Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Thanks for making a nice OP, countblanc. I am currently obsessed with this game despite having not played it yet. There was a small tournament last week where people were sharing starters but my schedule was already full. Luckily, it seems like it will be a regular thing. I really like the low cost buy in compared to the miniature games I usually play and it seems you could be competitive with just a starter. Ive bought a few boosters because I was hoping to get a Punisher but no dice(hahaha that joke is never going to get old). Some of the symbols on the dice are so cool and I think even if I get tired of the game, as a big Marvel fan I really like having the cool little dice.

edit: The document link seems to be broken.

edit2: Here's a new link
They might have just changed the location on Wizkids website or something since it was originally posted.

jodai fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

What I find weird is at the store I found out about the game at, the next time I was in there I asked about getting some boosters and the guy was trying to convince me not to buy the boosters because the starters are so hard to get right now. I didn't push the issue because he was so strangely reluctant to sell me the product but I bought 10 boosters from another store(the one that ran the tournament), the owner introduced me to some other players and we talked for a bit about the game. Unfortunately, that's the store thats farthest from me.

Anyway , my point was there's no reason not to buy some boosters right now.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

At my LGS yesterday, they were saying now the boosters are running low. I'm worried that the people that actually want to play te game are going to get bought out by people who are just trying to make a quick buck on ebay.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I was at the store when the owner opened a box of 14 starters. Of course, I didn't have enough to get one at the time but I take it as a good sign that he got so many. Perhaps the drought is over! Then again maybe he just got lucky. Either way, they're starting a weekly league now.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Out of how many packs?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Which starter is "better" or what are the differences between the Avengers vs X-Men and Uncanny X-Men? Does it really boil down to which heroes you like better or is there a playstyle that is more favored in one or the other?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

That sucks bad. Those collector's boxes look cool to have in edition to a starter. There's supposed to be storage for your cards and stuff. Starters are a lot more available now, so even on ebay, they shouldn't be as jacked up in price as they were initially.

Ville Valo posted:

not enough dice for the 4 random boosters in each

That's one thing that kinda sucks, each card only comes with one die so if it's not a character from the starter, you'll have to hope to get a couple more of that character's card. Luckily, all the different versions of the character (common, uncommon, rare) all use the same dice.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

Is it confirmed that D&D will use the same fist/bolt/mask/shield suits as Marvel and DC? Lord of the Rings doesn't...

Why would they do this? Is it just "Instead of Fist we have Sword or is it something that's going to make them completely incompatible? I thought they'd know what they weredoing since one of the big selling points of Heroclix is you can have Guile and Frodo fight Batman and the Enterprise and Dicemasters is like a different take on the same idea.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Note that a monster in Yu-Gi-Oh means something different from a monster in D&D.

But don't they both have the keyword "monster"?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

AlleyViper posted:

The term monster w/r/t the YGO set is equivalent to character in any other set. Just call them characters to make life easier.

Monsters for the purpose of experience is anything that has the monster banner in the upper left corner and only something with the monster banner.

Ah, ok. Haven't checked out Yugioh and haven't got my hands on the DnD set yet but that's a pretty straight forward distinction.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Elblanco posted:

The game is super fun. I recently moved cross country and lucked out that my new area has a big community. Our best player is even on the top ten rated players in the world.

The DND sets are great so far, though the second one is hands down better than The first. Both sets work best as a stand alone game as they have mechanics that work best with only DND cards.

I waited for so long to really get into this and I started with the D.C. pack. It doesn't seem super great but I haven't got to play a lot. The DnD packs seem really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

That's part of why I held off on DnD even though I like the experience mechanic. It should have been a more universal term like villain that triggers it.

• Locked thread