Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Another day, another build. This time taking advantage of the *much* cheaper method of producing wooden boards directly from cutting wood instead of through paper. There's too many machines for the trickle of copper coming in, but if I ever have 22.5 copper plates a second handy it will make 15 circuit boards a second.

Also you get to see the current sheet and plate production and a slow but infinite green science setup. Moving to the bus so I can make my mall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ignoranus posted:

...I still want some QOL mods installed. Off of the top of my head, I'm going for:

Mod-list...

Are there any other obvious ones you could suggest?

My mod list that I pretty much have to have now would be:
YARM
Long Reach (assuming it's similar to your Factorio Reach)
Either Tinystart OR Construction Drones (can use both but if you have construction drones the regular quickstart bots are painfully slow in comparison so I end up not using them).
Squeak Through
Even Distribution (never going to play without this again!)
Side Inserters
Max Rate Calculator (shows input/output of a single assembler or any group of assemblers you highlight and accounts for all mods affecting them)

Optional mods:
Some method of getting water wherever - your Explosive Excavation is fine for this, or Noxy's Waterfill or WaterWell
Mining Drones (I really like these)
Some sort of lighting mod like "Afraid of the Dark" or "In Built Lighting" or both
Big Brother (better radar at the cost of more power consumption)
Bottleneck (shows me whether assemblers are backed up or waiting on stuff)
FNEI (used to look up recipes - this is mostly for modded games like Seablock or Krastorio 2)
Helmod (also mostly for modded games to plan production lines)

For trains if you plan to be train heavy:
Logistics Train Network
OR
Train Supply Manager

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For mining I really like using the TA miners. They’re fairly cost balanced for the rate and area they cover, since it’s just one big sexy miner That replaces a bunch of regular ones. Run up, throw down one miner, a warehouse, and yellow loaders and you’re done. And the upgraded versions are double, then double again the output. They won’t work without warehouses and loaders though. (Although for the largest miner you can technically fill 4 blue belts from three sides of a warehouse with upgraded stack inserters if you hate loaders)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I marked my forest cutting mod as deprecated on the mod portal today because I realized Mining Drones can harvest trees as well and does it much nicer than my mod did.

For what I usually play in terms of QoL mods:

Bottleneck
Construction Drones
Disco Science
Even Distribution
Far Reach
Honk
Lightorio (All building emit a small amount of light, pairs very well with Clockwork)
Mining Drones
Squeak Through
VehicleSnap

Clockwork isn't really a QoL mod, quite the opposite. It makes days longer but the nights are much darker.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I haven't played in a long while, and this is the first time I'm returning with the in-game mod browser and holy poo poo this thing is AWESOME. You can even search by author name (rather than just the name of the mod) and find all of their mods.

Basically this is useful for GotLag's mods. :v:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Agree totally that construction & logistic drones are fun as heck but watching some of Nilaus' K2 playthrough I think I will leave them off my eventual K2 playthrough, they seem to decrease the complexity of the game a lot because you can (very early) get into cell based production, and it almost removes the puzzle of locating resources really early. You can plop down oil wherever right from the first patch and stick logistics drones on it.

I do not mind removing the "mine resources" puzzle which we've all done 50,000x but the core of the early game (of a new mod playthrough) is definitely "deal with this fuckin spaghetti"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

DelphiAegis posted:

Basically this is useful for GotLag's mods. :v:

Or you can use it to look for actually good mods

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 17, 2020

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

GotLag posted:

Or you can use it to look for actually good mods

flow control, side inserters and honk are actually good mods

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
poo poo, now it looks like I'm desperately fishing for compliments

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Compliments: A mod that compliments the player for hundreds of minor miscellaneous milestones, like extracting the first 1000 ore, or building 20 steam engines...

