Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, when I last played, all those versions before, I did the normal play-through to the rocket, but then quit that save after that. I also ignored logistics entirely, and also got the other achievements for not building things like solar panels or laser turrets. After that, I mostly played around on rail worlds, loving with train stations and stuff till I got bored. This morning, I decided "gently caress it, the mall blueprint I have has me making logistics stuff, let's try that out". So, I tentatively placed a few roboports, built a stack of logistics bots, and set up a quick test thing to get stuff for yellow science from my mall over to the other side of my science area. Basically through some of the thicker spaghetti in my current factory layout. And it works perfectly and flawlessly and much faster and better than a belt setup would've done.

Oh no. I have made a terrible mistake.

EDIT: Oh this is a terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Is there a discord for factorio goons?

I've done a few playthroughs and have been making a vanilla+ kinda mod (this is my usual MO with modding), and it's been fun. might be looking for some of that pseudo 3d sprite artwork help maybe! As well as folks to try it out (if they like that sort of thing!)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
After finishing krastorio I figured I might as well go try angleblobs, for the first time in, uh, some number of years. I still dislike using logistic bots for anything other than personal resupply, but I'm also not quixotic enough to do a pure belt angleblobs factory. I installed transport drones as a compromise: they're still basically logistic bots, but they can only travel on a road that you can't build other things on and they only deliver to and from depot chests on the side of the road. They end up feeling sort of bus-like and cosy.

Right now I've finished most of the chemical science builds and have just hooked up logistical, production and utility science packs to the labs.

Moderately messy base. I'll settle on a road width one day, maybe, if it feels important (symmetry is, like, a limitation of a narrow mind, man):

(click for 12Kx8K)

Map with shameful radar coverage -- I have power issues, it's not my fault, a biter stole my radars:

This took about 50 hours, and it's still tiny for bobs. Half of it AFK watching Netflix, but still.

I'm happy I got this far on a no-logistics restriction but it's painful to run a botless bobsmod factory at this point. I end up spending a lot of time running around grabbing a dozen random things all over the base to build my Liquifier IV or whatever. I'll try to keep running science and intermediaries (gears, bearings, pipes, chips etc) on the transport drones, but beyond that it's time to do some targeted research and then go ham on the logibots to just build all the damned buildings and equipment for me.

Very Important Mod Opinions:
- Angleblobs is about what I remember, and still does a lot of complexity of the sake of complexity. I like some of their ideas, like the reusable filters and catalysts and some of the ore and petrochem balancing puzzles -- although needing rubber to set up a circuit network to do said balancing unless you cheat with blueprints is extremely daft. I will never understand the love of having tons upgradable buildings that have identical functionality with higher numbers. Higher numbers aren't intrinsically fun: the stuff you do to get higher numbers is potentially fun. Direct upgrades makes getting higher numbers boring. Playing bobs does have the benefit of novelty after 5 years of vanilla (and a K2 run), I'm still enjoying the playthrough. I guess I wish there was an overhaul mod that similarly threw out all the vanilla recipes and buildings, but replaced them with a well thought-out progression of roughly the same complexity as vanilla instead of rear end in a top hat Recipes That Feel Like Work as tends to be the norm. Krastorio did a better job at keeping things reasonable, but also changes fewer things outside of the end game and the end game is its weakest part.
- Transport Drones are great and did exactly what I wanted: they gave me an early-midgame belt simplifying bus replacement that doesn't remove all the fun belt logistics from the game like logibots. I set them to eat Liquid Fuel which seemed about right, it meant I had to do a decent chunk of petrochem before I could make use of them. The vanilla setting is petroleum gas, but you can change it mid-game (which was fortunate since petroleum gas doesn't exist in my game). They're also super cute. A+ would mod again.
- RSO is another mod I haven't used in ages. The spawning seems a little weird, the distribution is very clustered and very rich. I feel like I've needed to expand very little and I didn't bump up resource richness at all. That might just have been an angelbobs thing, and I think I might have accidentally made my starting area huge. I really dislike that it doesn't preview, I did some test spawns but felt very hard to know what I'd get. Doesn't feel all that useful compared to current vanilla spawning, unless you're already familiar with the mod and know exactly what your tweaks will do.

