things into poo poo with your tank and a few good men.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oxqA5-xyGdGRiERgpufKMfdvXepVhsBx0XXBFcSS0Og

As far as I can tell so far I've got all the important poo poo down. It's first draft as gently caress, but the guts are there; however, I need gerbils to break poo poo and fine-tune values and such, since in a vacuum I can't really get a handle for that sort of thing. Thus, I'm going to do a "recruit", where I'll run a game if I can get enough people. Since this game is, y'know, hella rough, don't expect a first class experience. I will endeavor to make it as entertaining as possible though, and if Problems come up speak out pronto so I can fix it. Also feel free to ask why things are; if I can't justify it it's probably not a good decision.

*did literally nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Oh, I did "literally nothing", huh?! Well, fine then! I'm gonna help you playtest this dang game! And then you're going to package it up and submit it for publication and it's going to be AWESOME :swoon: in the way only heavy metal can! :black101:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
So if I'm reading the rules right, the players are tank mercenaries fighting in WW2? I am intrigued...

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Well as one of the people who slightly egged you on to make this, it will be my pleasure to help make you wish you never made this game participate in this illustrious masterpiece of World War 2 cinema.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Let's tank. :killdozer: :getin:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alright, 5 people should be good for a start. What time and theatre do you want to try first? I'm thinking 1941 Africa, but it's up to you!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Forums Terrorist posted:

Alright, 5 people should be good for a start. What time and theatre do you want to try first? I'm thinking 1941 Africa, but it's up to you!

Crusaders in the desert, then? Works for me!

(Unless we're taking *shudders* ITALIAN units)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's your choice. I won't stop you if you take the finest in Italian engineering.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Drats, 1941 Africa means I can't use the M3 Lee.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Whatever works.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
1941 Africa is exactly what I was going to suggest. I vote that we fight for the british.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't care who we play as, I just want to tank.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's play as the Germans and then defect to the Allies.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Depending on who you shack up with, you can; it's a 1941 vehicle.

Anyway it seems like time and theatre is settled so go ahead and start making characters. If anything at all seems weird or confusing post about it pronto so I can explain/fix it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
How does the Char B1 work? It has two guns, but one one man turret. Also, how do we allocate skill points? It's not very clear on that.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How does the Char B1 work? It has two guns, but one one man turret. Also, how do we allocate skill points? It's not very clear on that.

Each skill starts at +0, and you start with seven points. You can add skill points to each skill, but the cap is +4 (so that a 2 always fails). So for example if I were making a character I could allocate points as such:

Gunnery: +2
Driving: +1
Charisma: +1
Maintenance: +0
First Aid: +1
Bottle: +2

Crew members work exactly the same; you pay the amount listed for the listed amount of skill points, and allocate them however. The exceptions are Crack crew members, who get a free point in Gunnery, Driving or Maintenance (your choice), and Conscript crew members, who get no skill points and take a -1 penalty to all rolls until they get their first skill point after five battles.

The Char B1: One Man Turret applies to the gun in the turret (the 47mm). The 75mm howitzer is hull mounted and has a separate gunner, so it doesn't take the penalty.

I've edited these clarifications in.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 30, 2014

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
William Laval

William is a proud Pied-Noir who fought for La Belle France in the Great War. Despite sharing a name with Hitler's Vichy puppet, he is virulently anti-Nazi. He commands the Char B1 République.

Char B1 bis République
Crew: 4 Rookies

Gunnery: +4
Driving: +1
Charisma: +2
Maintenance: +1
Bottle: +2

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Resurrecting new characters in unrecognizable forms GO!

Tadeusz Maszynistski

+ Matilda II (30*.8 home country discount! = 23 GBP)

+ 3 Crack crew members, Janusz Wolek, Roman Syrenki, and Lech Kowal(18 GBP)
, , and

+ 5 GBP for ammo

Tadeusz used to be a cavalryman, and then he got his horse shot out from under him during Case White. So he got transferred to a TKS with a 20mm rifle. He had that shot out as well. When the Germans overran Poland, he fled, joined the 10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade, and got himself a Cruiser Mk. VI...which he also had shot out from under him! Now EXTREMELY annoyed at having gone 0-3 in the cavalry fight (oh, and losing his homeland, as well), he's linked up with fellow refugees Janusz, Roman and Lech, and gotten his hands on the heaviest-armored tank he could find. Let's see the Germans shoot THIS out from under him!