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have to turn off Honk. After working around my train yard for an hour my wife told me that she was sick of that goddamn honking game. I have to admit that when you have multiple training crossing constantly, it does get overmuch. If we could designate a Honk Free zone it would be perfect.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You can change honk settings! I turned off the the long honk for much the same reasons

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Installed Rampant, got a great starting spot, started off everything right, was just about to finish building my first iron smelting line for the main bus when a scouting party of bugs destroyed everything.

Oh man that's loving epic. Wish I knew ahead of time that biters would attack without being provoked by pollution. It's been a couple of days since I've last played now, think I might just uninstall rampant :)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Rampant is very hard if you're not good + fast at factorio already.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Yeah, I just kind of wanted AI that didn't mindlessly run into the same wall of turrets every 20 minutes. I just need to git gud.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've launched my first rocket in Factorio.

56 hours of gameplay, with lots of time spent meandering or idling. It was my second game, my first being aborted around the time I got to engines. My second game I started with a better understanding. I have a bus, albeit a very sloppy one. Spaghetti is terrible compared to the stuff you guys post, but by my standards it isn't bad. Just lurking this thread for a few years has passively made me a much better player.

I'm eager to play more, though launching that rocket is going to absolutely destroy my base. I'd maxed out the tech tree for everything below space science, so my factory was largely idle except the parts to make the rocket. Despite this copper is in very short supply. I saved the game just when I put the 1k space science into my labs, meaning that all my science lines are going to start chugging away again. I expect brownouts, then a severe copper shortage when those are fixed, then multiple other shortages when that's fixed. But at least now I know the solution. I must expand. I must always expand.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dont Touch ME posted:

Yeah, I just kind of wanted AI that didn't mindlessly run into the same wall of turrets every 20 minutes. I just need to git gud.
You can tune a lot of the properties in Rampant and adjust how aggressive they are.

It's strongly recommended that you play with Rampant Arsenal along with Rampant, you're going to need the extra firepower.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Collateral Damage posted:

You can tune a lot of the properties in Rampant and adjust how aggressive they are.

It's strongly recommended that you play with Rampant Arsenal along with Rampant, you're going to need the extra firepower.

Do masses of laser turrets not cut it anymore? Usually by the time I get artillery I'm virtually post-scarcity and just build a huge battery of train guns with a constant supply of shells.

I also installed AAI vehicles and the programming mod for them, was going to see about just building a swarm of laser tanks in the late game.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Does anyone know if there's a way to add trees to blueprints? Krastorio allows you to manufacture trees in greenhouses that you can place manually, but planting tens of thousands of trees by hand is way more tedious than even I can stand.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I feel dumb, but I'll just own up and ask. How does the "Beacon" column work in the kirkmcdonald calculator?

I'm using a furnace setup similar to this one. Each furnace is getting 8 beacons worth of speed modules thanks to a tip earlier in the thread. I used the calculator and came up with 13 furnaces per line. So I built it, but it didn't max out the belt. So went a looked at the original (I tried not to just directly copy it because that's no fun and felt like cheating) and it has 16. So I assumed the Beacon column really did just mean # of beacons so I changed it to 8 beacons and it said I'd need 22 not 16.

Confused, I looked at the furnaces in game and plugged the bonuses into Doomeer as a third opinion. It agreed that I'd need 13 furnaces. So what gives?

As usual I've probably just missed something incredibly simple.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That smelter blueprint is from before they changed the belt speed.

While 13 furnaces is enough to fill a belt, 7 furnaces are required to fill half a belt. That setup there makes two half belts and merges them at the end. Unless you built a special edge case contraption where one furnaces feeds on to both belt sides, you're going to have a bottleneck there.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Travic posted:

Ok I feel dumb, but I'll just own up and ask. How does the "Beacon" column work in the kirkmcdonald calculator?

The number you enter in the column is the number of beaconed modules affecting the production. Since beacons hold 2 modules you'd want to put in 16 here with 8 beacons.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Freaksaus posted:

The number you enter in the column is the number of beaconed modules affecting the production. Since beacons hold 2 modules you'd want to put in 16 here with 8 beacons.