[E:] Right, forgot to include the most important screenshot. This is Chem Hell:

It works perfectly. I think.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 20, 2020

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Is Industrial Revolution dead in .18? Everything I can find looks like the author ragequit and left the mod at 0.17.

Someone apparently made a working patch for .18 but due to whatever stupid-rear end-licensing the IR author chose, Wube removed it from the portal, citing IP issues, leaving IR dead at .17

Unless someone knows something I don't?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah the IR author had a dummy spit and quit modding because of dumb reasons I've never fully found out but appear to relate to not being able to tell people to go away or switch off, and then blowing up over it.

He also had a special snowflake license and won't allow anyone to upload a fixed version but he graciously "allows" users to modify their local copies :fuckoff:

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Wow. He sounds fun.

Thanks for the info!

Is there a guide for updating mods from version .17 to .18/1.0 out there somewhere? I'd like to try this out but don't even know where to start for the conversion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be a shame if someone published a diff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Industrial Revolution was extremely fun and I played something like a 200 hour run of it, which I posted about a few times in my choppy, cryptic, and wordy fashion at length.

I really liked the steampunk-flavored early industrial phase, where a bunch of your automation is still running on burner machines since you haven’t scaled out either electricity or parts production for electric assemblers and poo poo. And the start of the approach to recycling, though it was obviously not fleshed out (what do you mean I no longer need a ton of bronze ingots when I’m in a place to feed hundreds of replaced bronze machines into a shredder?!)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My understanding was that they didn't want other people making money off the work they put into the mod, including by making money off streaming themselves playing it, released their mod under a license that they believed was aligned with their wishes, and then got a lot of hate from some twitch streamers and their communities who had to be more explicitly told that hey, streaming this is no bueno.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why in gently caress would you oppose people streaming it?

Edit: I don't stream, or pay any money to streamers, it's not really my thing. I really can't fathom what line of reasoning would lead to getting mad at a streamer playing a mod I made. It's not like the streamer is costing me any money or anything.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 21, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A lot of mod authors are intolerable spergs. Games forcing user-friendly licenses on mods is a good thing that doesn't happen often enough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GotLag posted:

Why in gently caress would you oppose people streaming it?

I dunno but if that's his preference then that's his preference, and he shouldn't have to put up with shitflinging from people that are upset their favourite streamerman got told "no".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jabor posted:

I dunno but if that's his preference then that's his preference, and he shouldn't have to put up with shitflinging from people that are upset their favourite streamerman got told "no".

I don't care if it's his preference, it's stupid and unreasonable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GotLag posted:

I don't care if it's his preference, it's stupid and unreasonable.

Yeah, the mod author realising that more people would agree with you than would agree with him is probably part of why he gave it up.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
brb adding a clause to my mod license forbidding screenshots or two people in the same room while playing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure if you put a disclaimer on Honk saying nobody could use it on streams and videos, the Factorio LP community would dissolve overnight.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is that even something you can demand under the modding EULA? I'd imagine if it's published on the mod site, people can play it however they want. Editing might be another matter, but viewing?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

K8.0 posted:

A lot of mod authors are intolerable spergs. Games forcing user-friendly licenses on mods is a good thing that doesn't happen often enough.

but but but that's my favourite thing about modding

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

pixaal posted:

quick someone figure out how to extend this into receiving commands from a website to allow for remotely playing factorio using your web browser

Honestly, the guy is crazy and would probably do it if you suggested it in IRC

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jabor posted:

Based on his post history on the Factorio forums he was frequently demeaning, petty and insulting to anyone who posted anything less than unreserved praise, including people who politely pointed out code issues with his mod. And he was perfectly OK with Google and Twitch making money off his content as long as the streamers were left high and dry. I have no sympathy for him, good riddance.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Fishbus posted:

but but but that's my favourite thing about modding

Kindatrue it comes to the TES modding community. I'm not sure if the best part is the making completely broken games playable or the insane drama about modpacks and "stolen" textures.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gadzuko posted:

he was frequently demeaning, petty and insulting to anyone who posted anything less than unreserved praise, including people who politely pointed out code issues with his mod.

To think Roger Ebert said games aren't art

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

brb adding a clause to my mod license forbidding screenshots or two people in the same room while playing

The topologist defines herself to be outside the room.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Any advice for trying out a captain planet villain run? How to I make the most polluting base possible?

