Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'd like to play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'll take Classy Pageant World Peace Realness! Because if there's one word to describe me, it's Classy.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Classy lassy, confirming :bigtran:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Unless he has a sweet drag name that I don't know of I'm pretty sure windshipper isn't playing.

So do me and Pecota instead :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Or the last two posts. I thought windshipper was in the game because I remembered seeing his avatar on realness selection last night~

Murmur are we finally going to be on the same side here?

I'm pretty sure the universe implodes if we're on the same side in an online reality game!

That said, I'm on whatever side is more fabulous.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

Also, I wouldn't do the thing with MMT and what's his face if I were you. There's a good chance they're either gambiting or one is a godfather, I feel it in my bones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KevqJgNokU

Don't you DARE. :nyd:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'll just put it out there now that I don't believe derp :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

And also that the best reality seasons are, in no particular order:

Survivor: Heroes vs Villians (S20)
Big Brother: All Stars (S7)
Apprentice UK Season 2
Big Brother UK: Season 7
The Mole seasons 1/2

hope that helps!

oh and The Genius Season 1 but everyone knows that one

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Poque posted:

HvV over Micronesia? Insanity. And SCUMMY ##vote Murmur

The winner of MY favorite season could beat the winner of YOUR favorite season. Checkmate!

uranus posted:

hello everyone. if you look at my post closely you will find that... the song... was not from the 80s, even though it was a band popular in the 80s! :o gasp! so you can deduce that my post was not a true fact!

anyway yeah i made up that role for fun and it didnt work. i just dont have it like i used to.

You need to tell us your role right now so that we can work on rebuilding trust.

Power of Pecota posted:

It's more that Murmur and I always end up with conflicting goals, we've had to turn on each other twice in Awful Survivor and haven't been the same alignment in the 2(?) mafia games we've played together.

This is very true, and I'm town this time, so I'm going to play the odds. ##vote Pecota

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Shock of shocks, I arrived late :(

And yeah, just joking around. But honestly I've grown to appreciate the "Murmur sounds awkward, she must be scum!" D1 cycle, bring it on.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Poque posted:

Is fabuloise when a Blastoise does drag?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Poque posted:

##vote foo

Thought process behind this...?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

uranus posted:

i think murmur and foo are scum together

Wait until we post back-to-back and then use your power on us!

I think Foo is town - he's saying/doing too many things (voting me after one post, casing derp for lying about his role, responding with long defenses against every point when pressured) to make me think he's scum. I'm pretty new to Mafia still, and my gut reaction to derp lying was "That's scummy!" until I thought about it some more. I guess I just don't see how acting suspicious of Derp would be a good scum play?

I think Foo posting a lot this early makes him an easy scapegoat for scum to point to. If anything that argument makes me look harder at Ixtlilton, 50, and Poque. Ixtlilton questioning Foo feels genuine and I don't really get a scum vibe there.

Poque posted:

I don't believe that he actually thinks derp's fakeclaim was harmful to town or that lying (as the game starts) is specifically not town-friendly. basically Uradd has it right:

This is the proper reaction to have, not trying to push it into scummy territory.

Why is derp making up a role and generating discussion good for town, but then foo questioning derp's intent and generating discussion scummy?

50 pounds of bread posted:

##vote foo

I'm actually very down with that.

I don't know if that's just like "50 being 50" or what but that seems like a really low-effort bandwagon post on the easy target. Which is so far the scummiest-looking thing I've seen in this game. ##vote 50

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Because turning jokeclaims into lynches can be effective, and people generally don't attribute blame when jokeclaimers are lynched. It's a very safe accusation.

Really? This early in the game I feel like pushing back on Derp for an obvious fakeclaim is pretty inconclusive. Town might do it, scum might do it, but I would never think someone was scum because they did it (any more than I would think Derp was scum after giving it some thought).

Posting a lot has nothing to do with alignment. Townies that post a lot do it to "help" the rest of the town see their reasoning. Scum that post a lot do it to "help" townies see their reasoning. Total non sequitor

I tend to believe that more words/points usually (not always, but usually) points to being honest. The more stuff you say, the more likely it is to gently caress up down the road and get caught in a lie. I don't think Foo would have defended himself that hard on "Derp is scum" to the level he did if he were scum.

