Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Teledahn posted:

My first thought is 'Oh that's pretty cool' to focus on area control rather than discrete creature combat.

My second thought was 'Isn't that kind of already what we have?' Nearly all static defenses will be eventually run down without a logistical supply line.

I do like the idea of a more endemic hostile threat that was less mobile, sort of more of a low level area threat rather than discrete biters.

I wouldn't mind a Creeper World planet, whether as vegetable, animal, or mineral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Incredibly invasive and aggressive growing plant life. Carpets of death. You get a walking around "starter" option like the weed whacker from Zombies Ate My Neighbors, upgrade to a giant lawnmower version of the car and an even bigger riding mower style tank. Defenses could be refining new chemical materials to make weed killer gas clouds or automated sprinkler system sprays that you can wire up to activate defensively and/or periodically.

Fire spreads aggressively along the plants but add some give or take to it, alternatively or in unison with an interaction between pollution/trees/evil plants, some kind of whammy if you get too cocky somehow. Evolve the Engineer vs Trees wars.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there going to be any more use of water in the expansion? Like, boats, or water enemies, or water that gets depleted etc. It's always seemed to be a bit of an omission to do so little with all large a part of the map.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Is there going to be any more use of water in the expansion? Like, boats, or water enemies, or water that gets depleted etc. It's always seemed to be a bit of an omission to do so little with all large a part of the map.

Other than being able to build rail bridges over it, it doesn't sound like anything's going to be changing with the water on Nauvis, at least.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 13, 2024

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Something I realized yesterday after seeing the raised railroads in the video: while the huge networks of railways are obviously going to benefit the most from this addition, those raised rails also allow simple double-headed train setups to be more viable than before.

With double-headed trains going between two stations in a simple line, you eventually reach a problem of the old lines getting in the way of getting back to your base once you get one or two outposts away from your starting area. Just going over the old train lines lets at least one more set of train stations have a track to return to the main base with, and probably much more with a bit of planning, even without using signals.

So, the raised rails may also make it easier for train novices to get a lot more out of their railway systems even if they haven't learned train signals yet, or ever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I plan on using 1-2-1 trains for my first Space Age run, in part because scaling up earlier seems like it will be more desirable, and because some of the changes including elevated rails are drawing me toward the idea of running bi-directional trains on unidirectional track. Compact stations but retaining high throughput.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just want the train logic update to be released. Interrupts and the train station logic would be great to just add in an update and then they can keep teasing us with the new content.

That alone would be such a massive quality of life change.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

New FFF on how they completely overengineered an entire framework for generating essentially endless combinations of music tracks.

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-40

Weirdly, they're not using this to do any kind of dynamic reactivity to in-game events, which seems very odd considering how much work it must have been. Their justification is that they would have had to plan the music from the beginning that way, but I don't really buy that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 19, 2024

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I think they meant they had to do it from the beginning in the technical debt sense. They'd likely have to and add "tags" to various actions and events, optimize how they're checked so the music doesnt lag or take up too much game cycles, and add logic about how to mix all of them together.

Ideally a really dedicated modder might be able to do it for them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gadzuko posted:

Did you get to fight them with flamethrowers though? That seems like it would be pretty cathartic.

Alkydere posted:

Were you allowed to use flamethrowers on an industrial scale with no care for (and perhaps instead active malice) for your neighbors?

family has been keeping it encroaching for years by waiting till it dries in winter then torching that poo poo

doesn't kill it for good but keeps it claiming further land

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

I think they meant they had to do it from the beginning in the technical debt sense. They'd likely have to and add "tags" to various actions and events, optimize how they're checked so the music doesnt lag or take up too much game cycles, and add logic about how to mix all of them together.

Ideally a really dedicated modder might be able to do it for them.

A certain set of scores for a biter attack, or setting up a mining camp, or when your lights start to go out. These would be cool. If the orchestral music is actually good, sometimes this can be overdone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KillHour posted:

Weirdly, they're not using this to do any kind of dynamic reactivity to in-game events, which seems very odd considering how much work it must have been. Their justification is that they would have had to plan the music from the beginning that way, but I don't really buy that.

I hope they expand the API to allow this.

What i'd like to see is the way you can set up things to transition to multiple possible choices, to either set the weight, or push to an accumulator variable to skew the weighting one way as events trigger. So eg a bunch of onBiterDeath events can push your gen weight quickly toward a path where it will have a 100% chance of jumping to a more frantic combat beat.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Yea, this seems odd to have dynamically generated music that is not connected to gameplay.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It’s a bit more complicated than just checking if biters are being shot or whatever though. It’d be weird if intense combat music started while you were setting up an iron mine because a wave of biters got mulched by your walls.