So far I've got:
- All steam power (solid fuel? Nuclear fuel?). No solar/nuclear
- Stick with steel furnaces? I assume those are more polluting than electric?
- Burner inserters where possible? though they are very slow...
- Trains even for short distances?
- Primary base defences with flame turrets. Avoid gun turrets since they don't use power/cause pollution
- speed modules to increase power usage and thus pollution?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

To think Roger Ebert said games aren't art

What about performance art?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Taffer posted:

Is that even something you can demand under the modding EULA? I'd imagine if it's published on the mod site, people can play it however they want. Editing might be another matter, but viewing?

Kerbal Space Program briefly had problems with some weirdo from the minecraft community putting stupid restrictions on his mods and they fixed it by making modders release under a permissive license

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 21, 2020

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Squibbles posted:

Any advice for trying out a captain planet villain run? How to I make the most polluting base possible?

So far I've got:
- Primary base defences with flame turrets. Avoid gun turrets since they don't use power/cause pollution

You've got the defense covered, but for offense:exclusively use flamers and nukes.

Also pave the world.

Also move away from belts asap. Both trains and bots use energy that comes from burning things.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dancer posted:

You've got the defense covered, but for offense:exclusively use flamers and nukes.

Also pave the world.

Also move away from belts asap. Both trains and bots use energy that comes from burning things.

Use that one mod that makes processed fuels pollute less... Then stick to coal/wood forever

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What if... copyright is a gently caress

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Squibbles posted:

So far I've got:

Hell, stick to stone furnaces so you need 2x of them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Squibbles posted:

So far I've got:

Trees absorb pollution, so make sure you cut them down and burn them ASAP.
Burner miners are insanely polluting, something like 2.5x the pollution of an electric miner.
Flamethrowers cause pollution directly so they are clearly the best type of weapon.
Once you have modules, go electric furnaces, you'll pollute more. On coal power an electric furnace is 3.5 pollution/minute compared to a steel furnace's 4. A stone furnace is only 2, so no advantage there.
Placed tiles (concrete is the most resource-efficient) absorb 0 pollution, increasing its spread.
Lights consume a bit of power which means they produce pollution. Make a blueprint of lights, using colors rather than spaces to maximize power consumption, that says "gently caress YOU CAPTAIN PLANET" and stamp it down everywhere you have free space.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 21, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

K8.0 posted:

Lights consume a bit of power which means they produce pollution. Make a blueprint of lights, using colors rather than spaces to maximize power consumption, that says "gently caress YOU CAPTAIN PLANET" and stamp it down everywhere you have free space.

Yes, have some.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Incredible suggestions so far. Very nice indeed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

K8.0 posted:

Placed tiles (concrete is the most resource-efficient) absorb 0 pollution, increasing its spread.

Refined concrete uses more resources, which means more mining and processing, which means more pollution

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Squibbles posted:

So far I've got:

Use coal liquefaction for all your oil needs.

Artillery barrages leave permanent craters, I think, so unleash lots of those.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just searched the mod portal, and there's no mods that make captain planet and the planeteers replace biters as enemies.

I feel like I have to fix this injustice

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Platystemon posted:

Use coal liquefaction for all your oil needs.

Artillery barrages leave permanent craters, I think, so unleash lots of those.

Coal liquification would mean more processing and thus pollution, so that's good for sure.

What's the significance of permanent craters? Similar to concrete? Or just aesthetically pollution-y?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Start wildfires.

Squibbles posted:

Coal liquification would mean more processing and thus pollution, so that's good for sure.

What's the significance of permanent craters? Similar to concrete? Or just aesthetically pollution-y?

It’s just æsthetic, as far as I know. I was surprised they persisted.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Also, even though you clearly can't USE nuclear power, you should still build it. Unlike anything else that uses fuel, reactors will still consume fuel even when doing nothing. If you want to have an in-game excuse for it, you can build your nuke plant on an isolated power grid, and use that to power the machines that feed it. A totally useless but nonetheless polluting way to consume uranium ore and sulfuric acid.

Using coal liquefaction, crack oil light to petroleum gas, make the heavy oil + petroleum into solid fuel gives you ~53 MJ of solid fuel for 40MJ worth of coal, but there is some power consumption and a lot of pollution for the various machines involved in it. It's probably more polluting than just using coal to power everything.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use tanks as storage chests.