Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

s1ppycup posted:

I'm probably guilty of this as well. I considered jumping straight into a save with a large base already humming along, and in retrospect I sort of wish I had. I think for future videos I'm going to keep recording paused the majority of the time, and only resume when I've reached a milestone or need to talk about what I'm working towards. As a viewer, is that something like what you're looking for?

Yes. Watching another kid play with lego is boring as hell, but I'd still like to see the end product and enough of the in-between bits to get a sense of how it all fits together. Imagine having to watch someone build this thing in real time, except you're not allowed to help and they refuse to tell you when you should come back if you want to see the good bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I don't really mind watching a video of someone starting from scratch. I enjoy seeing how different people start off their maps and progress, mainly because I'm pretty unimaginative and it gives me ideas. :shobon:

But I do see how it could be boring to some people. Heck you could just do a video starting from scratch but put a link to the time in the video to when the cool stuff starts maybe?

I completely forgot splitters existed, but now they've helped me get my first fully automated iron and coal production started.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I build my factories with highly efficient moduals spread out over massive distance linked by conveyer belts and trains and junk.

Its way easier to stick new junk on, or take it off. Plus you can totally wipe out one whole area and rebuild it more efficiently since everything is coming in one end and being pooped out the other.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh my god you can manually drive the trains :swoon: GOTY2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I am quickly learning that on Peaceful Mode, trains are the only thing you can build that will just randomly kill you. Stay off the tracks, kids.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Also: Don't get off until they've stopped moving.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh my god you can manually drive the trains :swoon: GOTY2014

Don't forget that the rail signals actually* work like real rail signals do. Train sperg taim! :swoon:

* - more or less.

Gotdammy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 9, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elfface posted:

Also: Don't get off until they've stopped moving.

Or try to get on half a second before they start moving!

Basically what I'm saying is this game needs a big loud TOOT TOOT when a train's about to take off, so you'll know it's happening.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fingers crossed that's part of the "factory noises" we're getting in 0.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

Gotdammy posted:

Don't forget that the rail signals actually* work like real rail signals do. Train sperg taim! :swoon:

* - more or less.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out rail automation actually, I got one to move to a station once and then it stopped forever because it turns out that although locomotives can be manually run backwards, they won't do this automatically (and also the reverse gear sucks), so either your track route must form a loop, or you must have a second locomotive on the opposite end of the train
:qqsay:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 9, 2014

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fingers crossed that's part of the "factory noises" we're getting in 0.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

I'm having a really hard time figuring out rail automation actually, I got one to move to a station once and then it stopped forever because it turns out that although locomotives can be manually run backwards, they won't do this automatically (and also the reverse gear sucks), so either your track route must form a loop, or you must have a second locomotive on the opposite end of the train
:qqsay:

Only the ends of the line has to loop not the whole track, and I can't get the two engine train to work for longer routes, maybe I need to try having two stops at the end to start the train in the right direction.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A line with looped ends is fundamentally identical to a circle :colbert:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

A line with looped ends is fundamentally identical to a circle :colbert:

No I think he's saying like each end loops back on itself. So you have a U but at each end of the U there's a small circle.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ruzihm posted:

No I think he's saying like each end loops back on itself. So you have a U but at each end of the U there's a small circle.

Yeah, each end is a separate loop.

edit: like this

Hel fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 9, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looks like a closed loop to me :dijkstrasay:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What Djikstra doesn't know is that a train can't drive in a circle around that loop. It's possible to add a few curve bits to make that possible (for instance, to make that station a waypoint between two lines) but you have to be careful not to wind up with a signal segment shorter than the train that needs to traverse it.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Bought this today because I saw this thread and then Sips showcased it. Am enjoying myself immensely. Not actually far into the game, since I always get stuck on little details like symmetrical layouts and other :spergin:. Seeing how this seems to be the point of the game, that's quite alright though, my factory is gonna run like a well oiled machine.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is there more campaign after the radar scanning part? It closed out after that for me but I've downloaded the alpha.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There is, that's just where the demo ends. You can jump in to Chapter 2, which picks up where the demo chapter left off, so no need to re-do things either.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Elfface posted:

There is, that's just where the demo ends. You can jump in to Chapter 2, which picks up where the demo chapter left off, so no need to re-do things either.

but I didnt download the demo :(, I'm a Transport Belt Repair Man and clicked the download 0.9.8 alpha zip. Weird. How large is your alpha folder?