(Maybe it was a bad idea to name the tank and its crew "St. Sebastian"...)

Commander statline:
Gunnery: +1
Driving: +0
Charisma: +2
Bottle: +3
Trait: Shot like St. Sebastian

Crew statlines (Janusz the gunner):
Gunnery: +3
Charisma: +0
First Aid: +0
Bottle: +1
Trait: Case White Veteran

Crew statlines (Lech the loader):
Gunnery: +0
Maintenance: +2
First Aid: +2
Bottle: +0
Trait: Rodzina means Family

Crew statlines (Roman the driver):
Driving: +3
Trait: Theoretical Mechanist

Tank statline:
Name: Matilda 2
Front Armor: 8
Side Armor: 8
Speed: 3
Gun: QF 2 pdr (Range 11, Calibration 6)
Ammo: 93?/93
Visibility: +1
Notes: Stabiliser (+1)

Remaining budget: 50 - 23 - 18 - 5 = 4 GBP

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 2, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jay John Jackson
Daredevil Tank Commander
Trait: Run n' Gun

Charisma: +4
Bottle: +1

David Daryl Donaldson
Crack Driver (£6)

Driving: +4

Michael Mitchell Madison
Crack Gunner (£6)

Gunnery: +4

The Tremendous Terrifying Tetrarch
Tank Model: Tetrarch (£10 * .8 = £8)
Front Armor: 2
Side Armor: 1
Speed: 8
Crew: 6
Special: Two Man Turret, Stabilizer (+1)

Gun: QF 2 pdr
Ammo: 25 Standard (£5), 25 Specialty (£25)
Range: 11
Penetration: 6
Caliber: No HE

Total Costs:
Crack Crew x2 = 12
Tank = 8
Stock Ammo = 5
Special Ammo x25 = 25

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

British Crew in a Stuart I (M3 Stuart)

Devon Pryke, Commander and Loader.
Old Sweat
Gunnery +0
Driving +0
Charisma +3
Maintenance +0
First Aid +0
Bottle +4

Reg Osbourne, Gunner
Crack gunner, £6
Gunnery +4
Driving +0
Charisma +0
Maintenance +0
First Aid +0
Bottle +0

Richard Smee, Driver
Crack Driver, £6
Gunnery +0
Driving +4
Charisma +0
Maintenance +0
First Aid +0
Bottle +0

Simon Morby, Radio Operator
Crack Maintainer, £6
Gunnery +0
Driving +4
Charisma +0
Maintenance +3
First Aid +1
Bottle +0

Stuart I

Front Armor: 6
Side Armor: 3
Speed: 6
Gun: 37mm M3
Ammo: 103
Crew: 4
Cost: $15
Notes: Two Man Turret

37mm M3:
Range 12, Pen. 6, Caliber 1, RoF Fast, Ammo $5
12 rounds M51 (APCBC-T, +3 Pen), 44 M74 (AP), 47 M63 (HE).

Budget:
Crew: £18
Tank: $15
Ammo: $5 + $12

Beardless fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 30, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Images to follow

The Soviet Union sent a T-34 M1941 to Africa for field testing. They sent Janus Chekov, an ace tanker and devout son of the Soviet Union, to serve as its commander. Unfortunately the rest of the crews roster was filled out with a random assortment of soldiers he barely knows.

TANK
Name: T-34 M1941
Front Armor: 7
Side Armor: 6
Speed: 7
Gun: 76.2mm F-34
Ammo 77
Crew 4
Cost 20
Visibility -1
Notes Two Man Turret
Year 1941

GUN
Name: 76.2mm F-34
Range: 10
Penetration: 9
Caliber: 3
Regular Ammunition cost: $5
Special Ammo: 2 x $1
Rate Of Fire: Medium

CREW
Janus Chekov
Commander/Gunner
Crack: £6 each
+2 to Gunner
+3 to Charisma
+3 to Bottle
Sharp eyesight

Vladimer Petrov
Radio
Recruit $2
+1 to Maintenance
Speaks some German

Joseph Kalashnikov
Driver
Competent $4
+2 to Driving
Knows how to keep from getting the tank stuck

Boris Zhivago
Loader
Recruit $2
+1 to First Aid
Wanted to be a doctor

BUDGET
50 Start
-20 Tank
-07 Gun
-14 Crew
=09 Remaining

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I know you don't need to spend money on your commander, so that's 6 pounds back to you that you can spend someplace else. I'm not sure whether the whole crew starts with traits or just the commander (i.e. the PC), though.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I hate to rain on people's parades, but we're only supposed to be taking tanks from 1940 or earlier.