That's what I thought so I wonder what I messed up in the build.

Dr. Stab posted:

That smelter blueprint is from before they changed the belt speed.

While 13 furnaces is enough to fill a belt, 7 furnaces are required to fill half a belt. That setup there makes two half belts and merges them at the end. Unless you built a special edge case contraption where one furnaces feeds on to both belt sides, you're going to have a bottleneck there.

Ah ok. I'll have to check the setup once I get home, but I thought it was outputting to both sides. I thought they increased the throughput of the belt though? Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm not thinking clearly.

Thanks for the help.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Travic posted:

That's what I thought so I wonder what I messed up in the build.

Ah ok. I'll have to check the setup once I get home, but I thought it was outputting to both sides. I thought they increased the throughput of the belt though? Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm not thinking clearly.

Thanks for the help.

The setup as a whole outputs to both sides, but each individual furnace only ever corresponds to one side of the output belt.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone been keeping up with the factorio speedruns? Team steelaxe has been doing any% runs for the past few weeks now and they just managed to launch a rocket in 1:04:18. It's a very specific mapseed with huge starting patches and no biters, but it's still impressive to see how quickly a team of 8 people can get to the rocket launch.

Still hoping they can break that 1 hour mark, they've been slowly chipping away at their own best times.

A lot of little things they do can be really useful for early game stuff, the way they set up certain smelters and use boxes to stock up on stuff without letting things go idle is useful even when you're just playing by yourself and want to get out of burner city asap.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Factorio speedrunning is excellent to watch and the multiplayer runs are particularly fun. They are a great source of early game builds that are efficient and super quick and easy to lay out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Freaksaus posted:

Has anyone been keeping up with the factorio speedruns? Team steelaxe has been doing any% runs for the past few weeks now and they just managed to launch a rocket in 1:04:18. It's a very specific mapseed with huge starting patches and no biters, but it's still impressive to see how quickly a team of 8 people can get to the rocket launch.

Still hoping they can break that 1 hour mark, they've been slowly chipping away at their own best times.

A lot of little things they do can be really useful for early game stuff, the way they set up certain smelters and use boxes to stock up on stuff without letting things go idle is useful even when you're just playing by yourself and want to get out of burner city asap.

I'm a newb, but putting boxes on my lines is something I do almost by instinct. An idling line is dangerous, when it starts back up you can get brownouts and unexpected shortages of things. Keep that poo poo running to better build!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok got some screenshots. It's not as bad as I thought, but its not perfect.

Here's the output from a few furnace lines.

Here's a close-up of how I designed it. One lane of ore in. One lane of plates out.

I'm abusing the fact that the inserters for the bottom furnaces (There are six in a line) will output to one side of the belt and inserters for the top row (7 of them) will output to the other side.

I guess the answer is just to use 7 and 7 since you said that's what it takes to saturate half a belt. Instead of the 13 the calculator recommended.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 20, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're using 13, then you need to come up with some way to split that 13th one's output between both sides of the belt. Otherwise you've just got 7 and 6, and the side of the belt that's only getting 6 won't be saturated.

Lane-balancing can help, but you can't just do it at the end, it'd need to be somewhere in the middle.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, you can use two inserters to put the 13th on both sides and it will evenly place them between the two. This will give you true saturation with 13 instead of needing a whole extra smelter.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
There's a few different ways to get the 13th furnace to balance onto two lanes, and all of them will be orders of magnitude cheaper than the extra modules required to support the 14th furnace, so it's probably worth figuring it out. I don't have an example handy but I could probably whip one up tomorrow if nobody else posts one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Really the question is whether you want to make an extra furnace for the sake of symmetry.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
With K2 I'm still in the push to the final science chip. I've had to double or triple pretty much every resource, including power. My base has grown so far out on the bus side that it's reached my first train serviced ore site. I guess this means I should have used belts instead of trains for that site. My love for logistics bots grow with each session. It's so simple now to say "huh... looks like I need another 40 crushers" and just plop it down anywhere there's space and the bots take care of the input and output. One surprise for me has been how much plastic I need. Two full green belts isn't cutting it. The Low density Structure lines are just eating up everything I throw at it, and it still looks like there's never enough LDS.