Darox fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 20, 2024

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Teledahn posted:

Yea, this seems odd to have dynamically generated music that is not connected to gameplay.

It makes sense. The idea is to mix up the music a bit so it doesn't get quite so monotonous and repetitive over hundreds of hours of playtime, by chopping the music up into various pieces and layers and letting those pieces switch themselves out over time.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Vizuyos posted:

It makes sense. The idea is to mix up the music a bit so it doesn't get quite so monotonous and repetitive over hundreds of hours of playtime, by chopping the music up into various pieces and layers and letting those pieces switch themselves out over time.

This is true. Most games don't expect you to be playing them for many hours on end. Repeatedly.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I actually don't really get it. Part of what makes games memorable is the music, and being able to hear it later and remember the game. I frequently put on soundtracks to games like Chrono Trigger, FF7, VVVVVV, etc because the music is so good and reminds me of those games. When I'm watching Factorio or minecraft streams/vods that keep the default music it's a fun connection to know I've listened to those exact tracks for hours on end as well.

I'm sure the dynamic music will be good and cool but I vastly prefer to have fixed tracks that take up permanent residence in my brain. I just did a run through Terraria again and that overworld music was like coming home.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It still has permanent tracks. In fact they excitedly announced more permanent tracks on top of the one you will never be able to forget. But even more does not cover 1000 + hours of game time. So now the new procedural stuff as filler between silences and the orchestral score.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Quoting this post from another thread:

Count Roland posted:

I've been playing Factorio, a game that started out good in early access and was slowly but steadily improved upon until 1.0. This year there is a free 2.0 version coming out, with a large number of qol improvements, along with a paid expansion pack with many more features. All this stuff is thoroughly documented in a weekly blog. It really seems like the devs have thought of everything.

So I guess I'll keep playing that.

What's this about Factorio 2.0 being free? I know the space expansion is coming out and will be a paid DLC, but are they making the base game free? Or just the update? Can you still play multiplayer with the free version?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sounds more like Count Wrongland tbh

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The base game will still cost money, but the qol changes in "2.0" will be free for everyone who owns it. Space age will be a paid expansion on top of the base game.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Things like the overhauled circuit and train systems, elevated railways, and modifications to the first planet's terrain generation are going to be available for everyone, even if you don't have the expansion. The blogs have been pretty good at pointing out when things are in 2.0 or in the expansion when either might make sense, like the quality system is expansion-only.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Took a bit of a break due to irl stuff, but continued my bob/angels run with a few extras(basically, everything in the Seablock pack minus seablock itself, plus the angels stuff not included in it), and god drat this modpack continues to be a doozy. At 91 hours, I finally put together plastic.

Probably not the best design, but functional until I make my Real Base in another 100 hours. loving petrochemicles.

Shot of the entire base so far. Just need to make liquid resin and I can FINALLY make red circuits. The amount of industry this modpack needs is loving insane. :shepface:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Manyorcas posted:

Things like the overhauled circuit and train systems, elevated railways, and modifications to the first planet's terrain generation are going to be available for everyone, even if you don't have the expansion. The blogs have been pretty good at pointing out when things are in 2.0 or in the expansion when either might make sense, like the quality system is expansion-only.

Right, we're getting a massive free update (2.0) and and a paid DLC (Space Age).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I fell into a Factorio binge a few weeks ago but the more I read about 2.0 and space age it kinda kills my desire to get back into it knowing that I'm gonna be optimising stuff that immediately become obsolete when it releases.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I actually don't really get it. Part of what makes games memorable is the music, and being able to hear it later and remember the game. I frequently put on soundtracks to games like Chrono Trigger, FF7, VVVVVV, etc because the music is so good and reminds me of those games. When I'm watching Factorio or minecraft streams/vods that keep the default music it's a fun connection to know I've listened to those exact tracks for hours on end as well.

I'm sure the dynamic music will be good and cool but I vastly prefer to have fixed tracks that take up permanent residence in my brain. I just did a run through Terraria again and that overworld music was like coming home.

Assuming each track has distinctive themes it would still be memorable. It's like how a movie soundtrack has themes for certain stuff but ideally remixes them rather than just hits play on the exact same track repeatedly.

Also I see why they didnt go for combat music because combat in factorio isnt usually a drawn out pulse pounding thing. Biters regularly run up and eat your stuff/get killed and then when you do die it's usually very sudden when one sneaks through.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 22, 2024