Again, it's not airtight reasoning, more of a gut thing where I'm explaining where the hunch comes from.

quote:

Someone else found it, but I like the vote, it's a variation of the "you are too smart to say that, so you must be scum." which is my favorite early game case. I believe it applies here.

I've never played with Foo or Uradd (I think I have at least one game with everyone else here) so to be fair I don't really know "you are too smart to say that" applies there.

Ixtlilton posted:

How is this saying anything other than "lying is inherently anti-town"? Especially when he was using it to implicitly call derp scummy.

Also, to answer PoP's question, yes, I did see it.

I do think Foo was essentially saying "lying is inherently anti-town", I just think he was wrong rather than lying.

As for PoP's question, if the answer is "Foo looked scummy for fabricating a vote on Derp", then I do. If there's something beyond that then it's flying over my head, I think.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also: I'm doing Saturday things today so won't be around too much but will try to check in one or two more times before deadline.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

uranus posted:

what up yo. dubstep drops kinda sound like big farts. or maybe something is wrong with my headphones

Artist's depiction of derp listening to dubstep.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Foo is town -

:waycool:

Right now, the most suspicious player in my eyes is Asiina:

(a) While I admit it's entirely probable that she's stuck phoneposting, I could also see that being used as a way to avoid having to make in-depth cases that could later backfire.
(b) She seemed pretty adamantly in favor of moving the vote off of Foo. (full disclosure: yes, I was too)
(c) The general attitude towards deadline of "I'll vote for whoever everyone else wants to, as long as it's not Foo or 50" gives the impression of making a town effort without actually taking a firm stance on someone.
(d) I feel like the vote for Foo towards the end forced her hand, because people knew she was here at deadline and it would have been weird if she didn't help the lynch go through.

Also on my list (for when I have more time) are Pecota, Yuming, and kaschei - but those are all pending D2 discussion.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Taking a look at Pecota..

Power of Pecota posted:

Foo can you give one (1) reason why derp's claim would be harmful to the town/beneficial for scum to make?

Power of Pecota posted:

Think long-term though - would sticking with the claim be a kamikaze mission where at the end scum derp's like "Haha you chain lynched two town off my dumb claim, laters"? I don't buy him going for that out of the gate D1. Would he give an actual town + scum pair and try to ride the claim out, which would put a 50/50 target on the back of a scum in a 12-person game? I don't see a viable long-term scum strategy off of faking that. Do you?

Knowing now that Foo was scum, I look back at this discussion between Pecota and Foo and it looks to me like Pecota, realizing that people think Foo is scum based on what he said about Derp, is trying to help his scumbuddy justify it in-thread to move suspicion elsewhere.

Power of Pecota posted:

##vote Uradd on reread, this post bugs me, it looks like asking a question for the sake of asking a question. Even if they don't agree with it, did anyone besides Uradd not infer what the logic behind the Poque/50 votes on Foo was?

This feels like a made-up reason to vote for someone other than Foo.

Power of Pecota posted:

Ixt/Asiina, we've got 23 minutes until deadline and you can put Uradd into a tie for the vote lead with Foo if you switch. Why not do it?

Going on what I see above, this feels more like it's about saving Foo than thinking Uradd is scum.

For now I'm good with ##vote Power of Pecota.

Ixtlilton posted:

People not posting their most and least likely scum teams ITT.

PoP and Asiina.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

I was trying to figure out Foo's rationale behind the vote, and he literally never responded to my follow-up. You're framing me trying to get him to justify his vote as me pulling pressure off of him, which is complete horseshit.

Did it feel made up yesterday? You didn't say anything about it then beyond agreeing with my premise that the logic behind the votes he was asking about was clearly visible. The case on Foo was pretty tepid, 50 was upfront about that himself.

This sounds really, really reverse-engineered.

All of this is really reverse-engineered. At least, in terms of the fact that yesterday I thought Foo was town and so I agreed with what you were saying. Today, I know he wasn't, so I'm specifically trying to re-examine how people were acting towards him and basing what I think on what I've seen. It's not like I'm 100% sure you're scum or anything, but for me right now that's what I see as the strongest case. If we don't hear from yuming or Uradd (or get thought processes behind who 50/Kaschei/Asiina/uranus think is scum) we're still really early on in D2.