Does anyone actually use enriched ore? I never saw the point. Maybe at superbase stages, but right now ore patches are plentiful.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 20, 2020

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think I still use this for furnaces from wayyy back? Is there something more efficient? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&userid=128731&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post475933328

non-beacon:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to add trees to blueprints? Krastorio allows you to manufacture trees in greenhouses that you can place manually, but planting tens of thousands of trees by hand is way more tedious than even I can stand.
I think this is what you want: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/gn868w/krastorio2_and_treeeees/

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bhodi posted:

I think I still use this for furnaces from wayyy back? Is there something more efficient? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&userid=128731&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post475933328

non-beacon:

The other style is one tile narrower. A less compact style is generally cheaper, but by the time you're building beaconed furnaces, I can guarantee that you do not care about the costs of underground belts, and do care about how quickly you get from one side of the factory to another.

Is this screenshot from before you could get full compression off of inserters? There's a ton of effort put into splitting and remerging this line several times over, to the point where it would be more expensive than the compact version.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do.

Jabor posted:

Really the question is whether you want to make an extra furnace for the sake of symmetry.

Oh no...my old nemesis. I have wasted untold hours on symmetry.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Here's one way to make the 13th furnace work:

The priority is important to ensure that the 13th furnace buffers its output. The lamp was just there for me to verify that it never dropped below a full belt. Works in any orientation.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

With K2 I'm still in the push to the final science chip. I've had to double or triple pretty much every resource, including power. My base has grown so far out on the bus side that it's reached my first train serviced ore site. I guess this means I should have used belts instead of trains for that site. My love for logistics bots grow with each session. It's so simple now to say "huh... looks like I need another 40 crushers" and just plop it down anywhere there's space and the bots take care of the input and output. One surprise for me has been how much plastic I need. Two full green belts isn't cutting it. The Low density Structure lines are just eating up everything I throw at it, and it still looks like there's never enough LDS.

Does anyone actually use enriched ore? I never saw the point. Maybe at superbase stages, but right now ore patches are plentiful.

I finished K2 the other day (charged the uh charge-y thinger). I ended up building an entire second factory with its own smelting and plastic manufacturing that produced only low density structures and trained it into the main base for science packs and rocket launching. It was pretty astonishing just how much LDS you need for the last science packs. About half of my copper and plastic was going into those things. Fortunately those science packs are only used in a handful of techs (unless the infinite researches start adding more types of packs as they level up?) so you don't have to worry about them long-term.

I experimented with enriched ores a bit. I think it's a 50% increase in productivity? With the endgame chemical plants and furnaces and the extra module slots they have I imagine you could get a very compact smelting setup. The rock waste product is annoying if your smelting is remote but not a big deal. Like you say it's probably not something to worry about unless you're going for a megabase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There was at least one poster several weeks ago talking about playing K2 with another mod which either integrated with it by expanding on the endgame stuff, or is its own standalone thing that doesn't conflict and serves to have a similar effect of reworking or expanding the options for repeating research.

I just had the thought that I wouldn't mind another run through the K2 start now that I have a feel for it, but I loaded up my save this morning and wasn't really inspired by the idea of automating all the stuff I'd need to build out all the Terrawatts. Slamming something new in when I'm in fully-automated nuclear-laser curtain wall mode with 24k logistics and 19k construction bots already will just be adding some hoops to jump through in order to do another victory lap during my victory lap, but more reasons to put in a beaconed rocket silo setup, the materials to keep it and the labs running flat out, and the power for all of that are probably enough to push me over into at least another hundred, hundred-sixty hours into a K2 factory, but I can't recall and won't easily be able to scan through recent pages for a couple of hours.