Edit: I'm dumb, there's a new hope chapter.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a better way to power your base than solars/steam? I'm getting to the point where I have obscene power demands and huge fields of each ain't cutting it anymore.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
No, but you can cut your power use by 60 - 80% with efficiency modules.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Dev log: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-33

Important points:

• The price will be raised slightly next month, to 15 euros
  • Paypal is no longer needed, you can pay directly with your credit card
  • As was discussed here, the devs are not sure what would be a good moment to hit steam. It may not happen until it's 1.0

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, next question, the only way to get artifacts/purple science is by killing alien bases, yea? All the bases around have worms that kill me dead and none of my weapons (upgraded as high as non-artifact weapons go) hurt them at all. I suppose it comes down to which of the Rocket Launcher or Flamethrower is worth getting.

E: Probably the rocket launcher just to have the infrastructure for the rocket defense later

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

Alright, next question, the only way to get artifacts/purple science is by killing alien bases, yea? All the bases around have worms that kill me dead and none of my weapons (upgraded as high as non-artifact weapons go) hurt them at all. I suppose it comes down to which of the Rocket Launcher or Flamethrower is worth getting.

E: Probably the rocket launcher just to have the infrastructure for the rocket defense later
Only the spawners drop artifacts, the worms don't. Rocket launchers don't out range big worms, the best way to take those out is poison capsules. Sadly the spawners don't take any damage from those. Once you've taken out the worms and can get up close the flamer makes short work of spawners.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Worms will gently caress you up royally in a straight fight unless you have modular armor (or power armor) with a bunch of shields and at least one portable fusion generator. Which costs artifacts to make. :argh:

If it's just one worm, then you can hit and run it /w rockets if you have a body of water where you can catch a bunch of fish. (Fish heal you when eaten) Else you'll need to drag a power line in and kill 'em with a horde of laser turrets.

Both rockets and the flammer will kill spawners just about as dead, but the flammer has the advantage of being useful for clearing out all the goddamn trees :black101:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Evilreaver posted:

Walk turrets towards them. So like, plonk down half a dozen turrets and load them up, then stand next to them and place six more as far out as you can, remove the first ones, rinse and repeat. It's a bit tedious without blueprints, but it's the safest way to advance on biter spawners without heavy weapons (PS the rocket launcher isn't actually all that great anyway, because you can only use one at once :v:)

If that sounds boring, you'll do better building a shitload of defender capsules, getting in your car, and doing donuts in the general area you want to hit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Bummer. I tried peeling out doughnuts and throwing defenders while shooting my rocket launcher out the window (:dukedog:) but that didn't really work too well- too easy to misjudge a turn and slam into a big biter or stay too long against the worm who has homing spit because of course they do :arghfist:

Walking turrets is easier, safer, and really boring :(

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 10, 2014

Rapner
May 7, 2013

This train mission really needs to have the gather amounts lowered. They're out by like a factor of 10.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Walk turrets towards them. So like, plonk down half a dozen turrets and load them up, then stand next to them and place six more as far out as you can, remove the first ones, rinse and repeat. It's a bit tedious without blueprints, but it's the safest way to advance on biter spawners without heavy weapons (PS the rocket launcher isn't actually all that great anyway, because you can only use one at once :v:)

If that sounds boring, you'll do better building a shitload of defender capsules, getting in your car, and doing donuts in the general area you want to hit.

I haven't got to train tech yet - Is there some sort of flatbed train carriage you can put turrets on? So you can lay down tracks and drive your gun-train up to the target.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Unfortunately no. There's only one kind of locomotive and one kind of cargo carriage right now, but with the target release date over a year away I'm sure they'll find time to diversify things a bit before then. (and if they don't it'll be because they've been busy turning this thing from a sandbox into an actual game; this order of priority is one of my favourite things about these guys)

Rapner posted:

This train mission really needs to have the gather amounts lowered. They're out by like a factor of 10.