And yes, I know that sounds hypocritical given that I was vocal about thinking Foo was town. If people want to push back on my logic so be it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

I mean, your points seem like you're trying to fit me into a narrative that's not there, specifically me getting Foo to explain his vote. I don't see how that looks like me giving him an out, a ton of people hold to "lynch all liars" stuff as town and can back it up. I wanted to see if he could and never got a response.

I'm fitting you into a narrative that is possibly there, because I don't know if you're telling me the truth or lying to me. To me it looks like you were subtly nudging people away from Foo - I fully admit I might be wrong, it's kind of up to everyone else to decide.

uranus posted:

hey everyone what about murmur twin. also maybe yuming who knows, shes probably really busy and tired

What about me? :angel:

There are a lot of quiet people in this game and I want to know what they think. :(

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

So pointing out why Foo's logic re: why he thought derp was scum was off is leading people away from voting him? I'm having a really hard time seeing how this is working from your perspective.

You seem to think I'm presenting a proof when I am in fact presenting a hypothesis.

Feel free to give me a better case on anyone else?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm asking you to defend how you're getting to that hypothesis and it's not checking out at all. ##vote Murmur

Power of Pecota posted:

Foo can you give one (1) reason why derp's claim would be harmful to the town/beneficial for scum to make?

Captain Foo posted:

POP - the obvious advantage for scum is to set up two town as appearing to be on opposite sides - with obvious town-on-town slapfighting afterwards, leaving the scum to be able to fly under the radar more easily

Power of Pecota posted:

Think long-term though - would sticking with the claim be a kamikaze mission where at the end scum derp's like "Haha you chain lynched two town off my dumb claim, laters"? I don't buy him going for that out of the gate D1. Would he give an actual town + scum pair and try to ride the claim out, which would put a 50/50 target on the back of a scum in a 12-person game? I don't see a viable long-term scum strategy off of faking that. Do you?

Captain Foo posted:

(doesn't reply to Pecota)

OK, so you're questioning Foo, and then you make your point, and he doesn't reply to you. Then:

quote:

##vote Uradd on reread, this post bugs me, it looks like asking a question for the sake of asking a question.

Power of Pecota posted:

Ixt/Asiina, we've got 23 minutes until deadline and you can put Uradd into a tie for the vote lead with Foo if you switch. Why not do it?

quote:

Things are looking like a pretty clear apathy/process of elimination vote on Foo right now, is anyone else besides Ixt/Asiina here?

I just found it weird that in the middle of questioning Foo, without him replying, you jumped to Uradd. With Foo it was "explain your logic", with Uradd it was "I don't like this sentence, he must be scum". You even said:

Power of Pecota posted:

I was trying to figure out Foo's rationale behind the vote, and he literally never responded to my follow-up. You're framing me trying to get him to justify his vote as me pulling pressure off of him, which is complete horseshit.

So why did you seem so unhappy voting for him?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Cool framing again with that Foo (no response) quote between my question to him and Uradd vote making it look like there was time between them when it was all in one post.

See, the point of asking someone questions is to figure out their mindset. I didn't get a chance to hear anything from Foo beyond

Which just read lazy to me, that's why I wanted to hear follow-up. Clinging onto a vote like that when someone can't adequately explain it would have made me suspicious, all I got was a really shortsighted thought.

I was unhappy because nobody was talking about anything (plus Ixt and Asiina were being really slow to vote my top scumpick Uradd when they clearly preferred lynching him to Foo) and usually when someone with three votes at the end of D1 becomes the only viable lynch because of inactivity (Poque, this isn't about the merit of the case. Literally only enough people were around to lynch Foo and even that was down to the wire) they aren't scum. I stand by the Uradd vote, his entire day was sidling around the derp thing and asking a facetious question.

##unvote

For what it's worth, I'm more inclined to believe you from your conviction when replying to me. However, Uradd's lack of posting seems pretty explainable by real-life stuff (his needing to sub out), which puts me back at square one since the only real case I have against people is "who is lurking?" (which is a lot of people).

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

yuming posted:

Informed POV: scum would suspect derp to be telling the truth about his role D1 because his result was accurate from their perspective. Knowing that, bussing foo would be a ~clever move~

re: Yuming's case - her theory is based on Poque believing derp's claim and making moves to bus Foo in response. The only thing Poque posts about between derp's fakeclaim and the revelation that he was lying are:

(a) questioning Derp about the power / volunteering for it
(b) asking Ernie why he thinks derp is a 3P
(c) talking about other reality shows (including incorrectly saying Survivor HvV isn't the best season)

Poque doesn't talk about Foo at all until after the lie is revealed.