"¬Must be from at latest previous year (i.e. a campaign starting in 1940 would allow characters to start with a tank available in 1939 or earlier)"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Beardless posted:

I hate to rain on people's parades, but we're only supposed to be taking tanks from 1940 or earlier.

"¬Must be from at latest previous year (i.e. a campaign starting in 1940 would allow characters to start with a tank available in 1939 or earlier)"

I think FT mentioned on IRC that there was some caveat attached to that.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh okay. Could I also recommend having an IRC room specifically for this game?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

No, he's right. To start you pick a host country or allied tank that's from a previous year, or an enemy tank that's two years old. It only affects Takanago and RandomPauI at least, and in the latter's case I need to stat up two more T-34s anyway (the L-11 armed M1940 and the T-34/57).

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Man, you said current year was fine.

Well that's alright. I just need to switch to a slightly different silly strategy after I get home.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah, you did say in this thread that "year of campaign" was good.

RandomPauI posted:

Forums Terrorist posted:

Depending on who you shack up with, you can; it's a 1941 vehicle.

Unless it's supposed to go "home nation: year of campaign and earlier, + 20% discount; allied nation: year of campaign -1; enemy nation: year of campaign -2"?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Fair enough. I've nixed the penalty; if it causes issues it might come back but the main tool of balance should be cost, so I'll stick to that. Also this is the more fun option.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Fair enough. I've nixed the penalty; if it causes issues it might come back but the main tool of balance should be cost, so I'll stick to that. Also this is the more fun option.

Wait, what penalty? Or do you mean the year-1 restriction?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, what penalty? Or do you mean the year-1 restriction?

Yeah, by penalty I mean the "you can't have a vehicle from the same year as the campaign to start" thing. Since as we're seeing here it's probably just going to confuse people. :v:

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Alright, I got myself a group of Sikh who decided to hijack a Czech/German tank in the Battle of France and go "you know what the Gibraltar is nice this time of year, let's go there."

Girisha Ganesh Singh

Commander Stats:
Gunnery +3
Charisma +2
Bottle +2

Host Country: Britain (India)

Trait: GET CLOSER I WANT TO HIT IT WITH MY SWORD! (Alt Title: Sikh Tricks*)
*Basically everyone is treated as having Sikh Tricks.

Crew (Crack Crew x3)
Jaya Kaur
Driving +4

Madhukar Singh
Maintenance +2
Gunnery +1
First Aid +1

Nirav Shyam Singh
First Aid +3
Maintenance +1

Tank
Name: Panzer 38(t) Ausf. E
Nationality: "German" (Czech) (Ours now)
Front Armor: 5
Side Armor: 3
Speed: 4
Gun: 3.7cm KwK 38(t) L/47.8
Ammo: 72
Crew: 4
Cost: RM15
Notes: Two Man Turret
Year: 1939

Total Costs: 50 - 15 + 18 + (insert extra ammo here) = 17

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Game thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631252

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think you should build a future/sci-fi setting based on BattleTanx once you're done with boring old WWII.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Or you can go the Wargame route and keep moving forwards in time. Have the PCs in Chieftains, M60s, Leo 1s, T-64s, and the like run smack into an experimental T-90 platoon and have to be VERY VERY CLEVER to knock it out before it destroys everything!

(Yo, Alanwhats, Mycroft Holmes, where are you guys?)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Or you can go the Wargame route and keep moving forwards in time. Have the PCs in Chieftains, M60s, Leo 1s, T-64s, and the like run smack into an experimental T-90 platoon and have to be VERY VERY CLEVER to knock it out before it destroys everything!

(Yo, Alanwhats, Mycroft Holmes, where are you guys?)

This is the plan; I'd like to make sure the system works with a known reference point before I do anything based in fantasy.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Crossposting:

Forums Terrorist posted:

I've been letting my threads slide since this week was finals for most people, but now that they're over I'd like posts or signs that you're alive/interested by Monday.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So...no Frenchmen for us? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Guess not. I'll update tonight, and I'm cutting Mycroft Holmes out since he didn't respond.

• Locked thread