It's fine so long as you actually repair the railway to bring iron/copper from the existing mines. Total requirements just to meet the target are 17k Copper and 25k Iron, which the the train can bring back in about 9 and 13 trips respectively provided you fix everything up completely. The actual problem is that the prompts don't push you into doing this hard enough, and don't give any instruction at all on how to go about it.

PS you'll burn through 2500 magazines fast enough on the next level :jihad:

milward
Nov 5, 2009

So after a few restarts I finally got my car built and fueled up and just ams I am going to enter it an arttack comes, and my turrets are out of ammo. Ran to the lower set of turrets but got swarmed and died.

At least now I know how to get red and green beakers flowing . Now I just have to remember to reload the turrets and not just repair them. :eng101:

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

milward posted:

At least now I know how to get red and green beakers flowing . Now I just have to remember to reload the turrets and not just repair them. :eng101:
The beauty of this game is that you can set up an ammo production line and automatically reload turrets in about 50 different ways.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man this game can be infuriating sometimes. I'm almost out of iron so I spot a nice big iron patch way in the distance, and start laying track to it... only to find that there are a good 8 worms living there. No spawners, just goddamn worms. I don't have substations yet this time so the turret walk is going to be extra annoying. I suppose the 'no spawners' is a blessing.

Rapacity posted:

The beauty of this game is that you can set up an ammo production line and automatically reload turrets in about 50 different ways.

This really is the best/worst part of the game. There's a hundred ways to do absolutely everything (which is fantastic) EXCEPT combat, in which the turret walk is the only offensive weapon, basically at all. I hope they fix this.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Running around with the flamer and a bunch of follower bots is really the only proper way to do combat. Everything else before that is just there to tide you over.

In other news, I finally got around to actually finishing the game objective (which I hear is a temporary placeholder, thank god).

I like how the game tells you how many and what types of trees you murdered in cold blood. :black101:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Anyone have an example of a refinery complex approaching cleanliness? Mine is a hideous slapdash affair (due mainly to figuring out systems on the go) and I'd like it to be neater next time I build one.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gotdammy posted:

I like how the game tells you how many and what types of trees you murdered in cold blood. :black101:

Even better, each time you are a poo poo driver (like me) and plow over one of your power poles, that counts as a kill!
And when you gently caress up enough poles and ruin your car (I'm a bad driver) that counts as a 'car' kill.

:saddowns:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Even better, each time you are a poo poo driver (like me) and plow over one of your power poles, that counts as a kill!
And when you gently caress up enough poles and ruin your car (I'm a bad driver) that counts as a 'car' kill.

:saddowns:

Cars are WAY too fragile for the finnicky controls considering how expensive they are to make and how they try to encourage them to be some sort of gigantic mega chest. On the mission where you need like 2500-3000 of five different resources, I had the vast majority of that in the car, and accidentally blew it up. I didn't realize what had happened for a moment, as every single tile on the screen (and a distance around it!) was covered in iron plates, copper plates, steel bars, and ammo spontaneously.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They need to add Roads (just Stone Brick for basic) that 'grab' the car's steering so you can drive more care-free around your civilized areas. Slap them down like rails and drive from base to base, and you can veer off whenever you want to (active steering taking precedence over passive road steering).

Heck, add an Asphalt via oil refining for a speed boost for rich folks.

I do like that every time I drive back to base in late-game a swarm of robots buzz over and fix my car up. Those bots are some of the best things I've seen in a game.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

Cars are WAY too fragile for the finnicky controls considering how expensive they are to make and how they try to encourage them to be some sort of gigantic mega chest. On the mission where you need like 2500-3000 of five different resources, I had the vast majority of that in the car, and accidentally blew it up. I didn't realize what had happened for a moment, as every single tile on the screen (and a distance around it!) was covered in iron plates, copper plates, steel bars, and ammo spontaneously.
On the flip side, cars 1: are faster then any biter. 2: allow you to shoot and use items while driving. Set up a grenade production facility and use them to blow roads through forests then do drive-bys on biter nests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I like to just put a bunch of exoskeleton speed boost thingies on my power armor, then I can run circles around huge swarms of biters.