Regarding (a) above, either:

- Poque believes that Derp is telling the truth, which to me would indicate town, because what scum would volunteer for that? or
- Poque doesn't believe Derp is telling the truth, which would give him no reason to bus Foo.

Poque has seemed really town to me all game so far. Yuming's theory doesn't hold that much water to me - which then leads me down the road of "is she tired and unable to keep up with the game, or is she trying to lead the lynch on a townie?". Then throw in:

yuming posted:

derp and Ixi obv town. 50 eh I don't think he's scum after today.

Poque posted:

this is terrible. 50 has one post today:

yuming posted:

I changed my mind about 50 because I don't think he's scum OMG why is that so hard to understand~

And it seems like yuming is trying to fabricate opinions on people. Sorry :( ##vote yuming

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also I did this, please no one else beat me because I worked really hard on this and never win challenges in online reality game shows:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Oh wait I was supposed to PM that image. I can't read rules. Should I take that down or...?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

VivaNova posted:

Girl!

Just kidding. I'll allow it cause OdorousTabacco isn't following this thread. But reading is a fundamental skill for a drag queen- work on it!

edit: Murmur, your inbox is full!

:o:

Of course I realize how important it is that drag queens be highly literate! I'll try harder in the future.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

Also, I was sure I put a vote down earlier, what happened with that. I wanna ##vote Murmur Twin

What'd I do?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hi guys! I went to sleep early last night.

(a) I'm the cop
(b) bowmore is town (I investigated Uradd N1, which is why I was originally suspicious of Pecota going from Foo to Uradd)
(c) pretty sure yuming is scum

uranus posted:

kill mt, tia

:chillpill:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

Murmur Twin's vote on her, however, looks like a scum who doesn't want to vote someone who they think is cool and they like, but they're an easy target.

My vote on yuming was town who doesn't want to vote someone who they think is cool and they like, but is pretty sure they're scum. And that was just from the case on Poque, nevermind the cop fakeclaim.

Ixtlilton posted:

I don't even know man, he didn't even post calling Foo scum until after derp retracted it, so I thought her stuff was about something else and re-read it more closely. It was a pretty town yuming case imo, just from the way she went about it, and displayed her Town Associated Behavioral Patterns.

How is her scum game different from what you've seen here?

Poque posted:

##vote yuming

I don't think scum would counter and basically stick themselves in a 1-for-1 position, especially down a player from day 1

Yeah, if yuming really was a cop, the only reason for me to claim is if I'm scum. If I were scum I would have just let bowmore get lynched.

bowmore posted:

Thank you Murmur Twin.

;-*

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

Town yuming plays connections and that kind of stuff more, scum yuming plays feelings in my experience. Also, you're misreading the game if you thought bowmore was getting lynched today over you without these claims.

Connections like Poque believing derp's lie even though a quick read shows that couldn't have been the case?

With bowmore I probably would have piled onto other people's cases/votes against him. You, PoP, and yuming were all casing/voting for him before I claimed. I'dve gone with stuff like "he was idle D1!" and "nice OMGUS on yuming!" and such. But I didn't, because I'm not scum.

Poque posted:

there could be also shenanigans with two cops. Do either of your cops have caveats to the use? Also, what was the flavor behind each of your abilities?

I brought an extra lipstick pen into the game which makes me more confident at telling who is/isn't really sickening. I'm a 3x-shot cop.

uranus posted:

hi. i tracked yuming to 50 last night. mt is scum lying

Poque posted:

also a friendly note that a fake scum cop would've chosen their fake cop target as the person they actually targeted. the possibility still remains that yuming is a roleblocker or something else and visited 50 last night.

This.

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 8, 2014

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sorry, that last edit was just me clarifying I was talking about bowmore in the second sentence of my first point above. I am a bad drag queen :(

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ixtlilton was sickening. I am the worst cop :(

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I just caught up - so assuming people are telling the truth, we have:

Murmur - cop (targetted Ixt last night)
Asiina - drag mom (targetted Poque last night)
derp - tracker (targetted Poque last night)
kaschei - jailer (targetted derp last night)
50 - copycat (targetted Asiina last night)
Bowmore - doctor (? last night, investigated town by me N1)
Poque -
Pecota - bulletproof (?)

Poque, have you said your role yet? Poque and Pecota, did you take any actions last night?

Barring any changes I'm pretty happy with a Pecota lynch. ##vote Pecota

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sorry guys - this weekend was particularly bad for me in terms of being active online. Looking over the game now. Forgive me if I repeat what other people are saying, I'm kind of stream-of-consciousness'ing this post.

I do think it's entirely possible that Kaschei was suspicious of me D1 but not D2 - on D1 I was advocating for Foo, saying I thought he was town, and it probably would have looked to the untrained eye that I was trying to take the heat off of him. On D2, when the thread had died down for a bit, I was at least posting a lot trying to case Pecota, and then I claimed cop (and helped catch yuming in the process).

What I don't get - and this is where Pecota is making sense - is that there's no explanation for how Kaschei targetted me N1 and didn't have it go through. We know there's a jailer in the game because 50 copied the jailing ability, and since (a) Kaschei said it's him and (b) everyone else has claimed a role, the only way for Kaschei to not be the jailer is for two people to be lying.

Night one, yuming targetted 50 (verified by derp) and 50 didn't die, so I don't think she did the kill. If there's such a thing as scum jailer being able to kill/jail when they're the last scum standing (I claim newbie here but it seems plausible), I can totally see Kaschei being the last scum instead of Pecota. I re-looked over N1 claims and, assuming no lies, we have:

Night one:
---
Murmur - cop (targetted Bowmore N1)
Asiina - drag mom (targetted Poque N1)
derp - tracker (targetted yuming N1)
kaschei - jailer (targetted me N1, failed)
50 - copycat (copied Asiina and targetted himself N1)
Bowmore - doctor (targetted 50 N1)
Poque - no targetting abilities
Pecota - no targetting abilities
Ixtlilton - no targetting abilities
yuming - scum rolecop (targetted 50 N1)

And I can't see any way that Kaschei would fail if he targetted me N1. My feeling right now is to lynch Kaschei tonight unless someone can explain that. I do think that scum is either Kaschei or Pecota, but of the two I feel like Kaschei is closer to being caught in a lie, which seems like a good hunch. In the event that Pecota is scum, he has a pretty uphill battle from there even if he "wins" N3.

##vote Kaschei

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Although I did just realize after posting (and I'm certainly not trying to edit posts anymore!) that the items from D1 had abilities, and so those probably need to be re-examined. Did anyone who opened a box besides Poque and Kaschei get anything that did anything?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Poque posted:

also i'm totally fine with this, it's exactly what I would do

:smugdog::hf::chord:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Wow, I think this was my first town victory? Good times!

Power of Pecota posted:

It's more that Murmur and I always end up with conflicting goals, we've had to turn on each other twice in Awful Survivor and haven't been the same alignment in the 2(?) mafia games we've played together.

:aaa:

Thanks $8, I had a lot of fun this game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ixtlilton posted:

I still thought she was scum, she was getting lynched without a cc because bowmore's reactions to me were really towny, and getting the cop lynched when there's probably a doctor D2 is well worth a scum buddy who's getting lynched anyway.

Murmur, I've now wanted to lynch you as an un-cc'd doctor and as a cc'ing cop, that's downright impressive how scummy you come off to me.

I've remembered from the last few games we've been in together (I think it's three now?) that you tend to think I'm scum. It was nice reading your/Poque's masondoc for a sort of insight on how I come off that wasn't biased by having me there! I (along with a few others - Asiina, and maybe Poque?) read the TVIV Survivor thread, found The Game Room through playing Survivor online, and then started playing Mafia because I made friends with a few Mafia players and wanted to keep on gaming. Honestly, I think it's kind of funny that I come off as scummy - like I said at the beginning of this game, I've encountered "Murmur sounds awkward!" D1 every game I've played and I've learned to just roll with it.

Would you believe that (to my knowledge) I've never actually lied in a mafia game? :) Even the one time (out of five now) that I've been scum, I was so afraid to say something that can be proven false later that I haven't done it yet. In my scum game (Kumba's Goonfest II game), I got investigated as NOT TOWN and didn't feel confident in my ability to lie my way out of it so I pretty much just scumclaimed and bowed out. There is still a whole ton of information to handle per game that is tough to work out - I enjoy playing so I figure as I get used to the common roles/setups/other peoples' metas, I'll be able to start getting creative.

• Locked thread